Hunter Talent Updates

For discussion of the upcoming 5.3 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Hunter Talent Updates

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

And in the meantime while you're setting up your gates and getting your sac set up and...

...some blood DK pops in, solos the mob, and jogs away giggling.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Nachtwulf wrote:And in the meantime while you're setting up your gates and getting your sac set up and...

...some blood DK pops in, solos the mob, and jogs away giggling.
Pretty much. :<

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

On Suramar they tend to stay up longer than that. Not sure about Proudmoore, but it seems similar--most of the blood DK's are too busy soloing Warbringers.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Ril
Realm: Dun Morogh EU

Unread post by Ril »

As a raider i really regret the binding shot / intimidate change. It doesn't make any sense to me. Of course in pvp we use intimidation a lot, but it is pretty useless in pve. At least binding shot was a really good choice for certain encounters. They basically removed any choice from the level 30 tier. There's simply no decent room of application for a 3 second single stun, whereas binding arrow was often part of the add handling in many encounters. too bad, it'll be silencing shot and forget about it, then.

i'm pretty torn on the blink strike story. clearly the new blink strike looks nice for soloing, and even BM raiding if the numbers are good. however, blink strike and murder were two good alternatives depending on the situation. even in raiding i sometimes used blink strike because of it's great burst. imho, those two spells worked pretty well as real choices (sustained damage vs burst), whereas lynx rush.... well. lynx rush should have been the subject of change, not blink strike. and i've always been hoping for a more cleavy application of the dot. anyways. i won't complain about a passive lol-my-pet-teleports-every-second-talent.

the binding shot change (and intimidation accordingly) takes away a great deal of quality of life imho. i think most of us would be grateful if the folks with US forum and twitter accounts could provide feedback about just how bad this change is. imho we need to be very vocal about it. we sure know it worked for mages....
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Ziarre wrote:On Suramar they tend to stay up longer than that. Not sure about Proudmoore, but it seems similar--most of the blood DK's are too busy soloing Warbringers.
This annoys me the most. They took away any ability for hunters/other classes to solo warbringers yet DK's are so OP at it. Even for a tank spec this seems woefully unfair...and now our useful stun is gone too? pfft w/e blizz -.- Maybe i should just lvl a dk and be done with it :P

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Ril

Unread post by Ril »

Castilé wrote:They took away any ability for hunters/other classes to solo warbringers
wait, what? that's not true, whenever i come across a warbringer i solo him. just kite the hell out of that mob and BW/trinket the fear.
Last edited by Ril on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

What gets me is that Intim has -never- been very useful in a raiding scenario. Sure, I use it while soloing (albeit mostly to buy a few ticks of mend pet while poking at Isle of Giants elites), but I never touch that button in raids because frankly, everything's immune to it.

They'd have to make bosses NOT immune to it to have it be worth being in the talent tree at all, and yeah like they're going to do that. What gets me is that Noxxic has Surv and Marks both at the absolute bottom of the dps heap, (and BM, our "best" spec, in the lower middle of the pack)... and yet we're getting nerfs.

I feel like I should just stay on my warlock or something.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Ril wrote:
Castilé wrote:They took away any ability for hunters/other classes to solo warbringers
wait, what? that's not true, whenever i come across a warbringer i solo him. just kite the hell out of that mob and BW/trinket the fear.
To easily solo then. With no slows it takes like forever if your running in circles like a mad chook...whilst a DK stands there and lolheals themselves. So very wrong :/

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Small update that will effect any pvp'ers amoung us...

https://twitter.com/holinka/status/328903950139027456

This is a pretty major change imo. the sctatter almost become a staple to be able to try and land a trap due to the "arming" mechanic attached to them.

What this now means is if you try to scatter trap, your trap will go from 8 seconds down to 4. :|

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

This is ridiculous.

Basically reducing hunters to be burst or nothing in PvP.

Which we kind of were before, only now it's even more pronounced.

What the hell?

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Kalliope wrote:......

This is ridiculous.

What the hell?
Which is becoming even harder to burst with other upcoming changes of course. The ironic part is, with this change they are pushing competitive Arena Hunters BACK into/to keep BM as their spec.

Why? because of the way we will have to line up cooldowns now to avoid the DM. The reduction in pet cc cool downs (due to BM's passive reduction) will now be much more of a must to try chain into Freezing for its unaffected DR’ed length.

This is the way it will now most likely have to play out.

