MoP pets better than Cata rares?

Morven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Re: MoP pets better than Cata rares?

Unread post by Morven »

I'm certainly not dropping anything just because of the new pets. Not sure what I'll pick up yet, either.

The pink crane is the GAYEST BIRD IN ALL CREATION, though, so I might have to have it.
Snowy
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Snowy »

Morven wrote:The pink crane is the GAYEST BIRD IN ALL CREATION, though, so I might have to have it.
It's reeking of fabulousness. I MUST GET ONE. (Honestly, I love the pink crane, it's my favourite by far. Even though for some bizarre reason I had a dream I had a brown one. o.O)

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Dekota wrote:I wouldn't say so. So far the 'new tamables' have been quite the let down. I love the new Tiger model and Quilen and that's about it. Everything else is rather boring in my opinion.

New Tigers - New high quality skin. Cat looks more realistic like Sambas.
Cranes - Boring
Porcupines - Cute, but would I use it? nope.
Goats - Boring
Silk Worm - Neat idea, but you can tell it wasn't meant to be tamed by the decrease in the quality of the skin when it grows after taming.
Dragon Turtle - I like the look, but it's too SMALL! Terropane is my forever turtle.
Quilen - Really the only interesting of the new pets. Ugly as hell but I love him to bits n' pieces! Can't wait to have one in live too.

I have this horrible feeling that Ghostcrawler allowed us to keep the porcupines and the silk worms because they didn't have anymore new pets to offer this expansion.. ~sigh~ so very sad. Forget the Goats, forget the Cranes and just make the Hydras tamable! /fliptable DX
Whoa whoa whoa, are you only counting the brand-new tamables? Don't forget water striders, bog striders, and basilisks!
Those are going to be my favorites!
Dekota
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Dekota »

Equeon wrote:
Dekota wrote:I wouldn't say so. So far the 'new tamables' have been quite the let down. I love the new Tiger model and Quilen and that's about it. Everything else is rather boring in my opinion.

New Tigers - New high quality skin. Cat looks more realistic like Sambas.
Cranes - Boring
Porcupines - Cute, but would I use it? nope.
Goats - Boring
Silk Worm - Neat idea, but you can tell it wasn't meant to be tamed by the decrease in the quality of the skin when it grows after taming.
Dragon Turtle - I like the look, but it's too SMALL! Terropane is my forever turtle.
Quilen - Really the only interesting of the new pets. Ugly as hell but I love him to bits n' pieces! Can't wait to have one in live too.

I have this horrible feeling that Ghostcrawler allowed us to keep the porcupines and the silk worms because they didn't have anymore new pets to offer this expansion.. ~sigh~ so very sad. Forget the Goats, forget the Cranes and just make the Hydras tamable! /fliptable DX
Whoa whoa whoa, are you only counting the brand-new tamables? Don't forget water striders, bog striders, and basilisks!
Only counting the new beasts.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Dekota wrote:
Equeon wrote:Whoa whoa whoa, are you only counting the brand-new tamables? Don't forget water striders, bog striders, and basilisks!
Only counting the new beasts.
Water striders are completely new. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

I'm gonna say it... I shouldn't... but I can't hold back anymore....

I cannot for the life of my understand the hyrda thing, and the obsession over a beast with terrible models, and why a good portion of the folks here would gladly give up everything else in this xpac to get them...

ok, that's all...
Account has been closed at user's request.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Slickrock wrote:I'm gonna say it... I shouldn't... but I can't hold back anymore....

I cannot for the life of my understand the hyrda thing, and the obsession over a beast with terrible models, and why a good portion of the folks here would gladly give up everything else in this xpac to get them...

ok, that's all...
Funny how individual preference works, hey? :P

There are many pets I don't understand obsessions for, but that's only because I don't personally like them. And since I don't like them, I don't tame them...matter solved. xD

Of course there are people who don't want hydras, that's expected. As for myself, always loved them, and I'd love for them to be tameable. I know not everyone wants them though, and that's fine. If they become tameable in the future, don't tame one if you don't want one. *shrug*
Slickrock

Vephriel wrote:
Slickrock wrote:I'm gonna say it... I shouldn't... but I can't hold back anymore....

ok, that's all...
Funny how individual preference works, hey? :P

There are many pets I don't understand obsessions for, but that's only because I don't personally like them. And since I don't like them, I don't tame them...matter solved. xD

Of course there are people who don't want hydras, that's expected. As for myself, always loved them, and I'd love for them to be tameable. I know not everyone wants them though, and that's fine. If they become tameable in the future, don't tame one if you don't want one. *shrug*
True, but it's the obsession level that I can't understand.. I like to see them tameable just so the shadow of the hydra isn't cast on every thread on new pets...
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Well, no other pet has been dangled so teasingly in front of us.

We had one that was an accidental tame that hunters were allowed to keep, then later we had them classified into their own family, then little teases such as Gleok the Untameable.

Not only were they wanted by many, but they've also been on the cusp of being made tameable for so long that it's inevitable people are expecting them.
Slickrock

Vephriel wrote:Well, no other pet has been dangled so teasingly in front of us.

We had one that was an accidental tame that hunters were allowed to keep, then later we had them classified into their own family, then little teases such as Gleok the Untameable.

