Unique/rare skins you want common in MoP

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Unique/rare skins you want common in MoP

Unread post by Kalliope »

Ziarre wrote:For some people, it simply does. I'm...not sure how to explain it for those with which it is otherwise...I've never been good at explanations. *throws hands up helplessly* I could say that a unique rare gives me the biggest rush when NPC_Scan goes off, but I'm not sure that's the whole of it...I'm not entirely sure what is the whole of it. I understand the wanting shiny and pretty things, but I feel that at least a few of those things should still require that work (and for me, sitting in one spot is work...I like to be active and have a short attention span).
Oh sure, I've felt that too. There is definitely something different about camping rares than normal pets. That rush of finding and taming doesn't necessarily mean a bond for me. But sometimes it does, like when Perseus (green Madexx) found me. But that wasn't a camp.

It definitely did with my Krush (the first rare I actually camped for), but part of that was also that horde were trying to kill me when I did actually tame him. And that factor alone makes that the hardest tame I've ever done. Even harder than brute forcing Kirix, even harder than solo kiting Deth'tilac. The pet challenge tames are still scripted encounters (for the most part....DETH'TILAC, I'M LOOKING AT YOU), but nothing can truly equal the rush of people trying to kill you and your pet, who is still rather deadly in the wild himself.

But then again....I'm generally happier finding and NOT taming; I've been hanging out with Sambas lately for that reason. My favorite pet is a common bear from the pre-Cata Loch Modan. My bias is known. :)
Kalliope wrote:It's no different than raid/pvp gear becoming more widely available. If you got your pet "legit," you know it.
I know...it is, in the end, why I am merely upset when it happens, once the initial shock wears off. In the end I am but one person, and my personal preferences cannot stem that tide should it so choose to turn in such a direction.
The same is true of any of us. :) It does make a difference knowing, though. When I camped Chatter to bring Orpheus back home (longest, most emotional four hour camp ever), it HAD to be him. That's who he was before and who he needed to be in his heart. I didn't care how many brown tarantulas were in the area; he was different.
Last edited by Kalliope on Wed May 30, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Celi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Saurfang, Oceanic

Unread post by Celi »

What if instead of being unique rares, they just put in unique challenges. Of all the rares from Wrath and Cata, I loved the spiders and Skarr the most beause they weren't simply 'wait for spawn and tame'. I would love to see more challenge tames.

One of my favourite pets on my main hunter is her common pink tallstrider. I've never been able to bond with Mazz, no matter how many times I tried on various hunters. I spent about 15min running around that area waiting to see a strider fighting with a tentacle so I could feel like I was saving the strider and giving her a better home without the fear of being attacked by random tentacles. Of course, it got turned on me and the hunter who goes to my dk tank's ds runs went out and grabbed one as well. I nearly died to laughter on Madness one night when I suddenly saw this pink strider attacking the tentacle beside me.
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Celi wrote:What if instead of being unique rares, they just put in unique challenges. Of all the rares from Wrath and Cata, I loved the spiders and Skarr the most beause they weren't simply 'wait for spawn and tame'. I would love to see more challenge tames.

One of my favourite pets on my main hunter is her common pink tallstrider. I've never been able to bond with Mazz, no matter how many times I tried on various hunters. I spent about 15min running around that area waiting to see a strider fighting with a tentacle so I could feel like I was saving the strider and giving her a better home without the fear of being attacked by random tentacles. Of course, it got turned on me and the hunter who goes to my dk tank's ds runs went out and grabbed one as well. I nearly died to laughter on Madness one night when I suddenly saw this pink strider attacking the tentacle beside me.
I'd love more challenge tames, but not at the expense of unique rares. There's room for both. :ugeek:
Account has been closed at user's request.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Congrats, Gimlion!!! :D

I feel the same way about rare pets as I do about rare mounts. There are too many people with too many play styles to completely go one way or the other. What I mean to say is, having a mix of some rare-unique pets and just-unique pets and rare pets, like they do now, is best in my opinion.

Sure, there may be some people that don't get that one thing they really want, just like with mounts (I will probably never ever get my pink rocket that I so badly wanted on my druid, but that's okay). And for a lot of people, having the same skin on a common mob does take something out of their pet. It does for me to an extent. Not with all pets, but some. I guess I do kind of like some of that trophy feeling to Apollyon (King Krush). Of course I wouldn't get rid of him if he suddenly was slapped on a common mob, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. I like that people know what I went through to get him. Well, people nowadays may not know since the tame time's been reduced, but when I tamed him at-level, you bet I was proud. You bet I wanted to parade him around Dalaran (and I did, shamelessly!). :) Does that make me a bad person? Hardly. I'd gladly pass on a rare if someone else was there first. Heck, I have even tried to help people tame stuff! But taming him at that time gave me such a feeling of pride and accomplishment that I was practically grinning like a moron for weeks. And yeah, part of that was probably ego and wanting to show off. So shoot me! But I'm not one of those people that keeps pets solely for the trophy aspect. Gimlion will probably cringe, but I've released Loque three times now. If I can't bond with a pet, I don't keep it, regardless of how hard it was for me to get it. But at the same time, people who keep pets for trophies are not bad players or bad hunters. That's just their thing, and I feel it would be unfair to take that away from them.

