Maybe new Tame Gimmick? Maybe a New Rare?

For discussion of the upcoming 5.4 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Alleria

Maybe new Tame Gimmick? Maybe a New Rare?

Unread post by evil950510 »

Tame Challenge.jpg
Tame Challenge.jpg (192.78 KiB) Viewed 21781 times
Found this on Timeless Isle. Shot a flare nothing appeared, then walked over to where these birds flock and still found nothing, and then searched the island for more bodies yet found nothing else so far. I do not know it this is going to be some new tame challenge or it is just something Blizzard put in for ambiance. So far the Timeless Isle has been a let down on tames with nothing unique so hoping this is going to be a new rare to tame.
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Re: Maybe new Tame Gimmick? Maybe a New Rare?

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

I'm praying on this being a tameable celestial...I mean we can use their offspring as battle pets. Hopefully they'll throw us a bone.

Anyway, I'm wondering what "Fishgorged" means..
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I thought it was just there for flavour, like the dead antelopes in VEB. There are tigers all over the place on the Timeless Isle so I figured it was implied to be one of their kills.

"Fishgorged" just means it's eaten a lot of fish recently.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

So far it doesn't seem like we're getting anything new. Dumb me, expecting a new pet. Or a pet that could've easily been implemented.. like a bat or something.

This time, it actually bothers me.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

Yeah, I would not expect any tameables for the rest of this expac. Pokewow pets are taking any resources that might have been applied to us. What's the count now, at least 30 new Pokewow pets in 5.4? maybe more.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Albain »

Slickrock wrote:Yeah, I would not expect any tameables for the rest of this expac. Pokewow pets are taking any resources that might have been applied to us. What's the count now, at least 30 new Pokewow pets in 5.4? maybe more.
I understand the desire for more tameables, since my stables are basically full again and I love hunting for more, but this is kind of a selfish perspective. Looking at it this way, why should Blizzard give us more pets (when they've given us what, over a hundred this xpac alone? Some with skins we've wanted for years?) which only Hunters can enjoy, instead of giving something EVERYONE can enjoy? :(

It's not bad to want more. I don't agree that there should be complaining over tinypets taking resources. We take a lot more resources than any other class right now, with every pet out there that's tameable.
Slickrock

Albain wrote:
Slickrock wrote:Yeah, I would not expect any tameables for the rest of this expac. Pokewow pets are taking any resources that might have been applied to us. What's the count now, at least 30 new Pokewow pets in 5.4? maybe more.
I understand the desire for more tameables, since my stables are basically full again and I love hunting for more, but this is kind of a selfish perspective. Looking at it this way, why should Blizzard give us more pets (when they've given us what, over a hundred this xpac alone? Some with skins we've wanted for years?) which only Hunters can enjoy, instead of giving something EVERYONE can enjoy? :(

It's not bad to want more. I don't agree that there should be complaining over tinypets taking resources. We take a lot more resources than any other class right now, with every pet out there that's tameable.
So, by your logic, no new hunter pets ever again, in any expac, and 50 or so minipets with each patch? Umm.. ok... because we are such a burden on the devs right now as it is. And since YOU have filled your stables, asking for more is selfish for the entire hunter community. Huh?

As I said, there are at least 30 new minipets in 5.4. That seems, excessive, since currently we are looking at MAYBE one new slight variant on a turtle skin as something new sofar in 5.4.
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

This isle badly needs some nice shiny tame, but I'm afraid that crane is just a flavour addition :/ Would be cool, though... /wtb sha(dow) tiger

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by evil950510 »

I thought the tigers too, but if in its description it says "something" so I got hopeful. My problem is this a new area and the last big patch for MOP so I had hope Blizzards' development team would give hunters something, yet all they did was take the skins from the rares they had placed in start of MOP and slap them on the beast on Timeless Isle, thus making them unique. The argument for the 100 more pets added is void since its been proven they exsisted since Cata but Blizzard just needed to add them in. After all anger with the changes they add to hunters into 5.4 they would give hunters at lease some new shiny pets to tame.
Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Albain »

Slickrock wrote:
So, by your logic, no new hunter pets ever again, in any expac, and 50 or so minipets with each patch? Umm.. ok... because we are such a burden on the devs right now as it is. And since YOU have filled your stables, asking for more is selfish for the entire hunter community. Huh?

