Rants/Raves/Thoughts On 5.2 Tameables

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Rants/Raves/Thoughts On 5.2 Tameables

Unread post by Lisaara »

ejpaints wrote:I am personally glad blizz has moved to there being some actual effort into obtaining unique pets of late.

Gondria took me 36 hours of straight camping the week that patch hit. I don't even know how many times I saw ankha and banthalos in that time. My guildies were having a good ole time playing the new content and I was sitting on a rock waiting for an addon to set off an alarm bell... The same can be said for all of my spirit beasts save for loque and karoma. Those are the only two lucky finds I have. The others took many many wasted game hours, and I have em all. Well save for GC, I turned him loose some time ago.

MF rares did however add a neat concept and I enjoyed the excitement of it might one shot me when it finally showed up if I goofed.

The pandaria tracking mechanic I absolutely love. I actually feel like I'm hunting and I've routinely tracked them only to give to another hunter just bc I think it's fun and a lot of people have trouble with it.

The new spirit porcupines don't interest me at all for my stable. I do however very much enjoy the challenges so my second hunter might take a go at them. But I'd gladly help another hunter. Just for the fun of a challenge tame.

There are sooooo many rares that can be camped by npc scan. It's an old outdated mechanic or lack of one that requires pretty much nothing more than being willing to sit in game doing nothing for an extended period of time waiting for an alarm. Don't get me wrong I did it and I enjoyed doing it to an extent. But I really just wanted the pet for me. And I personally enjoy a tame that's engaging me to use hunter skills much much more than the old camp/watch Netflix while I wait with sound cranked up.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

ejpaints
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Aerie Peak

Unread post by ejpaints »

Cept for the part I meant to say Magria but I'm sure that was obvious to people that know what I meant
Enikka & Gara.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Yeah. XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Junrei wrote:
ejpaints wrote:I am personally glad blizz has moved to there being some actual effort into obtaining unique pets of late.

Gondria took me 36 hours of straight camping the week that patch hit. I don't even know how many times I saw ankha and banthalos in that time. My guildies were having a good ole time playing the new content and I was sitting on a rock waiting for an addon to set off an alarm bell... The same can be said for all of my spirit beasts save for loque and karoma. Those are the only two lucky finds I have. The others took many many wasted game hours, and I have em all. Well save for GC, I turned him loose some time ago.

MF rares did however add a neat concept and I enjoyed the excitement of it might one shot me when it finally showed up if I goofed.

The pandaria tracking mechanic I absolutely love. I actually feel like I'm hunting and I've routinely tracked them only to give to another hunter just bc I think it's fun and a lot of people have trouble with it.

The new spirit porcupines don't interest me at all for my stable. I do however very much enjoy the challenges so my second hunter might take a go at them. But I'd gladly help another hunter. Just for the fun of a challenge tame.

There are sooooo many rares that can be camped by npc scan. It's an old outdated mechanic or lack of one that requires pretty much nothing more than being willing to sit in game doing nothing for an extended period of time waiting for an alarm. Don't get me wrong I did it and I enjoyed doing it to an extent. But I really just wanted the pet for me. And I personally enjoy a tame that's engaging me to use hunter skills much much more than the old camp/watch Netflix while I wait with sound cranked up.
Couldn't have said it better myself!
And even I, old school camper that I am, agree to a point. The tracking mechanism was a great addition, but the pets were a bit underwhelming. The Cata challenge tames are probably my closest ideal method.

I guess what it boils down to is that there will never be another Loq/Krush/Arc trio. That makes me a bit sad.
Account has been closed at user's request.
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

The hunt for Loque and King Krush had to be the most epic experience as far as rare hunts go. There was drama, action, FARMING, all that good stuff.

But honestly? these spirit beasts that they made common are SO disappointing for me. We waited how long for Spirit beasts in Pandaria, and we get three different colored Porcupines? meh, just moving on.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I can see why they are fond of the translucent skins to be used as a "spirit" beast. Im not overly fond of them as a skin choice, but I get it. I have a hunter whom I deem a "Spirit Beast Master" and have all the spirit beasts on him (so I dont try to collect them all on my other hunters, just 1 or 2 for them for the family), and I will get these 3 on that hunter but they will only be tamed because of my theme, not because I want them. Same has been done for the majority of spirit beasts honestly.

My heart still holds out for the 4 Pandaria "god" skins to become tameable spirit beasts. and I think it would be rad if they had both a tracking AND challenge aspect. One thing I keep in mind about spirit beasts is it is a family all to itself, but the actual model can be ANYTHING. I dont think a jade serpent spirit beast (along with xuen, chi ji, and niuzao) is out of the question because of this. we wouldnt be taming a cloud serpent, we would be taming a spirit beast that just happens to look like one :D I doubt itll happen but i think it would be cool. I think they should open spirit beasts up to models currently not tameable, because again its not a new family, its just a spirit beast that looks like a stag or a hydra or a mushan or a............
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

I personally don't think there will be spirit beast versions of the 4 Pandaria gods. Why? because lore.

Heck, a few years ago I suggested we get a tameable Malorne version of a stag. The lore fanboys threw grenades at me. Suddenly, we get the model on the majority of the Pandaria stags, and I laughed my heart out.

But, I guess considering how "new" the lore of Pandaria is, I guess nobody would mind.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

PorrasouxRex wrote:I personally don't think there will be spirit beast versions of the 4 Pandaria gods. Why? because lore.

Heck, a few years ago I suggested we get a tameable Malorne version of a stag. The lore fanboys threw grenades at me. Suddenly, we get the model on the majority of the Pandaria stags, and I laughed my heart out.

But, I guess considering how "new" the lore of Pandaria is, I guess nobody would mind.
Not only the stag but... Loque'nahak? He's a prime example. Tameable children of those Gods wouldn't be any different to taming Har'koa's mate.

