Two GC hunter tweets that got me tingly

For discussion of the upcoming 5.4 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Two GC hunter tweets that got me tingly

Unread post by Quiv »

Probably TMI but whatev

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status ... 1506522115
https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status ... 6112464896

Regarding Hunter pet buffs, any thought to letting hunters chose the buff they want on the pet they want to use?
Potentially. It's one of the last issues with letting a hunter choose whatever pet family they want.

Ever thought of bringing Eyes of the Beast back at all?
Yes, but it would be challenging. Some of the code was excised.

If I could have the +5 crit on a warpstalker, I dont care if the buff is called Warpwaggle, DO WANT. Sad to hear about the code removal on EotB though.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Two GC hunter tweets that got me tingly

Unread post by pop »

Awesome news. My Orc hunter deserve a pack of wolves with various skills
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

So what I'm getting from this is....

Pets are becoming even less special. Right?
Back in the day, you had pets like Takk the Leaper that was different than the other raptors and the ZG bats that were super crazy fast compared to the other pets.
Then all the pets got families and became less special, the only thing making them different from other pets is their buffs.
Now any pet can have any buff?

*not amused*

Siggy under construction!

Arisia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US (H)

Unread post by Arisia »

Actually, what I got it was the complete opposite-- pets would be MORE special. I have played WoW since Vanilla, and remember wanting pets that I could never really USE as either (a) "we" don't raid with those pets or (b) there is a pet that does the same thing but better.

If you could, in short, build the pet you want in the skin you want, it would be PERFECT-- every hunter would actually HAVE that amazing personalized stable they've wanted-- like pop said; want 5 wolves that do different things? Cool! Or like Quivering said-- a warpstalker with the +5 crit... you will finally have your pet, your way. Hell, even for RP it's perfect; Hunters can finally tame a pet and train it to fit THEM, fictionally speaking.

I like it :D
HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Unread post by HunterFTW »

Arisia wrote:Actually, what I got it was the complete opposite-- pets would be MORE special. I have played WoW since Vanilla, and remember wanting pets that I could never really USE as either (a) "we" don't raid with those pets or (b) there is a pet that does the same thing but better.

If you could, in short, build the pet you want in the skin you want, it would be PERFECT-- every hunter would actually HAVE that amazing personalized stable they've wanted-- like pop said; want 5 wolves that do different things? Cool! Or like Quivering said-- a warpstalker with the +5 crit... you will finally have your pet, your way. Hell, even for RP it's perfect; Hunters can finally tame a pet and train it to fit THEM, fictionally speaking.

I like it :D
you my friend have spoken in poetry.i to do hope for my personilized stables.it will allow more caustimization.it will stop the people from demanding a certain pet.even though it vary rarely happens to me but i was useing my undead bear Grimjaws cause i like to rotate the pets i use.1 person asked me for a cat for mastery which i did have my tiger Carrots on me but i wanted to use Grimjaws.but i they let it go cause they thought i didn't have a cat on me.i don't even think they noticed him durning my stampedee.but i perfer useing the pet i want not the pet i have to.like how i play the class and spec i want not cause i have to.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

As much as I like the idea, I not sure how its ever going to happen (in any logical sense)
Sure, the crit buff could be to translated into a other pets easily enough, but others I think might just one across as odd...
Kitty has shell shield?
Bear has fire breath?
Wolf has energizing spores?

And I sure they could rewrite them name and spell description, but that's just soooooo many new spells to add, just so many. And then to ever add another pet family, more every time.
Unless they just give them very generic names that cover every family?
Kitty casts Shield
Bear casts Magic Debuff
Wolf casts Spell Haste

I just struggle to see an easy was for this to happen that is not too much work/looks silly/or is nondescript/boring.
But like I said, would be cool if pets could do anything, but I just have trouble to see it working.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Bowno wrote:So what I'm getting from this is....

Pets are becoming even less special. Right?
Back in the day, you had pets like Takk the Leaper that was different than the other raptors and the ZG bats that were super crazy fast compared to the other pets.
Then all the pets got families and became less special, the only thing making them different from other pets is their buffs.
Now any pet can have any buff?

