Amber Parasites and Gorishi Grubs - Not Tameable on the PTR

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Re: Amber Parasites and Gorishi Grubs - Not Tameable on the

Unread post by Boven »

Dang. That means I'm definitely keeping Tape. Making room for a direhorn in 5.2 just got a little harder.
HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Unread post by HunterFTW »

good thing i got some of my hunter friends in time to get one.unfortuitly i didn't get all of them cause some passed on it even though i said that it MIGHT be like the hydra and ooz pets.and then there is that 1 hunter that put me on ignore when i was camping for the green grub to come join me if he wants one.some people just don't listen....awell there lose.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

First I tamed an amber parasite, Melange. Then I found out about the gorishi grub, so tamed Saguaro instead. Then the parasites became untameable, so back to Melange, then both, so back to Saguaro! :)

Really, as long as they scale them down to a proper tameable size, I don't see why other larvae shouldn't be part of the worm family now that we have silkworms.
ToxicCreed
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bloodscalp

Unread post by ToxicCreed »

I agree, they are a rather nice size overall now (Although I missed my being MASSIVE haha) and well like it's been mentioned we do have the Silkworms but if I'm correct there was certain things about them that made them tameable. I wouldn't see it a problem to have these guys as tames, or at the very least the Maggots/Larvae skins themselves. Doesn't have to be spawned from anything or the like, just make previous skins open to taming maybe.

But alas, I doubt Blizzard will do that :( Thankfully I still have Magahet and Ekon XD
Valamar
Realm: Madoran

Unread post by Valamar »

im gonna miss the giant size :(

though i will agree to everybody else it was probably annoying, i've see hunters park that pet on doodads, quest givers, vendor etcs

one time in pvp, i feigned off a BE hunter, and when she targeted my worm and i stayed inside of his hitbox, it took her 15 secs to finally target me! XD

then she was eaten.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Finally got the micro-vid followup together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUfGTgUXCI4

So many changes, hard to keep up!

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Re: Amber Parasites - Not Tameable on the PTR

Unread post by Teigan »

Myzou wrote:Yea, just don't get too attached, as was stated in the original thread. There has been past precedent (granted, it was a pet worgen xD) in that they removed the pets from people who tamed em.

Obviously, I don't expect that to happen, but if they deem they don't want hunters to tame something that is technically an undead, then they may very well remove them, or change the model of the tamed ones on us to an actual worm.
Parasites are not undead. There are many kinds of parasite. In fact, there is an entire branch of biology devoted to the study of parasites irl. Its called parasitology. Helminthology is a branch of that that focuses on parasitic worms. Helminth is the general term for a parasitic worm.

There is no indication in game that these parasitic worms are undead. In fact, the quest refers to them as escaped experiments, if I recall correctly. They are quite alive, as are real parasitic worms.

The gorishi grub hatches from an egg from a very not-undead silithid. It is therefore not undead.

Also, maggots, generally, are not parasitic and are never worms. There are some with parasitic behavior, but they remain seperate from helminths, as worms and insects are extremely different invertebrates. They are the larval form of a variety of insect species, irl. Maggots would be insects not helminths.

The amber parasite would be a helminth, since it is called a parasite, and certainly seems to behave as one.
The gorishi grub would be an insect.

Also, you should google helminth images. They're an amazing group of creatures.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Teigan wrote:Also, maggots are never worms. They remain separate from helminths, as worms and insects are extremely different invertebrates. The Gorishi Grub would be an insect.
Shhh! I'm lobbying for larvae/maggots to become tameable "Worms" :) (After all, the silkworms are larvae, too.)
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

However we do have one undead pet, a certain bird of prey from the plaguelands. :-)
Account has been closed at user's request.
HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Unread post by HunterFTW »

wouldn't a spirit beast be some sort of undead to.i mean it is a spirit after all.
ToxicCreed
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bloodscalp

Unread post by ToxicCreed »

We technically have quite a few 'undead pets' if you must call them that. I personally would consider any of the Spectral Pets to be 'undead' or something akin to such, as with the Spirit Beasts but that could be seen in several different ways depending on your views of Spirits, etc.

We have the undead Owls that are tameable in several areas around the maps.

We all have three types of Pigs that I consider to be 'undead'
The Regular Undead Model

The Ghostly Undead Model

And the Armored Ghostly model.

