Void Storage

Read-only since Patch 4.3 is now live.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Void Storage

Unread post by Kayb »

So looking through post and comments on Blizz's Void Storage Preview, I came across this one, which makes a lot of sense to me.

by Ganlon
So basically, we have to pay an NPC 1000g for the privilege of allowing him to hold our items for ransom at 100g each? LOL! It's like a pawn shop without the loans.

It doesn't provide any benefit over just buying a bigger bag for your bank or using a bank mule except for the very few people who have filled all 7 bank slots with Illusionary Bags and filled every slot with Soulbound items they just can't part with. It's a pointless, useless feature.

Why this whole new clunky system at all? Just overhaul the standard bank to use the guild bank system and make something will be useful to more than just those who suffer from disposophobia.

Eliminate the standard bag based banks and switch them over to the fixed guild bank system.
Each character gets 1 personal tab for old gear and the like along with a keyring-like (expands as needed) tab for tabards.
Each account (per server would be fine) gets one shared tab for BoA items and a gold vault.
From there you could buy more or larger personal (cheap) or shared (expensive) tabs which could be used for anything.

For Blizzard, it would eliminate storage slots that increase exponentially every time Blizz makes a bigger bag which would make Blizz's much discussed overstressed server storage and databases happy.
Also, the traditional WoW bank model where you pay more to get more storage space is perceptively a lot more acceptable a gold sink than having to pay to withdraw your items.

For players, it would greatly simplify storage. It would eliminate the need for storage mules and free up some character slots for playing the game. And best of all it would allow some of the more dedicated altoholics who have all their characters in a personal guild to have the convenience of allowing all their alts a shared bank to drop their personal guilds and join up with proper guilds and experience more of the game.

The Void Storage feature as it is, is a feature that, like the first bajillion attempts at a LFG system, kills itself by trying to be innovative at the expense of not being at all useful.

Void Storage is the meeting stones of storage. For LFG we went through chat channels, LFG lists, meeting stones, inn keeper queues, etc before they finally took the simple, elegant BG queueing system we'd been using for awhile and adapted that for 5 mans and gave us the RDF tool. The perfect solution exists. Blizz just needs to stop trying so hard and use what works rather than experimenting with things destined to fail.

Original Link

I think there is a lot of merit to this concept.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Re: Void Storage

Unread post by Chimera »

Omg seriously, 1000g to buy the storage and 100g to deposit/withdraw? Seriously... this void storage was an interesting idea but now its rediculious (it seemed pretty straight forward so i never researched the details myself) -_- so much for me pondering to mass buy interesting looking armor to hold onto incase i find matching pieces

i think this guy is right on with that bank idea

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

I'm just wondering why they think everyone with full bags is rich <_<

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I do think that having a fee for both depositing AND withdrawing is a little much, but overall I'm just grateful to finally have something to help with my outfit storage. Perhaps they'll continue to fine-tune it in the future and after release, there's always room for it to evolve from the initial idea.
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Well, the prices for the void storage are not fixed yet, they made that very clear in all their posts.

That aside, I LOVE this idea. Love, love, love, love. The account-wide tabs would be amazing for the toons that share resources (such as my scribe and alchemists--whomever went herbing tosses leftovers in there, etc.) and my poor bank alt wouldn't be looking nervously over her shoulder every time she's out and about. ;) No, seriously though, not having to hop to the bank alt when I want to buy something (but still not having the gold on me when I'm just browsing the AH--a recipe for spendthriftness spendthriftyness spending all of it at once) would be great.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Mychelle »

I can understand paying the 1k to open up the storage to use...Im fine with that. Even with 10 85's. But...100g to deposit AND take out? No thanks. >.>