Not only were they wanted by many, but they've also been on the cusp of being made tameable for so long that it's inevitable people are expecting them.
Yeah, I get that, it's just hard to have a meaningful conversation about the other pets with the shadow of the hydra cast over it.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Slickrock wrote:It's just hard to have a meaningful conversation about the other pets with the shadow of the hydra cast over it.
Stating a desire for a new pet family is just as meaningful a contribution to this thread as complaining about other posters. Did you have anything to contribute that is on-topic?
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Slickrock wrote:

Yeah, I get that, it's just hard to have a meaningful conversation about the other pets with the shadow of the hydra cast over it.
Much like having a meaningful conversation about rare spawns and their habits is difficult with constant mentions of green Madexx. ;) But hey, everything passes in time....

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Slickrock

GormanGhaste wrote:
Slickrock wrote:It's just hard to have a meaningful conversation about the other pets with the shadow of the hydra cast over it.
Stating a desire for a new pet family is just as meaningful a contribution to this thread as complaining about other posters. Did you have anything to contribute that is on-topic?
Well, we've long deviated from answering the OP question... and I was really responding to a previous poster that basically said "most of the new ones suck gimme hydras".

Now regarding ON TOPIC, I would generally agree that the MoP pet families are better than the cata rares, since most of the cata rares were cats+spiders.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Kalliope wrote:
Slickrock wrote:

Much like having a meaningful conversation about rare spawns and their habits is difficult with constant mentions of green Madexx. ;) But hey, everything passes in time....
Touche. TBH, the easiest way to fix the 'shadow of the hydra' is to give us the damn hydras already. It's gone on long enough that I want one now... *eyes the rare in front of WC*
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

ok, that's all...
I don't know if I'd "give up" anything else to get hydras as I've seen there is always people who love certain pets and wouldn't want to take those away just so I can get a hydra. Hm. True enough that I don't care too much about some of the new tameables introduced so far and would prefer hydras but that is just my own personal opinion! :O

"Terrible model" you say? I say the model is lovely. See how that works? I love reptiles and the bigger they are the better for me. Hydras are giant stomping three headed reptilian monsters, of course I would love to have one. Before I even knew this forum existed (which was somewhere near TBC release) I remember going into Maraudon, seeing the white hydras there and thinking to myself that I would love to tame one of those. (Alas I missed the ghost hydra as I wasn't playing WoW at the time.) Apparently a lot of people shared my sentiment.

What comes to the whole "shadow of the hydra" thing.. I don't usually bring hydras into conversation unless the posts specifically ask what new beasts I would tame if I could or something of the sorts. *shrug* I do understand the people who desperately want hydras though, since they've been kind of dangled right in front of our faces for a while now.
Slickrock

Yoruko wrote:"Terrible model" you say? I say the model is lovely. See how that works? I love reptiles and the bigger they are the better for me. Hydras are giant stomping three headed reptilian monsters, of course I would love to have one.
I still think the model isn't great... needs a lot more polygons to render well. (And that's my guess as to why they aren't tameable yet. That would be the one thing that they would decide they wouldn't have time to fix.) The ghost hydra kind of hides some of that, so it's not an issue there as much.

The design/concept is fine, but the current rendering looks like a Vanilla model. It needs help.
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Slickrock wrote:The design/concept is fine, but the current rendering looks like a Vanilla model. It needs help.
It is a vanilla model. :lol:

I don't have any problems with the model as such, it's the animations for me that don't work. They look so clumsy all the time when they run, it needs fixing before they become pets.

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

As for the polygons, hydras aren't much worse than most of the ther vanila pet models, especially wolves.
Could it be that the only reason for them not being tameable is being too cool...? :D

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

I think I may give up Sambas for either a Bog Strider or a Water Strider (I will get one of each eventually.)
I'm also holding out on deciding exactly which pets I want until I've actually seen them all in action.
Turgus
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ravencrest

Unread post by Turgus »

I might be in the minority here, but I kind of like the clumsy saunter that the hydra has as it charges towards the enemy.
It’s a sort of vulnerability that counter points its ferocious nature quite well.
In my opinion, its gives the hydra more character, and more personality.

Sure I agree that their model could use some more polygons, maybe even some more animations and smoother animations, but to do away with their kind of goofy walk would change the hydra in a way that I am not sure I would welcome.

Of course I am always interested in seeing what the developers can come up with, but I imagine creating updated hydra models for hunters to tame… well, seems kind of low on their to-do list considering what they have going on. Making critters that they are adding to the expansion tamable, is pretty easy, and the developers making basilisks tamable keeps me hopeful. Bringing up this fact, the hope of hydra’s becoming tameble in MoP, is not off topic and off base.

As for the OP’s question, no I do not think that the MoP pets are better than the Cata rares for one simple reason so far, that many of the tames of the Cata require special tactics for the tame to be successful.
From what I have seen so far the MoP creatures do not require this.
This gives a great deal more meaning to the tame than the standard trap and tame.

I also know that Blizzard was constrained in Cata in coming up with pets for hunters but really pulled through at the end.
They gave us the long awaited and craved spirit wolf, crazy looking lava spiders, a stone cat, a glowing owl, a green glowing shale spider, and a lava crab just to name the most obvious ones.
They will be expanding on the stuff they have so far, but dang, we got allot in Cata.

I have never been one to faun over the “newest” tame or the rarest mount. But some of the companions that I have tamed have not worked out as I thought, including Sambas.
I thought he would be a great pet, and technically he was, he just did not compliment my goblin hunter that well. He is an incredible model to be sure, regardless of how “big” his hair is. He just seemed out of place at my hunters’ side. The same went for Ghostcrawler, but I think that it works this way for most people and is an experience shared by all.
Oddly enough, none of the critters shown thus far have peaked my interest in MoP, not even the Quilen. Why, I am not sure but they just do not seem to compliment my goblin hunter that well.

But seriously… Goats?... Bahh…