April Fool's Day is just around the corner

For discussion of the upcoming 5.3 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

April Fool's Day is just around the corner

Unread post by Quiv »

Just throwing that out there. With all the announcements about 5.3's new shinies come rolling in, something is bound to be a joke. My guess is its the third spec or the bad robot, though I hope both are real!

Just hate to see people get all worked up and have their hopes come crashing down.

:(
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Re: April Fool's Day is just around the corner

Unread post by Silivren »

I would respectfully disagree for the simple fact that Blizzard ALWAYS announces their April Fool's joke on THAT day and its always something that you cant take very seriously or giggle at, I dont think they'd be intentionally mean about something like a mini-pet somebody would really like OR the third talent spec. It just isnt like them.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Some of the things we are reading on MMO champion are not announcements from Blizzard, but details datamined. It is possible a joke could be datamined, in part, before Blizzards official announcement. And sure, many of the past April Fools have been obvious jokes, sure, but some weren't so obvious to others.

Either way, its just something to keep in mind. No one knows what it will be this year yet. Just hoping everyone stays on guard these next few days before believing something they have seen posted on MMO champion is set in stone.
Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

Actually that'd be really great if the April Fools Day joke was an elaborate prank made just to fool dataminers. With all of GC's tweets lamenting how crazy people get over datamined things, it's just the natural next step.

:twisted:
Silivren

Neilaren wrote:Actually that'd be really great if the April Fools Day joke was an elaborate prank made just to fool dataminers. With all of GC's tweets lamenting how crazy people get over datamined things, it's just the natural next step.

I disagree.. I think thats being intentionally mean.. For instance, MMO Champion typically has ALL the new WoW news so most people, myself included, assume its legit. If they released all of this just to say haha fooled you and take it all away, I've no doubt they'd get a lot of backfire because the April Fool's pranks are meant to be funny, not harmful, and that definately would be harmful.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

I've considered Gleok <The Untameable> to be a downright cruel and mocking gesture (and I dont even like hydras), but it didn't stop them from shoving that fact in the face of the multitudes who want hydras. They have done "mean" things before. :(

All I am saying is that maybe a small part of the new datamined things may not be legit, thats all. That is the nature of datamining, we don't always know intention or legitimacy. Not saying its the entire patch though, I think most is legit. Just got me a feeling something found in the next week will be part of the joke, thats all.

Nobody knows, me included. I am fully prepared to be wrong.

Its just something to keep in mind for the next week. Better to hope in cautious restraint for one week than to let them all go wild to only come crashing down a week later I say.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I find Gleok <The Untameable> to be pretty funny XD But that's just me.
Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

Doctress wrote:
Neilaren wrote:Actually that'd be really great if the April Fools Day joke was an elaborate prank made just to fool dataminers. With all of GC's tweets lamenting how crazy people get over datamined things, it's just the natural next step.

I disagree.. I think thats being intentionally mean.. For instance, MMO Champion typically has ALL the new WoW news so most people, myself included, assume its legit. If they released all of this just to say haha fooled you and take it all away, I've no doubt they'd get a lot of backfire because the April Fool's pranks are meant to be funny, not harmful, and that definately would be harmful.
I think the point here is that the act of datamining is not something that should ever be taken as gospel. Even to quote GC today:

"As far as I can recollect, there are no class balance changes yet in 5.3 patch notes. You might be seeing bugs, bug fixes or bad mining."

After all, to assume...

Blizzard has put in Easter Eggs specifically for dataminers to find, before. It wouldn't be a new or very mean concept :P If people get excited about all the things that end up being wrong, it's not Blizzard's fault but the websites who jump to the information and take it as fact.
Silivren

Quivering wrote:I've considered Gleok <The Untameable> to be a downright cruel and mocking gesture (and I dont even like hydras), but it didn't stop them from shoving that fact in the face of the multitudes who want hydras. They have done "mean" things before. :(

All I am saying is that maybe a small part of the new datamined things may not be legit, thats all. That is the nature of datamining, we don't always know intention or legitimacy. Not saying its the entire patch though, I think most is legit. Just got me a feeling something found in the next week will be part of the joke, thats all.

Nobody knows, me included. I am fully prepared to be wrong.

