So, as for Monks...

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Re: So, as for Monks...

Unread post by Kayb »

"the horde has more shamans than us!"

so what? i've never understood this argument. its not like there were always equal numbers of rogues or warlocks etc between the factions. Classes shouldn't be given out to maintain balance ratios between factions, it should make sense for the race in question.

as far as the rumor itself goes, i'd rather see night elves get paladins than gnomes. gnomes don't even suit any of the original classes regardless :P
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Pokerfase
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Vek'nilash, Area 52

Unread post by Pokerfase »

Kayb wrote:gnomes don't even suit any of the original classes regardless :P
I disagree. Gnome Mages/Warlocks/Priests would make perfect sense because those classes make use of their huge intellectual capacity, albeit in a different way. Gnome Rogues are quite effective because of their small size and intellect (just try hitting a 3-foot-tall ninja that's running in circles around you.) Gnome Warriors are obviously compensating for something. Gnome DKs exist because Arthas doesn't discriminate.

Gnome Monks, however... Still waiting on how that'll be explained, either by lore or by the players. By the way, we still have nothing about Draenei/Tauren Shadow Priests.

Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

if i make a monk, im making a pandaren monk and a forsaken monk. the forsaken monk will be RP'd as a scarlet monk from the cathedral in Scarlet Monastary and was risen by the valkyr, ive always wanted a character that could be a little on the religious side that wasnt nature based but could never play paladin

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Nah, Death Knights are the only Gnomes classe that make sense, for the reason you stated. Their intellectual community has never had a base in magics, it was always technology. They *really* only got the classes they did because Blizz couldn't think of any other race to include
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Kayb wrote:Nah, Death Knights are the only Gnomes classe that make sense, for the reason you stated. Their intellectual community has never had a base in magics, it was always technology. They *really* only got the classes they did because Blizz couldn't think of any other race to include
I'm split. I think they're intellect is a very good reason for the caster classes they have, but I also agree with your last statement, saying that they didn't know who else to add for the alliance.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Pokerfase
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Gimlion wrote:
Kayb wrote:Nah, Death Knights are the only Gnomes classe that make sense, for the reason you stated. Their intellectual community has never had a base in magics, it was always technology. They *really* only got the classes they did because Blizz couldn't think of any other race to include
I'm split. I think they're intellect is a very good reason for the caster classes they have, but I also agree with your last statement, saying that they didn't know who else to add for the alliance.
Now that I think about it, there really weren't many options for a fourth Alliance race in Vanilla. The other possible races were probably seen as too similar to the other three.

Maybe the Gnomes' classes could be part of a chicken/egg scenario; perhaps they were exclusively technologically-inclined until after joining the Alliance. By being in direct contact with adept magic users and fighters, it could had been discovered that Gnomes can re-purpose their intellect to become spellcasters and thieves like their allies.

But I digress. This thread is supposed to be about Monks. I wonder what Belf Monks would be like. Actually, the idea of Belf Monks is not that much of a stretch. The Monk's resources are likely another form (well, two forms) of magic or at least have magical influences, and Blood Elves have always been good with magic.

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

I'd like to make a Draenei monk as well...

But I'm more interested in is all the new animations they'll have to add for the races! Might be cool!
dragonaa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: ghostlands

Unread post by dragonaa »

planing on a blood elf monk i like my tanks to be small and my range dps and healers to be big :D

Andine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moonglade

Unread post by Andine »

Pokerfase wrote:Gnome Monks, however... Still waiting on how that'll be explained, either by lore or by the players. By the way, we still have nothing about Draenei/Tauren Shadow Priests.
Have you seen Yoda in SW episode 3? That's how gnome monks gonna roll.
Britany
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Kargath (US)

Unread post by Britany »

I'll play a female Draenei monk if I don't like the girl pandas. :D
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

I don't really do melee so I might try it out for kicks but who knows. I really want a panda if they're stocky...(females) I plan on changing my priest to one if that's the case!
ImageImage
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Wykea wrote:I've heard a couple (unconfirmed, natch) rumors that, to balance out the Horde getting an extra shaman through the Pandaren that join them, the Alliance MIGHT get an extra pally race... like gnomes.

That...doesn't make any sense. Pandaren will be selecting which faction to join...which means that Alliance will have Pandaren shaman just as Horde will, at the whim of the playerbase.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Cerele »

Pokerfase wrote: What are your thoughts on the specs? Healer Monks sound kinda interesting. Seriously, a healer that can actually melee the boss?
Welcome to world of warcraft, may i introduce you to a holy paladin?

As for avilibility of races honestly i think only humans and trolls should be monks along with pandaren of course, but its just silly for most of them.
Night elves ::thats a HUGE strech:: and maybe blood elves, as they were once with humans and human monks have been around forever.

Undead were once humans, but i dont buy that as a reasonable excuse, zombies with kung fu is the last thing we need to have.
Gnomes, are just a sick joke
Orcs, while agressive, just dont "fit" the class description
Dwarves, ehh again size issues
Tauren, "Sunwalkers" doesnt make any sense either, it will be funnier than hell seeing them use the roll ability
Draenei, pretty much same as tauren, its just weird
Goblins, same as gnomes
Worgen, well they are human "Notice this excuse worked for the undead"

signature thanks to Kurieno
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Cerele wrote:
Pokerfase wrote: What are your thoughts on the specs? Healer Monks sound kinda interesting. Seriously, a healer that can actually melee the boss?