I know it sounds cruel, but it just rubs me the wrong way to make everything in the game obtainable for every single person that logs on. Yes, you may have five children and three jobs and want to be able to get something in the five minutes per day you play, but there are still some "hardcore" people that love the challenge, love the camping (I like it for a while, I admit), love the "Look at me! I was a lucky butthole and you weren't!", and it isn't fair to take anything away from them, either. They want something to show for their time and effort. And while achievements are nice and all, they don't exactly say, "Hey, look at me!" quite like a big green devilsaur stomping along beside you. ;)

I dunno, I just feel there's enough of a mix of things for casual and more serious gamers, that they don't really need to change it. There's something for everyone, just as it should be. Some people may not get exactly what they want, but I think it's a sacrifice worth making if it means that everyone still has something to play for. And it's not like I have everything I want so it's easy for me to say that. Like I said, there are some things I'll likely never ever have, but I'm okay with that, and I don't begrudge the people that do have it or Blizzard for not handing it to me for nothing. I accept that this is their game and this is how they want it, and I am okay with not getting everything I want (maybe it's because I'm a little older and life has taught me that?).

And besides, at the end of the day, it's just a game. If I never get my offensively pink love rocket, is that really going to affect me IRL? Not at all.

Again, just my opinion. ;)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Rhyela said it better than I could (I am terrible at explaining)! :lol:
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Slickrock

Another thing that should be mentioned...

With the "unique" abilities of MF rares, and the lack of an achievement, the MF rares are much more common than they would be. That might be the ticket.

Right now I'm waiting for a hunter in guild to show up to tame Magria... Magria has been up for over 4 hours... (meanwhile, I can't find any of the Northrend rares tonight)
Kalliope

Of course, there's always the point that "they are challenge tames and therefore, the challenge should be to TAME them, not to FIND them." :)

I don't mind them being up more often than not; it helps those who need the extra time/attempts.

YouTube Edition

Slickrock

Kalliope wrote:Of course, there's always the point that "they are challenge tames and therefore, the challenge should be to TAME them, not to FIND them." :)

I don't mind them being up more often than not; it helps those who need the extra time/attempts.
I think a bit of both is the right mix, but what I meant was since they are not being farmed for Frostbitten, they tend to be around. :ugeek:
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

Yup, and it's neat to hang out with Deth'tilac...cautiously. Very cautiously. My Asura nommed me enough, thanks. @_@
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Tumblr!

Kalliope

Ziarre wrote:Yup, and it's neat to hang out with Deth'tilac...cautiously. Very cautiously. My Asura nommed me enough, thanks. @_@
Tell me about it!

*wrinkles nose at Sassy* *sigh*

YouTube Edition

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Slickrock wrote: I think a bit of both is the right mix, but what I meant was since they are not being farmed for Frostbitten, they tend to be around. :ugeek:
For frostbitten or for their bags of gold and cloth.

... not that I've ever done that.

... ever.

.... >.>
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Dalaran - US

Unread post by Helsinki »

I just finished the longest camp of my gaming life for blue Madexx, taming every other color in the process (and thank you to all of you who joined me in camping!!). I already knew that skin would be a common one in MoP, but putting the effort in for Madexx specifically was important to me. Blue becoming a common skin doesn't change the excitement I felt when I finally found him, and won't make him any less beloved to me. I really don't think we'll see a billion of them running around in MoP... Of course, it doesn't hurt that scorpids have an underwhelming ability, only ever useful in PvP and even then only against specific classes/specs.

I understand both sides of the debate. I would prefer that unique skins remain unique but I know this is a very personal opinion. When unique skins remain unique, I feel glad for those who really wanted them to stay that way. When unique skins become common, I feel glad for those who finally get to have the pet they wanted.

And I definitely agree with Kalli and Vephriel that making skins like these common would likely make them even more "rare" around town :)
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary
Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

I don't particularly want any rares to become common, but I wouldn't mind if all old expansion rares became common either. If I see a skin that I like, I will tame that skin regardless if it's a common beast or a rare beast. Then again I never bought in to the whole "I'm a special snowflake because I have thing X" or whatnot. *shrug* Sure I've enjoyed finding rares before but, say, if Loque became common it wouldn't take anything away from me personally. I tamed the rare one and I had fun at the time. That's that.

At the end of the day, most other players couldn't care less what some hunter has as their pet. They've already seen loads of hunters run around with Sambas or Loque or what have you. The only class that slightly cares is other hunters but chances are they already have tamed all the rares at some point unless it's very early into a new expansion/patch with new beasts. (And if they haven't, I guess they can feel a slight tinge of jealousy if you have a pet they want... but is that really a desired reaction?)

TL;DR: I don't want any rares/uniques as common, but I won't hate on any common rares/uniques either.
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Kurasu wrote:
Slickrock wrote: I think a bit of both is the right mix, but what I meant was since they are not being farmed for Frostbitten, they tend to be around. :ugeek:
For frostbitten or for their bags of gold and cloth.

... not that I've ever done that.

... ever.

.... >.>

-cough- cloth going for 150-200g a stack...hard to not KoS. xD
ImageImage
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

*fistbumps Swampfox* Super-long-blue-Madexx-camp brother-in-arms!

(I'm tired and thus maybe a wee bit silly.)
Acherontia wrote:

Tumblr!

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I still haven't gotten green Madexx. He showed up during times when I'd normally be on but for odd circumstances, wasn't. He's toying with me, I tell ya! Well, you know what? Two can play that game! *snubs green Madexx* I have my black one now and I lub-a-dub him (that's silly speak for love).

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.