Dire Horns?

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Re: Dire Horns?

Unread post by Maizou »

They like to give useful abilities that are one-class specific to hunters, to help even the variety of classes that can bring it to a raid.

With the trolls and thunder being a big part of the raid, they may have deemed Mass Spell Reflect necessary to be given to more than warriors (even though it's a talent, though to keep it unique, left the reflect part to warriors only, and made direhorns deflect).

So to me, it sounds as though this IS like the mastery/spell hit/etc. buffs. Only instead of the buffs/debuffs, it's meant as a utility skill specified for the Thunder King raid.

And if it IS indeed obtained through a quest to learn to tame/track them, who's to say it won't have two abilities? They seem to like the "Working towards something is meant to give better rewards" system lately. Who's to say that doing an epic questline to obtain the pet wouldn't amount to them gaining an extra skill?

Heck, sporebats have two skills, and aren't exotic. Most likely because neither skill helps the hunter directly. The same can be said for the Direhorn Deflect. Hunters can already do that with Deterrence.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Akyo wrote:tallbuk and Stag also got horns! not on the nose but,,,it haz hornz!
Oh and so does the zhewra?....name. the zebra thing!
But those horns aren't dire enough, pssh.
Loki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Loki »

Myzou wrote:They like to give useful abilities that are one-class specific to hunters, to help even the variety of classes that can bring it to a raid.

With the trolls and thunder being a big part of the raid, they may have deemed Mass Spell Reflect necessary to be given to more than warriors (even though it's a talent, though to keep it unique, left the reflect part to warriors only, and made direhorns deflect).

So to me, it sounds as though this IS like the mastery/spell hit/etc. buffs. Only instead of the buffs/debuffs, it's meant as a utility skill specified for the Thunder King raid.

And if it IS indeed obtained through a quest to learn to tame/track them, who's to say it won't have two abilities? They seem to like the "Working towards something is meant to give better rewards" system lately. Who's to say that doing an epic questline to obtain the pet wouldn't amount to them gaining an extra skill?

Heck, sporebats have two skills, and aren't exotic. Most likely because neither skill helps the hunter directly. The same can be said for the Direhorn Deflect. Hunters can already do that with Deterrence.
I'm still waiting for my Dash pet and my Deathgrip pet.

Avatar made by the awesome LupisDarkmoon. Tameable giraffes please!

Pets Wishlist:
Goats
Yaks
Shoveltusks
Stags
Talbuks/Gazelles
Giraffes!

WoD and Legion best expansions! 6 down, 1 to go!

Gelannerai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Baelgun

Unread post by Gelannerai »

Loki wrote:
Myzou wrote:They like to give useful abilities that are one-class specific to hunters, to help even the variety of classes that can bring it to a raid.

Symbiosis pet. :D
swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormreaver

Unread post by swimgremlin »

Gelannerai wrote:
Loki wrote:

Come on guys lets be reasonable now! Clearly before any of that happens they're gonna give us a tranquility pet! GAWD!

>_>

<_<

*flees*
Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Zhinru »

Gelannerai wrote:Symbiosis pet. :D
So a pet that grants you Dash? :P

I mean, sure, if Symbiosis was any good for a hunter, then such a pet would be completely OP and almost an obligatory choice, but as it stands now, it would be pretty useless, mechanics-wise.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

terrible mspaint job is terrible
Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

Quivering wrote:Image

Awwww!

Please and Thank You!
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

That's simply precious, Quiv! :lol:

(I think this is the next "sad eyes" meme, haha!)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Zaizo
Realm: Turalyon

Unread post by Zaizo »

Gelannerai wrote:
Loki wrote:

We can just tame druids :3
Fraxinus
Realm: Earthen Ring

Unread post by Fraxinus »

Looking at the datamined npc abilities, I found one stating that the Direhorns are Loa spirits. Perhaps there will be a quest involved that allows our hunter to summon one, rather than being exotic pets.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

That's nothing compared to THESE shop skills! :lol:

Fraxinus wrote:Looking at the datamined npc abilities, I found one stating that the Direhorns are Loa spirits. Perhaps there will be a quest involved that allows our hunter to summon one, rather than being exotic pets.
Source? Which ability says this?
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Equeon wrote:

That's nothing compared to THESE shop skills! :lol:

Fraxinus wrote:Looking at the datamined npc abilities, I found one stating that the Direhorns are Loa spirits. Perhaps there will be a quest involved that allows our hunter to summon one, rather than being exotic pets.
Source? Which ability says this?

I'd like to know that too!

Also, maybe a bit irrelevant but because it was about pet abilities, Sand Reavers could give us that much needed Death Grip if anything. I really don't want to imagine how cool it would be if there was a C'thun return and silithid models got overhauled. (Dah-dream mode)

Back on-topic, of course I do believe Dire Horns are the Triceratops, I just want people to be cautious because I know how it feels to get your hopes up and then finding out things aren't like that. No accusation towards Blizzy-boys, but it does feel nhggh!
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I like the concept of us contacting the Loas for permission; would be a nice response to some of the feedback on Loque.

