open world pvp

Kaellan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

open world pvp

Unread post by Kaellan »

I just saw this on MMO champion..it features a quote about open world pvp (I'm not a fan..I get flashbacks of "the crossroads is under attack" and then have no quest givers). Does this mean that there will be more attacks on the main cities on PVE servers? Or will this apply primarily to the MOP cities? PVP servers?

quote: Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
PvP and Guards / Flying Mounts in Cities
This is actually a main point that we want to address in Mists of Pandaria. We want to make sure that open world PvP is being promoted to its fullest.

We intend to make it so that players will not be afraid of engaging in PvP with the fear of being one-shot by an NPC guard. Hope that this is what you want to hear, as I cannot wait to get into some serious world PvP again

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Re: open world pvp

Unread post by Acherontia »

The Crossroads in particular, and a few other towns, for some reason currently have lvl 85 city guards. In WotLK, they were 40-60. 85s still don't deter people (the guards are still quite killable, not sure what the hell the dev means by one-shot), but there's no real reason to do it, and nobody finds themselves out in the "wild" anymore.

I'd like to see rewards for world PvP, but invincible questgivers or a debuff/withholding of rewards for questgiver-killers.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

The level 90 guards in the starting zones DEFINITELY one shot people! *shudder*

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Magli
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moonrunner

Unread post by Magli »

My son's leveling a warrior, and accidently wandered into a Horde encampment while questing the other day. Town guards may not mean much when you're running around in Fireland gear, but they can and will one-shot a level-51 prot warrior.

Thanks to Kurenio for the signature!

It was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was no sense in what he said.

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Magli wrote:My son's leveling a warrior, and accidently wandered into a Horde encampment while questing the other day. Town guards may not mean much when you're running around in Fireland gear, but they can and will one-shot a level-51 prot warrior.
^

I seem to recall there also being a ?? randomly placed in the middle of the BE camp in badlands who can do it to cap level toons as well.

When they say they want to "bring back world PVP", are they talking about PVP servers, or PVE as well? If the latter I guess I'm a bit confused...
Kalliope

Worba wrote:
Magli wrote:My son's leveling a warrior, and accidently wandered into a Horde encampment while questing the other day. Town guards may not mean much when you're running around in Fireland gear, but they can and will one-shot a level-51 prot warrior.
^

I seem to recall there also being a ?? randomly placed in the middle of the BE camp in badlands who can do it to cap level toons as well.

When they say they want to "bring back world PVP", are they talking about PVP servers, or PVE as well? If the latter I guess I'm a bit confused...
Well, PvE servers can have PvP too! Getting attacked by guards flags you, so world PvP opportunities ensue. :)

YouTube Edition

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

I know that PVE servers can still have PVP, but the idea on PVE servers is that it's consensual - and that includes availability of the various vendors, bankers, flight masters, quest NPCs and etc not being messed with.
Kalliope

Worba wrote:I know that PVE servers can still have PVP, but the idea on PVE servers is that it's consensual - and that includes availability of the various vendors, bankers, flight masters, quest NPCs and etc not being messed with.
Not on Nesingwary, that I've seen. There were plenty of alliance raids on the Crossroads, which could make questing out there annoying at times - especially since they could deflag pretty easily, making a counterattack harder.

If that's not what you meant, then I'm at a loss as to what you did mean. :)

YouTube Edition

Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Cerele »

Acherontia wrote:The Crossroads in particular, and a few other towns, for some reason currently have lvl 85 city guards. In WotLK, they were 40-60. 85s still don't deter people (the guards are still quite killable, not sure what the hell the dev means by one-shot), but there's no real reason to do it, and nobody finds themselves out in the "wild" anymore.

I'd like to see rewards for world PvP, but invincible questgivers or a debuff/withholding of rewards for questgiver-killers.

Think they mean like tag you then run behind guards

signature thanks to Kurieno
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

As it stands now, I consider places like Crossroads et al tolerable - yes they sometimes get overrun, but at least the guards do aggro, and it's largely limited to places like that and Goldshire in my experience. E.g. in general there are enough dis-incentives on PVE servers to ensure players that wish to leave their flag off, and go about their business questing, raiding etc can do so in peace.

