Oil-Stained Wolf still tamable in 4.0.1 (4.1 okay too)

Read-only since Patch 4.1 is now live.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Re: UPDATE~!!!! OIL STAIN WOLF STILL TAMBLE 4.0.1!

Unread post by Acherontia »

My flaming boar on the PTR was still on fire, but I'll have another look a bit later.

Incidentally, is there a way to calm the thread title down a bit? :lol:
Himeko
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Himeko »

Acherontia wrote:My flaming boar on the PTR was still on fire, but I'll have another look a bit later.

Incidentally, is there a way to calm the thread title down a bit? :lol:
I really hope he hasn't been nerfed... He's my favorite boar in game and was a pain to tame him to keep his flames. I'd be sad if his flames really was lost...

Himeko

Some say Legion will be the downfall of WoW, I disagree. WoD was the downfall and Legion will be there to raise WoW from the dead.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Certainly. :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Re: Oil-Stained Wolf still tamable in 4.0.1 (4.1 change?)

Lol, thank you :lol:

In any case--just popped on the PTR again, and I'm happy to say that Inferno is still quite inferno-ey.

The appearance-buffed pets are also still tameable with buffs; I managed one on the third or fourth try, then tried the Felscale Crawlers for thirty or so crabs before deciding that if I'm going to get a screenshot, I may as well do it with the Oily wolves. So I'm going out there now to see if it's still doable (based on the others I've tried today it certainly should be) on the PTR; will post pics if it's successful.

Edit--yup, Oil-Stained Wolves are tameable with the oily coat on the current (4.1) PTR build. No need to mass panic and tame them all today--although bear in mind the PTR changes pretty much daily.

Attachments
Inferno.png
Inferno.png (367.72 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
fourpointone.png
fourpointone.png (324.66 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Re: Oil-Stained Wolf still tamable in 4.0.1 (4.1 seems okay

Unread post by Cialbi »

Himeko, you made the same mistake I did. After seeing failed attempt after failed attempt at taming a purple bear with the macro, I had concluded that it couldn't be done anymore (my stubborn side had kicked in already by that point, so I kept on trying in futility anyways :lol:). So, when I was on my Petopian hunter later, I heard OldBones announce his triumph in taming the Lone Hunter with nothing but the macro, patience, and luck. So, cue another round of taming consumed bears in that damned thicket! Got fed up, and was moving on to do some nearby quests; I figured 'why not?' and took off south along the road. Along came a spider bear, walking casually towards the road. Ah, another Consumed Thistle Bear. I thought 'why not; it won't work', and proceed to dismount and tame. The bear vanished a lot faster than any of the others; it still appeared to be a hostile NPC closing in on me by the time my macro made it disappear. In a calm elation, I wander off and try to tame the first thing I find. "You have too many pets already". Log out, see the bear on the character select screen, log back in, and summon a purple bear!
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Tuls
Realm: Frostwolf

Re: Oil-Stained Wolf still tamable in 4.0.1 (4.1 seems okay

Unread post by Tuls »

I think I may have done the quest already on my hunter, is it too late for me to tame one of these wolves?
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Oil-Stained Wolf still tamable in 4.0.1 (4.1 okay too)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Note: All credit for the discovery of this process goes to Griffley and Acherontia.

No, not at all, Tuls. Just make the following macro:

Code: Select all

/script PetAbandon()
Be forewarned; this macro will instantly abandon your summoned pet without asking for confirmation, so do yourself a favor and only put this macro on your actionbars when you're about to use it. However, if you tame and abandon a pet at pretty much the same time, something funny will happen. The pet will disappear as normal, and can't be summoned. However, you will have a phantom pet taking up one of your Call Pet slots. However, if you log out, you will see that your character on the character selection screen is accompanied by whatever beast you last tamed. Log back in, and the phantom pet can now be summoned, and will start out for some odd reason with their default behavior set to Aggressive. One click, and you never encounter that problem again. This glitch will cause your new pet to keep any buffs that it possessed before the tame. Most buffs are cleansed upon death (of your or your pet, interestingly enough), but a few are not, and the Oil-Stained Wolf is one of the six beasts that have a permanent buff which can only be cleansed by entering an arena match or rated BG.

The method behind this kind of tame is quite simple. Tame the beast in question, and start spamming the PetAbandon macro as the tame nears completion. The beast will almost always become tamed (and cleansed of buffs), then shortly thereafter abandoned by you spamming the macro. Occasionally, you will get lucky and use the macro at just the right moment for the above to occur.

A final disclaimer: do not tame beasts using this method who have damage-dealing or stat-increasing buffs that give you an unfair advantage. This is a glitch, and the devs have told us through informal channels that they are turning a blind eye so long as we only use exploit this glitch to preserve purely cosmetic buffs on beasts. You shouldn't get into any serious trouble from taming, say, a, Oil-Stained Worg, but the same cannot be said if you tame a beast with a buff that is more than cosmetic.

