Winds of Change (Pinkerlocke)

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Re: Winds of Change (Pinkerlocke)

Unread post by Ana »

I love that nickname :D :hug:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

Day 26

I am getting a surprising amount of a lot of heads and it concerns and confuses me. I promise that I am not doing this on purpose.

I used the size comparison site to see how everyone's matching up and holy heck I had the most adorable idea for Makani perched on Matar's nose. So small!

And to anyone who might be curious: I will not be attempting Roundsey's Raffle on my Pinkerlocke lair on the off chance it does actually win something. It wouldn't be fair on others and should it somehow win the dragon it would serve no purpose in the challenge. That and it kinda has no money right now oops.
Last edited by Varethyn on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Hehe I am glad you are getting good coin tosses.. though I dont quite get what the cointoss are for this time :P

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

That's a trinket. Heads means do some art while Tails invites a guest dragon :) I simply haven't had time this week to write or draw cos of courses and volunteer work.

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Ahh gotcha :)

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Art for yesterday's post has been added.

Day 27

Another trinket!

Tails! That means another guest can join for the next RP entry (not including the one I'm still in the process of writing). So go ahead and list a dragon you'd like to show up! If only Tarn and Lupis post again I'll use Lupis' dragon since Tarn has already had a guest, but I'll use Random.org if more people join in too :)

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

That art is soooo adorable! ! Put both art pieces in Matars bio! !

Uhh guests ehmm lets see . I go for a breed you have not encountered yet

Nothing speciel about him. My restrictions are : no magic, no violence, my dragons are never evil, no energies /ghosts /spirits /witches etc. Else you can RP him how you want:)

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I'm going to repeat my dragon from last time (Hawthorne)! And gorgeous art, I love the size difference between Matar and her tiny, tiny little son.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Chapter 10 is now up. You guys are gonna hate me a bit as I decided to go for a short interval-style chapter rather than get into what happens to Matar and Saira, only to address an altogether different issue. Hint, read the Coatl encyclopaedia page.

Day 28

Uh oh. But I mean I've been getting so many Heads already, surely I won't -

... Oh god. Maki.

Aaaaaaaagh

STOP IT STOP IT I CAN'T TAKE IT

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Ohh that's so sad Matar can't hear her son!! Him trying to say Coatl is adorable though. .

And ooh my! Head means she lives right?

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

THESE COINS ARE TAUNTING YOU oh my god I'm so glad she's alive but poor Matar is going through the ringer. ;_;

And ooohhh, that writing was so heartbreaking and sweet- I never even considered that coatls wouldn't be able to understand fae at all. I wonder how they're going to get around that- maybe writing, or sign language of some sort...?

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Yup. From the Coatl encyclopaedia page:
These dragons are an agreeable lot, and attempt to placate enemies and competitors with small gifts of metal. This behavior has served them well, as cross-species communication suffers from much that is lost in translation. These communication problems stem from the unique way in which Coatl perceive sound. They do not have a traditional ear structure, but are still able to discern and interpret vibrations in the air. Their hearing is not as keen as dragons with eardrums.

Coatl are one of the few species to have a native tongue. They hum a series of different pitches at varying intervals to communicate. The result is far from lovely to other dragon species, as sour notes and incomprehensible melody grates on their senses. Coatl can speak and interpret traditional draconic with difficulty, but have no capacity to understand the monotone fae species.
I'm not sure yet how to get around it, but for now they have Saira and, if they'll let him, Vin to act as interpreter. Maybe Maki will carry around a teeny-tiny notepad or chalkboard xP

And yes, Heads means she lives.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Im glad she lives.. and wow your ability to read up on lore and use it in your writings are amazing. Whenever I write it is just what ever falls into my head :P

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 29

Did the minimum 20 rounds mainly cos I left this late today. Maki, Sai and Vin got rolled. A few close calls with Maki but my current set up seems to be working. Sai and Vin are lv8 and Maki is lv6.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 30

Chapter 11

“You're like me, huh.”

“Wawk?”

“Cast out. Banished. Not allowed to join in the festivities.”

“Wrark.”

“Well I suppose that's a little over the top after I was only disallowed from going inside it's not like I actually got-”

“Skreeee!”

“Right, right. Rambling again. I just wish they'd let me at least try to help I've made a lot of progress with the potions I'm sure they'd-”

“Kwark!”

“I'm doing it again aren't I? Blagh to be a Spiral sometimes. ...I'm talking to a flipping bird.”

Unsurprisingly Anvindr had heard about the egg the Coatl had and that it had hatched. Oh but how he longed to greet the little one! What breed was it? It certainly wasn't the Coatl's. She hadn't appeared pregnant at least. Well, not that he knew how pregnancy worked at all let alone within all the different dragon species. Even his own! But he did know about hatchlings and all hatchlings needed to be entertained and who better to entertain than a superfast spiral? Right? Apparently not. Saira had stopped him from checking up on... on... the Coatl whatever her name was. The Skydancer had mentioned it. It must have slipped out again.

“The potion I gave her worked at least.” Vin babbled to the greenish-brown bird perched on the sill. “Y-you can't blame me for anything, it actually worked!”

The gull cocked its head at the Spiral, made an odd cooing noise and began preening its scale-like feathers.

“It worked I tell you!” Vin howled to the skies, earning him glares and confused looks from the passing villagers not for the first time. “Please! Please! I'm good I promise I'm good I only want to help I'm helping please let me see the haaaaa....” Energy spent in his vain attempts to gain entry to the sleeping den the others were in and from his non-stop chattering to a gull of all things Anvindr simply ran out of steam. Falling backwards instinct caused his long tail to wrap around the corner of the sill and there he hung, upside-down and perfectly unconscious.

Inside the two girls gave a sigh of relief that the complaining had finished. Saira felt bad for not letting Vin inside to meet Makani. Yet how could she? Windsinger knew what the Spiral might try to do to the poor dear. She'd make up for it somehow. After all, they would be leaving soon. Matar had gone from strength to strength and was now finally ready to leave the village. And young Makani was getting very big very fast as was common for a Fae.

The only complication still standing was that the two could not communicate properly. On her side the inability to understand his speech. On his side, unable to completely understand emotion. For now Saira acted as go-between, carrying messages to Matar and explaining Matar's feelings to Maki. Not too tedious a job as it turned out, having been employed to settle disputes in the past.

One more night passed with the next day marking the continued journey. All four dragons were together, much to Matar's irritation. Saira insisted Vin join them. The Coatl making it clear she was not about to accept or even talk to the ropey dragon. Heck she barely acknowledged he was there. After everything that had happened thus far, one could hardly blame her.

Hands and paws and claws and wings waved their goodbyes as the group set out, returning the wave until a good enough distance was between them. With clattering feathers the Skydancer began checking through a bag she had procured. Vin and Matar sported similar, all packed with food and water and gifts from the village. Satisfied with the contents she motioned for the others to do the same and then turned southwards. When the rustling sounds grew fainter she whirled in alarm to see Ilmatar was not following.

“Ilmatar, I realise you have yet to recover your bearings fully,” Saira started gently, “but you're going the wrong way.”

The rustling stopped. The bag was drawn tight. Very tight. Ilmatar glared at her, knowing very well what was meant by that statement. “You still think you can get me to go home?”

Saira blinked, the suddenness of the irritation both verbal and emotional catching her off guard. “Um, yes?” Regaining herself the Dryland Drifter's voice became more stern. “Think, girl. Think about what has happened to you since you left. It's not safe and you're not ready.”

“I'm completely ready!” the red dragon shot back, fluffing up her feathers and almost sending Makani, who had been riding on her head, flying with the motion. Guiltily she raised a paw to steady the diminutive hatchling. “I just... had some bad luck. That's all.”

Bad luck. Saira glanced at Anvindr, who stiffened and slipped behind a tree. Ilmatar huffed. “Even so,” the Skydancer continued, “'bad luck' or no you still left with little food or water, no plan and during a crisis. How far did you expect to get like that and with the land in the state it is?” It had been over a month at this point since the Twisting Crescendo had ceased. Everything was suffering for it in one form or another. Least of all the frustration of not being able to fly for long. Saira herself longed to dance in the sky, performing for those around her. Wings glistening in the sunlight, feathers jingling melodiously, her dress flowing in the breeze as her lithe body went through the motions...

“Ehm, Saira?” Vin's meek voice cut through her reverie, bringing her back to the still, stagnant air of reality. “She, um, she's leaving.” In her daydream of those lost days she'd failed to notice that Matar had moved on. In the wrong direction.

Feathers puffed in embarrassment as the cream-coloured dragon galloped after the rebellious Coatl, Vin meandering in hot pursuit. “Think!” she demanded once the two were level. “What good will wandering around do? What about Makani, do you really think you two will fare well out here like this?”

The Fae flared his fins at being addressed, sweeping his large-eyed gaze over the three much larger dragons. “What is happening?” he chirruped, lifting one fin and drooping the other as his head crest folded back slightly. Not at any point had anyone told the little one what was going on. Saira's face flushed with shame. How to explain to one so young?

“Just a disagreement between myself and Mat- your mother.” the Skydancer told him as calmly as she was able. “There's somewhere we're supposed to be going but she wants to go somewhere else.” Ilmatar huffed again.

“And where might that be?”

Everyone span about to find the owner of the new voice, all shrinking down as they felt the way Makani probably did around Matar. Before them towered a massive female Ridgeback, blood-red scales obscured by an attire of black and purple. Cobwebs covered her equally red wings as purple mushrooms seemed to sprout from her shoulders. The blue Ridgeback from the village had been large but this one was somehow bigger.

“Ah... forgive me.” the massive red dragon said somewhat awkwardly despite her size. “I did not mean to startle you. I was simply curious.”

Uncertain glances were exchanged between the four travellers. It was Saira who broke the silence, sensing the stranger's well meaning. “Greetings. And do not worry, we were in a world all our own and didn't realise you were here.” The Ridgeback nodded. “We, ah, were returning to our clan,” the Skydancer shot a look at Ilmatar, who ruffled her fur in response, “but had gotten sidetracked with the arrival of our newest member.” She gestured at Makani, who was now flattened in fear over Matar's broad head, clinging to the scales adorning her eye ridges. “What brings you out here?”

The Ridgeback shifted, causing a herb bag at her hip to sway. “I was studying the fungus growing here.” She admitted. “Normally the hurricane in this land kept the air clear. With the winds silent it has allowed spores and seeds from all over to settle. I wanted to see how it affected the area.”

This time Saira nodded. “A worthy pastime. I imagine a lot has been affected by the Crescendo's absence.” More than we'd imagined. she thought sourly, having been one of many who had only grieved for the winds rather than the land proper. “Well we wish you luck in your studies. We need to-”

A loud, thunderous crack destroyed the stillness, interrupting the conversation. All of them flung themselves to the ground on fright, ears ringing, only to lift their heads in puzzled amazement. The leaves above them were rattling. Branches swayed. Grass rippled. As one the group looked in one particular direction. South. It was back. The Twisting Crescendo had returned! Even from here they could see the various cloud-cities and walkways and platforms and balloons take off to where they belonged. A throng of dark shapes filled the skies as the children of the Windsinger danced their joy. With a caw of jubilation Saira did the same, flapping her wings to spin and twirl in celebration.

“By the Plaguebringer it's spectacular.” The Ridgeback, momentarily forgotten, murmured. “But... something's off here.”

Matar had been resisting the urge to join Saira in the air and would have failed had the stranger not commented. Having spent many days staring into the storm until it had vanished she knew for sure. “It's going the wrong way.” It took her a moment to realise she'd echoed Saira's words from not at all long ago. Then just as quickly the Coatl gave in, unfurling her wings and joining the Skydancer, taking Makani firmly to let him experience wind in its glory for the very first time.

Vin remained near the ground, excited but not nearly so to go rocketing about as normal. Not for long anyway. He began zipping and whipping around the large Ridgeback, who in turn rose to full height to relish the feeling.

The celebration didn't last. Behind them something cracked. Vin whirled around, the only one to notice. Nothing there. He shrugged, started to noodle around again. Another crack. Several cracks. Thunder? No, too constant. He stared into the forest. Something was stirring. “Uh guys?” No response. Ilmatar and Saira were panting in the grass, exhausted from the dance. Makani was trying to fly wanting to continue the fun, flapped his delicate wings, jumped, floated back down again. And the Ridgeback was absorbed in her study, taking note of a clump of mushrooms next to her. The thundering sound grew louder. Another crack. This one different. Was that... smoke? “Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuys??” he called again, weaving his way to the middle of the group. “Something's not right out there.”

Heads lifted, finally noticing the shift. A swath of thick, black smoke was gathering overhead, stinging nostrils and drying throats. “What is happening?” Saira choked, reaching for her water bottle.

“Move.” The Ridgeback said simply, doing just that. Vin with all his energy followed. Makani began to bound with them, pausing when his mother and the Skydancer didn't follow. They were so tired now. “Move!” came the command again, urgent this time.

Saira nudged Makani with her snout, motioning for him to join Vin. The Fae looked to Matar. She nodded. He ran. Both girls got to their feet, too worn out to move quickly. The thundering was closer. Louder. They could feel it in the ground beneath their feet. And then a flood of movement. Black and white and purple and brown. Hooves drummed the earth, driven by fear. Snorting, bleating, whinnying. Rambra and zeeba and qiriq and stags charged past. A large branch deep in the forest snapped, fell to the ground, revealed a blaze growing larger. The animals scattered. They were in the path.

Vin, Makani and the Ridgeback could do nothing but watch in horror as Matar and Saira were swept up in the stampede. Kicked and trampled and tossed. A large hand pressed against Vin's side. He looked up at his fellow Plagueling, who motioned with her pointed head to move. He nodded, scooping up the protesting Makani and slithering away from the trees. They took flight, located a rocky outcropping where they sat anxiously.

“Why why why WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?! What happened what's going on are they going to be okay oh Plaguebringer what just happened oh no oh no.”

“Mother!”

A massive red wing draped over the tiny pair comfortingly. “A change in wind direction isn't always as fortuitous as one may believe.” the Ridgeback muttered, more to herself but loud enough for the others to hear. She looked down. “You realise how close we are to the Ashfall Wastes here, don't you?” Anvindr stared at her dumbly. “You regale the return of the winds now, yet it is that same wind that brought cinders from the Firelands here. One must have caught in the forest, spooking the animals.”

Maki squeaked, fins and crest pressed flat against his head. “What... Will they...?”

“I don't know.”

Vin clasped his hands together as he writhed around impatient and scared. Minutes dragged by in silence. The animals had since departed yet the three stayed put. Cinders turned what could be seen of the sky amidst the choking clouds a bright, burning orange. As if the sun itself had closed in. “W-we can't j-j-just leave them down there!” he screeched at length, gesturing with both spindly arms at the place they had been.

Red eyes scanned the ground. “It is unsafe, but I agree.” She unfurled her great wings. “Wait here.” And she was gone.

More minutes passed. Vin and Maki had taken hold of one another, hugging the other tightly. Neither said anything. The green Fae was sobbing. Vin panicked. WhatdoIdowhatdoIdowhatdoIdo. After what felt like an eternity the stranger returned, motioning to a flat stony area a little away. They all landed, the great spined dragon carefully laying two charred and heavily beaten bodies on the ground. She then unravelled a sleeping mat made from the hide of a monstrously huge black wolf, carefully positioning the unconscious pair on top of it.

“They're alive.” she announced. Vin blew out a breath he hadn't realised he'd been holding. “But badly hurt.” She eyed the black Spiral and the satchel he bore. He stiffened, the contents rattling. Makani's grip tightened. “Alchemist?”

“Um y-y-y-y-y-y-y-yes?”

“Do you know how to brew healing potions?”

“I, uh, well, I, uh-”

“Yes or no?” she boomed. Vin squealed as high-pitched as the tiny Fae clutching his chest.

“Yes! Yes! I thin- Yes! I do! They're not good but yes!”

The Ridgeback's brow furrowed. “Not good?”

Anvindr drummed his fingers together sheepishly. “They work?” He produced such an elixir and showed her.

The great snout wrinkled. “That's it?”

“Ah, well-”

“Use this.” A large purple mushroom was plucked from her shoulder. “”It will increase its potency.”

“Thank you!” He snatched it and got to work immediately, preparing a fire and all of his equipment and setting up several large vials full of the necessary, and new, ingredients. Don't fall asleep, don't fall asleep, don't fall asleep.

“I'm Hawthorne, by the way.”

“Hm?”

“Hawthorne. You?”

“Anvindr. O-o-o-or Vin. Vin is good”

“Nice to have met you, Anvindr.”

Next Chapter

Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Eeeeeeeeeeeee Hawthorne!! And oh my goodness, I REALLY really love the depth of thought you've put into how the Twisting Crascendo's changes would effect the world. I never would have thought about how it would suddenly be pulling in air from a different side, but the forest fires make total sense! And it was really clever to tie that into Matar and Saira dying in the Coliseum.

I LOVE this story so far, I'm so excited to see what comes up next! And so, so pleased to see Hawthorne's role, it makes me super happy. <3

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Uhh nice spin. I love your writing !!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it :D I get worried cos for the most part it's me flailing aimlessly at the keyboard and seeing what makes sense. The rest is actual inspiration backed by the available lore xP And yesss I love checking out and building around what is already given, especially the world map (looking forward to its update!) to see what I can mess with. Even if FR doesn't always stick to it themselves (Read: Temper, Temper wherein a coatl is described as shorter than a bogsneak and can understand a fae.)

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 32

... I think Random.org is broken, guys.

Well things have been going okay so far, so surely...

DODGE. DODGE. CRIT. FFFFF-
Well, since the site's broken I'm sure she'll-

Oh.

Oh...

...Well frick.

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

oh................

oh dear. I guess she's not gunna be getting up from that stampede. ;_; Oh, poor Vin- poor everyone!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising