WoW - Patch 5.2 | Thunder King Teaser

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Alauran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Skullcrusher

Unread post by Alauran »

Here is a Trailer Blizzard recently released. I enjoy it, but the sections with the Dinosaurs seems interesting. Never seen anything like it. What do you think of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXuMT-dvjuQ
Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Re: WoW - Patch 5.2 | Thunder King Teaser

Unread post by Zhinru »

I don't know why Blizzard released a trailer with... "holodeck" floors for a lack of a better word. Okay, guys, if you can't show them in the world yet... wouldn't it be more professional to not show them at all yet?
Alauran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Skullcrusher

Unread post by Alauran »

Zhinru wrote:I don't know why Blizzard released a trailer with... "holodeck" floors for a lack of a better word. Okay, guys, if you can't show them in the world yet... wouldn't it be more professional to not show them at all yet?
Don't know. I haven't done much research on the PTR since it's broken at the moment but do you know are we allowed to tame any of these dinosaurs?
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Alauran wrote:Don't know. I haven't done much research on the PTR since it's broken at the moment but do you know are we allowed to tame any of these dinosaurs?
None of the specific ones that were in the video (unless I missed something and there WAS a non-mount dire horn in there), but there's been a dire horn, devilsaur, and raptor found, as stated in other threads in this forum. :D Whether those are specifically intended to be tameable is unknown, since so much is buggy on the PTR at the moment. The dire horn in particular is likely to require more effort than what's currently needed....but that's just speculation.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Keilden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Zenedar

Unread post by Keilden »

Zhinru wrote:I don't know why Blizzard released a trailer with... "holodeck" floors for a lack of a better word. Okay, guys, if you can't show them in the world yet... wouldn't it be more professional to not show them at all yet?
Cause it was not a trailer, it was a teaser.
Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Zhinru »

Keilden wrote:
Cause it was not a trailer, it was a teaser.
Still, showing them in the graphic editor with the modelling grid looked unprofessional, especially coupled with actual shots of creatures in the world.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Teasers aren't meant to be professional, Zhinru. It's just a sneak peak at what they got so far.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Zhinru »

I'll just finish by saying that if I had a gaming company that big, I wouldn't release anything unprofessional.
Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

Zhinru wrote:I'll just finish by saying that if I had a gaming company that big, I wouldn't release anything unprofessional.
I really don't understand why you'd categorise something like that as "unprofessional." I think it's just a matter of showing off the models without necessary giving away hints (or spoilers) what they're going to use them for or where they're going to place them in game. Maybe the sets where they're intended are indeed unfinished but putting them against an -unfinished- backdrop would be the unprofessional thing to do in my opinion. :) The reason why they're including the models themselves as a teaser is probably not that far from trying to fish in people by showing them the things that will make a large portion of the players curious. (Alongside the whole, you know, "this is what we're working on currently" aspect.)
Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Zhinru »

Yoruko wrote:I really don't understand why you'd categorise something like that as "unprofessional." I think it's just a matter of showing off the models without necessary giving away hints (or spoilers) what they're going to use them for or where they're going to place them in game. Maybe the sets where they're intended are indeed unfinished but putting them against an -unfinished- backdrop would be the unprofessional thing to do in my opinion. :) The reason why they're including the models themselves as a teaser is probably not that far from trying to fish in people by showing them the things that will make a large portion of the players curious. (Alongside the whole, you know, "this is what we're working on currently" aspect.)
In such situations, you're generally advised, "if you can't show something finished, don't show it". That's the reasoning between NDAs and stuff. If the backdrop is unfinished, then don't show the thing on that backdrop, or on no backdrop at all - just don't show it until you can do it properly. Just like you don't have artists and painters show you half a face drawn and say "this is going to be amazing, don't you think?"

I mean, if that was done by some guy in his bedroom, that kind of presentation might even be expected and applauded (because we're getting to see *something*) but when a big company does a big, official news... I'm surprised, that's all.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

The video was not meant for people who look at the grid instead of the dinosaur models :)
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

GormanGhaste wrote:The video was not meant for people who look at the grid instead of the dinosaur models :)
^ It isnt even the full trailer its a TEASER. Teasers are normally unfinished, tbh I dont really think it matters what they put the dinosaur walking on as it seems theyre just showing off their animations and the like. Obviously the final wouldnt be like this but it isnt finished so they just showed you a snippit. I'd think people should be happy they got even that.

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I didn't notice anything wrong. It looked perfectly fine to me. They were just showing some of the new models and what differece does it make what they're walking on? It certainly doesn't look unprofessional.
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

Danielfboone wrote:
I didn't notice anything wrong. It looked perfectly fine to me. They were just showing some of the new models and what differece does it make what they're walking on? It certainly doesn't look unprofessional.
OR it could be references to certain dinosaur films. Even the games had some sort of "Lined box" back round when looking at the model of a certain dinosaur. I know, I'm a freak.

Also, does this mean the armored devilsaurs will be mounts? and the armored triceratops is from the raid boss version?
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

I have checked the models and they don't seem to have any form of a saddle-like thingie, just armor/rockets/lazors or whatever it is.

Don't care if they're mounts or not. Make them tameable and I'm one happy dwarfette :P

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Tsuki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Tsuki »

I think the purpose of the way they showed the models like that was so the background didn't take away from the model. It's easier to see the texture and colour if you have less to focus on around it.

~Signature made by Serenith~Image~Signature made by Serenith~

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Calling it unprofessional to show a sneak peek of something is like calling an artist terrible cause they showed the sketch before coloring it in.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Zhinru »

Junrei wrote:Calling it unprofessional to show a sneak peek of something is like calling an artist terrible cause they showed the sketch before coloring it in.
No, it's like calling that artist unprofessional. Because I would, as would most people who are concerned how professional his art is. Tell me, how many artists do you see sharing an unfinished sketch of their work? Negligible numbers because as a rule of thumb, showing unfinished work is considered a bad idea.

You like this video? Fine with me, normal players should not be concerned with this stuff, like I am. But having behind me a period of my life when I studied game design, I picked up a few things and primed myself to notice things like these. If you enjoy it, please continue to do so and ignore my impotent rants.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Zhinru wrote:Tell me, how many artists do you see sharing an unfinished sketch of their work?
There are some who stream their works-in-progress online, so I'd wager this number is higher than you think. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Kalliope wrote:
Zhinru wrote:Tell me, how many artists do you see sharing an unfinished sketch of their work?
There are some who stream their works-in-progress online, so I'd wager this number is higher than you think. :)
As a professional artist myself I know it's really quite a high number.