An Ill Wind Blows (Side Pinkerlocke) - COMPLETE

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Re: An Ill Wind Blows (Side Pinkerlocke)

Unread post by Krysteena »

I need to check here more often look how much I've missed oh lordy

Just gonna say I love the concept of a secondary locke going on to spice things up a bit, it gives more context outside of Ilmatar and her group and more characters to get attached to! :D Also, if Hyacinth dies, I'm dying with him, I love him with all my heart already.
Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

Oh wow, thank you so much everyone! I really am happy to see you guys enjoying this. I definitely needed this it seemed since everyone so far has shone when it took a lot of poking with sticks to get the personalities in WoC :lol: And I'm glad to see connections with Zin and Cin so early. I really wanted to explore some particular areas so I hope I do a good job with it.

Day 6

40-50 rounds in the coliseum.

Magnolia, Zinnia and Iris got rolled today and holy heck they steamrolled through the Woodland Path, despite my sacrificing strength for other stats - which seems to be doing well so far! I am wary of this for when they start encountering elemental attacks however. For now though the trio made it all 50 rounds with Zin and Maggie reaching lv7 and Iris lv6.
Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Okay guys, I'd like some input if possible. As you may know, in Winds of Change I'd put unhatched eggs in with the familiar pulls meaning I could choose to hatch an egg or buy a random dragon determined by RNG. The suggestion had been made to focus on buying random dragons as I needed more adults to fight, though this has led to the three eggs I have waiting for a potentially long time to be hatched. However, the "proper" version of the new dragon rule is that it be the absolute cheapest one of that breed regardless of age. And I intend to do this side 'locke "properly" so as close to the original rules as possible. This means the new dragons will very likely be hatchlings anyway.

Given this, and in reading other stories, I've decided that scavenged eggs can be hatched immediately without prompt. Gifted eggs will still need a familiar pull but will take priority (unless I somehow get an influx of gifted eggs, then I'll rethink). This will give me the reward of customising the scavenged eggs to a preferred breed while leaving the bought ones to chance. This will also be applied to WoC when I go back to it.

With that said, what shall I do with the three eggs I still have waiting? No lie, after thinking on this I'm actually super eager to hatch them :lol: What I'd like is you guys' opinions on when I hatch them. Right now, all together? (Well, after the next pull in case it's a familiar so I don't go all Double Dragon on you. I wanted to get this out before I inevitably forget to ask.) One now? Have them be a reward from a particular event? Or say 'welp' and just sell the buggers? xP

If it at all helps I have an egg each from Water, Plague and Nature.

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Hmmm! Do you have any idea of how you'd integrate hatchlings into the story so early on? I think the idea of seeing them all hatched/introduced at the same time is kind of fun- it'd be neat to watch triplets grow up together, and see how their arcs evolve.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Hmm what about to introduce the eggs as something to do with alchemy?

Uhh or the grp could stumble across an abandoned nest or lair where the parents has left /died due to the dying winds?

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I'm with the others in practising minimal self-control and just hatching them in one go tbh. Like Mirya suggested, the three could be a strange ragtag nest that was thrown together after the dying winds and has since been abandoned. Maybe here no explanation is as good as any - the characters can't figure out how the eggs got there, or why, but all they do know is that they can't leave them :)
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

I'm so glad you're all interested in seeing them all hatch as well! Having them be, or brought up as, siblings is a great idea and yes! I do have ideas with how to bring them in early. A combination of what you guys suggested in that they be from an abandoned nest and the threat in the overarching story: beast clans. One way or another these eggs were abandoned or stolen and wound up in a beast clan encampment that the team stumble upon.

Today's pull is a material so I'll get some RP up soon. In the meantime I could not help myself and hatched the eggs.
ImageImageImage

As always, hatchlings from found eggs are allowed one breed change before they are introduced to the story. I look forward to seeing scry ideas while I'm working on the next chapter :hug: Also, if you feel like it, while I have some ideas in their bios already I'm curious to see what you can come up with for Zin, Maggie, Cin and Iris too :D
Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Oh oh, I'm really really letting my bias show but:
All Baldwin genes, which is fitting, the skink highlights match the light parts of toxin, while capsule matches the darker parts.