However expanding world PVP further on PVE servers, as was hinted at in the OP's quote, would defeat the purpose of having them (PVE servers) in the first place.
Kaellan wrote:quote: Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
PvP and Guards / Flying Mounts in Cities
This is actually a main point that we want to address in Mists of Pandaria. We want to make sure that open world PvP is being promoted to its fullest.

We intend to make it so that players will not be afraid of engaging in PvP with the fear of being one-shot by an NPC guard. Hope that this is what you want to hear, as I cannot wait to get into some serious world PvP again
Kalliope

Worba wrote:However expanding world PVP further on PVE servers, as was hinted at in the OP's quote, would defeat the purpose of having them (PVE servers) in the first place.
Ahhh, I see what you mean now. Yeah, that's a delicate problem to balance. Beats me how they'll handle it!

YouTube Edition

Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Mychelle »

Regarding world PVP in my personal opinion having "grown up" on WoW via a PVP Horde Dominated Server as alliance, I'd have to say that the ganking was horrible. Horrible Horrible Horrible.

But.

Some of the best memories I have, was because of World PVP. Having your friends show up to back you up after you've been killed who knows how many times to inact your revenge by dancing on his corpse and forcing him to Graveyard spawn was a great feeling, as petty as it might be, heh. And the BATTLES in Arathi. Those lasted for hours, days, who knows. I remember tons of skeletons littering the ground. Where both sides were fighting for ground between the harbor and the undead town. It wasnt just PVP, it was strategy when your out numbered, alot of my skills came from dealing with these events and playing them out with friends.

Some of the funniest moments Ive ever had in-game also came from World PVP. And you look back on those moments and laugh like it just happened. You tell your friends, they get a laugh out of it too, ect. I keep telling myself moments like these would have never happened if I'd been protected from being attacked in the first place.

I am all for bringing back world PVP. Bring it on. lol.
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Mychelle wrote:Regarding world PVP in my personal opinion having "grown up" on WoW via a PVP Horde Dominated Server as alliance, I'd have to say that the ganking was horrible. Horrible Horrible Horrible.

But.

Some of the best memories I have, was because of World PVP. Having your friends show up to back you up after you've been killed who knows how many times to inact your revenge by dancing on his corpse and forcing him to Graveyard spawn was a great feeling, as petty as it might be, heh. And the BATTLES in Arathi. Those lasted for hours, days, who knows. I remember tons of skeletons littering the ground. Where both sides were fighting for ground between the harbor and the undead town. It wasnt just PVP, it was strategy when your out numbered, alot of my skills came from dealing with these events and playing them out with friends.

Some of the funniest moments Ive ever had in-game also came from World PVP. And you look back on those moments and laugh like it just happened. You tell your friends, they get a laugh out of it too, ect. I keep telling myself moments like these would have never happened if I'd been protected from being attacked in the first place.

I am all for bringing back world PVP. Bring it on. lol.
Yes - you're talking about expanding world PVP on a PVP server; if you roll on one of those, you need to be ready for anything, and it makes sense for them to make things as bloody and remorseless as possible on those servers, so the truly dedicated PVP'ers aren't left feeling like their server has been "PVE-ified".

And that's where I'm coming from on the other end of the spectrum - I play on PVE servers, and don't want to see them "PVP-ified", e.g. if players want to flag and tear eachother apart on a PVE server, I say more power to them. And I don't mind having to step over their twitching corpses as I make my way to the bank teller, just so long as the teller himself remains off-limits... ;)
Kaellan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Kaellan »

My thoughts exactly! PVP on a pve server should remain a choice..not something you are forced into.

Some of the best memories I have, was because of World PVP. Having your friends show up to back you up after you've been killed who knows how many times to inact your revenge by dancing on his corpse and forcing him to Graveyard spawn was a great feeling, as petty as it might be, heh. And the BATTLES in Arathi. Those lasted for hours, days, who knows. I remember tons of skeletons littering the ground. Where both sides were fighting for ground between the harbor and the undead town. It wasnt just PVP, it was strategy when your out numbered, alot of my skills ]

Yes - you're talking about expanding world PVP on a PVP server; if you roll on one of those, you need to be ready for anything, and it makes sense for them to make things as bloody and remorseless as possible on those servers, so the truly dedicated PVP'ers aren't left feeling like their server has been "PVE-ified".