*not amused*
The days of those special pets and even pets in the same family having different attack and running speeds were fun in a way but led to every Hunter running with the same pet or wanting to. Even though it might be nice to be able to customize your pet, I'm not really in favor of the idea. Pets need to have some diversity in what they bring to the table in my opinion. I'd be much more in favor of bringing back Eyes of the Beast even though it wouldn't be used a lot.
Banard

Unread post by Banard »

SpiritBinder wrote:As much as I like the idea, I not sure how its ever going to happen (in any logical sense)
Sure, the crit buff could be to translated into a other pets easily enough, but others I think might just one across as odd...
Kitty has shell shield?
Bear has fire breath?

And I sure they could rewrite them name and spell description, but that's just soooooo many new spells to add, just so many. And then to ever add another pet family, more every time.
Unless they just give them very generic names that cover every family?
Kitty casts Shield
Bear casts Magic Debuff
Wolf casts Spell Haste

I just struggle to see an easy was for this to happen that is not too much work/looks silly/or is nondescript/boring.
But like I said, would be cool if pets could do anything, but I just have trouble to see it working.

Step (1): remove all current spells
Step (2): Add one Spell, for lame reasons and b/c blizz is anti-aspect will call it : PET ASPECT: does base buff x
Step (3): make it more simple: Minor Glyph of Pet Aspect gives pet aspect buff x

Here is one simple way they can do it. There are more. This is just to provide a example of something that should be easy to implement.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Things like shell shield would just require a rename really. Look at cower and how it reduces dmg. Surely there aren't many people who would mind the name of ability changing as long as it functioned the same?
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

SpiritBinder wrote: Kitty has shell shield?
Bear has fire breath?
Name changes.
Kitty has improved cower/Natures toughness/Rugged leather etc etc.
Bear casts Flaming roar/Blast of courage/roar of the dragon
Wolf casts Wild pheromones/Energizing howl/Encouragement.

I just think some skills should be kept for BM. Example the worm burrow, spirit mend, and moves restricted to exotics.
Hell an idea would be give bm two sets of skills they can put on a pet. A passive buff (mastery/crit) and an active buff. (Horn toss/burrow/ferocious bite etc)
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

I like this for PVP, but I'm not sold on it for PVE. Gives me even less reason to go out for pets, or go to my stable, which I haven't done for months hardly anyway. (Side note: Being in a 25-man raid team, all I ever use now is a SporeBat, for that extra caster buff, everything else is always covered.)

Bored hunter is bored..
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Oh, and yeah, aspects should be gone. Pack is a leftover from Vanilla. No need for it now.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I like Pack though. Pack and Cheetah. The others I dont care for.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

This would allow hunters to use the pet family and skin they wanted, while not having to choose between preferred skin and preferred buff. I am failing to see an objective downside to options. You can use the pet you want for what you want. I don't personally see a problem with letting BM hunters give other families BM skills for the same reason.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

As I said, I like the idea, it would be cool if pets could do anything. In a perfect world it would solve all problems of which pet to take. But like I was also saying...

Banard wrote:Step (1): remove all current spells
Step (2): Add one Spell, for lame reasons and b/c blizz is anti-aspect will call it : PET ASPECT: does base buff x
Step (3): make it more simple: Minor Glyph of Pet Aspect gives pet aspect buff x

Here is one simple way they can do it. There are more. This is just to provide an example of something that should be easy to implement.
I just struggle to see an easy was for this to happen that is not too much work/looks silly/or is nondescript/boring
DannyGreen wrote:Name changes.
I just struggle to see an easy was for this to happen that is not too much work/looks silly/or is nondescript/boring. There are currently 45 individual pet types, all with their own ability. Let’s say as an average 1/2 of those are identical double ups, e.g. Bad manner/Lullaby (even though very few are actually the same, these two I've noted are not the same as the spell lengths and cooldowns a different.) That leaves say 22 for rounding down new spell to be renamed for 1/2 of the pets available.... 22x22 = 484 new spells added (yes this is a very rough approximate, but you get the idea) And all this is pretty much only needed to be added to sound better/correct, even though the spell already exists, that’s A LOT of work..

