Questicus Ideacus: Cretacious Park

Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: N/A

Questicus Ideacus: Cretacious Park

Unread post by Crotalus Horridus »

*This post is subject to change, do not see it as final* I've decided to scrap the Nesingwary idea, and instead just have the idea of a new faction: The Pandaria Trappers Union. To sum things up, the Pandaria Trappers Union catches animals like Porcupines and Tigers for there fur to make cloth/leather armor, companion pets, hunter pets, and mounts. You can get them at certain points in raising your reputation such as getting Porcupines and Friendly and a Rare Pet at say exalted. They also get there own currency, including pheromones and traps and cages. So, lets say they're selling <Insert Beast Here> for 50 <Beast Type> pheromones, 100 cages, and a <Beast Type> trap. Or of course, for a certain amount of gold. (The currency is gained from doing there quest, kinda like TB).

The quest that I had in mind requires you to be level 90 and exalted, and here it is: Basically you have to catch and bring them a Royal Sailback, a beast that basically looks like a Spinosaurus that you can find in the Zandalar Area. Your instructed to buy a <Insert Extremely Big Cage Name Here> from an Expert Trapper at the black market for about 5k. Then, you have to buy a <Insert Very Powerful Tranquilizer Gun> from Nesingwary and Nesingwary Jr. for, 5k. In total, it will cost you about 10k. You will then be instructed to go to Zandalar so you can catch one. Once you walk around a little, you will find a puddle of urine. It has a strong yet unique smell, and think it may be some sort of pheromone. You decide to take it back to <Named Pandaria Trapper Union NPC Of Importance> and he/she tells you that your theory was true, so they assign you to use it in your quest to find a Royal Sailback.

This will also be in dailys you have to do, which are:
1. Marking the Territory (Spread pheromones around Zandalar that you have collected)
2. Fly Fishing (Tie live bait on to a tough rope and throw it into an open area. Do this until you attract ones attention, live bait and rope are given to you when you accept the quest)
3. Tag, you're it! (Chase away helpless wittle animals into open areas so a Royal Sailback may try to attack them)

After about a week or so (It randomly decides when to spawn or not), you finally find one, but your Tranquilizer Gun's darts are not strong enough to pierce it's hide. So, you burn it down to about half health. Once you do that, you go into Modern-Warfare-Sniper-Mode with the Tranquilizer Gun and hit it in a cut you made while attacking it. Once it is sedated and put it into it's cage, you bring it back to the Pandaria Trappers Union Headquarters and you will get three options:
1: They can kill it and skin it, and with the leather you can make some nice armor.
2. You can tame it as a BM Hunter (It'll be a Devilsaur). Basically, when it wakes up after being sedated and put into a cage, it's been enraged by the whole thing. Before it's Enraged Buff meets 100%, you have to tame it. You can stop it's Enraged Buff by using Tranquilizing Shot.
3. You can get it as a mount, called the Royal Sailback Chariot (The sail on it's back is an inconvenience).

For colors, it can have a pink ring around it's eye like a Humboldt Penguin with some blue-grey scales and a white belly. And maybe some pink scails on the sail, feet, tail, and hands. This, along with other Spinosaurids can be obtainable, here is the list for people who can't scroll down:

Irritator being the smallest, will be the European Starling of the Expansion, living in all Pandaria Zones. (Taming Difficulty: Easy, Killing Difficulty: Easy)
Baryonyx can be the middle man, existing in Krasarang Wilds, Townlong Steppes, Valley of the Four Winds, Vale of Eternal Blossoms and The Jade Forest (Taming
Difficulty: Medium, Killing Difficulty: Medium)
Suchomimus will be in very few zones, existing in Valley of the Four Winds, Vale of Eternal Blossoms, and The Jade Forest (Taming Difficulty: Hard, Killing Difficulty: Hard)
Spinosaurus will only be found in one zone, of course. And taming difficulty will be extreme, killing difficulty will be the same.

Names:
Irritator: Peasant Sailback (Very small sail compared to the Spinosaurus, so safe to call it a ''Peasant'' compared to a ''Royal'')
Baryonyx: Land Crocolisk
Suchomimus: Crocolisk Hunter (They were 40ft in length, very large animals, and very capable of hunting and eating crocodiles)
Spinosaurus: Royal Sailback (Previously stated)

All will be involved in the Pandaria Trappers Union, by the way. And to clear things up, this is not a class quest. All classes will get it, but if you try to tame the Royal Sailback as different spec as BM then you will get the Error ''Creature Not Tamable'' and if you aren't a hunter at all you get ''You are not a hunter''.
Last edited by Crotalus Horridus on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Re: Questicus Ideacus: Cretacious Park

If you haven't guessed yet, it's supposed to be a Spinosaurus. I'm hoping that it looks like this:
Kikanu
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Kikanu »

Well, Devilsaurs are already pretty close to looking like a Spinosaur, so if they fixed up the model a bit, gave it some sickly chicken sound effects, and made it a challenge to tame (Not like the "lolslowitdowntotameit" tedium of Firelands pets, but actual CHALLENGE like taming it under harsh environments or something), I would totally agree to this. I just hope it's not a silly fluorescent color or grimdark black and purple with red eyes. I'd love to see it with a dull dark green body, light yellow/tan underbelly, bronze eyes, and a muddy brown sail on its back. That would be perfect.

