All races playable despite expansion....

Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Re: All races playable despite expansion....

Unread post by Teigan »

Eh, tis the way it should have been from the start, imo. I'm glad of it, and even tho I actually DO get MoP now (looked like I wasn't, at least not for a while) I'm really happy everyone who doesn't/can't can try out Pandaren.
Masquerain
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Masquerain »

I love this. I'm RAFing with a friend but can't make worgen or goblins because she doesn't have Cataclysm yet. Now we'll be able to!
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

it absolutely KILLS me to see people use letters that they have NO idea what they mean... like the rogue named "ßackstaßßer"... whom I prefer calling "Ssackstasssser".

and when people use accents on vowels without thinking about what those accents are actually doing to the vowels... LOL

like "hi, my name is Râvén"... raw-vayn? there's no way on earth that sounds like "raven".

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I love this idea, it means I don't have to buy mop right off the bat.

Who am i kidding, i'll purchase the special edition :P
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

You know what nevermind. It wasn't the point of my post to derail the topic, just to express my frustration. But I'm going to stop responding to this topic and try to stop myself from reading it again. Nothing that was said was personally directed at me, but it felt like it was so soon after my own post and it's hard to not be a little insulted, even if I agree with some of what was said.

Yeah I'm desperate to use the name I want to use, but there are a number of reasons why and I won't get into them and drag this out anymore. Sorry for derailing the topic.
Last edited by Shade on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Kalliope wrote:
Wain wrote:I've never seen a single use where I haven't felt "that person is sadly desperate to have that name despite the fact someone else has it and they lack the imagination to come up with something else". Perhaps that's unkind of me, but that's what it always makes me feel.
Absolutely seconded. Unless an accent is used properly (and I personally have never seen that happen), then the player just comes off as uncreative.

IDK that seems a little harsh and narrow minded guys. :(
ImageImage
Ket Shi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ket Shi »

I don't see the harm in this. So what if it doesn't benefit me directly? It sweetens the deal for those on trial accounts/accounts not fully upgraded, without detracting a thing from the majority.
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Meggers wrote:

IDK that seems a little harsh and narrow minded guys. :(
I gotta agree there to that Meg, like, the one character i have an alt code name on.. they are first of all a bunch of lvl 1's cause i just truly, truly love his name but i cant afford to drag him around everywhere. The name Baith i made up from scratch. From scratch. Never researched it or went to see if anyone was using it on my particular server. I decided i wanted to clone him on other servers. Denied. People had his name. Everywhere, every server i was going through had someone with his name. So, i started accenting his name such as the B or the I so it would still look like his actual name.

While i truthfully dont know what the accented I sounds like, i was told that the alt-code people use to replace B has a 'F' sound which i am fine with, if people wanted to call him Faith instead of Baith, that is fine. I made the name up from my head, and (not to anyone specific here, a lot of people DO have the mentality that is shared here) i'll be damned if i let someone stomp on me for having an 'uncreative' name. Especially if it was a name such as many of my other chars which are only like one out of the whole user database or one out of like 10 out of the user database and it was infact not somthing those other users made up but rather stolen from me while they randomly browsed the database for interesting names to nab.

Anyways. When i was going through Blizz's site about the races becoming playable, i noticed that all the expansion-related races were up there. I dont think blood elves have actually been accessible to non-BC users for over a year like it was mentioned earlier in the thread. After reading that TBC and Vanilla were combined, it makes sense that it could of gotten miss-interpreted, least, until you discovered you could lvl from 58-70 in outlands.

Anywho, i thought it was interesting and i am glad to see that Blizz is on the ball here with opening up all the race options at once opposed to opening pandas and then later on, finally opening the other races. Classes are still restricted (DK and Monk), as I guess, they should be to give some incentive to buy the expansions, and ive pretty much just rolled over submissive to the whole argument because i am obviously grossley outnumbered and my opinion wont influence Blizz's decisions, irregardless of the topic without a large chunk of a community behind my back (still wanting EotB back >_> thats one thing i still wish to fight for).

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

I'm not sure the intent is to go 'lol ALL of you are uncreative!' But an astounding majority of those that use the special characters are, and give the whole thing a bad taste for many people.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

no, ß is a double "S". In other words: pronounced "ss".

the whole accents in names thing bothers me only when it's pushed to the ridiculous extremes that I keep seeing every day.

people whose entire names are made up of accented letters.
people who try to slip a fast one past Blizzard's censors by making rude character names using alt-chars.

and I guess what bugs me about people tossing random accents on vowels is because of all the Hollywood zombies who think it "looks cool" to have an accent in a name, even if it makes absolutely no etymological sense.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Your alt, Xakaal, has a made up name, which is creative, especially since you're cool with the special character being used as intended.