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Snowy wrote:
PorrasouxRex wrote:I personally don't think there will be spirit beast versions of the 4 Pandaria gods. Why? because lore.

Not only the stag but... Loque'nahak? He's a prime example. Tameable children of those Gods wouldn't be any different to taming Har'koa's mate.
But notice he's the only one since then.....so does that make him a good example then when he was the test to see if spirit beasts would fly over well? Skoll is his own. As is Gondria and the like....they don't have lore attached to them. If I was Harkoa, I'd be pretty ticked that some wannabe ranger is trying to steal my mate.

LisaaraPokefarm

Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Zhinru »

There's nothing lore-breaking about spirit beasts using a god's model/skin. Like Loque'nahak, they can be either mates or children of those gods, and those were often shown to be little more than a regular beast.
deadman

Unread post by deadman »

Would it really kill Blizz to give us some non-ghostly spirit beasts? As it is the catch-all family for hunter pets, it wouldn't be going to far to give us firebirds/phoenixes, slimes/oozes, hydras, or anything else for that matter.. Heck, I would probably switch back from SV > BM if I could get a spirit beast Shark XD
For those who can't imagine having a shark pet, just think of the Tiny Goldfish companion or the Talking Fish mob in Jade Temple dungeon ;) BUT A SHARK!! XD
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I don't know why they didn't make the Lonesome George tribute a turtle spirit beast, would have been perfect I think. For ghostly pets, I prefer this sort rather than the completely see-thru ones.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

GormanGhaste wrote:I don't know why they didn't make the Lonesome George tribute a turtle spirit beast, would have been perfect I think. For ghostly pets, I prefer this sort rather than the completely see-thru ones.
I think because he died and he's now happily retired and wandering the skies of Pandaria. Would be a bit mean for him to be beaten into submission and put to work as a pet :P
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Wain wrote:
GormanGhaste wrote:I don't know why they didn't make the Lonesome George tribute a turtle spirit beast, would have been perfect I think. For ghostly pets, I prefer this sort rather than the completely see-thru ones.
I think because he died and he's now happily retired and wandering the skies of Pandaria. Would be a bit mean for him to be beaten into submission and put to work as a pet :P
Heh, I guess so. He's a lover, not a fighter!
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Okay guys, I'm going to sound a bit spoiled here, but..

If 5.2 goes Live in its current form in terms of pets and tameability, it'll probably go down as the disappointing patch that had the most potential for hunter pets.

Don't get me wrong. I love Direhorns; they seem so alive. I like the new Devilsaurs too.

But in general, out of all the beast models added, there is a surprising little amount of tameable beasts.

Those are just my thoughts though. I'm just a bit frantic (not really extremely, but just anxious) due to the fact that it's starting to look like the builds and additions are slowing down, which is usually when the patch nears completion. I'm just trying to make sure I don't get my hopes up.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Qraljar wrote:If 5.2 goes Live in its current form in terms of pets and tameability, it'll probably go down as the disappointing patch that had the most potential for hunter pets.
I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but put it this way - what do other classes get? Nothing, really. Apart from buffs/nerfs, and as a non-raider, I couldn't care less about that. Every time a patch comes out with new tameable beasts and/or models, I count it as a blessing, really. We're getting new models *and* skins, and quite a few different ones too. Hunters are pretty well off.

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

It's my opinion. :P

Also, I'm not saying it's disappointing in general, but in terms of -potential-. There are a lot of beast models that could easily be added for hunters because they already exist or are added in 5.2 but don't get used.

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Qraljar wrote:It's my opinion. :P

Also, I'm not saying it's disappointing in general, but in terms of -potential-. There are a lot of beast models that could easily be added for hunters because they already exist or are added in 5.2 but don't get used.
I suppose it's because they don't want to run out of future additions... For example, Cata brought dogs and beetles, both of which already existed. Same thing with basilisks and Fen-striders in MoP.
However, upon further consideration, I don't think there is any lack of pets that could be made tameable...
  • Vanilla
    Hydras
    Stags
    Gazelles/Giraffes
    Rams
    Thunder-lizards/Kodos
    Diemetradons
    Pterrordaxes
    Sandreavers
    Grubs/Maggots

BC
    Talbuks
    Clefthooves
    Mana Wyrms

WotLK
    Shoveltusks

Cata
    Gyreworms
    Camels

MoP
    Yaks
    Kunchong
    Mushan
    Pterrorwings
    Bloodwing Bats?
Unless Blizzard plans to make 10 more expansions (and not add any new tameable species at all) I can't see a good reason other than time that more of these aren't made tameable.

I'm not a Blizzard employee, so I'm not sure how long it takes to design and balance two or three unique abilities and flip the "tameable" switch for certain beasts. (Whatever that period of time is, it would be significantly less if just adding different models into an existing family...) But if you ask me, pondering why many of those aren't tameable isn't spoiled, per se, it's more like a mage or warrior asking why there are staff/sword items in the game, but can't be equipped by them.

All in all, we should be really happy we get awesome triceratops pets; but it shouldn't be looked down upon to wish for some old-species love.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

You might be very right. I still dislike that they handle stuff like that though. xD

Especially if it makes them refuse to add remodels of already existing pets. (Kunchong and the new bat models)

I figure the bats will be tameable though. I'd be a kick in the nuts for bat lovers everywhere. A bigger kick than it was with Kunchong.

*waves at the old bat models.*.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Hydras have already got a reason why they're not tameable. Not to sound rude or anything(and it's not directed at anyone in particular cause I hear this all over the place) but I wish people would quit asking why they're not tameable. Blizz said why. They don't like the model and they're right. There's issues with it and they wanna spiff it up. We just need to be patient.

LisaaraPokefarm