Stone Direhorn Colors please!

For discussion of the upcoming 5.3 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Stone Direhorn Colors please!

Unread post by Zangor »

i think with the latest patch on the PTR it might be a wonderful time to add in all the stone direhorns for hunters to tame. i have wanted the jade ever since i saw it but was very sad to find they had not been used anywhere in game yet. maybe blizzard could add them in as rares on isle of thunder or isle of giants similar to portent where they switch between different colors?
Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Re: Stone Direhorn Colors please!

Unread post by Sesamee »

I like this idea!
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

Wain should totally pitch this to noah.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Oh god, a rare we have to track on the Isle of Thunder.

That's just cruel... but awesome.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

A rare to track through Isle of Giants would be...interesting. Especially if they made it path through all of the packs, so that you had to bide your time and wait for moment to tame where you wouldn't get squished. Maybe make it a challenge tame too!
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

Ziarre wrote:A rare to track through Isle of Giants would be...interesting. Especially if they made it path through all of the packs, so that you had to bide your time and wait for moment to tame where you wouldn't get squished. Maybe make it a challenge tame too!
That'd be overkill on the Isle of Giants.

I already have issues avoiding aggro as it is due to erratic pathing of some of the dinos there.
HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Unread post by HunterFTW »

i have been wondering about those direhorns as well.i even took my 3 90s that didn't have the tome yet to get theres incase a new rare direhorn happens to show up.and with the added space i will have makes it even more enjoyable.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

What can I say? I'm a little masochistic when it comes to my tames. Make me work for it!
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Tumblr!

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

Myzou wrote:
Ziarre wrote:A rare to track through Isle of Giants would be...interesting. Especially if they made it path through all of the packs, so that you had to bide your time and wait for moment to tame where you wouldn't get squished. Maybe make it a challenge tame too!

I already have issues avoiding aggro as it is due to erratic pathing of some of the dinos there.
Just use the Direhorn costume to make it easier, or camo if that isn't working.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

PorrasouxRex wrote:
Myzou wrote:

Just use the Direhorn costume to make it easier, or camo if that isn't working.
That costume has also never worked for me. xD
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Myzou wrote:
PorrasouxRex wrote:Just use the Direhorn costume to make it easier, or camo if that isn't working.
That costume has also never worked for me. xD
I have noticed that the costume is rendered basically useless if you have a pet out, since your pet's aggro range doesn't change just because you're in costume. This is rather annoying if you have a dire horn or devilsaur out, since they should theoretically blend in....

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: several...

Unread post by Funk »

I'm not usually one to post.... actually I never post stuff anywhere... (until now)

But uh, I too have been hoping the stone Direhorns would make a Portent-style appearance in game. On the PTR I actually went back to Isle of Giants more than once just in case I spotted tracks, heh. I love the tracking system for pet taming in MoP and I'd love to see more of it.

It does seem to me like a challenge tame would be overkill on the Isle of Giants just because there are plenty of level 91 elite dinos that have quite large aggro ranges (even with the Direhorn hide, adult Devilsaurs have detected me at a healthy distance). It's fine for a tracking-style tame but add in challenge mechanics to the pet and you get Oondasta for hunters. Okay, I enjoyed Oondasta for the cluster-cuss of a mess trying to down him caused so maybe that wasn't the best example xD

Perhaps if the stone Direhorns were tracked and had challenge mechanics in Dread Wastes/Townlong Steppes/Kun-Lai/Jade Forest similar to the Warbringers/Scouts. Maybe. I personally prefer the idea of a tracking-style tame on the Isle of Giants (with the environment itself providing the real challenge, rather than the pets). Naturally though, we will all differ on how we like our tames. ;)

Honestly though I would be thrilled to have them at all, even if it is a super hard challenge-style tame on the Isle of Giants. Just thought I would throw my love for these guys out there since someone else brought it up.
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: N/A

Unread post by Crotalus Horridus »

I'd love for the Primordial Direhorns to be tameable beasts, however I think the whole idea of them being Molten Front 2.0 challenge tames is silly. Namely because of the skins and the fact that they're dinosaurs near other dinosaurs on the Isle of Giants.

High population servers, such as mine, always have people farming the dinosaurs. Whether it be day or night, people will be farming. While it has recently calmed down, I'm certain it'll rise back up next patch when the Direhorn Runts are added in and will drop from ALL of the Direhorns on the Isle of Giants. That being said, if people see those Direhorns that hunters are kiting (If that's the main challenge proposed, which seems to be a very popular one with Blizzard), then people will want to do the good ole' kill steal and take the tag from the hunter because they either want the pet or because they look like the mounts, they think they may drop the mounts. Should we track them? Absolutely, that gives it a good enough challenge of finding it, and it would be even better if the spawn timers were tied in with the Zandalari Warbringers and Oondasta. Jade spawns when a Jade Zandalari Warbringer is up, Amber spawns when an Amber Zandalari Warbringer is up, and Slate spawns when a Slate Zandalari Warbringer is up. While this may seem too simple, as the mobs have relatively short spawn timers, you could always get around it by timing it to where it spawns on at specific times in which the Warbringers will spawn. The same would go for the Cobalt one, which would spawn at specific times that Oondasta would spawn.

However, I think there should be at least be other challenges besides some specifically timed spawn timers. Let's focus on the one that I have the mount version of, the Cobalt Primordial Direhorn. For now, we'll call him/her ''Uunrasta''. Cool name, right? Anyways, Uunrasta will, being the color of the rarest mount of all four colors, will have abilities like Oondasta. Mainly Frill Blast, which could be Horn Blast, and Piercing Roar, which could be Piercing Bellow. But really, I'd stop there. Abilities like that put on a tameable mob would be pretty hard to get around, especially if it does the same damage as some of the mobs on the Isle of Giants.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

Crotalus, I'm not talking a Molten Front-style challenge tame. I'm talking a 5.2 style challenge tame--very short timer, and able to utterly obliterate anything that can't handle it properly. I'm pretty sure most non-hunters that take a whack at the spirit porcupines regret it very quickly. Blizzard has already shown that they've learned from the griefing of Molten Front.

(As an aside, Kalliope's right. Make sure pets are dismissed before using your Direhorn costume. With pet dismissed I can pretty much waltz around just outside of an adult devilsaur's hit box.)
Acherontia wrote:

Tumblr!

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

You wouldn't be able to use the costume while kiting/damaging for a challenge tame though. It'd be almost impossible to do them without aggroing 1-2 more dinos.
HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Unread post by HunterFTW »

maybe instead of on the island of gaints the stone direhorns can have escaped to pandaria where they are romeing free.if you want the kite tame.if you want the tracks then have them on the island of gaints.but i do think that they should if kite tameing the tame should be like the blue Porcupine where he is deadly fast.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

They could be adds to the Oondasta fight :)
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

GormanGhaste wrote:They could be adds to the Oondasta fight :)
>_> Explain to me how you'd pull threat, keep threat, and not have them die when there's 80+ people pounding on Oondasta? XD (Most of which would burn down the add)
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

Yeah, with that many people around at least one person is guaranteed to be not-nice and pull threat off of you/kill it.
Acherontia wrote:

Tumblr!

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Myzou wrote:
GormanGhaste wrote:They could be adds to the Oondasta fight :)
>_> Explain to me how you'd pull threat, keep threat, and not have them die when there's 80+ people pounding on Oondasta? XD (Most of which would burn down the add)
Sorry if I was unclear, it was meant as a joke!