I'm also just about to rush out the door so I'll do the others when I get back, I just wanted to throw him out now before I forgot the gene combo :D
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Hope this work. .still on mobile

Image Image Image

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 7

Chapter 1

“Remind me how we got into this mess?”

It was the following day since the very sudden mission was given to the trio. After Maggie had been coerced into telling them what, and only what, had transpired at the leader's den Hyacinth and Zinnia begrudgingly followed the lumbering Ridgeback to meet Leesil for themselves.

The normally blue and gold Coatl was visibly ailing; not necessarily by lethargy or weakness but through the natural fading of his plumage that was common for his species. Shimmering orange and bands of lemon had bleached to near white, his blue fur tinged grey. Despite this there was a glimmer of youth yet flickering in the deep green eyes indicative of his origins in the Viridian Labyrinth.

A barely known story kept by the stricken leader was the answer to a question common of knowledge but rare of speech: Where was his mate, Ilmatar's mother? During the meeting Leesil entrusted the trio with this truth: his mate, Tyrell, had left him for the very thing they saw before them. Leesil had been battling this illness most of his life with Tyrell being one of few willing to care for him. Over time as the brilliant-coloured male's strength returned this care developed into something more.

The first time was an accident. An accident and a catalyst. They stayed together, building up what would become the Mistral Zenith. Together with those of their children who chose to remain they watched their home grow and flourish. Until one day the illness, thought contained, resurfaced. Only one of their next clutch survived: Ilmatar. Distraught Tyrell did all she could, but the stress of caring for her sick mate and her frail child became too much. She vanished overnight without a word.

Leesil had almost perished upon learning this, left to struggle alone. Against all odds he pushed through, determined to keep his daughter safe and well. Perhaps too safe. She, like her siblings before her, overcame her initial frailty and flourished. Only for her potential to be squandered. Leesil made sure his daughter remained where he could see her, smothering her in his affections, and in return she could have and do whatever she pleased. Little wonder, then, why she had been so desperate to get away from it all. With this information it was determined that she'd found an opportunity to slip out and see the world she'd been denied all of her spoilt childhood. If only she'd said something, left a note, anything to indicate she'd be okay.

And so Magnolia and her reluctant partners were sent out after Ilmatar, having been the first to notice the crimson Coatl's absence and bring it to the leader's attention. The rest of the day had been spent first heavily berating Maggie for being so quick to not only accept the mission but drag the others into it, followed by a very calm discussion of what supplies to bring with them by contrast. Once decided, packing was done in absolute silence as Hyacinth and Zinnia did their utmost to avoid the Ridgeback. Mostly in case they hurt her rather than she annoy them.

“Well, it started in my home. You were working on your potion project while Cin was studying-” A sharp growl cut Magnolia off from retelling the previous day word for word. “Hey, you asked!”

“Zinnia is simply trying to recall the series of events that led to you take us down to the surface,” Hyacinth concluded drily, “not a full recap of everything that happened yesterday.”

“Oh. Well in that case-”

“And it is all hypothetical. More that she is asking aloud to sort her thoughts, not that she needs an actual answer.”

“...oh.”

An awkward silence hung between the three dragons as they surveyed their surroundings. Not a few minutes ago they were all aloft in the sadly sagging sanctuary that was Mistral Zenith. Now they find their claws digging into soft soil, silky grass blades caressing the underside of their paws. A sensation they'd not felt since before they'd decided to live in the sky-bound lair.

Behind them was a cliff, a sheer drop miles high into the endless ocean below. Ahead, left and right, were rolling hills of emerald grass that once rippled and shimmered in the breeze. Although mere days passed, it had felt like an eternity since the winds died.

As they stood, marvelling at the sensations they'd not felt since joining the Cloudweavers it seemed the reason for their departure had been forgotten for now.

