Why such hate on Female Pandarens?

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Why such hate on Female Pandarens?

Unread post by Wain »

I actually really love their voice, the tone, the accent. To me it doesn't sound "old" as much as a mature woman. And they are a large bear, not a tiny gnome or goblin, so I think it fits from that perspective too.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Kalliope wrote:Not sure if serious....

Female pandaren have by and large gotten the more favorable reception as far as I've seen.
This was my initial reaction. I think female pandaren have had an overall positive reception in this community. Naturally they won't appeal to everyone, but I can't say I've seen much outright hatred here.

They even won me over, and I wasn't expecting to be fond of them at all since I don't generally click with animal based races. Overall I'd say they have a good amount of support around these forums though, I definitely don't recall any blatant bashing like the sort that happens in other places.
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Arwyn wrote:The only "hate" I've seen on the Beta forums is the lack of not having any serious facial expressions to pick from.
This. the point of contention seems to be that female Pandaren only have one facial expression: :3. People want to make pandas that are older characters, that are battle-hardened characters, characters that might be a touch badass - which is the concept I sort of had. The complete lack of different facial expressions makes those sort of personalities sort of hard to pull off due to the constant "perky, cute" expression. Nobody's been asking for the current facial expression to be removed entirely - all they want is more variety in the facial expressions to allow for different looks to the female Pandaren.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Fat? Oh well... the only think fatter than a dwarf female (that I play and really love) is their belly. But, hollycow, they're bears! Skinny bear is a rarther creepy concept.

Red panda tail? To be frank including red panda coloration is what Blizz bought my soul with. Red panda is my totem beast actually, and I just can't wait to start playing my red panda ele/resto shammy :D

The only thing that I may dislike about femdas is their perma:3 face. It's the same problem that worgen have, just approached from the other end. Other races have neutral facemodels, so choosing a face (that's just a facepaint for all except goblins) can actually bring quite a vaiety of expressions. No facepaint, however, is going to make an ugly snarl or a cutsy grin disappear.
If only their muzzlez would look neutral like:

Code: Select all

_
  \/
   |
__/\__
instead of

Code: Select all

_
 /   \/  \
|   |   |
\__/\__/
then the facepaint would be able to bring a bigger variety of expressions.

(yea, I suck at ASCII :P)

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Lazurianis wrote:Honestly, I love Female Pandarens with a passion and I don't see why they get such negativity :(

I'm confused why you're even saying this? People have posted any issues they have and are confused why you're even thinking there's such HATEHATEHATE. Like we keep saying, we all have differing opinions and likes/dislikes...that is all it comes down to.

/scratches head
ImageImage
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Lazurianis wrote:Honestly, I love Female Pandarens with a passion and I don't see why they get such negativity :(
Didn't you read the comments made on your own thread? >__>

People are entitled to their own opinions. If someone dislikes them, let them do so, it's not a big deal. If you like them, go ahead and like them, nothing's stopping you. In fact, I've seen much, much more love than hate directed at female Pandaren. I think the only complaints I've seen is when they added the colours to their hair, a lot of people weren't too keen on it. But I've seen zero comments which are 100% negative about the female Pandaren. I think they are receiving much, much more positivity than any other female race ever has before.

I personally love them because they're not the super skinny females which we're all used to, these girls have curves. And that's coming from a female with no weight issues whatsoever. (I don't watch my weight or anything, I have a great metabolism, haha.) I can't wait to see some more 'chunky' females out there and I will for sure be playing my female Pandaren warrior... as long as they don't go down the route of the Worgen and change them to something horrific at the last minute.

Unless you're talking about comments you saw on MMO-C, in which case I must inform you that that forum is a cesspool of trolls and opinions on there shouldn't be taken seriously.
Wain wrote:I actually really love their voice, the tone, the accent. To me it doesn't sound "old" as much as a mature woman. And they are a large bear, not a tiny gnome or goblin, so I think it fits from that perspective too.
This. So, so much this. I was beyond terrified their voice would be some stupid, cutesy anime girl, in which case the voices in-game would be turned off forever. Instead, we were given a really mature voice that surprised me at first but after listening to it properly, I thought it fit them very well and I hope they stick with it.

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Dalaran - US

Unread post by Helsinki »

I dislike them for what seem to be common complaints - too cutesy and no serious expressions. I haven't heard the voice but from the comments I think it might actually be the reason I would WANT to play one. Aside from that.. they are really just cutesy to the point of looking like they are in a costume, which would make me feel like a furry, and no offense to any furries but I just don't roll that way >_> I like their body shape a lot though.

