Isle of giant changes

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Valamar
Realm: Madoran

Isle of giant changes

Unread post by Valamar »

You can no longer fly in the isle of giants, you are forced to use a ground mount and the dinosaurs have an increased aggro radius, run run as fast as you can.

They now have abilities, the dire horn have a stacking debuff to increase their primary attack, triple puncture.

baby devilsaurs will crush your armour, 10% armour lowered stacking to 10 times, kill them quickly before your tank pet dies,

Adult Devilsaurs cannot be slowed, Adult devilsaurs will do a aoe roar that deals 150K damage and they run really fast, so if solo stick with hatchling kills.

Edit: the Adult direhorn can be slowed, but has a focused charge to you that does 140K plus a 60-85K melee hit

Pterrorwings now have a 40 degree frontal cleave that deals 140K-180K damage, this makes them easier for a hunter, it has a cast time, is aoe so your pet takes no damage from it, and it can be outranged, go max range and a pterrorwing is one of the easiest kills here for a hunter, it just has alot of HP.

New vendors around the isle offer dino disguises, these disguises are very helpful to combat the increased aggro range so make good use of them
Alliance get direhorn disguise, Horde get devilsaur.

The dinomancers can be looted for gold, windwool cloth, mote of harmony, and of course the tome.

The dinosaurs drop alot more bones now. so the grind for the white primal raptor is much much easier.

Young direhorn 7-9

Young devilsaur: 9-12

Pterrorwing: 12-17 (best one to farm as a hunter)

below are estimates

Adult direhon: 17-22

Adult devilsaur: 22+

I find these are welcome changes, with no flying mount, theres a very high sense of danger and exploration. it almost feels like raid trash now that they have abilities, the adult devilsaur is like a mini raid boss! Young direhorn, devilsaur and pterrerwing can be slowed and kited, adults cannot, and no dino can be CC'd.

Have fun! :)
Last edited by Valamar on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Re: Isle of giant changes

Unread post by Zhinru »

Uh. Thanks Blizz, I was already starting to look forward to that island. Guess I'm just getting a direhorn and hightailing it out of there.
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

Feels more like Jurassic Park now, and not "Easily murder every Dinosaur in sight grind Island" Because quite frankly, although it sucks a bit for those wanting the white raptor, just walking on the island and killing every single Dinosaur in sight with no difficulty not only takes away the fun idea of the Isle, but what hunter wants to go to the Dino Island, and TRY to tame something when everything is dead?
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Zhinru »

PorrasouxRex wrote:Feels more like Jurassic Park now, and not "Easily murder every Dinosaur in sight grind Island" Because quite frankly, although it sucks a bit for those wanting the white raptor, just walking on the island and killing every single Dinosaur in sight with no difficulty not only takes away the fun idea of the Isle, but what hunter wants to go to the Dino Island, and TRY to tame something when everything is dead?
Come on, the island would have never been "completely dead" had it remained the old way. The only people on it would be hunters trying to tame something (up to two at a time) and people farming the dinos for the raptor mount (given usual respawn timers and the health pools on the island, you wouldn't wipe out the second pack when the first starts respawning).

In my opinions, "grinds" and "challenges" should be kept completely separate. When I grind something, it's only because it's something almost trivially easy, and can be quickly slaughtered in big numbers. When I try to grind something and killing one mob (out of a thousand needed) takes a couple of minutes, I just quit because the time investment becomes ridiculously high.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

The sad thing is, it is more than a thousand needed. Each mob drops, what, 3-7 bones.
So yeah, getting this raptor will take much longer than I had originally hoped...
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Awww yeah Jurassic Park time! Whooooo!
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Unread post by Qinni »

Equeon wrote:The sad thing is, it is more than a thousand needed. Each mob drops, what, 3-7 bones.
So yeah, getting this raptor will take much longer than I had originally hoped...
Young direhorn 7-9

below are estimates

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Qinni wrote:
Equeon wrote:The sad thing is, it is more than a thousand needed. Each mob drops, what, 3-7 bones.
Young direhorn 7-9

below are estimates

Whoops. The downfall of skimming. :oops:

Still, it will take a long, long time... lots of pressing buttons in repetitive order on enemy after enemy - for twice or three times the normal amount. Yay! :|
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Sweet! I welcome these changes!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

I'm annoyed alliance and horde have different disguises. Make both avail to both factions.
ImageImage
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

These changes are awesomeeeeeeee. :D It'll still be a grind to get the mount but it's gunna feel so worth it! And getting ganked... I'm expecting that a lot. xD

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

The disguises are different for good reason...

PVP

Yes, pvp servers specifically. They don't want people hiding in these disguises to avoid the pvp on said servers.

LisaaraPokefarm

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I don't think we can use the silhouette argument anymore, now that we have Pandaren in both factions.
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Junrei wrote:The disguises are different for good reason...

PVP

Yes, pvp servers specifically. They don't want people hiding in these disguises to avoid the pvp on said servers.

I think that's silly, I'm on a pvp server and always have been. You can always pick a player out very easily. You have to, otherwise your ass is going to get ganked.

(Pandas, potions (the illusion ones that copy people), trinkets and other things that change peoples looks already exist to make the argument null imo)
ImageImage
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

And the fact that your name still pops up over your head even while wearing disguises...

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Snowy wrote:And the fact that your name still pops up over your head even while wearing disguises...
Only if you have names displayed, which a lot do not.

It doesn't make the argument null and void cause potions aren't bought via faction specific(all alchemists can make them) and they don't affect some part of gameplay(usually). They're for fun and nothing more. Just cause you don't like the reasoning doesn't mean it should be tossed aside and labeled null and void, imo. :) I was just giving a reason to the rhyme, as it were. However, I don't work for Blizz so I don't know if that was their intent or not.

But in all seriousness though, it's not a big deal on who gets what. They might've wanted to stick to Horde gets one color, Alliance gets another, which they do with just about everything and again...no biggie.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Junrei wrote:
Snowy wrote:And the fact that your name still pops up over your head even while wearing disguises...
Only if you have names displayed, which a lot do not.
That's a foolish way of playing on a PvP server, tbqh.

If you don't have high situational awareness on a PvP server, you're going to die whether your opponents are disguised or not.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Junrei wrote:However, I don't work for Blizz so I don't know if that was their intent or not.
You sounded pretty sure of yourself when you said that PvP was their reasoning for it. :P
And yeah, what Kalli said about the names being turned on/off. It's a really, really stupid idea to have them turned off if you're wanting to be on a PvP realm.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Well can you think of a better reason, Snowy? *chuckles* It just seemed like a pretty solid reason! :P Hehe. I can't really see any other reason why.

Ah well, I don't play on a pvp server and you don't need names turned on when hitting V displays enemy nameplates. Not the same as displaying all names(done via Settings), which most people usually keep off. I use V for showing enemy name plates.

LisaaraPokefarm

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

It says at the top:
New vendors around the isle offer dino disguises, these disguises are very helpful to combat the increased aggro range so make good use of them
Alliance get direhorn disguise, Horde get devilsaur.

My Orc turned into a Direhorn, may want to recheck that and the goblin that sells it has a gnome voice, weird. :mrgreen: