Am I crazy for still hoping for Hydras?

CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Llane, Nesingwary

Re: Am I crazy for still hoping for Hydras?

Unread post by CrystalKitten »

actually, i think there is a dimetradon mini pet. I haven't been on beta in a bit.. but pretty sure i saw one (I remember the preview window for it being bugged.. in that the thing was so big you could only see a small portion of it's sail...) Can't remember what it was called or anything.
Thanks to TankPerson for the sig!
My Dragon Cave
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Aha, back on beta.

Pic incoming!

There IS a Diemetradon Hatchling; good call there. :) I don't have it, though, so no pic.

Definitely no hydra minipet yet, sorry. :(
Attachments
basilisk.png
basilisk.png (538.48 KiB) Viewed 1626 times

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Whoo! I like the red skin :D
Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Basilisks, Diemetradons, and Pterrodax. Those three. NEED TO TAME. :|

dgkjdzsfgksdzfgjzdbgkz I cannot express my frustration with the lack of tameable pterrodax and diemetradons. T-T

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, they've used the Outland basilisk model, unfortunately. All of the colours associated with that one are already in the game in Outland. I was hoping they might use some of the huge number of unused colour/crescent combos of the old skins. I love the first two:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

*nod* The original models seem like they would be more suited to the genre of the expansion, but I have a feeling Blizzard likes using their most recent models, especially in content with the most advanced graphics we've seen yet. Probably why we see saber worgs everywhere since WotLK...they're the latest wolf model we have, and putting older models in shiny new zones is a rather stark contrast (obviously they have to do it at times, but they probably prefer using the most recent creatures just so there isn't that sharp comparison).
Kalliope

It's not exclusively newer pets that are being reused; we do have some old black bears. :) Given, black bears look good (IMO ;) ), but they're definitely vanilla.

Still, you're right that the tendency is to reuse the newer ones. But there IS hope...

YouTube Edition

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Oh yes, as I mentioned, of course they use old models sometimes as well, I can just see the reasoning behind wanting to put higher quality models in higher quality surroundings.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Are all those basilisks from the WMV? like the most up to date one? Man kinda glad I have not done them as babies yet XD I'd be pissed off at my self :lol:
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

cowmuflage wrote:Are all those basilisks from the WMV? like the most up to date one? Man kinda glad I have not done them as babies yet XD I'd be pissed off at my self :lol:
It's complicated but it goes like this:
- There are separate skin files for the body and the crest that can be mixed and matched. There are nine body colours and four crest colours (blue, jade, orange, purple). So technically 36 combos.
- Two of the body colours (OrangePurple and Red) are identical except for some colouring on their nose, and toes and base of the crests.
- Three of the colours (OrangePurple, Purple and BurgundyOrange) haven't been used anywhere in game.
- One of the crest colours (Purple) hasn't been used anywhere in game.
- All the in-game skins have a kind of blue-green colouring around the base of the crests and their nose, which blends with the jade or blue crests. This suggests they were the crest colours originally meant to be used with them. OrangePurple (not in game) is identical to Red, but has Purple colouring around the base of the crests, so it looks like they intended that to be a modification of the Red skin to be used with the purple crest instead. BurgundyOrange has orange bases to the crests, etc.
- But there are already exceptions to this in the game. For example there's a Black with an orange crest in the game, even though the base of the crest is teal:

So I think pretty much anything goes. All of the possible combos are depicted here: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10346

Also... WMV won't let you arbitrarily select any combo of crest and body colour. You have to be tricky. First select one of the capitalized skin colours that has the crest colour you want. Then select the lower case version of the body skin you want. The lower case versions are just raw body skins and don't have any crest associated with them, so the model will display whatever crest colour was used previously.

Since there's no skins that already use the purple crest you have to be even tricker and edit a copy of the MPQ file to copy purple over to one of the other colours.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I have to say thanks for that this is the first time I saw the purple and BurgundyOrange skins. So I'll have to draw two more. :lol:
Ceravan
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar (alliance), Nesingwary (horde)

Unread post by Ceravan »

and yes, there's baby demetriedon's occasionally roaming ungoro crater that most likely will be able to be claimed a sa mini pet

Kalliope

Ceravan wrote:and yes, there's baby demetriedon's occasionally roaming ungoro crater that most likely will be able to be claimed a sa mini pet
It is! :)
Kalliope wrote:There IS a Diemetradon Hatchling; good call there. :) I don't have it, though, so no pic.

YouTube Edition

Rower
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Rower »

I know we at least have the minipet now, but I still want raven pets so much!
But I'm fine with every new family really. More pet choice = more fun!
Kalliope

In agreement on the ravens, if only so that the seagulls aren't alone in being tiny! I like the light/dark option, always.

YouTube Edition

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Yeah ravens would be good to have and I'd like other seagull skins while we are at it! we have here like 3 that look differnt and could make good skins the black-backed gull,Black-billed gull and red–billed gull (the last two would be easy to make they look the same apart from one has a black bill and black legs the other red)
swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormreaver

Unread post by swimgremlin »

Wain wrote:
Ceravan wrote:you're just as crazy as i am for hoping basilisks become tameable
^^ This for me too :)

To me they always seemed like one of the weirdest omissions. I mean, I know everyone loves hydras and I hope they become tameable, but at least they're kind of uncommon giant sea monsters. Basilisks and nice and compact, with big teeth and they're everywhere. It always seemed odd to me that they never used them. I do hope they do them justice though. They need a proper stun effect and stone and gems as part of their diets ;)

You think that's weird? A pet I'd really like to have is the elephant seal looking mobs from Northrend. I just think they're funny and adorable. <3

Oh, and i keep petitioning for a "Frenzy" spirit beast.