As for avilibility of races honestly i think only humans and trolls should be monks along with pandaren of course, but its just silly for most of them.
Night elves ::thats a HUGE strech:: and maybe blood elves, as they were once with humans and human monks have been around forever.

Undead were once humans, but i dont buy that as a reasonable excuse, zombies with kung fu is the last thing we need to have.
Tauren, "Sunwalkers" doesnt make any sense either, it will be funnier than hell seeing them use the roll ability
Goblins, same as gnomes
Goblins and Worgen can't be monks. Also, I think Dwarves make great monks. Especially since Brewmaster is a spec.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Cerele »

Gimlion wrote:
Cerele wrote:

Goblins, same as gnomes
Goblins and Worgen can't be monks. Also, I think Dwarves make great monks. Especially since Brewmaster is a spec.

i know they cant
im saying why, and why i think others shouldnt, and the incosistancies
"Undead were humans, so they can be monks"
"But worgen are human and they cant?"
"They are too new"

Pokerfase
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Cerele wrote: Night elves ::thats a HUGE strech:: and maybe blood elves, as they were once with humans and human monks have been around forever.

Goblins, same as gnomes
The Night Elves might not have any Monks in their ranks, but I don't see why they would shun the art. I don't think Chi and Forces have the same negative connotations that arcane magic has to the Nelves. Besides, being a Monk seems like a pretty nature-friendly path to me.

I think that because one of the specs of the Monk is Brewmaster, the class may involve some degree of alchemy. Forsaken are adepts at alchemy and aren't half bad at magic either. Also, Rule of Cool.

Gnome Monks would be like Gnome Warriors in a way, as in both wish to compensate for their size through their ferocity. While Gnome Warriors suit up in plate armor, Gnome Monks harness their inner strength and intellect to take down enemies many times their size through unarmed combat

Don't forget that the Orcs are big on beer as well as the Dwarves.

Kicking with bull-like legs might be awkward, but Tauren have great upper body strength. They'd be to Monks what Orcs are to the Rogue class; fighters that are not as agile as other races of the same class, but physically strong enough to be formidable in their own right.

Draenei already have Monks.

As for the Worgen, I know nothing about Worgen lore, so I can't really support or refute Worgen Monks. But I do know that Goblins would not be a good fit for Monks. Their behavior is hardly Monk-like at all.

nirvana
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dalaran US

Unread post by nirvana »

I was thinking female tauren, but I'll have to wait and see how the animations look for them, as well as how the female pandaren look.

In any case, I do have the name Sensei awaiting a potential monk... =D
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Goblins cant focus and be calm enough for such an art, i dont see why undead cant (happy that they are getting the class), not sure why worgen cant, night and high/blood elves were by nature peaceful and lived in harmony (in their respective lands after the high elves were banished) before war engulfed their lands but night elves would be natural candidates (and while elves arent big drinkers, have you seen Lord of the Rings where Gimley and Legolas have a drinking contest??).

As for blood elves, as we advance through the lore they're becoming more aware that they need to break from their addiction to magic and i can see them looking for new ways to control themselves and i think monk, paladin, and priest are the best classes for such a mindset. Gnomes.. Yoda.. as it was mentioned before :lol:

Draenei, they, as said before, already have proven to be monks (theres evil ones in aruchidoun), humans, well, obvious, humans in RL created the arts and training that monks have used since the beginning of their creation as a culture(?). Dwarves, cant say much but dont see why not. Orcs have the body and the smarter ones have better mental stamina and control over their emotions.

Trolls, erm.. dunno, cant say much lol. Tauren, um.. yea i have no idea.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

nirvana
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dalaran US

Unread post by nirvana »

Monk sounds like a class that needs to be in balance and harmony. Even though Worgen have regained their human side and (mostly) nature, the fact still remains that there is a dark, non-harmonious side to them that can be difficult to control. Thus it would make it more difficult for them to have the "focus" it takes to be a monk.
Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Cerele »

Pokerfase wrote:
Cerele wrote: Night elves ::thats a HUGE strech:: and maybe blood elves, as they were once with humans and human monks have been around forever.

Goblins, same as gnomes
The Night Elves might not have any Monks in their ranks, but I don't see why they would shun the art. I don't think Chi and Forces have the same negative connotations that arcane magic has to the Nelves. Besides, being a Monk seems like a pretty nature-friendly path to me.

I think that because one of the specs of the Monk is Brewmaster, the class may involve some degree of alchemy. Forsaken are adepts at alchemy and aren't half bad at magic either. Also, Rule of Cool.

Gnome Monks would be like Gnome Warriors in a way, as in both wish to compensate for their size through their ferocity. While Gnome Warriors suit up in plate armor, Gnome Monks harness their inner strength and intellect to take down enemies many times their size through unarmed combat

Don't forget that the Orcs are big on beer as well as the Dwarves.

Kicking with bull-like legs might be awkward, but Tauren have great upper body strength. They'd be to Monks what Orcs are to the Rogue class; fighters that are not as agile as other races of the same class, but physically strong enough to be formidable in their own right.

Draenei already have Monks.

As for the Worgen, I know nothing about Worgen lore, so I can't really support or refute Worgen Monks. But I do know that Goblins would not be a good fit for Monks. Their behavior is hardly Monk-like at all.

if i ever pvp again, and i get wojo face hoofed, i know who to blame