Predators And Prey

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Predators And Prey

Unread post by Kurasu »

So, two questions, completely related to one another.

First off, I know that PVP is enabled on a player. If that player is after a critter, does the critter 'phase out' or despawn as well? Or is it possible to kill *them*? I'm assuming the first. Because otherwise, griefing would be even more horrid, since critters are a one shot kill.

Secondly: if a critter is killed, does the respawn in that same place *also* have the 'tameability'? I'm assuming not (unless it's a 100% capturable spawn) but curiosity makes me wonder.

"So what does this have to do with 'predators and prey'?" I hear you asking.

As I was exploring the world on beta, making a personal list of 'where I found tameable pets', I happened to find a squirrel.

.... only to watch in horror as a wolf ambushed and ate it. Q.Q

So now all I can think of is sitting down to start battling a wild critter, only to have a predator eat it on me!
Come see Kurasu's stables!
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Predators And Prey

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I always kill all the hostile npcs nearby before I start a battle :)
Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

While on my druid I was in Duratar looking for a creepy crawly. Since there is that stupid bug that makes you flag in certain zones I landed down a ways from any horde in sight. A rogue thought it would be fun to kill the pet that I was engaged with. After that it took me out of the battle where I ran around with my healing gear till I was out of combat and shifted to bird to fly away.

So yes, not sure if they can still, but awhile back they could.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I've been watching the predator populations, and I'm fairly sure that it's all safe: battle-flagged pets are not (or I've never seen them get) targeted as 'prey' by the various predator species. So while playes might grief, you don't need to worry about a wolf running up and eating that mouse you were trying to battle.
Come see Kurasu's stables!