Guild Wars 2

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Guild Wars 2

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

*crawls from the abyss* Yeah, I've been spam playing this now with the new expansion...it's pretty great! Currently working on the hidden mount as I've gone thru the personal story stuff (what an ending!). If anyone wants to be buddies, I'm Maxxie.8356.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

My bestie and I got our raptors today! (we just hit 80 today for the first time, very exciting :D )

Can't wait to get into the Crystal Desert areas, they're gorgeous, but for now we're going back and finishing our main storyline from the original game. We want to at least try to keep things somewhat lore chronological. Though Heart of Thorns content felt...very messy and confusing and while the areas were gorgeous to look at neither of us liked the way it felt. We did enough to unlock gliding but I have a feeling we won't be hurrying to complete that expansion. :/ (neither of us played at the time, both of us just recently returned to the game together after years of not touching it, but we're having a lot of fun just discovering things ourselves and at our own pace)
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I've been wanting to jump back in, but my computer is jacked up, my husband yoinked my monitor, and we're broke, so I've been on consoles for the past few months. Those raptor are gorgeous!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

What is the lowest populated server on GW2? If i am to try this I want to avoid other ppl as much as possible..

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Pretty sure all the servers are kind of merged into one right now and then it just sort of realm hops you like WoW depending on the populations of the zones. It's not a big deal to have other people running around in GW2 anyway; they typically don't bother you, or they'll help you out. In GW2 you don't have to be grouped to benefit from other people being around, and it's the only way to complete the big zone wide events that happen (which are fun and give lots of good rewards).

I keep hoping to find time to get back into GW2 myself. Really enjoy the game.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Heh If I am to try it I want to do it solo for various silly reasons. I am actually not a people person at all :D If there is to many ppl around me I feel boxed in and it actually makes me quit the game... but I give it ago to see If I like it..

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I'm not a people person either; I rarely notice the others around me. I do my own thing and mind my own business when I play. Then I jump in on champion battles and such if I'm around when they occur.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Guildwars 2 is free to play now yes?
Ohh and is there pvp and pve servers? I REALLY dont want to play Pvp!!

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

GW2 has always been f2p, just need to buy the initial game (however you can make a trial account for free that you can level up to 20 on, and if you like, you can buy the game full). PvP is restricted to certain areas of the game that you have to manually teleport to from a PvP window (same for World vs World). There is no open-world PvP like in WoW. What server you're on pretty much only matters for WvW stuff, since you can play with anyone on any server.

You also don't have to worry about someone snagging resources from in front of you, everyone can mine the ore/gather the herb/log the tree without interfering with anyone else.

The game is very friendly to solo players in general, but groups of people is also super easy, with you not even having to be in a group to get the benefits of everyone else (you just won't see party chat basically). The personal story stuff is all solo if you want to.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I thought the need to buy the initial game was gone? And that I could lvl and stuff just not the new content. Its a VERY expensive game to buy incase I dont like it heh

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

After looking around, I guess the base game without the expansions is free now...hadn't realized that (I've been playing the game for 5 years now lol). That's cool!
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

When it comes to monsters are they primarily humanoids or Beast?

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Uh, both? There's quite a few factions in the game (not talking about rep stuff like in WoW). Lots of beasts, but also lots of other people you gotta deal with, including groups in each race's starting areas (Sylvari deal with Nightmare Court, Norn deal with Sons of Svanir, Charr deal with Flame Legion, Humans deal with Separatists, and Asura deal with Inquest). The world is huge, and there's lots of other races you interact with, especially compared to WoW (hylek, quaggon, tengu, grawl, etc). Plus all the dragon minions. But there's tons of beasts too. Your story stuff will deal almost entirely with humanoid stuff tho.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Thanks for the info :). I might try it out, not sure though.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

So far it seams like its VERY "other ppl are everywhere " game. Im only lvl 8 but there are ppl litteraly every where :/. The quests comfuse me a bit. .seams to be more area event based than quest like Im used too. So far it does not look like a game for me but I promised to give it until lvl 15. .. but so far it does not looking good.. too many humanoids you need to kill and way way way too many ppl!

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I'd have to look at the dailies. Some zones have dailies in them and that'll bring in lots of people. The "hearts" are kind of lil area quest things, and when you complete them, you unlock vendors you can buy stuff from (what the vendor has varies quite a bit from each heart). The heart is pretty much solo thing to do. The events in the area most often can be done solo, but people will usually gather for them. The personal story is instanced so you never have other people in those unless you invite them. You can do the story modes of dungeons if you want to solo (just try to be near the level requirement for them).

If you want, perhaps I can help you get to some areas where there's less people? Starting areas tend to be a bit more busy cause of people making new toons and such. When you get higher level, you can travel a lot farther, and you'll scale to lower zones level.

I love GW2 for the fact that it's ridiculously customizable for your characters...never see the same look twice. Makes it very personable for me (I wish WoW could get on this level, then I'd probably go back to it). Plus the community in GW2 is waaaaay more positive and less toxic than WoW. People are always willing to help out, and everyone can rez so that's a huge bonus.

I can't really think of any games tho that are tailored more to what you want...anymore, all open world stuff tends to be MMO and will have lots of humanoids since that tends to be where the story is at.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Nah I decided its not for me.. I wanted a game with less magic, less other ppl and less violence and this game sadly has plenty of all of these :/ So I just uninstalled it again...I think I stick to Novus Inceptio.. bit boring but atleast its only me and only animals :D

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

GW2 was never "free to play" in the beginning; it was "buy to play." Meaning you had to purchase the initial game, then after that it was free to play and access the servers. The base game is now officially free to play, however. :)

GW2 is not like a traditional MMO. There is not the traditional "holy trinity" (tank, dps, heal), the quests are not traditional, events/dungeons are not traditional. You have to take what you expect from games like WoW and kind of throw it out the window (though WoW has included some aspects of GW2 into their game). Yes, there are lots of other people around while you're playing (it's something they changed to make the servers less empty), however, they literally have no effect on your game play. Everyone gets credit for mobs damaged and everyone is able to mine/herb/chop trees. The group events are entirely optional, but great to do as often they'll help you complete your object and give great xp.

The world is beautiful and pretty open. The graphics look great even on low settings. The crafting system is actually pretty cool, pretty easy to figure out, and rewards xp (cooking is one of my favorites). I like the rewards for exploring and questing, it makes being in a zone a lot more interesting. Vistas are fun since a lot of them are like puzzles.

I understand the game is not for everyone, but I guess I don't see how just not liking other people around means someone won't play it. They're called MMOs, by definition they're intended to have lots of people around. And the people in GW2 don't even require interaction if you so choose.

[/center]
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

It is a stunning game but I am a little weird. .having ppl run around me makes me feel a little ill. .Best word I can find for it. I know mmo has ppl but I would like to be able to be myself. . The best mmo i have felt that lonelyness in was everquest 1.. however it had other faults so I am not playing that either anymore ;). I KNOW I am weird and it's super hard to explain the feelings in me .. trying different games out atm to see if anything can come closed to what i am looking for... so far the single player option on novus inceptio is the closes ive come. .It need some more features though ;).

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Your best options are single player games, then, not MMOs. MMOs are meant to have lots of people around and for you to interact with people.

[/center]