New pet/talent combinations planned

Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

New pet/talent combinations planned

Unread post by Cerele »

At the moment we can pick whatever tree we want for our pets, not saying this will be confirmed as it is beta, and i believe they mentioned something about wanting to change it, anyway since we have all these new options for abilities and some pet handy caps removed what are your planned pet/talent combo's for MoP? I've had a few planned

Tenacity spirit beast, self healing and increasing damage pet? yes please!
Cunning spirit beast, now a stealth pet has constant dash available
Tenacity silithid colossus, i just have wanted one as a tank, they just look like they were born to be them
ferocity worm/chimera, AoE on ferocity pets /squee

signature thanks to Kurieno
Kikanu
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shadowsong

Re: New pet/talent combinations planned

Unread post by Kikanu »

Tank Porcupine. I'd be pretty pissed at it if it shot a bunch of needles into me, hence why they'd be good tanks!

Tank Quilen. More useful than a Death Knight Tank, and with the perks of one too! (No seriously, I tanked a dungeon with my Quilen because our tank was an idiot that obviously never played a Death Knight.)

Tank Raptor. Just like a warrior, but with the awesome appearance of a dinosaur.

Ferocity Bear. They just don't click as tanks to me. They're the squishiest tank pet I've ever had.

Tank Core Hound. Why? Because <explicit wording deleted>, bad tanks!
WoW, where is my KAMEN RIDER BEETLE LARVA PET?
Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

I've said this from way back when they first announced "free choice" pet trees, but it bears repeating - I think they're going to need to tweak things to prevent cross-family skill combos that were never intended, like ferocity worms / chimerae being the only ferocity pets with actual damaging abilities (I'm assuming they are still the only pets with damaging abilities anyway), else they run the risk of bringing back the "wolf phenomenon", e.g. "everyone knows you only use worms / chimera in dungeons lol". >.>
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Worba wrote:I've said this from way back when they first announced "free choice" pet trees, but it bears repeating - I think they're going to need to tweak things to prevent cross-family skill combos that were never intended, like ferocity worms / chimerae being the only ferocity pets with actual damaging abilities (I'm assuming they are still the only pets with damaging abilities anyway), else they run the risk of bringing back the "wolf phenomenon", e.g. "everyone knows you only use worms / chimera in dungeons lol". >.>
While their exotics skills are damaging, they can't do anything else while channeling that skill anyways, so it's not like it's a huge dps gain or anything. Against bosses and the like, they'll probably be the same as the other pets.

I do want a ferocity worm, mostly for farming than anything. My current worm is specced out the best I can for damage and works pretty good for killing lots of lil mobs really fast. My shale spider might go ferocity too. Not sure for tanking tho, I might make a spirit beast or silithid.
Kikanu
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Kikanu »

MaximumOverdrive wrote:While their exotics skills are damaging, they can't do anything else while channeling that skill anyways
Chimeras can move while casting. It only works if they start casting while moving, not standing still, but they can move and cast their Froststorm Breath. The perk of being a flying wolf/bat love child.
WoW, where is my KAMEN RIDER BEETLE LARVA PET?
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Kikanu wrote:
MaximumOverdrive wrote:While their exotics skills are damaging, they can't do anything else while channeling that skill anyways
Chimeras can move while casting. It only works if they start casting while moving, not standing still, but they can move and cast their Froststorm Breath. The perk of being a flying wolf/bat love child.
True, but they still can't do anything else, lick attacking or using their special skill. It's basically the same as them chasing stuff without using froststorm, just they might hit a couple more targets.
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

MaximumOverdrive wrote:
Worba wrote:I've said this from way back when they first announced "free choice" pet trees, but it bears repeating - I think they're going to need to tweak things to prevent cross-family skill combos that were never intended, like ferocity worms / chimerae being the only ferocity pets with actual damaging abilities (I'm assuming they are still the only pets with damaging abilities anyway), else they run the risk of bringing back the "wolf phenomenon", e.g. "everyone knows you only use worms / chimera in dungeons lol". >.>
While their exotics skills are damaging, they can't do anything else while channeling that skill anyways, so it's not like it's a huge dps gain or anything. Against bosses and the like, they'll probably be the same as the other pets.
That's just for worms, and it is a DPS gain if you consider people already sometimes use worms as decent raid DPS and that's with tenacity stats... so combine that with ferocity and you've got balance issues. Yeah that advantage would go away vs. a boss (at least vs a boss who doesn't summon swarms of adds...), but being the same vs a boss and superior vs trash is still superior overall.
Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Cerele »