_____

irwinn
Realm: Boulderfist

Unread post by irwinn »

wait you can still get the oil stained wolf in the current 4.06 patch?
Kalliope

Yep. And the other appearance-changed pets too.

There's a handy resource thread of stickies that includes this information at the top of this forum: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2082

YouTube Edition

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

Kalliope, there is no way to learn of the PetAbandon method by looking in the resource sticky, since Griffley removed any mention of it from his guide, and Acherontia's guide isn't linked (I'm aware that it got locked).

_____

Kalliope

Cialbi wrote:Kalliope, there is no way to learn of the PetAbandon method by looking in the resource sticky, since Griffley removed any mention of it from his guide, and Acherontia's guide isn't linked (I'm aware that it got locked).
O_o

Ach's guide is the first link in the second post.

If something needs to be updated/fixed, let me know.

YouTube Edition

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

Ah, that helps. I was too lazy to go digging for Acherontia's old thread, hence my lengthy post earlier.

_____

Kalliope

That's what the stickied resource thread is for. :D

YouTube Edition

w0lfgang

Unread post by w0lfgang »

Been trying the spam method on live servers for the last three days on oily's and the bears with no luck :evil: Even tried having someone kill them just as they tamed. Had several that looked good, but was always able to attempt a tame on the next bear. Glad to hear that others are still having luck getting things on live servers....back to the grindstone I suppose.
Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Outland - EU

Unread post by Griffley »

FuzzyDolly wrote:OK, so let me see if I follow this...

1) remove all gear to hast is zero
2) lay down trap
3) bait wolf
4) wolf hits trap
5) when trap time hits 16 seconds, start taming
6) cross your fingers it works

So distance has nothing to do with it? I don't know why I'm having such a hard tiem grasping this concept, and for that I apologize. I want to try this soon but want to make sure I understand the nuances before finding someone that hasn't done the quest yet.

No.
Just Tame it, remember howm uch too soon or too early you were, and adjust it for next time,
that way you will be really close as of your third try.
Dont make this hard for yourself.
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

Griffley wrote:
FuzzyDolly wrote:OK, so let me see if I follow this...

1) remove all gear to hast is zero
2) lay down trap
3) bait wolf
4) wolf hits trap
5) when trap time hits 16 seconds, start taming
6) cross your fingers it works

So distance has nothing to do with it? I don't know why I'm having such a hard tiem grasping this concept, and for that I apologize. I want to try this soon but want to make sure I understand the nuances before finding someone that hasn't done the quest yet.

No.
Just Tame it, remember howm uch too soon or too early you were, and adjust it for next time,
that way you will be really close as of your third try.
Dont make this hard for yourself.
Why even do it this way anymore... there is a better and easier method now.

Of course it requires two empty pet slots.

I think the "how" can be found somewhere on the forums... I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... ar#p193596

Just an update on the above link... the process works, but sometimes I had to purposely try to raise my latency in order for the little bit of "lag" to be there to accomplish the task. I would try it first though.. it still works as of right now.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Himeko
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Himeko »

I use two methods to getting them. One is the macro trick and the other is the kill trick. Make sure it dies right as the tame is complete and spam revive pet before the tame completes. Or do like what I do to make it easier, have a friend kill the pet right as tame completes and spam revive pet before the completes.

Himeko

Some say Legion will be the downfall of WoW, I disagree. WoD was the downfall and Legion will be there to raise WoW from the dead.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

When I tested on the PTR, I did it with the abandon macro; either way works.

I didn't find that having a pre-tamed pet made a difference one way or another, incidentally--the crabs in Blasted Lands I couldn't get tamed after 20-30 attempts either way, the wolves took about 5 or 6 tries before it worked.
Himeko
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Himeko »

I guess it's just my rotten luck. Nothing works for me... =\

Himeko

w0lfgang

Unread post by w0lfgang »

For anyone having problems with getting these pets....here's what you want to do. You DO NOT need any haste, DO NOT need to take off any haste, DO NOT need to time with a kill at the time of tame, DO NOT need to time with any feeding or quest related thing, DO NOT need to do anything that will make you bang your head off the wall for five days in a row like I did with ALL of these old methods.

PREP: Ensure that you have TWO open pet slots!

1. Find pet you want and tame it without regard to it having appearance "buff" or not.
2. DISMISS your wanna be pet (NOT abandon; keep it in your stables)
3. Trigger appearance buff and spam /script PetAbandon() at the last second or two of your tame.
4. Attempt to tame another pet and get the "you already have a pet" error.
5. Log out (will see pet on character screen) (do not exit game)
6. Log back in and do your victory dance with your new sparkly pet.
7. Remove the abandon macro from your buttons!!!!!!!
8. You can now abandon the pet that does not have the appearance buff if you don't want it.

This method has worked the first time, every time, on every pet that I tried to get!

For the flaming boars, have someone catch the boar on fire 2-3 second before the tame ends and start spamming the abandon macro. You do not need to time anything except how long your victory dance will be after you log back in with your flaming boar by your side :D