Guild Wars 2 Bestiary - Updated from BWE2

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Guild Wars 2 Bestiary - Updated from BWE2

Unread post by Acherontia »

This is stuff I found last BWE. Here's the info & pet list if anyone wants; feel free to add to it. Still working on a GW2 pet list/info site!

* How Taming Works
* List & Images
* Tameable Locations

How Taming Works:

You can run up to any Juvenile (the name will be prefaced by the word Juvenile) version of a beast, and F to Charm it. It is then "unlocked."

You have four pet slots--two for Land pets, two for Aquatic (all of which can be filled by their respective + Amphibious pets) which you can slot with any unlocked pet, and you can switch them around whenever you are out of combat. You can also swap between your Active (slotted) pets at any time, although there's a short cooldown if your swapped-out pet was injured. That means once you "tame" a Wolf, you don't need to worry about ever finding another Wolf.

Your pet can be Downed (it won't fight but rather will limp & follow you about) but you can revive it, and you can heal it, and it will revive with you if you res at a Waypoint. You can choose from 3 pets (race-specific) at start, and you can rename your pets, although some of mine seem to "forget" their names when cycled through the "stables" and re-slotted/summoned (they can be renamed again, fear not!). Likewise, once you "unlock" a pet, you can't tame another one of it--it's unlocked, and that's that.

Each unlockable pet has different abilities--some are shared in a family, and some are unique to that pet (so a Polar and Brown bear will each have something unique, and share something).

As far as I can tell, there is NO way to permanantly lose a pet.

List & Images

Bears: Arctodus, Black Bear, Brown Bear, Murrelow, Polar Bear
Birds: Black Moa, Blue Moa, Eagle, Flamingo, Snowy Owl, Raven, Red Moa, White Moa, White Raven
Canines: Wolf, Alpine Wolf, Fern Hound, Hyena, Krytan Drakehound
Cats: Jaguar, Jungle Stalker, Lynx, Snow Leopard
Devourers: Carrion Devourer, Lashtail Devourer, Whiptail Devourer
Drakes: Ice Drake, Marsh Drake, River Drake, Salamander Drake
Pigs: Warthog, Pig, Siamoth
Spiders: Black Widow Spider, Cave Spider, Forest Spider, Jungle Spider

Aquatics: Armorfish, Shark,Jellyfish 1, Jellyfish 2(there's 3 Jellyfish types, but only 2 colors from what I can tell, and they didn't seem stable?).

NOTE: I know that Hyenas are not canines, but GW2 groups them that way. I'm also not 100% sure if these family groupings are all exact.

Tameable Juvenile Beast Locations:

Norn Region

Alpine Wolf: wolf lodge/shrine upper level (right side if you’re facing inward) in Hoelbrak
Ice Drake: near the Broodmother’s den in Wayfarer Hills; southeast of Taigan Hills @ river mouth; road’s end on the southern shore of Valslake (Snowden)
Snow Leopard: at the Snow Leopard shrine in Wayfarer Hills; just right of the road heading up left from the Shrine in Hoelbrak, on a snowy embankment
Raven: near the Raven shrine, along the road, in Wayfarer Hills
Brown Bear: near the Bear shrine, along the water/cave area, in Wayfarer Hills; Under "T" in Talajian Piedmont, Kryta, Human lands
Arctodus: cave along Frusenfell Creek in far northeastern Wayfarer Hills (several 8-10 normal/Veteran ones too, with fast respawns, be aware!) Map - http://i.imgur.com/dmTM1.png ; Or, enter the cave west of the Halvaunt Waypoint, and break down the doors just inside & to the right--there are mobs here, including a Veteran, as well as two Juv. Arctodus inside the doors, Wayfarer Foothills
Polar Bear: Inside Hoelbrak, west of the Snow Leopard lodge on Lake Mourn.
White Moa: Slightly southeast of the Lynxes below (note: see http://i.imgur.com/86mSJ.png for a map showing Lynxes & Moas here)
Lynx: East of Snowdrift waypoint, near Hrothgar’s Pass in Snowden Drifts.
Owl: Just outside the cave of the “Voice of Koda,” slightly east of the Song of Final Exile, Snowden Drifts; outside of Owl Lodge, Owl’s Abattoir, Snowden Drifts

Charr Region

Hyena: Charr starter area, near the ruined arch in Gunbreach Hills; also southwest of Victor’s Presidium, Ascalon
Black Bear: Forest/meadows south of Charr’s Triumph (Ascalon, east of Black Citadel)
Red Moa: Plains of Ashford, eastern lip of Agnos Gorge (southeast of the giant crystal); also far southeastern shore of the Ascalon Basin
Whiptail Devourer: Southern Cadem Forest, at the gates of Devourer's Mouth, outside & east from Black Citadel (north on map), Charr lands (Note: seems to only be present after the Egg event completes, when the big event Devourer spawns); Western side of the map between Ruins of Rin & Ligacus Notos, Black Citadel
Lashtail Devourer: Just to the right of the words “Arcovian Foothills” on the Ascalon map; also between Rancher’s Wash & Reaper’s Corridor in Diessa Plateau; Southwest corner of Ruins of Rin, Black Citadel
Juvenile Warthog: Just beneath the “The Blasted Moors” text on the Diessa Plateau map; also east of Nemus Grove, in the woods
River Drake: Northeastern Breachwater Lake: swim east underwater, near the bridge, into the seaweed until you enter a cave, and in the rear left there is one Juvenile on land, Diessa Plateau

Human Region

Eagle: Gap Waypoint (sat on ground nearby), Kessex Hills; Mountains north of the "Overlook Caverns" text in Gendarren Hills, flying around
River Drake: Kessex Hills, river west of Delanian Foothills; around the island in Lake Bounty, Gendarren Fields
Pig: Claypool town, farm at the west; Ossam Quarter, Divinity's Reach; Cornucopian Fields, Gendarren Fields; Farshore Ward farm, Lion's Arch
Boar: Northeast of Claypool, in the forest
Krytan Drakehound: Just left of the stairs joining the Farms with the Shire; Rurikton, Divinity's Reach, Human; Lion's Arch, just above Western Ward text
Blue Jellyfish: Deep water (near stone ruins) just west of Sanctum Harbor, Lion's Arch
Shark: Deep in Viathan Lake, about halfway between the V and the heart on the map (surrounded by many hostile Kraites)
Brown Bear: Cereboth Waypoint, Kessex Hills (Cereboth Canyon)
Armorfish: Lion's Arch: look for the "Down" symbol at the southern docks, beneath a moored ship, and swim down into the stone tunnel there. Take the tunnel down at the crossroads to find the Armorfish.
Warthog: Vigilant Hills, Gendarren Fields
Forest Spider: West of the "Beetletun Farms" text, southeast of the Hunting Lodge/west of the pipelines, Queensdale

WvWvW Regions
(These are made up of "The Eternal Battlegrounds" along with three idential Borderlands zones; pets will be marked with TEB or Borderlands. Note that these Juveniles are NOT all friendly; some are white- or red-named, so keep your eyes out and your triggerfinger calm!)
Salamander Drake: Near the "Refuge" text of Refuge Hill in the southeast *corner* (south of the water, even) of TEB
Wolf (Brown): Just east of Bravost Escarpment, in the woods (I only saw *one*)
Snow Leopard: Hill southewest of "Shadaran Hills" text, Borderlands
Pig: Near Hero's Lodge, Borderlands
Warthog: Southwest of Hero's Lodge, on hill overlooking spider forest, Borderlands
Forest Spider: Forest southwest of Hero's Lodge, Borderlands
River Drake: Water southeast of Hero's Lodge, Borderlands
Blue Jellyfish: Water southeast of Hero's Lodge, Borderlands
Marsh Drake: Water west of Klovan Gully/north of Jerrifer's Slough, TEB
Warthog: Just south of Wildcreek Run, TEB

Beasts that are currently not tameable (not in the list): Bog Drake, Golden Moa, Basilisk, Gryphon, Warg, Krait, Bat, Skale, Coyote, Eagle Raptor, Barracuda, Frost Striker, Armadillo, Black Wolf, Hawk, Icebrood Wolf, Rock Dog, Black Raptor

Pet Bugs:
Names don’t “stick” when pets are cycled from Active & back, although sometimes a pet taking the place of a previous one will take its name. The lower jaws of the Black Bears have been FIXED (YAY!), although the cats' heads still move oddly while running & White Moa tongues still protrude from the side of the beak.
Last edited by Acherontia on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Meggers
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sargeras US

Re: Some GW2 Pet Info

Unread post by Meggers »

I could have -sworn- I saw a norn chick with an eagle. I was looking for one for a while but I only ever saw one I could attack...where are they?! D:
ImageImage
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Re: Some GW2 Pet Info

I'm not entirely sure! I couldn't find one myself, and I still can't find a Snowy Owl (which is a shame, because they have EPICLY cute derp-faces). Updated with where to grab a Polar Bear, though (CUTE, and well-made imo!).

I've taken screenshots of every available pet (they're all unlocked for PvP) and will upload them shortly, for reference.

I've also seen Humans with their Drakehounds in Hoelbrak; I'm not sure how they got here, as I can't seem to find a way to either the Black Citadel or Lion's Arch. Maybe through the PvP way-gates? Edit--apparently the Asura Way-Gates connect the areas!

Edit: EAGLES for ya, from this thread:

Eagle – Manefire Hills, Kessex Hills
****Outside a spiky centaur camp, right on the road.

Also found one at the Gap Waypoint!
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Re: Guild Wars 2 Bestiary

Unread post by Silivren »

Is it just me...or does the Murrelow look like Nosferatu mated with a bear?

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Vulpixen wrote:Is it just me...or does the Murrelow look like Nosferatu mated with a bear?
Yeah, they're pretty crazy, and (imo) so damned ugly that they're almost cute :P Supposedly they're some type of bear that lives deep underground--they're in the bear family & have bear abilities mixed with poison stuffs. Interesting o.O
Silivren

Thats cool, I love the Arctodus though! And theres apparently a Fern Wolf too I thought.. or there was a Mastiff and a Wolf idk I read it somewhere about Sylvari starter pets.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Vulpixen wrote:Thats cool, I love the Arctodus though! And theres apparently a Fern Wolf too I thought.. or there was a Mastiff and a Wolf idk I read it somewhere about Sylvari starter pets.
Yup, he's listed under Canines. He's called a Fern Hound, I think. He has wolf abilities, and his "unique skill" is an HP-regenerating howl, which is AoE. He's also UTTERLY gorgeous, imo, even if it is a little JRPG-ish; it looks very Okami to me, but in color! :D
Silivren

Oh now thats definately badass! I cant wait to have one. O_O

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

That gives another meaning to Cave bear :lol:
Meggers

Unread post by Meggers »

Hnnng, makes me wish the asura and sylvari were open this beta. ;-;
ImageImage
Silivren

I'm making a Sylvari necro so I feel ya. :lol: I just really wanna explore their area.

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Hahadori v2.0! <3

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Meggers

Unread post by Meggers »

lul, moas look so goofy now. like they're a dodo bird. xD
ImageImage
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

That one looks quite like a dodo, yes :lol: HOWEVER, their beak structure differs! The White Moa has a more predatory look imo, and really looks quite nice, as does the Red!

I can totally see this becoming a much-used pet for me :P
Meggers

Unread post by Meggers »

They look so different from the old version! I think they had a bit more of a graceful air to them, they kinda lost that. I also hope they do the jingle versions of the polar bear and white moa in GW2. (When you tamed them they kept the jingle collar!)

ImageImage
ImageImage
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I still crack up at how they are called Moas :lol:
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Ahh yes Meggers, I didn't know! They look quite elegant in GW1, almost like cranes :)
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

AHMAHGAWD, Moas run like Hawkstriders! ALL MY SQUEE.
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

I'm bummed you can't tame any of the Griffons. I saw a Snowy Owl Griffon and I wanted it. T_T

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Meggers

Unread post by Meggers »

Well maybe there is a minipet version? I heard you could get a free 2k gems and then just spam them on minipets. XD

Ok so I got the free 2k gems and bought 6 miniature packs. Each one gives 2 commons (blue quality) and 1 uncommon (green quality) I got a bunch of various critters and npc/humanoid things....notable? got the white moa mini! uncommon -cheer-

----

hnnng been staring at the arctodus cave for a while...no babies to tame...just young ones that want to eat my face

---

figured it out! there are two arctodus caves :) one has the babies (where i am) and one a little south...doesnt. xD

http://i.imgur.com/9BgaY.jpg
ImageImage