It's the people who just use the alt code letters to get the name they want visually that drive me up the wall.

Mass generalizations simply do not cover things well. :| All I can say (again) is that in my own experience, I haven't seen an accented name used the "correct" way in game. I usually see what Sukurachi just referred to.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Ziarre wrote:I'm not sure the intent is to go 'lol ALL of you are uncreative!' But an astounding majority of those that use the special characters are, and give the whole thing a bad taste for many people.
I know, my comment was to be in agreement with Meg's comment ^-^ I wasnt purposely chasing after a community of similar-minded individuals who consider the poor use of one (just one, anymore then that, if its misused its annoying) accent letter for a name that means a lot to them is uncreative. Ive seen a lot of people who i am honestly craving to report for having nearly every single character of their name accented when the original name is 1) not even taken, and 2) sorely misused but they never talk so i can never report them unless i actually open up a ticket, but i'd rather just go with 'report player name' for them. But yea, i was just agreeing with Meg about the narrow-minded comment she made cause it really struck me because of my own personal experiences with people like that.

@Kalli, i extremely agree about the people who use several accented letters poorly are extremely annoying (as i mentioned in above paragraph ^_^), but the wording of comments made sorta stung which is probably why it proc'd meg and i to respond as we did

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Xakaal wrote:@Kalli, i extremely agree about the people who use several accented letters poorly are extremely annoying (as i mentioned in above paragraph ^_^), but the wording of comments made sorta stung which is probably why it proc'd meg and i to respond as we did
Yup, hence the clarifying responses afterwards saying that though the words were harsh, they weren't directed at players who think like you. Given, it's a personal choice and not something that really deserves harsh wording. It's basically ineloquently expressed frustration with the equivalent of terrible grammar.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Raiyen
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Raiyen »

I agree it can be ridiclous and excessive if you use every word as an accented one. But one or maybe two letters with accents, I see no issue. Yeah, it may not make sense, but if you got a name you really like and it is already used, you may alternate to change it around.

Now I only have ONE toon with accents, that is my mage, Akërá. My hunter is Kasstra which if I remember right was a random name via Blizzard end. My other, Rakesha, I actually looked up Jamaican/Voodoo type names because she was originally a troll. I do try to come up with creative names, but the ones I end up thinking up have been used, which is kinda annoying. Especially when you think you are all creative and everything and you find out the name is already used. D:

I am not as annoyed about the playable races now as I was yesterday. I see a good many of the points people have made and like someone else said, it's not worth fussing about because Blizzard did it so, meh, whatever. lol
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I'm glad new players can try all the races it gets them more likely to subscribe,but in a way I feel like I should get some money back too for buying the right to do that when now it's not needed. I dunno I am wierd. :lol:
Kaellan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Kaellan »

I don't know why but I don't like the idea of all the races being playable. To me having a new race was something that should be reserved for those who buy the expansion, it would be one of the perks. Just like the pet battles and stuff. I guess, I'm in the minority.. I respect those who feel the opposite.

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Kaellan wrote:I don't know why but I don't like the idea of all the races being playable. To me having a new race was something that should be reserved for those who buy the expansion, it would be one of the perks. Just like the pet battles and stuff. I guess, I'm in the minority.. I respect those who feel the opposite.
I agree with you as well.
I don't see it as a serious issue, but... for some small reason, I'd have preferred if the new races had been linked to the purchase of the expansion.

it's not like I'm going to /rant and [Thunderstomp] my feet and hold my breath until I get my way... LOL
but.. meh
I've already ordered my CE upgrades :D

"Step on no pets!"

Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

I have no problem with this. They're giving their customers a little incentive to buy MoP by allowing them to play a panda. It's a business decision and won't affect my enjoyment of the game at all but may enhance someone else's. Nothing wrong with that.

And this! So much this!
Ziarre wrote:...If I have to do research just to type someone's name, then there is a problem.
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Ok so I just went on the beta and created a new character on Gilneas named Féâäçêì without any problems at all. Are you people sure they are removing accents from the naming rules?
ImageImage
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I must say...I actually haven't seen anything about them removing accents from the game. Not since late cata. I think because the feedback was so negative, they may not implement it. Something like that would've been mentioned by now.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine