Multiple Spawn Colors

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Multiple Spawn Colors

Unread post by Kurasu »

God, Kura. Now that you're on the PTR, you sure do spam boards!

Anyhow! I need a 'beta' person who is able to tame stuff to check this for me: I know you can tame multiples of a specific critter. But for the color-different ones, do the colors stay stable if you tame them?

For example, the 'Parrot' mob spawns in several colors. If you capture both a white and a blue one (as examples) do you have a white and a blue you can call?

Also: does the color of the mob in your 'pet' bar change? Right now, my untamed 'Parrot' icon is a blue parrot. If I were to tame a white one, would it change to white, or just keep showing blue?
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Re: Multiple Spawn Colors

Unread post by Neilaren »

I actually already tested this without trying! Ha... Well, way more testing is welcome, since I didn't really desummon/resummon them, but...
I had captured a Spiny Lizard in Orgrimmar, red in color, just to catch one. And then I noticed a purple one in a different spot -- matches my Anima, so I captured that, too.
Now I have two spiny lizzards in my pet journal, and as far as I can tell, their colors have stayed stable for each. (Red and purple, respectively)

I'd have to log on for checking the icons... they might just be a set color, though.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

If you click on the pet to show it in the info panel, the picture there shows you the color of the tamed pet.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

I have 3 Small Frogs. All of them have stayed the same color. (One's rare, one's uncommon, one's poor [I like the coloration of that one. ;])

However, keep in mind, some of the mobs will change their skin color AFTER you tame them.

There's a parrot in like Thousand Needles or somewhere around there that uses the Hyacinth Macaw skin, but once you catch it, it goes to the default Red parrot skin.
swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormreaver

Unread post by swimgremlin »

I hope there's multie colored mini rhinos. Haven't really looked, but only saw the blue ones. Hope there's the white one to match my pet/mount
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

All of the 'new critters' only come in one color. The 'old critters' have a number of different-colored spawns, but the rhinos, for instance, only come in the blue.

Actually, I was wondering to myself whether this might be the reason for hunter pets to finally get looked at for 'one color phase after taming': they were replicating the tricks they used to make sure you can only capture specific colors of NPC for pet battles.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

BTW, I posted this on the main beta board some time ago, but it might be useful to post it here too. If you want to check out the NPC id of any creature the macro is now:

/run print("Target NPC ID:", tonumber((UnitGUID("target")):sub(-13, -9), 16))

Add a button for it and it's easy!

So if you're checking critters with multiple colours you can use that macro to check whether they really are all the same id. or whether different colours have different ids.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.