BIG hunter nerfs...?

Read-only since Patch 4.3 is now live.
Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Re: BIG hunter nerfs...?

Unread post by Worba »

Monica Gems wrote:Orc racial no longer affects ranged attack power, only melee.
Trueshot Aura and Abom's Might give melee 20% ap, hunters, only 10%.
There are no buffs to our abilities as far as mmo can tell.

This smells like a whole lot of bad.

I KNOW WHY THE CHANGES ARE MADE. KNOWING WHY DOESN'T CHANGE THAT WE ARE BENEFITTING 50% LESS THAN ANOTHER CLASS.50% - 10% is half, or 50% of, 20%.
Yeah. It's one thing for a support class to do stuff that benefits others more than themself, like heals and such.

But obv hunters are DPS not support - we have a few "miscellaneous" functions like everyone, a la CC, kiting and whatnot - but otherwise (with the minor exception of rhino bleed) everything we do benefits our self at least as much as everyone else.

Which is as it should be for any DPS class.

So I agree here. I don't mind the orc nerf so much - that's how it used to be e.g. simulating that at close range orcs could be particularly vicious - but marksman's buff now benefits melee DPS twice as much as the hunter himself? Great now bad hunters have a reason to turn it off so they can keep their DPS meter rankings. Woot.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I still don't see this as a bad thing.
AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

That Tier 2pc bonus is very powerful of a bonus. More Focus = more Arcane shots = more crits = more dps. The same for the 4pc bonus. Focus is everything for a Hunter and Haste is very nice as well. I think those alone would more the make up for any "Nerf"
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I wonder how many people here realize that even on live the orc racial doesn't benefit them as a hunter.
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=33697

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:I wonder how many people here realize that even on live the orc racial doesn't benefit them as a hunter.
Not many apparently. I never thought it benefited hunters. Guess I was right.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Miraga
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Unread post by Miraga »

Jessibelle wrote:
TygerDarkstorm wrote:I wonder how many people here realize that even on live the orc racial doesn't benefit them as a hunter.
I've used it all the time. Would someone roll an orc or something and test it? My account is down and this is driving me crazy.
Crashh
Realm: Frostmourne (US)

Unread post by Crashh »

I don't understand how hunters can be on PTR and not notice the MASSIVE buff they've given us.
I've yet to see it in any posts on mmo-champion or the like, but on PTR right now Aimed Shot has been reduced to 2.4s base cast time (Down from 2.9) and Steady/Cobra are now 1.5s Base Cast (Down from 2.0). I know that the datamined changes say they've been increased (When infact they were just tooltip corrections, to my knowledge they were already the numbers), the actual spells have been changed to what the original tooltips said.

Go on PTR with a castbar mod on and check your cast times, you'll see.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Miraga wrote:
Jessibelle wrote:
I've used it all the time. Would someone roll an orc or something and test it? My account is down and this is driving me crazy.
My bf just tested it and in game it does actually increase your attack power even though Wowhead is showing it as only affecting melee attack power. I apologize then for going off what the site says since I haven't been playing an orc hunter recently.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Miraga
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Unread post by Miraga »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:My bf just tested it and in game it does actually increase your attack power even though Wowhead is showing it as only affecting melee attack power. I apologize then for going off what the site says since I haven't been playing an orc hunter recently.
WHEW. You guys had me worried for a minute. ;) I didn't think I'd use it for no reason! lol
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Guess I better use my racial a bit more.

LisaaraPokefarm

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

In game the tool tip just reads as "increases attack power" whereas the wowhead version specifically says melee attack power; and this is without being in the PTR section of wowhead. Weird. Apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

[/center]
AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

Crashh wrote:I don't understand how hunters can be on PTR and not notice the MASSIVE buff they've given us.
I've yet to see it in any posts on mmo-champion or the like, but on PTR right now Aimed Shot has been reduced to 2.4s base cast time (Down from 2.9) and Steady/Cobra are now 1.5s Base Cast (Down from 2.0). I know that the datamined changes say they've been increased (When infact they were just tooltip corrections, to my knowledge they were already the numbers), the actual spells have been changed to what the original tooltips said.

Go on PTR with a castbar mod on and check your cast times, you'll see.
He is right. With 14% haste Steady shot now shows 1.28 cast time for me, Aimed Shot is 2.04. With improved Steady shot active, Steady shot is 1.11 cast time and Aimed Shot 1.78 Cast time. I also tried it with Rapid fire. This where the tooltip for Aimed Shot didn't match the actual cast time. The tool tip said Aimed Shot was 1.29 cast time and the cast time was 1.4 I believe.
Last edited by AdamSavage on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:My bf just tested it and in game it does actually increase your attack power even though Wowhead is showing it as only affecting melee attack power. I apologize then for going off what the site says since I haven't been playing an orc hunter recently.
Yes, wowhead unfortunately is not always the final word.
Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Comett »

I honestly don't feel hunters are a class in need of a nerf. I don't see many hunters doing 50k in a 5 man, but I regularly see boomkins and mages breaking that - and bursting close to 100k dps, without outside buffs like earthquake - while generally I'd say the average hunter sits around 20-25k, if that, in both 5 and 10mans. So yeah, it baffles me a little bit to be honest. I understand giving melee a boost to compromise for the added "dangers" and issues melee have, but if that is the case, that boost should either be given to individual classes, or boss mechanics should be edited to make it easier on melee. Isn't that pretty much what Blizz has been doing to content anyway, lol.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

5 mans are bad examples because of the Luck of the Draw buff you get which gives you a hefty boost to damage. ;)

[/center]
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:5 mans are bad examples because of the Luck of the Draw buff you get which gives you a hefty boost to damage. ;)
^ This

LisaaraPokefarm

Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Comett »

5% isn't an equivalent value of 20k to 50k, though. And people can all have the same buff... so I think it's a perfectly valid point ^_^

*edit cause the smiley came out grumpy and I didn't want a grumpy one!

