Dire Horns?

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Re: Dire Horns?

Unread post by Gimlion »

From what Equeon has posted about Tak'u, it sounds like he's some sort of quest, world or raid boss, and that he focuses the powers of the direhorn Loa, much like the trolls in NR sapped and channeled the powers of their Loa.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Leozero wrote:i would think they have a quest chain to learn about these new dinosaurs, and im almost 99% sure they will be bm only, its gonna be a tough call if we can also tame one of the new model devilsaurs
From everything I've seen, I'm 99% sure that they will NOT be BM only.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Luckily though with all the pet additions for 5.1, many usable for every spec (and since there aren't any MM or SV specific pets), I imagine we can't claim unfair for this expansion. Looking back, there are some patches that didn't really bring much anything in the pet department. Seems this cycle has been one of the best for hunter pets weve ever had (4.2 was pretty rad too).
Leozero
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Leozero »

fair? of course it is theyre not forcing you to be mm or surv, and to be honest if you roll one of those it means you care more about your weapon and dps than your companion again im preety sure they will add more pets not just those two, and i remind you 5.1 had plenty non bm pets
The Insect Man
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by The Insect Man »

One wonders whether the vanilla thunder lizards/stegodons might be included in the Dire Horn family, once the taming thereof has been earned.
Meggers
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Have they even said anything about why its still unpopulated? I mean wtf are people supposed to test if they can't even get over there or see anything spawning. XD
ImageImage
Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

The unpopulated-ness is because you're supposed to go over there via portal and do dailies to start opening the place up... but the portals are in-operational right now. :(
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

It's been a few days, those of you on the PTR are surprisingly silent... what's the deal!?

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:It's been a few days, those of you on the PTR are surprisingly silent... what's the deal!?
If you check out some of the other threads, you'll see that there's simply nothing there on the isle (aside from Oondasta) to report on. Chances are, we'll need another build so we can start unlocking content before there's anything to report here.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

well the data for this build was available for a long time before the PTR went up so i think a new build should appear any day now. build come frequently in the beginning stages of PTR cycles they slow down drastically toward the end of a cycle. so most of the big news will be within the next month and a half at least.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Leozero wrote:fair? of course it is theyre not forcing you to be mm or surv, and to be honest if you roll one of those it means you care more about your weapon and dps than your companion again im preety sure they will add more pets not just those two, and i remind you 5.1 had plenty non bm pets
We have pointed out that there is evidence that Dire Horns won't be exotic. Just as much, in fact, that you seem to think they will be.

A questchain cannot be tied to a specific spec of a class. It is not possible due to the way the game is coded currently.

They would not give Survival and Marksman Hunters a quest to tame them only to reveal at the very end "Well, you're screwed. BM Only."

This is assuming it's a quest to tame them. If it's simply a matter of having the Exotic Skill and tracking the Direhorns, then you're right.

However, we do not know which is the case, and as such, there is a 50/50 chance of them being exotic. However, my money is on non-exotic for multiple reasons. The potential questline, 1. The fact they wouldn't give one spec of hunters the only HD skinned pet in the game, 2. The fact there were already 2 exotic pets added this expansion, 3. The fact they seem to be going a little more back to "play how you want," 4.

And would you please stop with the non-BM hate? I play Survival because I like survival. It's not because I care more about my DPS than the pet I use. A LOT of people on petopia use the pets they use specifically because of how they look, give them names, and treat them as actual pets. For you to tell anyone non-BM that they care more about their DPS/weapon than their pets is spitting in the face of all of those people. And on top of this, currently, Beast Mastery is the top single-target DPS. If anything, you're being kinda hypocritical.
Melissa
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring EU

Unread post by Melissa »

Equeon wrote:This looks like a job for... Detective Equeon!
^removed most of the post to avoid filling up the page too much

Found out where some of these abilities are from

There's a Guardian Tak'u quest mob on the Isle of the Thunder King, surrounded by 4 priests, each giving him a buff; Blessing of the Direhorn, Blessing of the Serpent, Blessing of the Hydra and Blessing of the Hawk.

