Dinomancers.....wtf

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Kerafirewing
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sisters of Elune (Used to be Uldaman)
Location: Grooming my pets by the stable master in the Tauren District.

Dinomancers.....wtf

Unread post by Kerafirewing »

Okay. Finally got to go to the PTR and check out some stuff after having to completely re-install the thing. Get to the Isle of Giants and instantly hit a brick wall. How has anyone gotten to tame a direhorn? Those guys can't be killed. Unless everyone was lucky enough to have other people helping them. Just fought ONE of them for 20 minutes and could not get him under half life. They cast that heal at least 3 times back to back and no cd on it. Yet intimidate, scatter shot, and readiness all have major cds. After 20 minutes (yes, it was that long. readiness came off cooldown 3 times before and just did again as) a druid joined in and that was the only way the guy got under half health. Widow venom was not even touching that heal; full health every cast. And they even cast that thing with barely any damage on them. Once he did at 99% health. I had snake and explosive trap down when not on cd...dire beast, crows and both again with readiness. Intimidate was like nothing happened; stunned yet still continued the cast to heal to full health AFTER being stunned. And I know intimidate will break the cast as it did multiple times. I considered getting a direhorn on one of my hunters later but at this rate it will be 2 xpacs from now before I can unless there is some trick to them I missed on here somewhere. So please tell me I missed a memo and there's some trick to fighting these guys. Otherwise, this will be a place I forget exists until level 100 if the game even still exists that long. And that's if they don't make the stegos and such over in Un'goro tamable first.
My precious guardians
Other hunters: Tobias, Roxie, Kynsia, Jaystus, Kegtapper, Noriana, Cleo, Lakota, Romulus, Roxie, Solari, Sahkura, Syren, Ladywolf
Meggers
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sargeras US

Re: Dinomancers.....wtf

Unread post by Meggers »

I can't help you personally as I haven't been on the PTR but something sounds very wrong. But yes, many many people have been able to tame them.

I suggest you read here:
http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 44&t=19877

And watch the video kalli made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOuvsqtZ ... e=youtu.be

Remember, stickied threads are your friends.
ImageImage
Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU Wildhammer

Unread post by Aggannor »

Have you tried using Gorilla, Moth or Nether Ray to interrupt? There has been talking every now and then that Silencing Shot doesn't lock the spell's school, which allows mobs to recast it right after silence effect wears off.
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

My experience...

On the PTR, with about a 500 ilvl (I bought the tier gear and pvp gear that was available for testing), I could kill them in about 30 seconds or less. I used silencing shot to cancel the heal, and I noticed that once they got below 60% health or so, they did not do the heal, but then would do the transform, after which they don't heal. Based on what I saw, I could probably do just as well with my "live" ilvl of 485, providing I didn't miss on the silencing shot.

To be blunt, you are not doing enough dps to get them burned down past the area in which they cast the heal. What gear level were you attempting this with?
Account has been closed at user's request.
ejpaints
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Aerie Peak

Unread post by ejpaints »

Did they change something with em? I had no issues killing them. I froze one and took the other two on with my new blue devilsaur at one if the camps. By the time first one died 2nd was at half health and then I just killed the 3rd after. It's been a few weeks since I've been on ptr but they weren't really any harder to kill for me than any of the elites for the dailies we've been doing for months.

I hate to sound blunt but it really just sounds like your dps is too low.
Enikka & Gara.
Slickrock

Also, these are elites, and the island is going to have that crazy-hard world boss. It's not a normal at-lvl zone.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I'm with EJ - your dps could be too slow. Another possibility is that you're not interrupting the heals. A third possibility is that you attacked the huge guy in front of where Oondasta spawns - but I think you'd know if you did that, since you'd have gotten roflstomped....

Spec for silencing shot; it'll save you a world of trouble. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Hmm, being the ultra-casual that I am, my iLevel is only 467, so will have to see how I do. Can always team up to make it easier.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

GormanGhaste wrote:Hmm, being the ultra-casual that I am, my iLevel is only 467, so will have to see how I do. Can always team up to make it easier.
That's probably it.

Hunter damage scales INSANELY with our weapon.

When I had an ilvl450 weapon, I could not break 30k dps if I tried. Then I got the 479 from MgV and I jumped up to 50k. Then I got the LFR Gun, and upgraded it to 491. Jumped to 80-90k from like, 65k.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Haven't been on the PTR, just speculating on my future performance :)
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

For some reason, I thought you were the original poster. Lol.

My eyes deceived me.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Myzou wrote:
GormanGhaste wrote:Hmm, being the ultra-casual that I am, my iLevel is only 467, so will have to see how I do. Can always team up to make it easier.
That's probably it.

When I had an ilvl450 weapon, I could not break 30k dps if I tried. Then I got the 479 from MgV and I jumped up to 50k. Then I got the LFR Gun, and upgraded it to 491. Jumped to 80-90k from like, 65k.
I didn't know our dps depended so heavily on our weapon! I had a lfr weapon in normal raids for a long time and wondered why I sucked abit...Now i have the normal bow (upgraded twice) but im still 10k or so behind another hunter with the Heroic sha touched gun. We do the same rotations etc so now I know why!

