Patch 5.0 speculation on MMO plus my own thoughts....

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Patch 5.0 speculation on MMO plus my own thoughts....

Unread post by Kalliope »

So, big headline on MMO right now:

Theramore to be destroyed by the Horde in 5.0?
It seems that Theramore will be destroyed by the Horde in the pre-Mists of Pandaria world events, the info was revealed to a couple of taiwanese websites attending a press event with Tom Chilton. Translation from Curll on ScrollsOfLore.

Here's the original quote. Let me translate:
The whole war will be ignited during the world event which leading the game into Mist of Pandaria. Theramore will be destroyed and the leaders of Alliance were outrageous at this matter and completely devote themselves into the war, which reach its peak on the continent of Pandaria. The Horde and the Alliance literally fought on the homeland of Pandaria, which pissed the pandarens off.

Most of the pandarens are neutral characters. And some of them thought the Horde and the Alliance only brought doom to their beloved homeland, and have enmity against both factions. The players pandarens are in a different group. They departed Pandaria long ago and choose their own path. They choose their own faction when level 10, so they don't have a faction leader.
So, now for my thought process:

This would DEFINITELY explain the Alcaz Island information that was datamined.
v
Patch 5.0 would be a great patch for hydras to slip in.
v
Wait...we got devilsaurs, rhinos, etc. in a .0 patch (3.0 to be specific). This actually seems quite likely!

So....not to get anyone's hopes up, but.....this seems reasonable. :)

Update from later in the thread:
TheDoomcookie wrote:This just in, Zarhym posted something this about this news!

http://i.wow.joystiq.com/2011/10/24/zar ... -pandaria/
So, at BlizzCon we provided a few details about a new expansion and how it's going to have an ever-growing focus on the fight between the Horde and the Alliance in the wake of dispelling many very powerful threats to all of Azeroth. Then we find out a vague detail that some sort of unrelenting attack by the Horde on Theramore is to come. The Horde, to remind you, is currently a faction with an overzealous ruler and significant turmoil among their faction leaders; while the Alliance has almost never been quite so unified and far removed from the days of imprisoning orcs.

The first pawn on the chess board of what is to be the story for Mists of Pandaria is being moved, and you're angry at whose turn is first? I only offer that maybe there's a little more to the Horde and Alliance story lines in Mists than an Alliance town being leveled... like the entire expansion story you don't know about yet. ;)

If you wanna make an omelette...
And more followups:
[...] In Cataclysm, desperate times call for desperate measures. And that impact was not equal and 1:1 as far as Alliance and Horde went. The Warcraft universe, at its core, is based on the rivalry between two vastly different factions. To make sure they have shared hardships -- equal ups and downs at each interval -- is pretty boring and severely limits the character development of the leaders on both sides. And it leaves the story with a lack of momentum for building good content.

The Cataclysm only ignited a new flame between the Horde and the Alliance, as each side approached recovering from the crisis in very different ways. But they have something much more pressing to focus on in this expansion: helping Thrall and the Dragon Aspects kill Deathwing and his followers. They provide the overarching and primary conflict in Cataclysm that needs to be dealt with, not the fighting between the Horde and Alliance.

But once Deathwing goes and a new land of opportunity is discovered, who rebuilds, who explores, who defends and protects their people, and who seeks the pride of a conqueror?
[...] What I'm hearing from people is, that Garrosh's Horde is attacking even more Alliance territory and it's not fair. As a player of both factions at level 85 and employee at Blizzard, I just don't fully agree with that assessment. From our perspective, one faction will assault a cherished town of the other faction -- which is also home to a very powerful and honorable figure in Jaina. There's now a conflict presented in the story there to further unfold in the next expansion.
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2040 ... itism-pt-2
Last edited by Kalliope on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Jadein92
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore, Thrall

Re: Patch 5.0 speculation on MMO plus my own thoughts....

Unread post by Jadein92 »

*prays for hydras*

Art by FlailingKitty on Flight Rising

dragonaa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: ghostlands

Unread post by dragonaa »

the destrution of tharmor shall scare all hydras into becomeing tamable LOL poped omtp my head when i saw your post

Arwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Arwyn »

Hate to see Theramore go up in flames...but if its the spark needed to advance the story line of the Alliance and Horde returning to fighting each other since there's no Deathwing, Lich King, or other uber villain to worry about, then burn baby burn.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Oh my. We'll have to keep watch on this!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Zuilu

Unread post by Zuilu »

..You definitely have gotten my hopes up! :lol:
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Theramor to me has always seemed like a rather odd place...It has trainers, and a bank and is like a mock major city, with its own port, and yet it has always seemed cramped and empty to me. Even though I am alliance, I dont think I'd miss Theramor.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Mindsprocket
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Mindsprocket »

Makoes wrote:Theramor to me has always seemed like a rather odd place...It has trainers, and a bank and is like a mock major city, with its own port, and yet it has always seemed cramped and empty to me. Even though I am alliance, I dont think I'd miss Theramor.
Yeah, I guess that's why it gets destroyed. Technically Theramore is a kingdom of its own, so destroying it is a MAJOR attack on the alliance (unlike attacks on smaller villages like Astranaar and Southshore). On the other hand, Theramore never played a large part in WoW, so you can do without it.

Basically Theramore is like that one guy in movies that people know somewhat and care about a little, but who isn't important enough that the show can't go on without him. So he's killed off simply to show that things are getting serious. :P

Lok'tar ogar!

