Defensive/Assist - Is this accurate?

Read-only since Patch 4.2 is now live.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Defensive/Assist - Is this accurate?

Unread post by Acherontia »

So, from what I've read, Aggressive pet stance is being removed, to be replaced with Assist.

Pets set on Assist will only attack what YOU attack.

Defensive pet stance means pets will now only attack what attacks YOU, NOT what you attack.

Is this correct?? I have to keep my pet on Defensive, AND use an extra keypress to send it in, every time I attack something? OR, keep it on Assist, and toggle it Defensive every time I pop afk, or PvP? I'm trying to get a handle on whether this is true. Can anyone confirm this? If it is true, any idea WHY they changed it? I'm not particularly happy about removing Aggressive in the first place, but to me, changing Defensive seems to imply that the pet's aggro table* will be gone--making tanking multiple mobs far more of a chore.

* By aggro table, I also mean the pet's current behavior of attempting to keep aggro on all mobs, for example changing target to chase mobs that aggro you instead, etc.

Anyone on the PTR able to tell me if these changes are right, why they were made if so, and how much different it feels in practice?
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Defensive/Assist - Is this accurate?

Unread post by Kalliope »

Pets still run in while on defensive if you attack something; just confirmed that. I would think assist works better when you REALLY want control over your pet.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Oh, awesome. As long as I have one stance to both defend and assist (Defensive still by the sounds of it), I'm fine with losing Aggressive, really--minor inconvenience.

Thanks for clearing that up!
Kalliope

No problem! :D

YouTube Edition

Jelani
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Jelani »

Just have to chime in and say..

I want agressive back! ;_;

YAY! Flight Rising! Rawr!

Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

I also.. want aggressive back.. if its all about having more control over my pet I seem to be having less control over my pet.. he apparently doesnt like it when I get hit by boulders so I turn around to see him alll the way on the other side trying to kill a giant.. and he tends to enjoy attacking everything that pops up against him while on defensive, I spend way too much time with the druids/elementals cause my pet thinks its fun to continously attack :lol:

unless they make it so he can spot rogues or what not.. I am not a happy camper. Even with my flares up and what not, its easy for a rogue come in, sap and run out of my range of "hidden" and me thinking.. what the heck just hit me. They can stealth back way way too fast.. my tab abilities arent so sharp yet :(

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Jatbirkkal
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moonguard

Unread post by Jatbirkkal »

I'm not happy with the loss of Agressive either >_>

It was one of my best ways to get rogues while defending nodes in AV, AB, and guarding the flag in WSG >_>

Thanks to Vephriel for this awsome sig

"One day, this Hydra WILL be mine! I hope"- Me, before hydras were tameable.

This lovely Shale Spider used as my Avatar is made by Lupis <3
Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

I am going to miss aggressive too =(
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Blizz needs to stop taking things away to make it easier for the lazy people who apparently need help understanding the basics of controlling a pet. I WANT MY AGGRESSIVE PET BACK! (Mr.Chewybitems is not happy with this at all.) :mrgreen:

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Rawr wrote:Blizz needs to stop taking things away to make it easier for the lazy people who apparently need help understanding the basics of controlling a pet. I WANT MY AGGRESSIVE PET BACK! (Mr.Chewybitems is not happy with this at all.) :mrgreen:
Actually, it was meant to make this harder.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

SgtMakkie
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Twisting Nether EU, Bloodhoof EU

Unread post by SgtMakkie »

Rawr wrote:Blizz needs to stop taking things away to make it easier for the lazy people who apparently need help understanding the basics of controlling a pet. I WANT MY AGGRESSIVE PET BACK! (Mr.Chewybitems is not happy with this at all.) :mrgreen:

Yaay finally someone is seeing the light of how Blizzard works. Sad is not it.

SgtMakkie

Sig by Kamoodle

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.

Dahniz
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Dahniz »

Yeah I want Aggressive back too. I hate that they're taking it away and replacing it with... nothing? I mean really all Assist adds is that if you're in a fight and you start attacking something else, your pet will follow your target in a few shots. Really? As is, I have him follow my target immediately. Seems like a useless change to me. Just like Glyph of Lesser Proportion. I don't even have a glyph in that slot anymore because it's useless.

Not happy. Put Aggressive back now before release. Give Defensive that "assist" feature. And give us a glyph worth using like "Glyph of Greater Attention: Your pet will now attack whatever you've Marked."

That's my 2$
Neurotoxinx
Realm: Maelstrom (RP-PvP)

Unread post by Neurotoxinx »

^ Replacing/modifying defensive with assist made more sense to me, too.

I can't say I'll miss aggressive too much, but it IS fun stealthing my Dae, placing all of my traps, putting him on aggressive and just behind the traps, and watching a rogue trying to take back a bunker get blown up. rofl
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

If they replaced Defensive with Assist, you'd need to manually use the attack/passive commands to keep your pet on a different target (ex a healer in arena). As much as I do keybind & use attack/follow, I'd prefer that Defensive stay as-is personally.

I don't know why they can't just add a stance. We already have both stay and move to. The tiny pet bar is outdated : /
Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Unread post by Kurenio »

I honestly say get rid of passive stance who actually uses that thing anyway? and honestly what pet is just gonna sit there while their master/mistress is being killed?

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Passive can actually be very useful in cases where you need the buff, but sending the pet to attack might kill or despawn it. See: Ozumat third phase.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I've already been finding my pet acting weird these last few weeks...
I generally keep him on defensive stance, and sometimes send him in to a pack that I'll Misdirect to and Multishot. MOST of the time he's good about finishing off whatever I'm currently working on dispatching then switching to my next target, but there are times when he just runs back to me, dragging along a bunch of aggressive mobs that have tagged HIM as their target.

I seem to remember my pet, on Defensive, fighting back when something hit him? or at least, switching to whatever the next mob I'm hitting with arrows is. Lately, it seems he forgets he's in a fight and just wants to snuggle with daddy.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Kalliope

I use passive all the time. Sometimes, you just don't want your pet running off at all.

YouTube Edition

Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Unread post by Kurenio »

I've never used passive and my pet always seem to live and stay spawned >.> oh well

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Sukurachi wrote:I've already been finding my pet acting weird these last few weeks...
I generally keep him on defensive stance, and sometimes send him in to a pack that I'll Misdirect to and Multishot. MOST of the time he's good about finishing off whatever I'm currently working on dispatching then switching to my next target, but there are times when he just runs back to me, dragging along a bunch of aggressive mobs that have tagged HIM as their target.

I seem to remember my pet, on Defensive, fighting back when something hit him? or at least, switching to whatever the next mob I'm hitting with arrows is. Lately, it seems he forgets he's in a fight and just wants to snuggle with daddy.
It's been happening to me--and I'm fairly sure I remember reading accounts from others--since Cataclysm came out. Sometimes the pet, regardless of "stance," will return to you and reset his position before re-aggroing the mobs you have been shooting. It's pretty infuriating having to wait for the pet to get to you and reset before repositioning, especially if it's a tough pull and they're all pounding on your pet's rear as he runs away >.<