I have the lfr Gun and a gem to socket...not sure if I upgrade that will it be better? Lower ilvl then bow 497 v 491 plus the gem? hmm.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Castilé wrote:
Myzou wrote:
That's probably it.

I didn't know our dps depended so heavily on our weapon! I had a lfr weapon in normal raids for a long time and wondered why I sucked abit...Now i have the normal bow (upgraded twice) but im still 10k or so behind another hunter with the Heroic sha touched gun. We do the same rotations etc so now I know why!

I have the lfr Gun and a gem to socket...not sure if I upgrade that will it be better? Lower ilvl then bow 497 v 491 plus the gem? hmm.
Oh yeah, the weapon is everything and it's the dps figure you have to look at more than the other stats like agi, crit, haste,etc. In another thread I determined that the new weapon in 5.2 which can't use the legendary gem is significantly better than the Taoren gun with the 500 agi gem socketed. I'm still using the LFR version of the Fang Kung Bow upgraded twice and I can hit up to 65k dps in LFR raids. I only get outdone by Hunters who have the gun and they routinely get to 75-80K. I just can't get that gun to drop even with bonus rolls.
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Yes, you're right, the dps is everything >.> and the loot RNG is a female dog.

I have upgraded my LFR Taoren in all and any mean possible, and I can only hope it will last for a while through 5.2 - most of it, knowing my luck...

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
SetsunaChan
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by SetsunaChan »

I'd hightly recomend that you replace the Xbow from the Arena Scenario. The Amber Sprayer of Klaxxi'vess is a good replacement it's Ilvl463 so it's on par with most heroic weapons. :)
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

YAY, the gun finally dropped with a bonus roll in LFR. Now I'm up to iLvl 485. The gun immediately got transmogged into the Heartstriker bow from BWL though :D What an ugly gun.
Kerafirewing
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sisters of Elune (Used to be Uldaman)
Location: Grooming my pets by the stable master in the Tauren District.

Unread post by Kerafirewing »

Thanks for info. Have not been back to try them again but did notice that I still had on the 450 xbow on ptr. have since been able to get the bow from siege to drop and upgrade. Have not been able to do any lfr yet this time. Never even got to finish dragon soul so don't know if I'll even get to see any of the raiding this time. My guild is not large enough to even do raiding (much less dungeons regularly) so bit hard to get some upgrades at times. I know the gear helps with dps but the difference is drastic at the moment if only changing one item would change that much. Had my quilen (spelling?) with me and was using intimidate with it, scatter shot and was trying to slow the healing with widow venom. None of them was countering that heal speed and were even missing entirely or instantly broken. Had him dazed with intimidate or scatter shot and he'd still finish the casting of the heal and get back to full. So figuring at this point that direhorns will be off limits until next xpac for the hunter I was going to get one on. maybe at level 95 it will be doable since that toon is in worse shape than this one since only 2 people in that guild; my husband and myself.

Oh well. Thanks for the info. Was afraid there was some trick to fighting them that I missed in the forum here somewhere or that I was just bugged or something. Just FYI, the one I tried to fight is on the island straight across from sri-la and up a rise. had one past him and 2 others at a cauldron. Dinos (blue) off to the left if facing 'mancers. Had one of them watching as though interested in the fight. *chuckle*
My precious guardians
Other hunters: Tobias, Roxie, Kynsia, Jaystus, Kegtapper, Noriana, Cleo, Lakota, Romulus, Roxie, Solari, Sahkura, Syren, Ladywolf
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Use a different pet, one with a stun or interrupt - it'll help. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Slickrock

Also just keep working on your gear. Gear will be much more available from the 5.0 LFRs, so you should be able to gear up that way faster, and get yourself into the 5.2 LFRs after a while. Once your gear is sufficient, all you really need is to interrupt that first heal and the dinomancers go down.
deadman

Unread post by deadman »

You have to be able to put out some serious dps in order to get them to 50% before they attempt to cast their heal.
The heal is not affected by WV at all, and if you use a stun to stop it, they will immediately start recasting as soon as they get out of it... The best way to deal with them is Silencing Shot since that seems to reset their cast timer CD, but if your dps is lagging, be ready to toss out a stun/scatter to stall a few seconds for SS to be off CD.. (Hate that they raised the CD to 24sec >_< 20sec would be perfect for farming these guys.)

Overall, they are not very hard to kill once you figure out the tricks they use ^^ GL

edit: Thought I should mention: Only took about 30min to farm up 3x of the tomes, so should be nice and easy to get your hands on. It vendors for 37g50s tho, so even after you get one you wont be upset about getting extras XD
The new raptor battle pets sell for 63g50s and are pretty common drops, so I could see this being a good place to farm gold during offhours too XD