Its just something to keep in mind for the next week. Better to hope in cautious restraint for one week than to let them all go wild to only come crashing down a week later I say.
I consider Gleok <The Untameable> to be more of an idea of "When we tell you something. BELIEVE US." The only reason that didnt bother me is because people constantly bothered them about hydras even after they told all of us that they werent ready for that because their model needed work, and yet people still kept going on and on to them about it. I'd be pretty annoyed to because it feels liek telling a little kid "Not yet." to have them ask every five minutes.

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Rawr wrote:April Fools Origin :mrgreen:
I'd watch that but it says only people in the US can view it :S
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

cowmuflage wrote:
Rawr wrote:April Fools Origin :mrgreen:
I'd watch that but it says only people in the US can view it :S

Lameness, damn you Hulu!! and why does youtube have every other clip in the world save that one?At any rate here is a wiki url for some more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools'_Day :mrgreen:

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

I cannot imagine something like the mount being an April Fools joke, given just how much went into making it.. *shrug*

But it is something to keep in mind.
Kaellan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Kaellan »

The faerie dragon is the first thing I thought of when you brought up April Fools. it would be a pretty mean one. Regardless, of what it is I still want one :mrgreen:

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

The mount already has an ingame model with animations, if (and thats a gigantic if) anything we have found so far ends up being part of a joke, the mount is the last on the list imo.
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

I don't know how many of you have ever used Neopets, but a long, long time ago, one of their April Fools jokes was to release 100 or so brand new pets and people got so excited over it, myself included. That's a website full of younger kids who are easily going to fall for such jokes. And when it was announced that it was just a joke, there was an insane amount of backfire. They ended up letting people vote for their favourites and the most popular ones won and actually became proper pets. People were happy with that.

Basically, I wouldn't be too shocked if, for example, the faerie dragon mount turned out to be an April Fools joke, however they are probably well aware that people will scream and shout about it, cause, you know, that's what Blizzard fans do about everything anyway. Perhaps then they put up a poll and we get to decide where the mount comes from. I seriously doubt this would be the case at all though, normally the jokes are announced on the day and it's something incredibly silly and not easy to fall for. Just so long as we don't get that annoying Ghostcrawler website crab thing again...

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Unread post by Malackai »

Snowy wrote:I don't know how many of you have ever used Neopets, but a long, long time ago, one of their April Fools jokes was to release 100 or so brand new pets and people got so excited over it, myself included. That's a website full of younger kids who are easily going to fall for such jokes. And when it was announced that it was just a joke, there was an insane amount of backfire. They ended up letting people vote for their favourites and the most popular ones won and actually became proper pets. People were happy with that.

Basically, I wouldn't be too shocked if, for example, the faerie dragon mount turned out to be an April Fools joke, however they are probably well aware that people will scream and shout about it, cause, you know, that's what Blizzard fans do about everything anyway. Perhaps then they put up a poll and we get to decide where the mount comes from. I seriously doubt this would be the case at all though, normally the jokes are announced on the day and it's something incredibly silly and not easy to fall for. Just so long as we don't get that annoying Ghostcrawler website crab thing again...
yea but its already on the PTR and actually viewable I dont really think they will spend that amount of time making new skins and putting them actually on the prt for a aprils fools.
i can understand it if its just a screen shot that was being released imo.
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Malackai wrote:yea but its already on the PTR and actually viewable I dont really think they will spend that amount of time making new skins and putting them actually on the prt for a aprils fools.
i can understand it if its just a screen shot that was being released imo.
Like I said, I seriously doubt that the faerie dragon is the April Fools. I was just coming up with an explanation as to how it could work.

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Snowy wrote:I don't know how many of you have ever used Neopets, but a long, long time ago, one of their April Fools jokes was to release 100 or so brand new pets and people got so excited over it, myself included. That's a website full of younger kids who are easily going to fall for such jokes. And when it was announced that it was just a joke, there was an insane amount of backfire. They ended up letting people vote for their favourites and the most popular ones won and actually became proper pets. People were happy with that.

Blizzard Website Message: "Haha April Fools guys, we wouldn't really let you ride around on giant sprite darters!!"

Model Designers and Animators: "But-but we spent a lot of time on this, and the community seems to like-"

Blizzard Developer: "It was a joke! Throw it away and start on those Sha of Pride concepts, underlings! :twisted: "

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say that won't be their April Fools' joke.
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

"Hydra's are going to get updated models and animations, and tameable by hunters!"

Blizzard: huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue

Hunters: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."