Well its no degree to the pain wolves were
Wolf vs worm/chimera
all hunters>BM
Single best dps for you in game(at the time)>Has an aoe rather than a second buff

Its a pretty big difference, not to mention with beast cleave that helps aoe damage, I just enjoy worms and chimera's as pets, if their abilities could have helped make up for the DPS loss i would have used them no problem, but a slow and 4% increase on physical doesn't help me too much, atleast now they can be ferocity stacking the current abilities

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Hence why I said leaving worms / chimera as the only potential ferocity with damaging spells would bring back the wolf phenomenon, which was kind of the reason ferocity lost damaging abilities in the first place.
Turgus
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ravencrest

Unread post by Turgus »

I am sure when MoP is released someone at Elitist Jerks or elsewhere will do some calculations and figure out what the best single target DPS pet is and what multi-target DPS pet is the best.

While this "might" lead to some elitism it is nothing that doesn't happen already.

Seriously, I get whispers making fun of the fact that I gem/ enchant for stamina in my PvP gear. Sure I might not have as much agility as a hunter with the same gear, but I have 175k health unbuffed. Fully buffed I am pushing 200k health with only 4 pieces of Cataclysmic gear. (weapons, bracers and leggings)

There will be jerks like this for as long as their are online games.

Blizzard has and will continue to pay attention to the numbers and adjust them up or down depending on what they want. If the ferocity worm or chimera starts doing "too much DPS" in dungeons/raids they will adjust it accordingly. They might make Thunderstomp an ability that all pets get to keep the numbers even.

Of course you bring up a good point, but since Beta is Beta and it is obvious that they are nowhere near done with Hunter Pets, I am going to reserve judgment.

Personally, I can't wait to make my gorilla Ferocity Spec, and my Devilsaur Tenacity, it will be glorious.
Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Cerele »

Turgus wrote:Personally, I can't wait to make my gorilla Ferocity Spec, and my Devilsaur Tenacity, it will be glorious.
Ferocity gorillas rustle my jimmies

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Turgus wrote:Blizzard has and will continue to pay attention to the numbers and adjust them up or down depending on what they want. If the ferocity worm or chimera starts doing "too much DPS" in dungeons/raids they will adjust it accordingly.
That IS my point, and it was premised on Blizzard's own decision back in 4.0 to scrap all of the direct dmg pet abilities save for a couple oddballs specifically outside of the ferocity tree.

If otoh things continue apace and chimerae / worms make it to live as the only potential ferocity pets with damaging abilities, then it will kind of suggest their decision back in 4.0 was wrong and they've since reconsidered (which they could ofc, but I just had the sense back in 4.0 that this was based on a good deal of research on their part).

We'll see though.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

My Ferocity beetle; shield + hear of phoenix =win!

My Tenacity Wind Serpent; thunderstomp + magic damage debuff = winnage!
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

I've got to say I was in 7th heaven whe they've announced pickable spec for pets.

Tank spirit bear - great for soloing, especially when you need your pet to take care of most of the encounter while you avoid mechanics (extreeme example of this is the 1st boss of AQ40)

Tank silithid - a tank with extra stamina? Yes please. (I used to tank with shalespider when solo, just for her buff. Silithid's one is much better though)

Cunning spirit crab - having my favourite pvp pet in a pvp-dedicated spec = <3

Cunning rhino - because punting tauren is fun (and you can see them fly further than gnomes)

Ferocity worm and chimera - OMGWTFBBQ~!!

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Myrrmi wrote:Ferocity worm and chimera - OMGWTFBBQ~!!
You and many, MANY other players, I suspect... ;)
Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Unread post by Redith »

Tank Core hound- Hells to the ya!
DPS Basilisks- GET SOME!
DPS Bald Eagle- Death from the air
DPS Warp Stalker- Show you what those spikes are really made for
DPS/Cunning/Tank Hydra-...Im not picky lol