Oh and I don't like their hair streaks. Is there an option to not have hair streaks? I don't like the whole 15-year-old scene kid vibe.

I should mention that these comments are from the perspective of someone without beta. For all I know, I could totally fall for them if I played one.
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Swampfox wrote:Oh and I don't like their hair streaks. Is there an option to not have hair streaks? I don't like the whole 15-year-old scene kid vibe.
I can see where you're coming from with the 'scene kid' vibe, but honestly, it's not. If you go look at the other thread that was made about the hair colours when they first came out, people went into depth about where they came from and why they were implemented. But basically, it's a bit of a popular thing in Asian counties to colour your hair insane colours. I was a bit 'meh' about the colours to begin with as well but they slowly started to grow on me, but yes, in some cases they do look rather out of place. There is no option to hide them, at least not yet, however you can use the black and red options to make the colours blend in a lot better. The white highlights also look nice and subtle on both the black and red hair, so that's always an option for you. (:

And for the record, I'm a 20 year old and I'm always dying my hair purple and adding in coloured hair extentions, and I'm no 'scene kid'. No way. :lol:

Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Dalaran - US

Unread post by Helsinki »

Everdeen wrote:
Swampfox wrote:Oh and I don't like their hair streaks. Is there an option to not have hair streaks? I don't like the whole 15-year-old scene kid vibe.
I can see where you're coming from with the 'scene kid' vibe, but honestly, it's not. If you go look at the other thread that was made about the hair colours when they first came out, people went into depth about where they came from and why they were implemented. But basically, it's a bit of a popular thing in Asian counties to colour your hair insane colours. I was a bit 'meh' about the colours to begin with as well but they slowly started to grow on me, but yes, in some cases they do look rather out of place. There is no option to hide them, at least not yet, however you can use the black and red options to make the colours blend in a lot better. The white highlights also look nice and subtle on both the black and red hair, so that's always an option for you. (:

And for the record, I'm a 20 year old and I'm always dying my hair purple and adding in coloured hair extentions, and I'm no 'scene kid'. No way. :lol:
Oh I definitely agree that crazy colored or streaked hair isn't *just* for scene kids. I see it all the time on all kinds of people and I actually like it - but in the context of the game it still has that vibe to it. I feel it fits the Asian theme because it is a very Asian thing to do... Which is exactly why the scene kids do it too haha. Ever notice how all the teenagers are all about everything Japanese? The hair, the styles, the TV shows/cartoons/games etc. (Hell, log onto deviant art and check out the random newest "deviations" and I can almost guarantee at least half of them are digital manga doodles.) Which is totally fine, but that is all I can think of when I see those hair streaks on the pandaren haha. So even though it IS Asian and it IS fitting, it is also a very strong representation of teenage America. Again - no offense at all intended to anybody- different strokes, as they say.
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I haven't played one, but I just don't like how cutesy they are. I suppose I was hoping for a more dwarven female feel, with the sass and crudeness and whatnot. But that's just my opinion, and it's far from "hate".

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Swampfox wrote:Oh I definitely agree that crazy colored or streaked hair isn't *just* for scene kids. I see it all the time on all kinds of people and I actually like it - but in the context of the game it still has that vibe to it. I feel it fits the Asian theme because it is a very Asian thing to do... Which is exactly why the scene kids do it too haha. Ever notice how all the teenagers are all about everything Japanese? The hair, the styles, the TV shows/cartoons/games etc. (Hell, log onto deviant art and check out the random newest "deviations" and I can almost guarantee at least half of them are digital manga doodles.) Which is totally fine, but that is all I can think of when I see those hair streaks on the pandaren haha. So even though it IS Asian and it IS fitting, it is also a very strong representation of teenage America. Again - no offense at all intended to anybody- different strokes, as they say.
Oh okay, I got the impression from your previous post that you didn't know about the Asian theme of it all. :P

But yes, I have noticed that a bunch of teenagers are all about everything Japanese, sigh. It's mostly an American thing from what I've seen but it's not an uncommon thing in the UK either. My sister is like that, all she ever does when she's not at school is sit in her room watching anime/reading manga. She doesn't do anything more and it bothers me and my mother, she's very unsociable. But I used to use deviantART a lot when I was a bit younger, but now... I never want to go back on it again. Every single time I do go on to look for something, the front page always manages to make me shudder. Heck, as you can probably tell, I'm a MLP fan but I'm so, so sick of pony art flooding and taking over dA now alongside all the unoriginal manga crap. :/

I think the closest I've ever got to the scene/Asian thing is my crazy obsession with everything Pokemon which started when I was like... eight. Pokemon was my childhood though!

