Skyrim and Steam and Sharing Question

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Skyrim and Steam and Sharing Question

Unread post by Royi »

Hey folks,

My father in law recently finished playing through Skyrim which he purchased and downloaded through Steam. He said now that he's completed it he's not incredibly worried about 'getting banned for sharing' or whathaveyou, so he gave me his steam username and password and told me if I wanted to, to download the game and give it a go.

Question: I already have a steam account on my computer (i got a free dirt3 game i havent played yet with my video card that had to be downloaded through there). Is there any risk if i were to sign out and then log in on his account information to download and play Skyrim?

Its not a huge deal for me to just wait till the game drops to 20 bucks and get it myself, I'm just concerned mainly that it would negatively impact his Steam account by attempting to get it right now.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Felidire
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary(A/H), Wyrmrest Accord(H)

Re: Skyrim and Steam and Sharing Question

Unread post by Felidire »

Well i'm not an avid steam user (and I pirated my version) but I wouldn't imagine there'd be any serious risk. It's family, and besides, I see people selling steam accounts all the time. I'm guessing you'd have to download it one way or the other though, and it wouldn't really be any different from torrenting the game would it? At least the latter that wouldn't involve (potentially) risking someone else's account.

|Felidire| - |Harkoa| - dA - |Kibblepaws| - |Tiril|
B/W: Feli // 0347 2599 7931

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

You wont have any problems unless he wants to use any of his games that work on steam if ur loged on to his account. You can put any steam games on as many computers as you see fit as you only need to be logged on to play them. It's like WoW you can install the game on any computer you just need the login to play. If you gte my drift.

I use steam on both my PC and laptop perfectly fine I just need to log in when I need to play a game.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Thanks for the tip Feli, but I'd rather not torrent video games myself (nothing against it, just I had a friend who got a cease and desist for torrenting from his ISP so I do very little torrenting just to be safe) ~ :)

Cow~ so mainly if we just make sure to not sign in at the same time at different locations, there shouldn't really be a risk?
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Royi wrote:Thanks for the tip Feli, but I'd rather not torrent video games myself (nothing against it, just I had a friend who got a cease and desist for torrenting from his ISP so I do very little torrenting just to be safe) ~ :)

Cow~ so mainly if we just make sure to not sign in at the same time at different locations, there shouldn't really be a risk?
Yup. If you did it proberly will say something like "allready logged on".