"Kroshik is near" is a debuff you get when near the new Devilsaur.
I'll now attack these Priests. FOR SCIENCE!

EDIT: Seems every buff grants him an ability. Once you attack either priest, he starts gaining energy. When his energy reaches 100%, he kills all the priests and attacks you, leaving up the buff of any priest you didn't kill. Don't have a screenshot of the fight atm; he was murdering me :(
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_010513_172641.jpg
WoWScrnShot_010513_172641.jpg (310.29 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
WoWScrnShot_010513_174812.jpg
WoWScrnShot_010513_174812.jpg (301.83 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
I have a Tumblr!
I no longer main my Hunter; Legion changes have unfortunately put me off from the class. However I still plan to stick around for the community here ^^
My Current Main! (Updated once more as I switched factions!)
Melissa
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Melissa »

I have a Tumblr!
I no longer main my Hunter; Legion changes have unfortunately put me off from the class. However I still plan to stick around for the community here ^^
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

Not that I'm hating on non-BMs, but where does the logic stand that Devilsaurs are exotic, but somehow a Triceratops is like your any day normal creature you see roaming around commonly?

I guess the whole grind to get to tame them fills that gap, but still feels like an excuse to give something like that to Non-BMs.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Melissa
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Melissa »

Got a screenshot of the Armor Plating ability when used
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_010513_183027.jpg
WoWScrnShot_010513_183027.jpg (296.05 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
I have a Tumblr!
Kalliope

.....I should not sleep again ever. Now I won't be able to check out the Dire Horns until later. D:

Thanks for the heads up, Melissa!

Raptors aren't exotic either, Porrasoux; there was precedent either way.

YouTube Edition

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

Melissa wrote:Got a screenshot of the Armor Plating ability when used
Would be fitting to be able to use that for a certain raid fight coming up.

"EVERYONE, GET BEHIND THE TRICERATOPS"

Edit: I know Kal, I'm just confused as far as what Blizzard decides what is exotic or not anymore. Most exotics are large and intimidating, or unique. I'd better stop before I give myself a headache.
Last edited by PorrasouxRex on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Melissa
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Melissa »

Found these two guys, both marked as quest mobs...

When you kill the Troll, the red direhorn turns friendly and changes into the skin I've tamed (which atm seems to be the only skin tameable) then walks away... Might be a sign that there will indeed be a quest for them?
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_010513_183651.jpg
WoWScrnShot_010513_183651.jpg (358.82 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
I have a Tumblr!
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

PorrasouxRex wrote:
Melissa wrote:Got a screenshot of the Armor Plating ability when used
Would be fitting to be able to use that for a certain raid fight coming up.

"EVERYONE, GET BEHIND THE TRICERATOPS"

Edit: I know Kal, I'm just confused as far as what Blizzard decides what is exotic or not anymore. Most exotics are large and intimidating, or unique. I'd better stop before I give myself a headache.
I always saw exotic pets as the pets that show some sort of sentience. The only ones that doesn't qualify to this is worms. However, as Jormys are in this family, and do show SOME sentience in the Northrend questing, it goes to reason this was why.

Devilsaurs may just be more intelligent than Dire Horns. I always viewed Exotic Pets as pets that required more dedication to bonding with, and a deeper emotional connection.

Plus, Direhorns are most likely weakened from all the troll voodoo, and were probably recently revived with the Thunder King's resurrection, so it goes to reason their mind wouldn't be as strong as they were.
Kalliope

PorrasouxRex wrote:Edit: I know Kal, I'm just confused as far as what Blizzard decides what is exotic or not anymore. Most exotics are large and intimidating, or unique. I'd better stop before I give myself a headache.
Yeah, I wouldn't think too hard on it for just that reason. >_< I think ultimately, what it comes down to, is that NO ONE can challenge devilsaurs in terms of size or strength.

@Myzou: Exotic != intelligent. RAPTORS CAN OPEN DOORS, OKAY? ;)

YouTube Edition