As I said, there are at least 30 new minipets in 5.4. That seems, excessive, since currently we are looking at MAYBE one new slight variant on a turtle skin as something new sofar in 5.4.
No, my argumentative friend. By my logic, we've gotten a whole lot this expansion, more than we have in any other expansion, and complaining that we should have more at the expense of every single other class in the game is selfish. More = good. More at the cost of everyone else = no. Does this make more sense?
Loki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Loki »

Even if we don't get a new models, editing a couple of code lines and making one new ability to make something like hydras or yaks tamable would suffice. But maybe they just haven't got round to adding stuff yet.

Avatar made by the awesome LupisDarkmoon. Tameable giraffes please!

Pets Wishlist:
Goats
Yaks
Shoveltusks
Stags
Talbuks/Gazelles
Giraffes!

WoD and Legion best expansions! 6 down, 1 to go!

Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Albain »

has anyone heard if Ghostcrawler changed his stance on hydras yet?
Slickrock

Albain wrote:
Slickrock wrote:

No, my argumentative friend. By my logic, we've gotten a whole lot this expansion, more than we have in any other expansion, and complaining that we should have more at the expense of every single other class in the game is selfish. More = good. More at the cost of everyone else = no. Does this make more sense?
So, also by your logic, any other class-specific items should never be developed either. They shouldn't design new weapons for us either, since those are solely used by our class, just give us wands, since mages and locks and priests can use those too.

I still fail to see what the self-abasement arguments do to help us, other than to put on rose colored glasses that 100 old skins that were already in the database are all we'll ever need again.
More = good. More at the cost of everyone else = no. Does this make more sense?
Again, by that logic, we should never have another new pet ever, as it's always "at the expense of someone else". Developer resources are developer resources. How can we get more without it being "at the expense" of someone else? We can't, therefore we don't deserve any. ever again.

Heck, most of the things that would make a lot of people here happy are already in the game. Yaks, Mushan, etc.

So, what you are really telling me, is that the adding of the 100 or so old skins and multplicative color variations of other beasts was the worst thing possible that Blizz could have done for us, as it set the standard that Blizz has done so much, that they really don't need to pay attention to us again. Because in doing so, Blizz has set the community here against each other on even hoping for a new beast.
Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Albain »

Your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired. If it takes away, outright, from everyone else in the game, it's selfish. Not that things are exclusive, that it takes away from others.

Understand yet? I doubt it, so I'll continue.

Backscroll to your original comment, wherein you said pet battle resources are taking from hunters. No it isn't, and no, those resources shouldn't be reallocated to hunters. This would benefit only hunters, at the expense of something everyone enjoys. Making a weapon for a hunter doesn't mean suddenly a warlock doesn't get a staff. But if pet battle resources suddenly go to hunters, yes, everyone who pet battles suddenly loses out.

Your efforts to twist what I'm writing into something I'm not writing at all is commendable by way of sheer effort, but still is missing the mark. I can only assume you're trolling.
Loki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Loki »

Technically, most of the new beast models that get made would usually still be needed for new mobs anyway and only end up as pets as a side-thought. There might be some substance to the idea that the model team now is working on more battle pet models than other mob (and by extension, beast) models, but since there's only been a handful of models made specifically to become tamable pets (Skoll, Gondria, Arcturis, Ghostcrawler kinda, poss. Loque'nahak depending on whether the loa version came first, Ban'thalos), it shouldn't make any sort of noticeable dent in the amount of pets that we get.

The thing that really irks me is the lack of allowing us to tame families that have been in the game since vanilla; new models are always nice and flashy but it seems like a bit much to demand and expect them every patch. I'm also sort of annoyed that they make nice flashy models for things like the Celestials and the fire cat/scorpion from that one boss in Firelands and then keep them back as NPCs while people clamor for new exciting spirit beasts and other rare pets but that's not really a discussion for this topic.

Avatar made by the awesome LupisDarkmoon. Tameable giraffes please!

Pets Wishlist:
Goats
Yaks
Shoveltusks
Stags
Talbuks/Gazelles
Giraffes!

WoD and Legion best expansions! 6 down, 1 to go!

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

There are a lot of secret and hidden things on the Timeless Isle, such as this quest: http://ptr.wowhead.com/quest=32974

While I don't think this particular quest is related to the dead crane in question, something similar may be.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

No. No celestials tameable. Let's leave them alone please.

I'm all for a new tameables but not lore figures. (Giving away kittens as mini pets is totally different than making their larger parent tameable. Also the celestials are meant for monks, to top that off. Let's leave them be for a different class).

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Wow okay is it just me or is the thread starting to get a tad bit snippy.

In my mind, there needs to be a balance, although I would rather the balance tips towards mini-pets. Rather, hunters should get some more tamable beasts, but the mini-pets and whatnot should ALWAYS outweigh what hunters get. Because whatever hunters get is, let's face it, one class. And mini-pets can be loved and used by everyone. So yes, hunters should get more pets. But I don't think it's a huge priority when one considers that this island is designed for everyone.

Hell, wasn't Isle of Dinosaurs essentially a hunter island? Really all you can do is farm bones for raptor and uh tame dinosaurs. Many dinosaurs. So many new models of dinosaur. So I wouldn't say hunters have been getting the short end of the stick. People need patience. Pets will come when they come. It may not be as fast as you want, or as shiny as you want, but they will come.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

This thread turned ridiculously hostile. I hope it's calmed down now. Anyone else who feels the need for heated arguments can take it to PMs.

Companion pets are handled by a wide range of devs. Hunter tameables tend to be a by-product of area design and whoever is nice enough to add a few more interesting tames. Noah has been involved with battle pets from the start but it didn't stop him creating the most complex tames weve ever had, in our current expansion. Originally we just got whatever was added to the area by devs who weren't really thinking about hunters. So we've actually done really well.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Actually, this whole "we've had enough" argument that is given every time does bother me. It's as if liking the idea of having more pets immediately means you are not grateful for those that are given. Yes, you may think 'my stables are filled. I have enough. I need no more pets.' but that is your opinion on view on it. Not mine or necessarily anyone else's. And no, I'm not implying everyone here forces that tired claim down people's throats, but I'm seeing it a lot lately:
"What about making Mushan tameable?"
"NO! No, nyet. We have had enough. You should be thankful that you got any pets at all in MoP."

Yes, the above actually happens and it is very annoying. I hope to see less of that. It's very irritating to see it happen.

As for "new models". I don't really think that's a fair argument. Not many people are actually asking for a new model to be released to turn solely into a pet. Loads of people, me included, have asked for already existing models in Pandaria or the old world to become tameable. Hellhounds, Pterrorwings, Kunchong, Mushan and hell, even Yaks. I feel it's not fair to list that under "well you can't expect them to make entirely new models for hunters" as that is misleading.

How is it spoiled and greedy to ask for more hunter pets? As Slickrock said: if that's your argument, then why not just stick with one pet family like a cat, or a worg instead of expanding it all the time. One of the fun parts of being a hunter is taming new pets. For me, it is more exciting to see a certain beast model I like become tameable than it is to see a new tier set.

I am not going to touch the subject of the Celestials as that gets people in a twist all over again, and it's simply not worth it. I myself think there is nothing wrong with making one or two or even all four celestial models available as rare spirit beasts, but I'm simply not going to argue it. Besides, it's not likely to happen at all.

Ranty rant McRantrant summarized/TL;DR: I don't mind it if you don't necessarily want new pets, but others do like to see more new pets, and calling them greedy or spoiled over it makes you no better. It makes no sense to call them that either. Feel free to not want new pets, but other people will. Don't force your arguments on them and likewise, vice versa.

EDIT:
Albain wrote:has anyone heard if Ghostcrawler changed his stance on hydras yet?

So far, not really. Then again, I haven't heard of him mentioning hydras after that. Always thought it was bullshit to make a family for one lone unintentional hydra tame, not make the rest of the hydras tameable, add a reference to said untameability to the Darkmoon Faire and then say "well lol i dont like the model so screw y'all hunters.". Then again, I tried to see the positive side of it and see it as an implication that whenever we fight Azshara in a future expansion, we're likely to see new hydra models, with Azshara being a servant of the Old Gods, and the hydras being pets of the Old Gods.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!