Let's also not forget the several other Ghostly models that we got in patch 5.1 as well. There were a mixture of different pets to get Ghostly models such as the Worgs, Carrion Birds, etc. and I consider most things 'ghostly' to be rather dead to say the least.

While these worms don't act like they are dead, we DO have undead pets as hunters. You just have to know where to look for them :P
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

GormanGhaste wrote:
Teigan wrote:Also, maggots are never worms. They remain separate from helminths, as worms and insects are extremely different invertebrates. The Gorishi Grub would be an insect.
Shhh! I'm lobbying for larvae/maggots to become tameable "Worms" :) (After all, the silkworms are larvae, too.)
Oh, I want them to be "worms" too! And seeing we have silkworms, which are moth larvae, there's no logical reason shouldn't have the gorishi larvae. And the parasitic worms are...worms. I'm hoping the untameability is just them getting ready to release a horde of larvae and maggots on us. (now there's a mental image...) And maybe the stealth tameability was a test to see if we actually wanted that type of worm. The "worm" family could use the variety.
Slickrock

Well, the problem is none of these are actual worms.

The original Nothrend ones look to be something that is mature, and doesn't have an "adult" stage.

The silkworms are obviously the catapillar larval stage of a silk moth.

The various maggot types we have across all of wow would appear to be some sort of parasite, but the physiology doesn't quite match up to anything on earth.. What do they turn into? We've never seen adults yet that I'm aware of.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Slickrock wrote:Well, the problem is none of these are actual worms.

The original Nothrend ones look to be something that is mature, and doesn't have an "adult" stage.

The silkworms are obviously the catapillar larval stage of a silk moth.

The various maggot types we have across all of wow would appear to be some sort of parasite, but the physiology doesn't quite match up to anything on earth.. What do they turn into? We've never seen adults yet that I'm aware of.
The larval stage of a silk moth is still a caterpillar. Not a worm.

"The physiology doesn't quite match up to anything on earth.."
Look at Water Striders, or Sporebats, or even Scorpids that are missing two legs. Not everything has to be real-life accurate.

The one exception I take to this, is the fact that we can't tame Hydras. I think this is in part because of their goofy two-leggedness. No creature in real life, or a tameable one in WoW, has only two limbs (except for the Wind Serpents/Dragonhawks.) It's just illogical. Either you have no limbs, or a minimum of four.
At least Wind Serpents/Dragonhawks have two wings instead of legs. Generally these are creatures of magic, and thus the logic of "how do they rest? How do they not get tired of flapping constantly?" doesn't apply. Something with only two legs (and three heads, instead of just one!) would be very unstable.

My point being, grubs and maggots should remain worms because they're the closest thing to a worm.
Last edited by Equeon on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

*couchdragonhawkscough*

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Slickrock

The thing about the grubs and maggots is they don't have heads, which any terrestrial one does. If they are a larval stage, then there should be those signs. If not, then perhaps they are true worms/parasites with no adult form. Despite their names, their physiology would suggest that.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Not all larval forms have heads. Though if I'm thinking right, we'd need to step outside insects entirely for that.
And these DO sort of have them. Kinda.

And and as far as not knowing what they turn into, we know what gorishi grubs turn into, at least.

Either way:

They love us! ;)
Attachments
worm.jpg
worm.jpg (32.83 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Zhinru »

Warcraft's maggots don't have to be a larval stage of anything. Given how long the plague grubs in EPL have dwelled without growing up into anything, I conclude that's what the whole animal looks like: a very simple organism that feasts on decomposing matter that the Plaguelands are full of. Perhaps it even grew that big because of what that environment became in wake of the Scourge.

Would that description make it fitting for a hunter pet? Some species seem to have giant teeth, that can definitely lacerate our enemies. Even the tooth-less ones should be able to spit acid to digest their food. Seems combat-capable enough for me. And since the burrowing and acid-spitting is the closest fit to a worm, I'm all for it.
The Insect Man
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by The Insect Man »

We obviously need a new pet family "miscellaneous neotonous invertebrate"
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

The Insect Man wrote:We obviously need a new pet family "miscellaneous neotonous invertebrate"
If so, C'thun must become tameable. He seems to be based off a mish-mash of larval forms of different creatures and a tapeworm.

Attachments
Cthun.jpg
Cthun.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 3100 times