New Gryphon and Wyvern Models!

For discussion of the upcoming 5.1 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Edanna
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bored of all gaming, what else is new XD

Re: New Gryphon and Wyvern Models!

Unread post by Edanna »

Man that is so weird it's freaking me out now!

Just about 2 days ago I was like they need to redo the model for gryphons and wyverns because they just look so old and ugly and omg their updating them!

And it's not the first time this has happened to me either it happened within 1 day of another thing as well I don't remember what it was but it was hell creepy the way it happened.
Seilahyn
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: US - Skywall/Cenarius Alliance - Nesingwary Horde

Unread post by Seilahyn »

The gryphons still have a goofy face, and those wings. They're HYUUUUGE. They have two layer as well it seems. I love gryphons, but WoW ones are just kind of silly looking.

The wyverns... do want. I don't play Horde though. I really wish I could enslave one to ride around with my Alliance characters. I'm a good owner, he wouldn't mind! ; ;
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

The secondaries bug me a bit on the gryphon wings with the odd double-layering, but overall both are a welcome and much-needed update. The old gryphon wings look remarkably like colored cardboard when folded!
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

ionicOneirologist
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by ionicOneirologist »

Iiiinteresting. It is indeed about time they fixed up the wyvern model, at least!

Gotta say I personally prefer the old style gryphons so far - sure the old wings look awkward folded, but I can't get enough of watching them in flight. The giant floppy-splitty things on the new model are... just a liiiiiiiiiiittle wonky looking there.

Mixed feelings about the new wyvern regardless of the undeniable improvement in quality... I love the wings and tail, and holy crap they can close their mouths now!!! But... okay the horns are cool looking and all but it kinda bothers me that this long-established species has randomly sprouted horns it never had before. Just what ARE the goblins dumping into Orgrimmar's water supply, anyway? Also walrus tusks are not cool, sigh. Just when I thought WoW's model style was getting away from EVERYTHING HAS SABER TEETH EVER!!1!! syndrome. XD;

Mostly I'm just happy the wvyerns seem to have the same animations/skeleton they did before. I'm a rare dork who still actually rides wyverns, because I absolutely LOVE the way they animate when you run them off ledges and they leap into flight. Seriously, I've spent ages in Zangarmarsh doing nothing but continually running my wyvern off the edges of mushrooms just to watch it take off. Dragons look lame in comparison!
Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

Managing a quick look on the PTR, my gryphons are still the old model. The Windsteed is the new model albeit in white as well.
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

At first I was all YAY on the new gryphon model (I'm a crazy gryphon lady), but after seeing the animation on MMOC I began to have doubts. Something doesn't seem right about its wings... I'd have to see it on live before deciding is it going to be the mount to replace my beloved swift red gryphon on my shortcut bar.

As for wyverns - effing AMAZING! Finally they don't desperately need the helmets to cover those abbominations of their faces. And that moment, when they leap up to fly and have those huge vivid wings appear from imps know where... it seriously made me /gasp.

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

I'm the odd one out.. Like the alliance and cringe at the horde. I like the horns on the wyvern but... lookit its front feet, those long claws. Whats it going for a title in Azeroth's Book of Records as the wyvern with the longest claws/most awkward paws? Yuck.

Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

Blarg, those wings on that poor gryphon. I'd enjoy the model far more if it weren't for those. T_T Look at how angularly they fold up! Okay, so it's a problem with a lot of winged models, but it is far, far more noticeable on that poor bird. And then, in flight, they look so flat! And I cannot help but agree with the point about those weird set of secondaries, they look very awkward and un-aerodynamic.
One thing I must note on is just how scruffy this new gryphon looks, what with feathers sticking out at all ends. I don't mind this too much on the unarmoured model, as one could take it for a wild gryphon. But on the armoured? I've always envisioned gryphons to be proud creatures, especially those groomed by the alliance to serve as mounts. A well-groomed gryphon not only looks like a proud and noble creature (that fits well with the whole alliance motif), but is also more aerodynamic and, thus, a better creature for battle. This scruffy-armoured-gryphon, while better textured than it's older models, doesn't have that same poise or appearance that suits them oh so well.
Also, what's with the stray three feathers above the front talons on the unarmoured model?
Of course, these are first impressions. My view might change once I get the chance to see them move around myself. We'll have to see.

Right, rant over, sorry.