Or, Onyxia's color scheme would work too.
WoW, where is my KAMEN RIDER BEETLE LARVA PET?
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I love the idea but as both a BM hunter and a mount collector I would probably want it as both a mount and a pet. XD if it was possible to get as a challenge tame pre-capture, or if you were able to find more then one that would be cool. But the overall idea sounds like fun. Its something I would definitely do. And nice reference with the phone btw. ;)

Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Kikanu wrote:Well, Devilsaurs are already pretty close to looking like a Spinosaur, so if they fixed up the model a bit, gave it some sickly chicken sound effects, and made it a challenge to tame (Not like the "lolslowitdowntotameit" tedium of Firelands pets, but actual CHALLENGE like taming it under harsh environments or something), I would totally agree to this. I just hope it's not a silly fluorescent color or grimdark black and purple with red eyes. I'd love to see it with a dull dark green body, light yellow/tan underbelly, bronze eyes, and a muddy brown sail on its back. That would be perfect.

Or, Onyxia's color scheme would work too.
How about this: When you're bringing the animal back, Nesingwary stops you in a colder part of Kun-Lai Summit instead of meeting you at the camp. Suddenly, a Blizzard kicks up, and it starts to blow everything away, including you. So, you have to cling onto something for dear life WHILE trying to tame it, and it's attacking you. Not hard enough? Some of the angry troll villagers start to attack you because you stole one of there gods. (Not attacking you, I think it would be challenging though). And with color, I always thought of Spinosaurids having a pink ring around there eye like a Humboldt Penguin with there face around the eyes, ears, and mouth being aqua blue. The bony part of there sail would be dark green while the membrane yellow, and the body would be a transition from greens to purples and blues with a nice red tip on the tail.

Maybe after the quest, you can get them freely. But, you can only see them during/after doing the quest. (Phasing)
Andine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moonglade

Unread post by Andine »

TBH, I'd prefer if Spinosauri were just a regular, if elite, inhabitant of Zandalar, classified as devilsaur. Maybe some giant rare elite which is a special challenge to tame, but regular Spinosauri just wandering around and ganking uncautious people. I'm not too keen on an idea of a "legendary pet" in general, and I think that this doesn't fit it anyway.
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Andine wrote:TBH, I'd prefer if Spinosauri were just a regular, if elite, inhabitant of Zandalar, classified as devilsaur. Maybe some giant rare elite which is a special challenge to tame, but regular Spinosauri just wandering around and ganking uncautious people. I'm not too keen on an idea of a "legendary pet" in general, and I think that this doesn't fit it anyway.
Here's an idea, maybe we call include all the Spinosaurids into different zones with different strengths and taming difficulties. All of which will be elite and hard to find, of course. Except maybe Irritator.

Irritator being the smallest, will be the European Starling of the Expansion, living in all Pandaria Zones. (Taming Difficulty: Easy, Killing Difficulty: Easy)
Baryonyx can be the middle man, existing in Krasarang Wilds, Townlong Steppes, Valley of the Four Winds, Vale of Eternal Blossoms and The Jade Forest (Taming
Difficulty: Medium, Killing Difficulty: Medium)
Suchomimus will be in very few zones, existing in Valley of the Four Winds, Vale of Eternal Blossoms, and The Jade Forest (Taming Difficulty: Hard, Killing Difficulty: Hard)
Spinosaurus will only be found in one zone, of course. And taming difficulty will be extreme, killing difficulty will be the same.

Names:
Irritator: Peasant Sailback (Very small sail compared to the Spinosaurus, so safe to call it a ''Peasant'' compared to a ''Royal'')
Baryonyx: Land Crocolisk
Suchomimus: Crocolisk Hunter (They were 40ft in length, very large animals, and very capable of hunting and eating crocodiles)
Spinosaurus: Royal Sailback (Previously stated)
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Only three Firelands rares had to be kited. Deth'tilac, Solix, and Skitterflame. The rest had unique and interesting methods of taming, where if you weren't prepared...you'd find yourself dead pretty quick. Heck, even the kiters ate their share of would-be tamers.

Appearance idea: too many colors dear god. We've got enough eyerape wasps without spreading that to other families.

Taming idea: way too complicated. Simple, elegant, but hard mechanics are the way to go IMO. Kirix can be hard as hell (the many skeletons in his wake when he's spawned attest to this), and he's not complicated. Not to mention, they've done away with class quests aside from a couple of weapon upgrades at 20 and 50.

Beast idea: neat! A spiny Devilsaur would make a pretty snazzy tame, just don't try to stuff a rainbow onto it.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Ziarre wrote:Appearance idea: too many colors dear god. We've got enough eyerape wasps without spreading that to other families.

Taming idea: way too complicated. Simple, elegant, but hard mechanics are the way to go IMO. Kirix can be hard as hell (the many skeletons in his wake when he's spawned attest to this), and he's not complicated. Not to mention, they've done away with class quests aside from a couple of weapon upgrades at 20 and 50.
Alright, I'll think something up.

How about this: When it wakes up from the sedation, it begins to become enraged. You have to boost your haste up so you can tame it. If it's enraged buff reaches 100, then he stuns you by stomping you in the ground and kills you (Kinda like Kirix)

OR

He just rejects wanting to be tamed, so he dodges every attempt at getting tamed. So, you have to raise your expertise to actually successfully tame him. He will damage you while all this happens, so there's a chance at dying.

For appearance, I want to keep the Humboldt Ring around the eye, but instead lets some of it's scales and sail blue-grey and other parts of it a light grey and some black tips here or there.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

As a Firelands-style gimmick rare, I think that could work! Perhaps Tranquilizing Shot would be required to keep his enraged buff off so you don't die, and if you're too slow--SPLAT.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Tumblr!

Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Ziarre wrote:As a Firelands-style gimmick rare, I think that could work! Perhaps Tranquilizing Shot would be required to keep his enraged buff off so you don't die, and if you're too slow--SPLAT.
Maybe instead of Tranq Shot, you have to use the same Tranquilizing Gun you used to stun it back in Kun-Lai? Would be pretty cool.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

I think he's just trying to incorporate actual hunter mechanics in your idea, instead of solely quest-based ones.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

That would be correct. I'm not into the quest part of it at all, since I don't think it would happen. An interesting gimmick rare, though, could definitely happen.
Acherontia wrote:

Tumblr!

Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Frankly, if I'm going to have yet another quest involving Hemet Nesingwary - apart from the ones already crammed into the Pandarian continent - I want one where I get to hunt *him* and hang his head on the wall. It bothers quite a few of my hunters a great deal that his immediate first reaction to anything unique, beautiful, and wild is "oh, kill it!"

For the record, I'm also not a fan of any sort of "legendary" pet, as it will bring the Wrath wolf syndrome faster than anything.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Tahlian wrote:beautiful, and wild is "oh, kill it!"

For the record, I'm also not a fan of any sort of "legendary" pet, as it will bring the Wrath wolf syndrome faster than anything.
You mean Windserpents in BC right...?

Or was it BrokenTooth in Vanilla...?

Or am I showing my age...? :?

:)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

Haha, if you're showing your age I'm showing mine too! I remember Broken Tooth...I had one, and named her Nala. Due to the tiny stables we had back then, I had to release her once attack speeds were normalized so that I could pursue other pets, and eventually Griever.

(And yes, Nesingwary's reaction to most wonderfully exotic wild beasts does present an issue lore-wise.)
Acherontia wrote:

Tumblr!

Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Most explorers used kill things that they find interesting and bring them back to show everybody, which is like what Nesingwary is doing. And weren't the Zul'Farrak Serpents in Vanilla technically Legendary, seeing as they were the only one of there kind and were available for a limited time? Also, you aren't restricted to just getting the pet. You can also get the mount, and if you want, can go back to the Zandalar area and tame one as well (Mount is unobtainable after doing the quest, unless you do it on another character and get the mount then).
Andine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Andine »

I find Nessingwary a very good character (as in, he's well done, not nice). As mentioned above, explorers and hunters of old used to kill anything unusual and bring home the cacrass because, well, that's why they were called "hunters" - they hunted stuff down. On Andinne, I find it fitting her as well - while she might rescue something she might empathise with as being hurt by life like her (her original hawk, plaguebear Ashbury, Karoma who some alliance char tried to kill, etc.) and tame it instead of killing it, but usually she kills stuff.

That is, there seem to be two kinds of hunters in WoW. "I use my dog/cat/dinosaur to kill stuff" and "I live in the wild with animals" kind. And frankly, the latter people should have played druids. No offense.
Nessingwary is obviously the former, and I would find it odd to have him order me to tame something instead of killing it.
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Andine wrote:That is, there seem to be two kinds of hunters in WoW. "I use my dog/cat/dinosaur to kill stuff" and "I live in the wild with animals" kind. And frankly, the latter people should have played druids. No offense.
Nessingwary is obviously the former, and I would find it odd to have him order me to tame something instead of killing it.
The reason he needs you to tame it, as I stated in my first post is that some of the natives (Trolls) worship them like a god, and killing one would end up in you and possibly Nesingwary (If they got wind of him being involved) dead.
Andine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Andine »

Crotalus Horridus wrote:
Andine wrote:That is, there seem to be two kinds of hunters in WoW. "I use my dog/cat/dinosaur to kill stuff" and "I live in the wild with animals" kind. And frankly, the latter people should have played druids. No offense.
The reason he needs you to tame it, as I stated in my first post is that some of the natives (Trolls) worship them like a god, and killing one would end up in you and possibly Nesingwary (If they got wind of him being involved) dead.
Which sounds too much like just "I want Nessingwary to tame it so I need to give him a reason to do it", instead of following naturally what would the character actually do.