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Well if you think about it logically, Theramore is a massive target. It is the particular part of the Alliance that has pushed into Horde lands the most, by a huge margin. It puts Mulgore at direct risk of invasion and serves to cut off direct access between northern and southern Barrens for the Horde by way of Northwatch Hold. In turn giving the Alliance a greater push in Stonetalon, as well as paths into Durotar and another access point to Ashenvale. By taking out Theramore, the remaining inland Alliance forces quickly find themselves without reinforcement and supplies. They could only hold out for so long.

It certainly would be bizarre to see a ruined Theramore after it having been about for so long, that is for sure. But it also brings up another notion, if the Horde actually DO vanquish Theramore, then surely the Alliance will also have a major victory of their own somewhere in the world. What could it be? What ramifications would it hold for either faction? Do the Alliance claim Crossroads before Theramore is taken out? Or could it be Tarren Mill to fall? Blizz certainly does tend to keep the atrocities fairly evenly scaled, What if the Alliance takes full control of Stonetalon instead? Would the fall of Theramore be such a concern then?

If Theramore does go down, I can't see the Alliance not also being given a significant victory in some fashion, be it a town/city or death/s of noteable characters

Speculation is awesome fun :D
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Ikutai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Ikutai »

Kayb wrote:...Do the Alliance claim Crossroads before Theramore is taken out?...
If the Alliance take the Crossroads, there would be Hell to pay. That place is Nostalgic gold.

"The days are short, and are too soon over. The nights, for good or bad, can seem endless." - Neil Gaiman

Signature by the illustrious Saturo

"Steps 3 through 47: Profit!" - Steampunk of Nesingwary

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I've always seen Jaina Proudmoore as a voice of reason in the Alliance/Horde conflict, so I find this very disturbing.
CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Llane, Nesingwary

Unread post by CrystalKitten »

GormanGhaste wrote:I've always seen Jaina Proudmoore as a voice of reason in the Alliance/Horde conflict, so I find this very disturbing.
Maybe that's why Theramore gets torched. Those that WANT war wanted to try and taunt her (assuming she survives) into finally saying "OH IT'S ON!".
Thanks to TankPerson for the sig!
My Dragon Cave
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

CrystalKitten wrote:
GormanGhaste wrote:I've always seen Jaina Proudmoore as a voice of reason in the Alliance/Horde conflict, so I find this very disturbing.
Maybe that's why Theramore gets torched. Those that WANT war wanted to try and taunt her (assuming she survives) into finally saying "OH IT'S ON!".
Yes, it's an obvious target that way. I guess my real problem is with Blizz's current emphasis on the faction conflict. Before now it's seemed an optional part of the game, with plenty of neutral factions and common enemies as alternative focuses, but now they are really forcing it on us. I guess I can go sit in the corner and play Pokemon instead.
Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

So... Since Horde might take our Theramore portals, can we take their Stonard portals? <.<

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Calomel
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Icecrown

Unread post by Calomel »

TheDoomcookie wrote:So... Since Horde might take our Theramore portals, can we take their Stonard portals? <.<
I find this acceptable. Nobody really likes Stonard anyway.

Tanin - Troll - Beast Master - Icecrown, US
Currently Hunting: ...for the pacifier...

Miacoda

Unread post by Miacoda »

Hey Horde, can you go and destroy Goldshire please? ;)

AKA TheDoomcookie

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

With Thrall no longer leading, i can see that Garrosh wants to make a big statement to say that he wants war, he wants a bloody war, he doesnt want to be pushed around and abide by rules. He doesnt know Jaina like Thrall does, he didnt live the life Thrall did so he has nothing holding him back and he wants to take what he believes is rightfully the hordes. Jaina is the ruler of a kingdom but a small one, its essentially a kingdom built around a port in a land that is alien and hostile, against the full might of the horse she would have to flee, reinforcments couldnt come quick enough without the use of magic which would leave her and her magi exausted and defenceless. As much as i love Jaina, i love this story line more :lol:

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Awww not theramore! :( It’s the perfect farming spot for my mage. (quick hop to any of the raptor nests) and home of many good memories. I remember being so excited when I hit lvl 32 (I think.. it was years agao) on my first toon. I ran straight to theramore from darkshore. (I didn’t have a mount >.<) And did the sea monster quest. That was the first time I ever got that big epic “im on an adventure and im the hero” feeling from the game. The sky darkens and the lighthouse glows faintly in the distance. Out from the fog a massive shape emerges and rears its ugly elite ?? skull head. I run franticly from cannon to cannon trying to chase the creature off before all the bowmen are wiped out. Other players stop and take a shot at the creature- harmless arrows bouncing off thick slimy skin as it turns it attention to them and swallows them whole. Then with a chilling bellow the creature throws back its head and falls back into the water and vanishes as the last cannon blast shakes the air. The sun comes back out and fireworks dance into the sky as theramore celebrates the victory….

*takes a deep breath* phew! I went over the top a bit there lol. Long story short I have good memories there and found it a nice lil pit stop for when you’re in the middle of nowhere. I will be sad to see it go. (Cant argue with the reasoning of it being attacked though.) But we better get to take out the hordes portal too!

Nili
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Khadgar EU

Unread post by Nili »

I for one, cannot wait until we have full blown war.. it is called World of Warcraft afterall. I've been waiting for the day where I see some actual war. :)

Thanks to Zhuge for the pretty siggy and avatarz
Nili's cavez Wishlist: Nilia Pgymy.CB Thunder. CB Daydream.
realm: 179 (hunter: 10)

Miacoda

Unread post by Miacoda »

This just in, Zarhym posted something about this news!

http://i.wow.joystiq.com/2011/10/24/zar ... -pandaria/
Last edited by Miacoda on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AKA TheDoomcookie