However, I did a quick search on the NPC abilities for Loa abilities and the ones I saw look like boss abilities. So a link/further explanation would be really helpful! :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Wrath of the Direhorn
Tak'u calls upon the Direhorn Loa which causes the earth to tremble and break.
That's pretty much right there! :shock:
ImageImage
Melissa
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring EU

Unread post by Melissa »

Loki wrote:

My boyfriend plays a priest... I'm still waiting for a Leap of Faith pet to have some revenge for all the times he nearly killed me with that spell T_T
I have a Tumblr!
I no longer main my Hunter; Legion changes have unfortunately put me off from the class. However I still plan to stick around for the community here ^^
My Current Main! (Updated once more as I switched factions!)
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

Honestly, there's a reason I told people not to jump to conclusions about them being exotic. That ability sounds like we have to do a quest to get a NPC to summon the Direhorn. >_>

And as they cannot flag a quest to only show up for a specific spec at this time with the current game coding, it has to be for all Hunters. They wouldn't do a questline for hunters to get a new pet, then in the last one, reveal you can't tame it without beast mastery.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

This looks like a job for... Detective Equeon!

*dons Sherlock hat and pipe

Okay, some quick searches for "Tak'u" reveal several random spells. Looks like this guy will have the power of the elements, so I'm guessing he's some kind of shaman.
This talk of "removing buffs" sounds like he might be an enemy NPC, which we will have to defeat by eliminating his separate powers. This is hardly the first time an NPC has been defeated in such a way.

Now, while the spell that Tak'u actually uses states that he summons the dire horn, but the ability of the same name does damage.
More evidence that this whole dire horn ordeal will come from a specific event. Definitely not a scenario, most likely a quest.
Ah, but what's this? More shamanistic abilities that look like they're used by a hostile boss-type enemy!
Sounds like this Tak'u is a troll, and he summons various loa spirits to his aid while you're fighting him.

Now, I'm sure you're saying "This is all fine and interesting, but get back to the dire horns!" I will, I will. Calm down.
Summon Direhorn. A separate, but possibly related, spell to the whole event with this Tak'u figure.
Charge... definitely an ability used by a direhorn. Could this be an alternative tamed ability, or is it just an NPC's spell? Only time will tell.
Interesting. Note the wording of "in front of you." Tooltips aren't always 100% accurate sources of information, but the way it's written sounds like this is an ability gained when controlling a Dire Horn.

A little more digging and we get...
"Use this fetish on a raptor, compy?! or direhorn to attempt to assert your control over it."
Now, you may be asking: COMPY?! As in, Compsognathus, chicken-sized, meat eating little buggers, they swarmed a guy in one of the Jurassic Park movies? Yes, indeed. Since the word "raptor" is already stated, perhaps these dinosaurs may even use a separate model, that's to be added in the future! Or... they could be scaled down spiky raptors. Either way, very interesting! The "Beast Pens" sounds like a holding area for various dinosaurs, most likely utilized by the saurok or trolls.
So this "Saur Fetish" will attempt to bind the spirit of a dinosaur kept in those pens.

So you're running about stabbing devilsaurs?
My current hunch is that many of these things are involved with some sort of quest to infiltrate a troll keep or outpost, causing chaos while you possess and kill their dinosaurs. Which leads me to...
The devilsaur icon hints that Kroshik is a terrifying devilsaur. The buff might be a warning to you while you're conducting this potential sabotage. I remember, questing in Outland (among other places), that while you're killing the punks in various forge camps there's always some massive elite stalking about that you have to avoid.
I'm a little stumped about this one. Maybe you have to let a saurok get devoured by the devilsaur, or this could all be part of a scripted event.
I could be going too far, but all these spells together gives me the mental image of stalking though a huge enclosure full of various dinosaurs, attempting to bind their spirits, and occasionally getting attacked by the beasts.
Possibly another "controlled" ability. Maybe, this is the ability used by the raptors when they are controlled by the fetish, while Unstoppable Direhorn is the one for the dire horns, and Compy Venom is the one you get when you possess a compy!

And also...
I'm not sure how this relates to the other abilities, but it certainly conjures up sequences of dinosaur documentary-esque showdowns between a triceratops and a tyrannosaur.

And that's all for now... I may continue my investigation tomorrow. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Equeon on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

I have to wonder... will they be introducing a Devilsaur model that you choose between in that questline?

Like, you complete it, and you get to choose between summoning and taming a Devilsaur or a Direhorn? Or you summon both, but you have to kill one to tame the other, etc. That's what Kill Credit: sounds like. Here's hoping if this is the case, it's the black devilsaur. I will be a sad panda if it's the pink one. xD

And the Raptor quest sounds like someone's having you practice asserting control over beasts.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Shinryu Masaki wrote:Wrath of the Direhorn
Tak'u calls upon the Direhorn Loa which causes the earth to tremble and break.
That's pretty much right there! :shock:
To me that suggests that there is a "Direhorn Loa", which is much like saying there's a Tiger Spirit. I don't think that it means all direhorns are loa, just that there is a Loa in direhorn form.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.