About the Bad Robot pet

For discussion of the upcoming 5.3 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Magnakilro
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Eonar

About the Bad Robot pet

Unread post by Magnakilro »

Its an Engineering pet. http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/

Looks like it may not be in 5.3
Avatar made by the awesome Senna-umbreon
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Re: About the Bad Robot pet

Unread post by Kalliope »

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/321 ... ts-TCG-Art

Same deal here; direct link to the post.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I'm betting that's who is making the WoW movie we have heard nothing about for ages. :mrgreen:

Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Ickabob »

Rawr wrote:I'm betting that's who is making the WoW movie we have heard nothing about for ages. :mrgreen:
Would make sense. I was almost expecting them to hand the pet out with movie admission, but it being an engineering craftable is pretty cool.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

They claim it's because they're all fanboys/fangirls of JJ Abrams and nothing more.

If so, however, they should probably have written the post about it a little differently. I'm willing to accept that it's purely because they're fans (and the robot IS awesome!) but the post itself read a bit like a paid promo masquerading as a fan post.

Then again, maybe modern corporatism and "reality" tv has made me too cynical about what is genuine ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Wain wrote:They claim it's because they're all fanboys/fangirls of JJ Abrams and nothing more.

If so, however, they should probably have written the post about it a little differently. I'm willing to accept that it's purely because they're fans (and the robot IS awesome!) but the post itself read a bit like a paid promo masquerading as a fan post.

Then again, maybe modern corporatism and "reality" tv has made me too cynical about what is genuine ;)

Last time I read anything about it it was being made by Legendary Pictures not Bad robot so yeah it's not because of the movie.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Wain wrote:They claim it's because they're all fanboys/fangirls of JJ Abrams and nothing more.
If so, however, they should probably have written the post about it a little differently. I'm willing to accept that it's purely because they're fans, but the post itself read a bit like a paid promo masquerading as a fan post.
I feel cynical about it as well. If it were just a tribute, they could have named it slightly differently (Naughty Robot?). That's the kind of thing they've done before as an homage.
And well, although I liked the Star Trek reboot and have nothing against Abrams (even if Lost always seemed silly to me), I just don't see how the production company is really that worthy of an in-game homage. It just seems weird.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

GormanGhaste wrote:If it were just a tribute, they could have named it slightly differently (Naughty Robot?). That's the kind of thing they've done before as an homage.
From memory, in the game files the model is called "Worse Robot" ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Wain wrote:
GormanGhaste wrote:If it were just a tribute, they could have named it slightly differently (Naughty Robot?). That's the kind of thing they've done before as an homage.
Worsero bot

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Wain wrote:
"slightly displeased Robot" is what I'd go for.
Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

I think one of the modelers probably made it in his off hours and they decided to throw it in after, since it's cute. Also because they took my Sky Claw away, this will totally make up for it, right!? (It won't but whatever :P )

Side-eyeing some people I've seen elsewhere who think this is going to turn WoW into some giant in-game advertisement. That didn't happen when they ran the MOUNTAIN DEW BATTLEBOT promotion. Blizzard just likes to stuff weird homages into WoW. I AM ROLLING MY EYES PARTICULARLY AT YOU, DAILY BLINK.
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Ehm...

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Hatari
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Hatari »

Hahaha. I have to admit, that made me laugh. I like the idea of the bad robot, though. And I want one. I think it's probably an homage, like Neilaren mentioned. I mean, I've seen that robot every week (sometimes several times a week) for years, after watching my favorite shows. Just like Grrrr arrrgh! from Joss Whedon, it's become a symbol with some meaning behind it (at least for me). So, I'm not surprised the developers at WoW feel the same way.