The new Wyverns are very nice indeed, I like them alot
... Okay, so it's not at all hard for them to be an improvement over the old models (which I'm kinda fond of admittedly <_< ) but I really like the new look they've been given. I do have a few issues, but unlike the gryphon, I nitpick because I love, rather than because I'm disappointed.
The back paws seem a bit wonky in flight in the MMO-C video, like they're twisting around with each flap. Also, when did wyverns develop horns? Never seen them with any before... although... I can't help but notice their green eyes... fel-touched wyvern perhaps? *tinfoil hat*

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

No matter what they do Blizzard still has issues with back legs. The Wyvern are too thin, the Gryphon has lumps attached to its ankles and neither stretch/squash like they should. Also Troll Druid Cat Form back legs are still broken (among other things, gravity deifying hair), I don't expect them to fix that till they update the forms again. :mrgreen:

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

I like the new gryphons. The wyverns...eh. The body and wings are great, but I'm just not a big fan of the Illidan-esque horns on them.
Seilahyn
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: US - Skywall/Cenarius Alliance - Nesingwary Horde

Unread post by Seilahyn »

My first thought when I saw the side view of the new horns on the wyvern was, "Loki?"

They may not be as smooth and rounded, but they do come close.
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Seilahyn wrote:My first thought when I saw the side view of the new horns on the wyvern was, "Loki?"

They may not be as smooth and rounded, but they do come close.
That's what I thought too! Blizzard seem to like doing rounded horns on things now. One of the new warlock sets, goats, now the wyvern...

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Mozag wrote:The wyvern would have been awesome, but...those horns? Really...why? But I do love their wings.

of course horns!!
the horns are subtle! those are low-key Wyverns

:headbang:

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

horns are overdone on the wyvern, they kinda puts me off actually. but it otherwise looks nice
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Loki's wyvern
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands (H) & Kirin Tor (A)

Unread post by Kalhoun »

I like the horns on the wyverns, and I think of the two new models, I like the new wyverns more. I don't like the strange separation between the feathers on the gryphon's wings. I may not get a gryphon because of that, but I'll definitely grab a wyvern if I can.
Corax

Unread post by Corax »

I'm one of the few who actually like the old wyvern model -- well, not the mouth, but I don't see that when I'm riding one. The new model is pretty good too, but I'm not a fan of the huge horns and tusks. My theory is that they've been bred to have huge horns so the rider has something to hold onto while the wyvern is banking.

The armored one is missing a horn sheath, which gives it a one-sock-on-and-one-sock-off look. I haven't decided if I like that yet.
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

Gryphon: i LOVE the lenght of the wings but not how it gets narrow the closer it gets to the body, also the end of the wings bend a bit to much for my taste. Gryphons in wow never folded their wings nicely so that doesnt bother me.
Still looks great though.

Wyvern: As a alliance player i never got to truly love one of these. I do like this one though. The grand horns is a nice touch but not sure how i like the...beard? the jaw seem so narrow to me. The wings are lovely but how the hind paws tilt when flying bothers me. But again. Still looks good and i wouldnt mind owning one of each.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
azurelith
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormrage(alliance)/ Bronzebeard(horde)

Unread post by azurelith »

These models are cool but there is just a few things that bug me about them.

For the wyvern it is the beard, the wings. and the odd patch of dark fur on its butt. The beard just looks too stiff. Maybe if it actually moved when the mouth moves it would look better instead of sticking out at an odd angle or if they made it smaller. The wings are too small for the model. Unlike the old wyverns, these have much less skin on their wings and it seems like they would have a hard time flying(especially with all that armor). It will hopefully be fixed but the back legs bends oddly during flight and there is nothing on the inside of the mouth. You can see all the way through the model by looking through the mouth.
Picture comparing the old and new models wing size and a fix to the beard. Added pupils too.

For the gryphon I love the wings being long but the split is very weird looking. I wish they would remove the few feathers below the split. The eyes.... they need pupils. I was looking at the beak and I think i could live with shape but I think it might be the lower jaw that looks weird. The darker color will take some getting used too.
Picture of a fix to the wings and face and adding pupil.

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

azurelith wrote:These models are cool but there is just a few things that bug me about them.

For the wyvern it is ... the odd patch of dark fur on its butt.

sadly, it is a reality of having horns that size... personal hygiene becomes an issue for the poor beasts.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.