Legendary Pet Quest (Idea/Story)

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Legendary Pet Quest (Idea/Story)

Unread post by Acherontia »

This is it. You're at level cap. Been playing for ages, hunting in Sholazar, roaming Grizzly Hills, even poking your nose into enemy territory to see if their animal companions are tameable by your kind. Pets seem so amazing on one hand--so varying and many-colored... and yet, they are so bland. They simply sit by your side doing nothing, and it is up to YOU to attribute a personality and so forth to your pet. And nobody else will ever notice it. Does it matter? Maybe not. But to have something eye-catching, something that perfectly matches your personality...

"I have news from the North, hunter." The questgiver's words perk your ears right up. You've done all the class quests already.

...Haven't you?

"There is a shaman of some renown who wishes to speak with you. Make your way to her cave in Winterspring, overlooking the tunnel to Mount Hyjal."

So you go. You fly through the icy air and trek through the snow, trudging up through a storm and finally finding refuge in the cave. At the back, you find the shaman--staring into a fire and chanting, waving her hands in the smoke.

"I foresaw your arrival, hunter," she says. "I have three questions for you, and these questions will decide your fate--and the fate of another. Please, sit."

You remember another asking you questions--a gnoll, a sage? He'd been grinning at you from the Darkmoon Faire tent, and you were sure he was a quack until he foretold your future correctly.

"To walk in the sunlight, warm and bright, or slip through the midnight trees?" the shaman asks. There is a strange glint in her eyes as you give your answer.

She nods, as if this was what she had expected you to say.

"Would you kill one to save many? Or would you fight, perhaps winning, or perhaps damning you all?" You think about this for a few minutes, and then give her your second answer.

"What matters more: what you see before you, or the spirit and force behind it all?" One last time, you give your answer.

"Then it is settled. There are many creatures which I see in my visions. Many who need help. And there is only time to save one. Your answers have decided for us. I require of you three things, if we are to rescue this creature..."

She hands you a small piece of parchment. On it are several mysterious and impossible tasks.

A fang of Deathwing?!
A pebble from the bottom of the sea?
An everburning branch from the tainted demons at Hyjal?
A feather from a Feralas Hippogryph...
A length of chain fashioned by Ironforge dwarves...
A sedative created by the Undercity's apothecaries...

You do not understand, but you obey. It is weeks before you return, tired but curious. The shaman wastes no time in creating a single poison-tipped arrow with which you are to subdue this creature--and a chain with which you are to lead it back.

The shaman gives you an elixir. You drink this and enter the world of visions--everything is magical and shimmering, and the normal creatures of the world are gone. Your standard companions are left behind. Everything is silent.

Then, before you, a creature appears in a clearing. There are dark figures around it, poking, stabbing, tormenting. The beast catches your eye: it is the most beautiful creature you have ever seen. (Depending on how you answered and what is currently in your stable, the species, model, color & markings will change--but it will be a Legendary-unique skin, perhaps one of dozens.) The beast fights the figures, but it is bound. You pick them off one by one, and the beast turns to you.

* The creature turns to you and threatens, blindly ferocious due to the torment it has endured. *

You fire the sedative.

* The creature collapses before you, fast asleep--for now. *

You attach the chain, and wait. Soon the creature comes to, and the magically-enhanced chain binds it to you--it follows you silently back to the shaman.

The shaman speaks many words of magic over the beast, and soon she pronounces it your new companion. And it is.

It is larger than others of its kind: faster, stronger, and far more striking to the eye. Finally, a unique pet--one that you saved from the brink of destruction. And you know that now, when others look upon the pair of you, they will fear you both--they will sense the power inherent in this amazing beast, and know that only a truly dedicated and fearsome hunter could have returned alive with it by his or her side.

(I'll add an image or two to this later, but here's the general idea: the old idea for a class quest for a legendary pet. Wtb :( )

Edit, for image:

Attachments
Legendary Pets.png
Legendary Pets.png (292.13 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Sochi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Re: Legendary Pet Quest (Idea/Story)

Unread post by Sochi »

I'd run those quests for those pets. That tiger and owl are glorious.

Pity we don't get something like this.
Nevar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Nevar »

They are all so beautiful, I'd love all of them omg.. O_O

Foxy and Wiley! <3

Siggy credit to Erwil! and Avatar credit to Erwil as well!!

Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

Love that tiger. <3

Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||

Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I would love a quest like this if say one of the questions is what is my favourite pet family...that way i would get a pet that I know I'd really like. Though it'd be tough to choose between Hyena and Fox lol.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

What an awesome idea!