Again, like I said, I LIKE the idea, just struggle to find an elegant solution to it that is not too much work/looks silly/or is nondescript/boring.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Slickrock wrote:I like this for PVP, but I'm not sold on it for PVE. Gives me even less reason to go out for pets, or go to my stable, which I haven't done for months hardly anyway. (Side note: Being in a 25-man raid team, all I ever use now is a SporeBat, for that extra caster buff, everything else is always covered.)

Bored hunter is bored..
Freaking hate sporebats and yeah I had to get one for the casual team I help out...ergh! Reminds me of cata when I had to have a ravager, a pet I hated as well with a passion >.> I know dem feels!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Arisia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US (H)

Unread post by Arisia »

SpiritBinder wrote:As I said, I like the idea, it would be cool if pets could do anything. In a perfect world it would solve all problems of which pet to take. But like I was also saying...

Banard wrote:Step (1): remove all current spells

Here is one simple way they can do it. There are more. This is just to provide an example of something that should be easy to implement.
I just struggle to see an easy was for this to happen that is not too much work/looks silly/or is nondescript/boring
DannyGreen wrote:Name changes.
I just struggle to see an easy was for this to happen that is not too much work/looks silly/or is nondescript/boring. There are currently 45 individual pet types, all with their own ability. Let’s say as an average 1/2 of those are identical double ups, e.g. Bad manner/Lullaby (even though very few are actually the same, these two I've noted are not the same as the spell lengths and cooldowns a different.) That leaves say 22 for rounding down new spell to be renamed for 1/2 of the pets available.... 22x22 = 484 new spells added (yes this is a very rough approximate, but you get the idea) And all this is pretty much only needed to be added to sound better/correct, even though the spell already exists, that’s A LOT of work..

Again, like I said, I LIKE the idea, just struggle to find an elegant solution to it that is not too much work/looks silly/or is nondescript/boring.
I'm just failing to see the issue here. Mind you, I RP a LOT, and also write about my toons, draw them and quietly obsess about them and honestly, I fail to see the issue over what a thing is named since, aside from discussing the names on the buttons, you do not SEE what it is called when the pet does something.

As an example; I'm out levelling, and in a fight, my bear, Astral, casts 'shell shield', since Blizzard never changes the name... when it does it, a shell like covering engulfs the bear doing what 'shell shield' does. Does it really matter that Astral is not a turtle and has no shell? Nope... at the least not to me; I don't see it being inelegant or boring; what I see is that finally I can invent a Hunter and give him or her the EXACT pets I see him or her owning, using these pets in ANY situation because they can be given the exact abilities I might need, whether solo leveling, doing instances, or raiding... I am finally free of having to use that pet that my toon, whom I took the time to give a long involved background and story, would never have used if my guild didn't require it for the raid buff.... or I needed it for certain parts of leveling, or PVP.

If this does happen, they finally have made the hunter open to any pet at any time, dependent only on what YOU choose. I really fail to see why this is a bad thing in any way-- if you hate the concept, stick to what the original idea was for your pet, keep it to that limitation, and you're fine too. Happily, WoW is not like the Pokemon cartoon where every time your pet does something, the trainer screams out what it is doing... most of the time the pet is doing what it needs to do, you hitting certain buttons to help make the fight go faster, while you attack on your own... if Blizz fails to rename the buttons to a neutral term for each ability, it's really not a huge thing in the end, IMOHO
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

TBH, I really don't care if they renames the spells or not. I'd just be happy with being able to use what pets I want without having to worry about their default ability!!
And, on another note...The exotic abilities...how would those be handled? would they still be family specific, would they be restricted to Exotic pets only, or could a BM hunter also give whatever pet the exotic ability as well?
I am not sure if a shell shield/Spirit mend would be to OP.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Makoes wrote:TBH, I really don't care if they renames the spells or not. I'd just be happy with being able to use what pets I want without having to worry about their default ability!!
And, on another note...The exotic abilities...how would those be handled? would they still be family specific, would they be restricted to Exotic pets only, or could a BM hunter also give whatever pet the exotic ability as well?
I am not sure if a shell shield/Spirit mend would be to OP.
Oh no Hunters will be able to solo things again :lol: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Rawr on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Spirit Mend + Cower doesn't seem to cause concerns. An extra couple second shield doesn't seem like it would break the bank to me.