Wild pets not tradable anymore in next build

Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Wild pets not tradable anymore in next build

Unread post by Malackai »

Am i the only one that's deeply disappointed with this change?
I was looking forward to go out and hunt for rare pets and trade them with friends or putting then on the AH.

As usual blizzard thinks putting them on AH is taking away the exploration or collection of the system, but this change is is actually enforcing this. After all what is the point in continuing to collect them if you already have all of them? This change is just turning the whole pet system in a one time collect thing! especially since its shared between all your characters on the same server :S
We just finished a pass making all pets that are caught via pet battles in the world non-tradeable. This means these pets cannot be put in cages for trading or posting on the AH. We felt that the option to buy these pets on the AH would take away from the exploration/collection gameplay of the system.

This could always change in a future patch, but this is how it will go out with MoP. You should see the change in our next build.
you can find the topic here :
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... 633?page=1
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/
Bonita
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind (A), Nesingwary (H),

Re: Wild pets not tradable anymore in next build

Unread post by Bonita »

Thats basically the same thought I had. I was going to collect my own, collect some for my friend who doesnt have much time to play wow, but is really looking forward to pet battles, and possibly sell any extras I had on the AH or guild auctions we have. Doing this might makes everyone have to go out into the world, but only once now really. Takes away any incentive to keep going back out and collecting once you already have the quality pets you want. My view on it anyways.

Sig made by Iggypuff
Credit to Sookie, Kurenio, Thorka and Karin for the amazing sigs they made me and Kurenio, Thorka and Seilahyn for the awesome avatars.
Flight Rising!

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

On the plus side, I can see it eliminating a lot of issues we see with those who might want to dominate the pet markets on the AH with exuberant prices.

But I do understand where you guys are comming from when you say you'd like to be able to obtain wild pets for friends and guildies.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I can see both sides, but I also don't mind this from a personal perspective. I prefer to collect my own pets, and at least I won't have to compete with farmers.

It was a surprise though!
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Niabi wrote:On the plus side, I can see it eliminating a lot of issues we see with those who might want to dominate the pet markets on the AH with exuberant prices.

But I do understand where you guys are coming from when you say you'd like to be able to obtain wild pets for friends and guildies.
I can understand that as well personally i like to collect my own pets as well, but the reason blizzard is giving will be the opposite of what will actually happen if this goes live. It will significantly shorten the fun in collecting and exploring because you only need to catch them "once" and cross them of your list sorta speak.

Not to mention if you look at the topic this change was in regards to someone that was complaining about being able to buy max lv pets form the AH and avoiding the learning curve.

This chance wont change that at all since you can still cage and sell max lv vendor pets so people can still avoid the whole learning curve and zoom to the pets they want and capture them :(

But for example I found a rare pet and learned and leveled it. but i noticed it can be sold for quite some money on the AH?
a couple of days later i am leveling an alt and I randomly run in to that rare pet again. there's no point for me to capture it. unless I want to grieve someone? in the old situation those couple of extra K gold could have helped me with my raiding reagents or mats for enchants.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I rather like this idea. It means that the rare pets will no longer have tons of campers just hovering there, catching for the sole purpose of selling them on the AH. Like, for instance, Poseidus. Or the raptor nests. I *like* catching my own pets. It's the whole idea that I wanted to go for.

So does this mean *no* pets will be sellable any more? Or just the ones that you don't get wild?
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Bad news :/

I was hoping on selling the extra rare quality ones I encounter while leveling my favs to help cover my mount-addiction expenses.
I really hope they would rething it.

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Kurasu wrote:I rather like this idea. It means that the rare pets will no longer have tons of campers just hovering there, catching for the sole purpose of selling them on the AH. Like, for instance, Poseidus. Or the raptor nests. I *like* catching my own pets. It's the whole idea that I wanted to go for.

So does this mean *no* pets will be sellable any more? Or just the ones that you don't get wild?
Only the vendor pets and the classical drop pets as far as I am aware will be able to be leveled and caged and put on the AH.
pretty much making the cageble aspect of the whole thing useless.

The fact that you cant sell the wild versions of the pets on the ah wont make people camp them less it will most likely make them camp them more and on top of that it might even cause grieving (special snowflake syndrome) we have already seen how the disaster was with the hunter only pets in fire lands patch.

Besides as far as I am aware most pets have multiple spawn points anyway and you still need to camp them to get the "uncommon" or "rare" version of the pet anyway and if your a diehard pet battler with this change you cant even trade the normal version to someone else or sell it to the people who just want the pet entry.

For me personally I don't care if they end up on the AH either it be leveled or de-leveled back to level 1. But the fact that with this they remove the incentive to keep going out to look for them is what bothers me the most. Especially looking at that silly blue response >_>

Knowing me and how I actually like the pet battles its depressing to know I most likely end up getting the whole list done in a couple of days (minus the rare spawns) and then there's nothing left. Just like archeology.

Well back to proff mats again for money I guess.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Rather surprised by this decision, but I think I'm actually pleased by it. I was a little nervous at the thought of everyone constantly out there camping and catching pets to sell, so this might actually be a good idea.
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Myrrmi »

I can only hope that
This could always change in a future patch, but this is how it will go out with MoP.

means they are just planing to disable it at first, and let it go live later, with 5.1 for example, when most people would have already leveled their way up on their own.

Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Myrrmi wrote:I can only hope that
This could always change in a future patch, but this is how it will go out with MoP.

means they are just planing to disable it at first, and let it go live later, with 5.1 for example, when most people would have already leveled their way up on their own.

If your referring to a specific rare quality version of a low lv pet then yes your correct. but then again if you know its gonna be re-enabled any way the "lazy" people will most likely wait for that and just grab the necessary pets for the achievements in the mean time and wait till ah trading is activated again.

