Hunter changes on the PTR

For discussion of the upcoming 5.1 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Hunter changes on the PTR

Unread post by Kalliope »

Neilaren wrote:
Kalliope wrote:
Neilaren wrote:Oh, wait, so the Lynx Rush bleed was an addition and not a change? Weird...
Here I was wondering just what was going on there. If they need to modify burst, there's a spell to modify for that and its name sure ain't Lynx Rush! :lol:
*coughstampede*
Stampede's already been hotfixed. ;)
All I saw for hotfix lately was the part about healing... I didn't actually see the initial 5.1 notes though so I may have missed something.
Ahh, you're right, the hotfix was for healing. The damage reduction is the change to rabid, listed above.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I'm hoping the bleed for Lynx Rush is in addition to the damage and not replacing it. It's currently great for multiple targets but trails Murder of Crows on single targets. Adding the bleed should bring it up to par on the single target. I love the talent and don't want it nerfed. I play BM and use Lynx Rush and Glaive toss to increase my AOE damage on adds and trash mobs.
Shadow
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'jaeden-A (US)

Unread post by Shadow »

As it reads right now, it looks as though it's a replacement on the Lynx Rush thing, and not in addition to.

Always be kind to your pets... or else.
When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning
And the future has passed without even a last desperate warning

Blog

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

I don't agree. It doesn't say instead of the damage so to me it looks like an addition.
Shadow
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'jaeden-A (US)

Unread post by Shadow »

Usually when they do this:

It means a replacement. Not like I'm a data miner, I've just been reading MMO-Champ a long time xD So who knows. I'd like it if you were right, though :3
Attachments
LR.png
LR.png (52.13 KiB) Viewed 12068 times

Always be kind to your pets... or else.
When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning
And the future has passed without even a last desperate warning

Blog

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Okay, I just read the line and didn't see any tooltips. From the tooltips, it looks like a replacement which makes me very sad. That looks like a massive nerf to the talent (unless it scales) and may make me switch to crows.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

*happyflailhappyflail*

Cobra Shot while moving!

As for Lynx Rush, I love my spazzy pets but if this change makes it sub-par I'll simply switch until it isn't. It would have to cause a significant loss though, as Murder of Crows is too focus-hungry for my taste when I sometimes have to pass on Glaive Toss to ensure Kill Command on cooldown as it is.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

If Lynx Rush becomes kind of a meh, I'll go back to Blink Strike... the downside for it is just another GCD (like with Glaive Toss) but yeah, Murder of Crows is just way too focus-high for my taste.
Magli
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moonrunner

Unread post by Magli »

How much damage does a single Lynx Rush do right now on live? I've been using Murder so I have no idea how the 'new' Rush compares.

Thanks to Kurenio for the signature!

It was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was no sense in what he said.

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

In live it does a total of 140-150k as measured on the lvl 90 target dummy. Of course that depends on your crit and mastery rates. Crows does more on a single target but is not as useful in multiple target situations.

Now they have changed Bestial Wrath to only break crowd control effects on the pet that are already existing. This means that they can now be CC'd while in Wrath.

As expected, Fox aspect has been removed. I never used it anyway.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

Daxxarri wrote:I probably shouldn't reply to a thread like this since the original post isn't long on constructive feedback or reasoned analysis, but I feel compelled to point out that there are significant Hunter changes in there too. The Lynx Rush change shifts an ability that currently provides burst to one more suited to sustained damage, and the Bestial Wrath change will have a ripple effect on how the spec is played overall.

I also want to point out that this is just the latest round of changes on the PTR. They aren't final, and things could be added, removed or changed before 5.1 goes live.
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2408 ... -still-op/
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Tumblr!

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Yeah I'm pretty sure the BM's are all going to be switching off Lynx Rush now... (( BTW, why call it Lynx Rush if it's a DOT bleed? If nothing else the name is retarded now. "Ill rush you like a cat and.... slowly kill you over time as you bleed to death... wait..."))

I've been using Lynx rush since Beta, knowing that it topped out just a bit in DPS.. Looks like I'll get to try Crows for a while now.

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

They're intending for it to be the same damage, just over time instead of insane burst. BM had way too much burst, and it was showing in PvP. Net result should be the same dps.
Acherontia wrote:

Tumblr!

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Net result is same damage only if your mob lives long enough to take all the damage. Otherwise it's wasted.

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

So the difference is diddly squat on bosses, and the only trash I can see it mattering on would be Challenge Mode (which will probably live long enough to take all the damage).

In PvP, you simply won't be able to obliterate an opponent in three seconds with one macro, is all.

Note: This is if they get the tuning right and the net result is the same damage. We shall see...
Acherontia wrote:

Tumblr!

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Thing is, some of us are PVE players. Most of the people I know don't run Hunters for PVP, and even then they've changed abilitys for PVP and PVE. So it's not some "oh they were killing in PVP" it's just a net change.

So if you have an ability called "Lynx RUSH" and it's burst damage. That's no surprise. You use it for burst, you get all the damage at once. The target dies or you let out other skills to finish it off.

It's now a bleed. No rush at all. So you apply your bleed and you don't stop shooting to see if thats' all you need to do. You keep blasting.

The only time it turns out to be the 'same damage' is as pointed out, if you have a prolonged boss fight.

Other wise you apply your bleed and chances are you kill the creature before the bleed is done. If you don't, you re-apply. So when the creature dies, unless it dies at the exact time your bleed ticks are done, you're 'wasting' damage'.

If you apply the bleed and it has 5 ticks over 15 seconds, and the creature dies at 5 seconds or 10 seconds you've got the 10 or 5 seconds of damage that are just tossed down the drain.

So your DOT only produces the "Same damage" if your fight lasts exactly as long as the DOT. Other wise you're wasting damage by applying it and having "Left overs".

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

My point was that a fight that short in PvE generally isn't something to worry about.

(Also, I'm almost exclusively PvE. On the rare times I PvP, I'm one of those yahoos you see with no PvP gear.)
Acherontia wrote:

Tumblr!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Ziarre wrote:My point was that a fight that short in PvE generally isn't something to worry about.

(Also, I'm almost exclusively PvE. On the rare times I PvP, I'm one of those yahoos you see with no PvP gear.)

But then there are many situations in PVE that do generally need it, like the Orbs on Elegon for example. I use Lynx rush on my 5th spawned orb. And to be frank, without it in it's current state I don't think I would reliably be able to get it down consistently which has me a little worried.

I recall someone stating that it's now just a glorified mini MOC dot. Those two talents are kinda little too similar now imo.

And as other has stated, they should really change it's name to to Lynx kitty scratch or something, it's not all that "Rushy" anymore ;)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I'm going to have to be one of those people that reconsiders their selections of abilities here. I *did* use it for burst damage, and it was amazing for it in boss fights where there was something that needed to be blown down fast. Also in those PvE 'oops' pulls where you have to get something down fast so your pet can survive. I see their concern in PvP. Just wish it didn't have to come into PvE as well.

I'm not going to rail and cry over the change, but I *am* going to be very sad about it. :(
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Kurasu wrote:I'm going to have to be one of those people that reconsiders their selections of abilities here. I *did* use it for burst damage, and it was amazing for it in boss fights where there was something that needed to be blown down fast. Also in those PvE 'oops' pulls where you have to get something down fast so your pet can survive. I see their concern in PvP. Just wish it didn't have to come into PvE as well.

I'm not going to rail and cry over the change, but I *am* going to be very sad about it. :(
Completely in agreement here. I can't stand how PvP must affect PvE and I do hope they eventually do something to change that, although I'm not holding my breath.