I'd love to see something like that in-game. Wouldn't even have to be Legendary as far as I'm concerned! I still reckon the hunter-specific classic end-game quests were some of the most fun I've had with my hunter, even though I didn't get do them until BC.
Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Uldum

Unread post by Epicfail »

I would totally go for this, but if I have to snag a fang of deathwing, I'd want to have a tamed deathwing pet. Even a chimaera that had his skin and jaw would pwn all and possibly replace my Numeroc... possibly....
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
rubybeam

Unread post by rubybeam »

those are all nice I really love how they look, the wolf looks fuzzy and cute yet calm an powerful
the tiger looks exotic and strong
the owl looks like riche's found all over the world untainted by the hands of greed
the spider looks like a calm ocean blue, almost like a dream
and the sepent looks dark and evil, very very lustful

of course I went a little to far didn't I?
Awesome signature by the awesome pengupuff!
Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

rubybeam wrote:those are all nice I really love how they look, the wolf looks fuzzy and cute yet calm an powerful
the tiger looks exotic and strong
the owl looks like riche's found all over the world untainted by the hands of greed
the spider looks like a calm ocean blue, almost like a dream
and the sepent looks dark and evil, very very lustful

of course I went a little to far didn't I?

yeah... I mean, the spider looking like the calm ocean blue... that's a bit of a stretch IMHO.
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
Quin
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (US )

Unread post by Quin »

I'd love a quest like that! :D
Quiniel Suncrier

Mini-Pet Collection - Mount Collection - Tabard Collection

Many thanks to Ket Shi for the lovely signature and Moonlost for the wonderful avatar!
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Acherontia wrote:It is larger than others of its kind: faster, stronger, and far more striking to the eye. Finally, a unique pet--one that you saved from the brink of destruction. And you know that now, when others look upon the pair of you, they will fear you both--they will sense the power inherent in this amazing beast, and know that only a truly dedicated and fearsome hunter could have returned alive with it by his or her side.
I'm all for it. Except this. If they make these special pets better, theorycrafters will require hunters to have one, even if it's just a fifty DPS increase. It effectively limits our choice, not too skins or models, like we have now, with varieties of wolves, but to ONE specific skin and model. The unique pet.

A quest like that sounds awesome, but in the end, it can't turn out well, unless these unque pets are exactly like old ones in stats. That was the problem with spirit beasts. They, like these, were meant to be trophies. But they got nerfed to allow BM hunters a bigger choice. A spirit beast now is more a sign of a hunter that doesn't play to 100% than of a skilled and dedicated hunter. In reality, it doesn't matter, but things like devilsaurs and spirit beasts just screams Beast Master, which isn't really a good things in todays raid- and playerenvironment.

Sorry if I sound like some elitist jerk now, I didn't mean to. I LOVE the idea of a unique pet that shows off dedication from the hunter, but sadly, having such a unique pet be better than others renders it less unique. You guys remember how many non-wolves there were before WOTLK? Now, think of how it is today. 4/5 pets are wolves.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Saturo wrote:
Acherontia wrote:It is larger than others of its kind: faster, stronger, and far more striking to the eye. Finally, a unique pet--one that you saved from the brink of destruction. And you know that now, when others look upon the pair of you, they will fear you both--they will sense the power inherent in this amazing beast, and know that only a truly dedicated and fearsome hunter could have returned alive with it by his or her side.
I'm all for it. Except this. If they make these special pets better, theorycrafters will require hunters to have one, even if it's just a fifty DPS increase. It effectively limits our choice, not too skins or models, like we have now, with varieties of wolves, but to ONE specific skin and model. The unique pet.

A quest like that sounds awesome, but in the end, it can't turn out well, unless these unque pets are exactly like old ones in stats. That was the problem with spirit beasts. They, like these, were meant to be trophies. But they got nerfed to allow BM hunters a bigger choice. A spirit beast now is more a sign of a hunter that doesn't play to 100% than of a skilled and dedicated hunter. In reality, it doesn't matter, but things like devilsaurs and spirit beasts just screams Beast Master, which isn't really a good things in todays raid- and playerenvironment.

Sorry if I sound like some elitist jerk now, I didn't mean to. I LOVE the idea of a unique pet that shows off dedication from the hunter, but sadly, having such a unique pet be better than others renders it less unique. You guys remember how many non-wolves there were before WOTLK? Now, think of how it is today. 4/5 pets are wolves.
^ this.

but blizz said they don't like content that only one class gets to see and none of the others get. Its easier for them to just toss a few exotic looking skinned beasts out there or allow you to tame thunder lizards or something. The way your quest runs sounds a lot like the summoned demons quests for warlocks. Now, Warlocks on the other hand, totally need quests to pimp out their demons. You think WE have it bad. They've had big blue to solo with since like level 10. The same pet. Every level. Every expansion. No update. Makes you think, don't it.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Ahh....but warlocks also get enslave demon...and there are A LOT of demons out there! So, yes, they have thier default class minions, and then they have any other demon skin in exsistance (aside from maybe some world bosses)

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Raydex-of-the-dawn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Dawnbringer

Unread post by Raydex-of-the-dawn »

Enslave Demon has a very short duration.

Still, I support this, though you might want to make the taming itself repeatable if you reobtain the items, in case you emergency drop it or set off your petdrop script by mistake.

Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

i think this would be awsome and alot of fun but everyone has good points :) and i could just see the qq about hunters getting special pets again like when we got the SB's ( least on my old server i saw alot of it)

though again i think this would be alot of fun :D I LOVE the tiger and wolf i can haz nao?
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars