Site Reworking Suggestion

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Site Reworking Suggestion

Unread post by Aeladrine »

I posted this on tumblr a few days back, and I'm planning on putting it in the suggestions forum in a bit. However, I'd like to get some feedback from you guys beforehand. If you can come up with any potential problems to this, or ideas that go along with it, please let me know!

Uh, tumblr is actually being a bit weird, so I'm just going to link my post. I'm going to have to figure out how to copy this soon... Anyway, please read that and let me know what you think!

Ah, got it!

--------------------------

So I was just kind of thinking about FR while in the shower, and how it differs from the one and only breeding sim I’ve played in the past (unless you count the Sims as one, I guess).

When I was in middle school a long, long time ago, I played this horse breeding sim. I can no longer recall what it was called, but you had your own stable, you could breed your horses, and you could race them and do other events with them. There weren’t any pictures of the horses. If You wanted to find one to put on your horse’s profile, you had to use google to find one.

Compared to FR, it would’ve been a laughing stock.

However, I remember it being really, really popular. These were the days when Neopets was in its prime, a few years before Subeta, and when simple webpage layouts were totally the norm.

There were a few things they did differently that I think FR could take some cues from.

-Horses would eventually become too old to breed or compete in events.

Now, I don’t remember exactly how old they had to be. It was something like 20, 25 years, which is about where it’d be in the real world, too. Mares would stop breeding before stallions could, and when they got to this age you’d have to put them out to pasture, where they would automatically eat all your food every day and you could gaze at them and remember all the pretty foals and fillies they gave you and you sold for cheap cash.

-Your “exalted” horses could still be viewed in a separate tab of your “lair”.

This would be a really, really nice addition, I think. Just a lair tab where you could see every hatchling or adult you’ve sent off to your gods in all their (likely hideous) glory.

-If you wanted to force a horse towards their cooldown, you could skip days, though it cost you a lot of food.
-Cooldowns were significantly shorter.
-Only females had cooldowns.
-"Incubation" time was significantly shorter.

Of course, all these things only worked because those horses would eventually get too old to breed. I don’t recall if they ever died or if they just sat out in your pasture forever, but forcing your lair forward in time was still costly. If all you cared about was breeding, you likely wouldn’t mind much. If you did events (or coliseum, in our case), it’s a dangerous game. You couldn’t just push one horse forward in time, either. It was your whole stable.

Now, I haven’t played breeding sims in a long time. It’s possible my suggestions would be completely stupid. But god help me if a 35 day cooldown isn’t frustrating.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Re: Site Reworking Suggestion

Unread post by Ana »

There were a few things they did differently that I think FR could take some cues from.
Horses would eventually become too old to breed or compete in events.
no thanks :) even if the site should exist for that20 years i dont want them to be to old.. plus dragons live ALOT longer then horses so then can breed for alot longer.. still i would hate to see this... really i would.

If you wanted to force a horse towards their cooldown, you could skip days, though it cost you a lot of food.
Cooldowns were significantly shorter.
Only females had cooldowns.
"Incubation" time was significantly shorter.
I like the skip cd thought but that would lover the price of rare breeds even more then they are now... and only having females on cd would leave a number of lonely males which i would want to breed but couldn´t. I could live with shorter nesting time but then again would lead to price reductions due to filled lairs.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Well, it wouldn't be 20 actual years. Like... every hour would equal a day or something. And if you have to retire/exalt your dragons when they get to a certain age, prices won't drop much because people will always be looking for replacements for their favourite pairs.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

i would HATE to retire my dragons.. i mean HATE.. 30 days cd on wildclaws and then you could breed them 4 times before retiring them?.. no thanks :D i would likve my dragons to be active all the time and produce me pretty babies :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Well the retiring would only work if there are shorter cooldowns. Otherwise you wouldn't have enough dragons in circulation. The idea is to keep some of the value of hatchlings, even basic starters, so we don't have a market that completely crashes. If every kind of dragon is always being wanted (because people will always have to replace their old ones), then the value never really bottoms out. And, combined with the exaltation tab, you'd never really lose a dragon. You just can't breed them anymore.

All of my suggestions would only work if you put them all together. They don't work separated out.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Heh i still would hate to retire a dragon :P i rather have the exhalt price rise to rise prises then i would retire one of my permanent dragons

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Mm, but that's only a temporary solution. We're still going to end up in a rut with people exalting much, much more dragons than are being bought.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

yeah but according to the manegement that its the plan.. i would hate to have my dragon being non usefull... that would make me very sad so some other solution be nice ;)

Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

They need an option to open all the broken penny bottles at the same time. I once had 20 I needed to open, took forever, and I knew what I was going to get out of the, 200 treasure and a broken bottle. :mrgreen:

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Only 20? I realised the other day I had a stack of 99 and another of about 43...took me a few days...really wanted an "open all" option then!

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

That would be nice too, haha. I generally sell mine on the AH as stacks of 99 for a bit more than you'd get from the 200 treasure per. I don't factor in the bottles, as I want the person buying them to feel like they're still getting something out of it... But hey, I get the money without having to open them!
• Aela's Pet Journal

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Makoes wrote:Only 20? I realised the other day I had a stack of 99 and another of about 43...took me a few days...really wanted an "open all" option then!
Yeah, I hate opening them one by one so I always do it after I'm done gathering. :mrgreen:

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I think I missed a few days XP I am better at keeping on top of them now, but yeah, "open all" is definitely wanted!

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I would not mind dragons getting too old to breed. It would be realistic ( menopause and all that >.> My mum is going thru that atm *shudder*). Also being that dragons are not real and are fantasy beasts there is no "wrong" or "right" way of doing it! No one can tell you you are wrong! It's win win!