And that's where I'm coming from on the other end of the spectrum - I play on PVE servers, and don't want to see them "PVP-ified", e.g. if players want to flag and tear eachother apart on a PVE server, I say more power to them. And I don't mind having to step over their twitching corpses as I make my way to the bank teller, just so long as the teller himself remains off-limits... ;)[/quote]

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

I play on a PvE realm, but I love world PvP. I'd love to see world PvP encouraged on even PvE realms, because it IS fun, and it's something to do :)

But it shouldn't ever--on either type of realm--be something people are forced into. PvP realm = PvP CAN happen at any time, not MUST. Likewise, just because you don't HAVE to PvP on a PvE realm doesn't mean that wPvP rewards shouldn't exist. That's why I'd like to see wPvP rewards but incentives to NOT kill questgivers and so on--because really, who wants to deal with that on either type?

(By the way, whoever posted about 'arathi' fights--I think it's Hillsbrad Foothills you're remembering. Those were some severely epic battles back in the day--Tarren Mill vs Southshore... I used to have one char's HS set in Tarren Mill, and two more in XR, just for the PvP :D )
Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

Even tho I don't pvp much myself, I do remember the SS vs TM wars... fun times landing and not an npc in sight! I know alliance used to attack XR tons, and Horde liked to destroy Astranaar. But don't think any of the others stood a candle against the Hillsbrad wars. xD

I do also have to say, the way blizz changed it way back in the day was more about people complaining because of places like Crossroads getting blown to smithereens which lead to upped levels in guards/questgivers, implemented dishonor kills etc. So personally, I would like to see low level area's left rather unchanged ... maybe just have it so the guards spawn at the level the person attacking is so that the poor lower leveled person who wanders to close don't get blown to kingdom come!

Oh and as for the "current" content, let it go however they want to do it. Although on my server which is dominant alliance, I would hate to play as horde if town raiding becomes the norm.

Just my 10 cents!
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Well, battlegrounds were created primarily to give PVP'ers a place where they could experience massive / epic PVP battles without interfering with PVE content (NPC quest givers, innkeepers, vendors, bankers, auctioneers, flightmasters etc etc).

So when people talk about "World PVP" on PVE servers, it raises the questions:

1) What is it about BGs that fails to qualify as world PVP?

2) How exactly would it avoid messing with the above sort of NPCs on PVE realms?
Kalliope

Worba wrote:Well, battlegrounds were created primarily to give PVP'ers a place where they could experience massive / epic PVP battles without interfering with PVE content (NPC quest givers, innkeepers, vendors, bankers, auctioneers, flightmasters etc etc).

So when people talk about "World PVP" on PVE servers, it raises the questions:

1) What is it about BGs that fails to qualify as world PVP?

2) How exactly would it avoid messing with the above sort of NPCs on PVE realms?
World PvP is spontaneous. The battle could start lopsided or even; it's all random. You can call in friends to help. (That's a big difference.) Battlegrounds have other objectives rather than pure survival. Arenas are more about survival, but are different because it's all about the one fight; if you screw up, you can't go charging back in to redeem yourself.

Sometimes, it's just plain fun to keep killing each other over and over again without having to worry about objectives or a time limit.

YouTube Edition

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Ok, that answers #1.

How about #2?
Kalliope

People are worried that if the NPC guards become easily killable again, they won't be able to quest happily on PvE realms. They wouldn't have to participate in world PvP, but they'll be at the mercy of those who are killing the quest NPCs (who are currently protected by guards) regardless, because the NPCs guarding the quest NPCs would be dead.

It's one of the reasons I'm not fond of PvE realms. In my experience, players are more likely to grief by killing NPCs because they can't kill the players. On PvP realms, they'll just cut out the middleman and kill you directly.

YouTube Edition