Current CC chain: Scatter (4s) > Trap (8s) > Silence (3s) > Pet stun/sleep (4s) = 19s total, can be performed every 32s (as BM) or every minute (as surv/marks)

5.3 CC chain: Pet stun/sleep (4s) > Trap (8s) > Silence (3s) > Scatter (2s) = 17s total, can be performed every 32s (as BM) or every minute (as surv/marks)

It just means now we have to reply on our pets (sometimes crazy AI) to set up our traps, which is just .... more cumbersome.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Kalliope

Spiritbinder wrote:
Kalliope wrote:......

This is ridiculous.

What the hell?
Which is becoming even harder to burst with other upcoming changes of course. The ironic part is, with this change they are pushing competitive Arena Hunters BACK into/to keep BM as their spec.

Why? because of the way we will have to line up cooldowns now to avoid the DM. The reduction in pet cc cool downs (due to BM's passive reduction) will now be much more of a must to try chain into Freezing for its unaffected DR’ed length.

This is the way it will now most likely have to play out.

Current CC chain: Scatter (4s) > Trap (8s) > Silence (3s) > Pet stun/sleep (4s) = 19s total, can be performed every 32s (as BM) or every minute (as surv/marks)

5.3 CC chain: Pet stun/sleep (4s) > Trap (8s) > Silence (3s) > Scatter (2s) = 17s total, can be performed every 32s (as BM) or every minute (as surv/marks)

It just means now we have to reply on our pets (sometimes crazy AI) to set up our traps, which is just .... more cumbersome.
Yuppppp, you nailed it!

It makes zero sense. Why pigeonhole us more? Arrrrgh.

YouTube Edition

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

And here I was thinking of pvping with my hunter....not anymore. :/

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Ril

Unread post by Ril »

Castilé wrote:
Ril wrote:
To easily solo then. With no slows it takes like forever if your running in circles like a mad chook...whilst a DK stands there and lolheals themselves. So very wrong :/
i don't mean to be pedantic here, but we do as much damage on the move as standstill. sure the risk of screwing up/bugging out is higher than for DKs, but we sure are faster at killing them.

regarding the other changes, this'll be a huge mess. what the hell. they removed any choice from the level 30 tier, removed a widely used and well designed CC tool (binding shot) from the two specs that are used in PvE, and now no scatter trap anymore? they better remove the trap arming time then.
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

I don't really play my hunter that much atm.. But.. sadly.. This almost makes it seem like hunters are supposed to be nothing more than the class that collects pets now. I don't mean to make it overdramatic or overgeneralize it but I just always seem them hurting and nerfing hunters every time they turn around.

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Do keep in mind, when it comes to the Warbringers, that we were/are one of the only classes that can conceivably solo them. It's not too ridiculous to take that ability away, when you think about it like that. That's not making us less powerful than the other classes, that's just making us no longer superior.

That's only for Warbringers, though. I dunno what to say about the PvP stuff, as I don't PvP.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Do keep in mind, when it comes to the Warbringers, that we were/are one of the only classes that can conceivably solo them. It's not too ridiculous to take that ability away, when you think about it like that. That's not making us less powerful than the other classes, that's just making us no longer superior.

That's only for Warbringers, though. I dunno what to say about the PvP stuff, as I don't PvP.
As a primarily PvP player (Though I haven't actually played in some time due to my busy end-of-semester schedule), Hunters were very good at locking down opponents in PvP, regardless of spec. Now, it seems that, like Kalli said, they're pigeonholing the class into strictly Burst damage; the best, and considerably only spec for which is BM. Even then, the overall survivability and threat a Hunter has is very much dwindled by these changes.

I'm not sure why they don't want us stunlocking, fucking Rogues have been able to do it forever and a day, but regardless, these nerfs are rather sever to the class as a whole in PvP

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

I guess I feel that if one class cant solo something then NO class should be able to solo it. I don't really pvp myself but I THOUGHT that burst dps doesn't normally work in pvp. Is that true or?

Kalliope

Doctress wrote:I guess I feel that if one class cant solo something then NO class should be able to solo it. I don't really pvp myself but I THOUGHT that burst dps doesn't normally work in pvp. Is that true or?
It's depended on the season. Usually early in an expansion, before gear gets good enough to allow for longer fights, burst is the best thing to have in PvP situations. Later on, though, things balance out and healers become more valuable.

YouTube Edition

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Recent post by Ghostcrawler:
5.3 hunter: Considering reverting the DR change on Scatter Shot but might nerf hunter pet CC cooldowns instead.
That'd be a nice compromise in my opinion. Less pet AI centric on the CC, but still slightly less CC than live.