Ambient Lighting in MoP - Concerned

Sar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Re: Ambient Lighting in MoP - Concerned

Unread post by Sar »

I really cannot see the point in making the game this blindingly bright - it negates a lot of work done by the art team in texturing basically anything white in bright areas.
Social Media: YouTube | Twitter | Nerd Rooted
Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Ickabob »

These new effects are very jarring. I think I'm going to go see the eye doctor after playing. >_>
Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

Tahlian wrote:Mrph...I don't even want to think what those new lighting effects will do to animals like Ankha...
Or my favorite pet of all, my white sabercat, Dulcinea! :cry:
Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

My hunter is an ice troll so most of her stable is white, light blue, and dark blue. Her favorite most-used pets are white tho (the large blueish-white vanilla worg and the white bear models, and if i need the roar of courage buff while in a non-bm specc then i use my white saber cat)

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I've been griping about this since the beginning of beta because it turns my draenei into a glaring white vacuum of ow.

But oh no, there hasn't been word one about anyone fixing it. I guess I'll just have to pay to recustomize him to something that doesn't hurt to look at. (THAT MUST BE IT, IT'S A PLOY FROM BLIZ TO FORCE PEOPLE TO BUY RECUSTOMIZATIONS!)

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

This was a draenei I found at one point in the starter zone:

It's terrible and makes me not want to look at the game. What kind of programmer wants people to not look at their game, I ask you?

Anyway, I made (another) thread about the graphics, linking back to this thread; please head over there and add your two cents if you can. It's a bit down to the wire but maybe they'll fix it still.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... 7?page=1#0

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

This seems to be a zone by zone effect, which would explain why some of us (*cough*) hadn't really noticed before it was pointed out. A full listing of the zones this happens in would be helpful, I think. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

Tahlian wrote:Mrph...I don't even want to think what those new lighting effects will do to animals like Ankha...
Ask and you shall receive. x_x

Ankha on the beta:

Ankha on live:

I don't think you guys want to see the comparison shots I took of her not in the shade, it burned my eyes doing this with her in the shade. >_>;

Bonus! My Kurken, Bakara, in Mulgore. Her flames, they burn my eyes so. x_____x
Last edited by Falcon on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Oh dear. I can see how, toned down, she (and all models) would look absolutely lovely, with dynamic lighting and all. Dynamic light is something WoW sorely needs, it adds a very dramatic touch and WoW's flat light system really lacks that. But that's… Uh… Too much. >.>

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

Indeed, it makes me sad. Magria's almost as bad as Ankha, too. Also, updated my post with a screenshot I took of my Kurken. Her flames on the beta are no longer flames, they're now a rather blinding blur. x_x
magepower13
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub

Unread post by magepower13 »

At least we have a "ghost mode" now, I suppose. In Veph's post on the front page she almost looks like a dark ranger, but without the red eyes.

I agree with many posts though, the new lighting is blinding in its intensity. It was also on the PTR as I remember seeing it when I selected my Draenei Shaman to log in as...her face was totally washed out by it.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

It's definitely on the PTR. I noticed it when taking screenshots. Some of the critters were *glowing*, and others were metallic the light was so 'dynamic'. And I don't mean metal ones. I mean 'white rabbits in Redridge'. Trying to get a good screenshot was like trying to get a screenshot of something that was white mercury.

I noticed a couple areas on the ground, as well, where soil was looking reflective because of the brilliance of light. *Soil*.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Kurasu wrote:It's definitely on the PTR. I noticed it when taking screenshots. Some of the critters were *glowing*, and others were metallic the light was so 'dynamic'. And I don't mean metal ones. I mean 'white rabbits in Redridge'. Trying to get a good screenshot was like trying to get a screenshot of something that was white mercury.

I noticed a couple areas on the ground, as well, where soil was looking reflective because of the brilliance of light. *Soil*.
That's actually a perfect way of describing it. Everything looks metallic. Things shine that shouldn't necessarily shine, and I just wish there was a way to turn it off. Even if you disable the new SSAO graphics option it doesn't have much effect, the lighting change is still there underneath no matter what settings are messed with. :(
Boven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Has anybody gone to a desert-type zone to check the lighting out? From some angles, the ground can be pretty bright on live. I was in Tanaris last night doing the Horde ravasaur daily when I started to wonder how bad it'd be in the zone on beta...with a white coated Tauren...with light armor...and a white pet like Kurken.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Well, here we are down to the wire and no sign of this being addressed. x__x

I'm probably going to end up forced to pay for a recust/racechange for my draenei hunter, because he's a white-on-white and I don't want to be stuck staring at a blown-out hole in the middle of my screen instead of a character. I wonder if this is a ploy? Make everyone pay for recusts because something they changed in the game makes their old look unbearable?

... probably tinfoil hatty but still... I resent this. x_x

Hilde
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Draenor eu

Unread post by Hilde »

Seriously Blizz? :p

I'm a fan of shiny. I'm a huge fan of shiny. But not like this.
Vephriel

Looks like we just have to live with it. I've kept SSAO turned off (it's a setting in the advanced graphics I believe). It helps slightly, along with that glow macro posted in this thread, but I'm still not thrilled. :(
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I have to admit that having played with it in live, I'm less concerned than I was previously. It's still… very bright, but only in a select few zones for me, and seeing as I'm usually staring at the back of my character's head, it's not too much of an issue. This is with SSAO off. It's actually managed to just improve the look of a lot of things, giving them pretty, dynamic lighting instead of the horrible flat light that we used to have. Again, not in *all* zones, but at least in many so far.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Vephriel

*nodnod* I definitely don't disagree that it looks nice in some areas, and as long as there isn't a bright light source in a zone it's lovely. It just kills me when it's over the top and washes everything out, particularly my character since I'm so used to taking screenshots with them highlighted.
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Having three draenei on my charsel I am certainly not happy.
ImageImage