If you mean with leveling (the quest line aka beating the trainers) then your wrong
why? you can still cage the vendor pets and put them on the ah so the lazy people (you know the one blizz was complaining about) will still be able to buy some normal max lv pets of the ah (or if your smart only one and you rush to pandaria and grab some high lv pets and them port back to your AH and put max level vendor pet back (the one you bought in the first place) back on the AH for the next lazy bum to pick it up) and circumvent the whole system anyway :S

there are 2 camps atm
first camp thinks people buying of the AH are trying to circumvent initial leveling so that those people can breeze thought the "content"

other camp thinks that putting rares on the ah is devaluing the whole aspect of the collecting.

Case 1 will still happen with the current solution and while the legitimate people are still leveling and grieving each other in the low lv areas for the rare spawns the ones with the max level pets will most likely comb out pandaria, northrend, outlands grabbing the rares while there still not contested, and them move to the low level zones with there high level pets and with luck the low level trainers have moved out of the zone by then.

Case 2 cant really see why people are bothered with that there are already rares on the AH now we even get a Black market as well. and people are fine with that.

If its the level thing simple revered the pets back to lv 1 when caged.
If its the flooding of the AH make the rare spawns and the rare versions of the pets more rare more in line with other rare pets we can buy on the ah atm.
Or make a simple restriction on the buyer side when it comes to learning the pet.

If its the achievement thing about the X amount of pets. Make only the uncommon version count towards the achievement.
for the ones that not care about that they still be happy with their grey version of the pet and for the people that do want to put some effort in they have to hunt for the uncommon version or if you leave the rare version how it is atm bump it even up to rare quality version of the pet to make it count towards the achievement.

SO many options to do without butchering the whole trading aspect of it.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

I DESPISE this change.

Quite easily the worst decision they've ever made in this game to me.

You want a rare spawn? Go ahead. Try.

You thought camping something like Loque'nahak was hard?

Try camping against 20 others who are going after the same pet. Only, when they actually get said pet, most of them will be deleted because they aren't rare quality, rather than if you just want it for collection purposes... and *SHOCKER* they could have sold it on the AH, so you wouldn't have to camp the people who are camping for competitive rare qualities.
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Myzou wrote:Try camping against 20 others who are going after the same pet. Only, when they actually get said pet, most of them will be deleted because they aren't rare quality, rather than if you just want it for collection purposes... and *SHOCKER* they could have sold it on the AH, so you wouldn't have to camp the people who are camping for competitive rare qualities.
Exactly my thoughts.

Also with the rare pets spawning only at certain weather conditions and times of day, I'd love to be able to buy that one pet that spawns in he middle of the night, and sell that extra morning one I catch, as I'm rather an early bird.

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Sorry I havent played more than 20 minutes of BETA, what is wild pet taming?

If anyone would be kind enough to indulge my curiosity I would appreciate it.

(Is it just where you can tame and collect any critter?)
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Royi wrote:(Is it just where you can tame and collect any critter?)
Exactly this :) and then use them for battle, pokemon-style!

The added difficulty to taming is that:
1. some critters are rare-spawns, depending on weather/time conditions
2. critters have quality that determines their battle stats (common-uncommon-rare) that you normaly learn oly after you've tamed the pet. You could guess it, though, by checking the critters stats and comparing them to its lvl.

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Myrrmi wrote:
Myzou wrote:Try camping against 20 others who are going after the same pet. Only, when they actually get said pet, most of them will be deleted because they aren't rare quality, rather than if you just want it for collection purposes... and *SHOCKER* they could have sold it on the AH, so you wouldn't have to camp the people who are camping for competitive rare qualities.
Exactly my thoughts.

Also with the rare pets spawning only at certain weather conditions and times of day, I'd love to be able to buy that one pet that spawns in he middle of the night, and sell that extra morning one I catch, as I'm rather an early bird.
People could have been camping anyways though, possibly moreso with the ability to sell pets on the AH. It would be an income source, farmers would be after rares and rare quality pets and camp them over and over and over. I feel like that angle would put a lot of competition and desire for people to spend gold buying the best pets they could, taking away some of the 'just-for-fun' aspects of what this minigame is supposed to be. I personally feel in the end there are more pros than cons for this decision.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Myrrmi wrote:
Exactly my thoughts.

I wonder if a new addon called CRITTERSCAN will come out...
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

let me say I would not surprised when it appears
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Myrrmi »

If the battlepets have NPC ids (and they have to... I think) NPCscan should be enough. It works for camel figurines ater all...

winny
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by winny »

I dont think we will see less camping, maybe a little, but in the end we all want the blue rare ones.
So we will sit there wating till the rain falls down with 20 others, and when the wild pet finally appears, everyone will battle them and none is left.
It doesnt matter if you can put them on AH, the ones that will sell for big money are the high lvls.
And before you get a high lvl it will cost ya a big amount of time, so in the end maybe you dont want to sell them at all.
I think they should make them at least tradeable to other players, i dont have the time to sit and wait all night for that one pet,
If they make them BoP I cant get my list complete, becasue I have work.....the only ones who can complete there list are the people who dont have jobs or the ones that are able to stay up very late and dont become zombies the next morning :P

So make the pets lvl 1 if you want to trade to others.
or make them so that you can trade a lvl 25 to players who have finished the "get a pet to lvl 25"achievement, its not that hard for blizzard to figure that out.

And yes I also liked the idea of trading them on AH to buy the new mounts from it.....a pitty

* btw : its a lot of fun to get on a pet hunt with a friend and trade pets afterwards^^

* edit - typo^^