Kikanu
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Kikanu »

I actually think Hunters need nerfing. Excuse the blasphemy, but there is no reason that my main, a Fury Warrior in raid gear, should be doing LESS damage than my Marksman Hunter who is in blues, greens, and a few welfare epics. I'm glad they're somewhat buffing melee with this, but either nerf all ranged classes or buff melee. I've run sufficient tests, and my hunter does around 6k more dps. Every time. As for buffing Kill Command; WHY.jpg. I can already smack a fool with no buffs for around 40k crits. That's spectacular as is. Now what, I'm going to be hitting for 44-50k~ crits now? I haven't earned any new gear on my hunter ever since I got my first run in Zul Aman, back when it was still new and exciting, so how can one justify the insane difference in gear and damage? Simple; horrible balancing. I can slam my head on my keyboard and do amazing dps on my hunter. I even did a whole dungeon with my guild where I literally slapped the keyboard in wild, repetitive motions, and still managed 20k~ dps on bosses (single target. AoE was totally horrible, but humorous). I went in a dungeon with my warrior after, and did my very simple rotation; Bloodthirst > Raging Blow > Colossus Smash > repeat, using any timely cooldowns that were rage dumps or procs. Granted, Titan's Grip Fury Warriors need a hellish amount of stats to do well, but I managed 16-18k on bosses, 22-31k on AoE.

While it's not really nerfing hunters, I do think we need them. Apologies for the rant, but I felt it necessary in a thread pertaining to buffs and nerfs.
WoW, where is my KAMEN RIDER BEETLE LARVA PET?
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Kikanu wrote:I actually think Hunters need nerfing. Excuse the blasphemy, but there is no reason that my main, a Fury Warrior in raid gear, should be doing LESS damage than my Marksman Hunter who is in blues, greens, and a few welfare epics. I'm glad they're somewhat buffing melee with this, but either nerf all ranged classes or buff melee. I've run sufficient tests, and my hunter does around 6k more dps. Every time. As for buffing Kill Command; WHY.jpg. I can already smack a fool with no buffs for around 40k crits. That's spectacular as is. Now what, I'm going to be hitting for 44-50k~ crits now? I haven't earned any new gear on my hunter ever since I got my first run in Zul Aman, back when it was still new and exciting, so how can one justify the insane difference in gear and damage? Simple; horrible balancing. I can slam my head on my keyboard and do amazing dps on my hunter. I even did a whole dungeon with my guild where I literally slapped the keyboard in wild, repetitive motions, and still managed 20k~ dps on bosses (single target. AoE was totally horrible, but humorous). I went in a dungeon with my warrior after, and did my very simple rotation; Bloodthirst > Raging Blow > Colossus Smash > repeat, using any timely cooldowns that were rage dumps or procs. Granted, Titan's Grip Fury Warriors need a hellish amount of stats to do well, but I managed 16-18k on bosses, 22-31k on AoE.

While it's not really nerfing hunters, I do think we need them. Apologies for the rant, but I felt it necessary in a thread pertaining to buffs and nerfs.
While you are entitled to an opinion, I'm entitled to think you are an idiot.

You are nerfing us because you can't compete on your warrior?

Check out http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/ and see how all the classes compare, and THEN make judgements.

Moderation Note: You are not, however, entitled to call other people idiots on this forum. Please refrain from doing so in the future.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Comett »

I'd say many classes need equalising moreso than "xxx needs a buff, xxx needs a nerf"... while it's true, there needs to be a central point - for example, ilvl 370 doing 20k dps - and that point, or close to it, should be achievable by all dps if they correctly play their rotation. Give or take bits and pieces or class specifics (like that rogue spec that does ridiculous 2 target damage at the slight sacrifice of single target; shadow priests who are beneficial for the extra heals, etc) - but even then, those classes should still be competitive and still be something "yeah, I could bring that to a dps intense fight no problem".

As it stands - simply how I see it - there are a few classes that just make fights ridiculously easy due to their damage output. My boyfriend's mage can comfortably sit at 30k and peak anywhere from 50k to 100k dps, as arcane. I've seen him do it, and at the end of the fight damage meters have sort of "just" hit somewhere between 30k-40k - I expect they'd continue to go down after the burst phase if the fight continued on longer, but when you have a single dps doing the job of 5 of them for 30-60 seconds of the fight, there's no such thing as a "long" fight any more lol.

So um yeah, whether hunters need a nerf or not... I don't know. I personally am quite happy with my damage output, and I accept I'm not the best hunter out there, but I feel confident that I can enter a raid and do my job without letting the rest of the team down. It's offputting though when other classes rock up and do 50k dps simply because to me, that seems unbalanced. Who wants a hunter in a pug when 5 boomkins can do 4x more dps? xD