Galaxy
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Galaxy »

B/c Kate from "Days of our Lives" is SOOOOOO Scene Kid *coughs*.......*giggles*

Serious, she has had that blue streak for like....ever

Epic Sig by the Epic CandidHeartbeat <3
Azerothian Days

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

After the perma-retching/snarling worgen females (an aggressive display shows the front teeth, not the back, hence the it looking more like retching), I will take :3 in a heartbeat. Besides, as Ani Difranco once sang "Those people who smile alot, watch the eyes" Plenty of people will smile then go for the throat. I don't think :3 precludes attitude and aggression.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Teigan wrote:After the perma-retching/snarling worgen females (an aggressive display shows the front teeth, not the back, hence the it looking more like retching), I will take :3 in a heartbeat. Besides, as Ani Difranco once sang "Those people who smile alot, watch the eyes" Plenty of people will smile then go for the throat. I don't think :3 precludes attitude and aggression.
Well my cats have that :3 face all the time and yet they attack me all the time :lol: Then again cats are evil!
Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Sigrah »

I won't play one simply because I don't like them. The males remind me too much of "Kung Fu Panda", only shorter, and I just can't see myself playing a toon that looks that ridiculous. The females ones are ok, but they aren't anything I'd pay $20.00 to race change too or use for the new Monk class. I don't have any "hate" for them, they just don't appeal to me.
Jelani
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Jelani »

I was on the fence with the fem pandas...until the dance <_< I am not a fan of the dance. It's jsut my personal preference :) WHo knows. I may try one for giggles later and fall in love. but atm, not a fan. Yay for all the others who are :D I dont judge, I am a fem tauren nut XD

YAY! Flight Rising! Rawr!

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

I admit I wasn't a fan at all of the voice at first, until I heard the flirts and sillies, then I was sold! :lol: As for the dance, I love it to death! There's SO many people out there that hates it like the plague, it will make it extremely worth using in PvP after a kill! 8-)
ImageImage
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I love their voice. It's some really good voice acting.
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Sigrah wrote:The males remind me too much of "Kung Fu Panda", only shorter, and I just can't see myself playing a toon that looks that ridiculous.
I swear I'm going to find and slap the next person that brings 'Kung Fu Panda' into a MoP conversation.

The whole idea of anthropomorphic pandas in a Chinese-themed environment, often doing some form of martial arts, has been around WAY, WAY, WAY, WAAAAAY longer than the 'Kung Fu Panda' films. Granted, I did like the films and I watched the first one again recently and it made me want to play MoP even more, but give the damn things more credit. 'Kung Fu Panda' is only brought up because people don't know anything more about the subject and can't be bothered to do their research first, and it really irritates me. Modern films aren't the only things in existence you know, and most were inspired by something more.

I thought pandas looked ridiculous at first too, but then I saw the concept art which was nothing short of magnificent. Now my views have changed.
Galaxy wrote:B/c Kate from "Days of our Lives" is SOOOOOO Scene Kid *coughs*.......*giggles*
Judging by your sarcasm, you probably think that we were talking about coloured hair just being for scene kids. If you read the posts properly...
Swampfox wrote:Oh I definitely agree that crazy colored or streaked hair isn't *just* for scene kids.
Chaoyll wrote:And for the record, I'm a 20 year old and I'm always dying my hair purple and adding in coloured hair extentions, and I'm no 'scene kid'. No way. :lol:
Yeah.

Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Sigrah »

Everdeen wrote:I swear I'm going to find and slap the next person that brings 'Kung Fu Panda' into a MoP conversation.

The whole idea of anthropomorphic pandas in a Chinese-themed environment, often doing some form of martial arts, has been around WAY, WAY, WAY, WAAAAAY longer than the 'Kung Fu Panda' films. Granted, I did like the films and I watched the first one again recently and it made me want to play MoP even more, but give the damn things more credit. 'Kung Fu Panda' is only brought up because people don't know anything more about the subject and can't be bothered to do their research first, and it really irritates me. Modern films aren't the only things in existence you know, and most were inspired by something more.
I don't care how long the concept of panda's in martial arts has been around or what the cultural significance of it may be to the Chinese or anyone else. I also don't care if Blizzard used any of that cultural or historical information to base the Pandareans on. The bottom line is that the looks of Pandarean males don't appeal to me, and the Monk even less so. The movie only intensifies my feelings about it, and if you can't handle that fact, tough. If you want to go play one, by all means do so. Whatever floats your boat. But don't rag on me just because you can't handle how I feel about them and that I chose to use a movie to partially illustrate why.