“It's so... still.” Zinnia breathed, taken aback by how quiet the world had become. Even in her previous home in the Shifting Expanse there had been some movement or other, whether it be other dragons hard at work – or the more skittish ones jumping every time a lightning bolt struck nearby – or machines whirring. Birds flying, insects hopping, snakes slithering... “It's like everything's in hiding.”

Beside the Bogsneak Hyacinth nodded sombrely. “They're afraid.” He guessed. “Like the Wind dragons native to these lands. With the air movement they've been used to for millennia coming to a sudden end it feels... empty.” A spindly finger pushed his cobalt specs back up his tapered snout. “I used to study the Hewn City back at the Sunbeam Ruins. The lack of light after being accustomed to it for so long was... how to put it?” The finger tapped against his chin in thought. “It felt like something important was missing. Yet I couldn't quite figure it out. Needless to say I didn't stay long as the feeling bothered me so.”

Reaching a hand into her pouch Magnolia pulled out and casually tossed a trout fishcake into her mouth. “Well,” she began through the fishy mess, “couldn't be worse than if the prisons in the Icefield vanished.” She swallowed and continued, “Those things are bad. If they disappeared we'd have all kinds of crazy things running about.”

“Are you seriously eating already?” Zinnia snapped, shooting a glare up at the Ridgeback who simply shrugged in response. “We've only just left!”

“Baring in mind,” they Skydancer cut in, brushing errant crumbs from his robe, “that the winds that make the Icefield so cold came from here.” He gestured at the empty space the Crescendo used to fill. “It pulled the warm air of the land over the ocean, in turn making way for the colder air that formed the Ice realms. So there's a fair chance that without the cyclone the prisons will melt as the air heats up.”

Magnolia baulked as she considered these implications.

“Bookworm's got a point.” Zinnia ground out as she took a few steps forward and scenting the languid air with her tongue. “Everyone's in trouble without the Crescendo. Not just the Plateau.” She took a few more steps, looking back over her shoulder at her partners. “Whatever. We're not going to find Ilmatar by standing around discussing the wind cycle. Let's go.”

“But what about-”

“There's hardly anything we can do about the prison.” Hyacinth interjected before Maggie could start. “Zin's right, we need to start searching if we want any hopes of locating the leader's daughter.” To cement his statement the blue-plumed Skydancer fell in line behind the squat alchemist.

“But, but, but!” Magnolia tried, waving her arms, only to sigh in an overly dramatic way and follow the others.

“Are you sure we're going the right way?”

“There's no way to tell.”

“Then why is Zinnia sticking her tongue out like that? Can't she-”

“It's difficult to track a scent when there's no wind to carry it.”

“So why don't we-”

“Do you have a better way of locating a single dragon in a massive continent?”

“Well no.”

“Then shut up.”

“Why don't we fly? We might be able to spot her from the air.”

“Normally a good thought but it won't help at this time.”

“Why no-”

“Because I can't fly.” Zinnia shouted, flaring her diminutive green wings as proof. “It's impossible for these things to lift me even with a gale blowing.

Hyacinth waved his hands in a calming motion. “Now Zin, you're still adjust-”

Shut up! The Bogsneak screeched, causing the other two to step back. After a second to compose herself Zinnia grabbed Cin by the snout, pulling his head down to her level and whispering, “Don't you dare. Not while she's here.” Hyacinth made a muffled noise between her fingers and nodded profusely until she let go.

“...You're just doubting your abilities again.” He quickly finished, rubbing where he'd been held and taking a few steps away from the irate Zinnia.

The Bogsneak simply narrowed her blue eyes and flicked her tongue at him before cresting the hill they had been climbing. Twisting her long neck to survey the surroundings she slipped down out of sight.

“She really worries me.” Magnolia commented, chewing on another fishcake as she lowered herself to Hyacinth's height. Then jolted back as she found herself staring at a very displeased glower. Wordlessly the feathered dragon moved away after his friend, holding the glare until it was too uncomfortable to do so. “What?” She asked, lumbering up behind him.

“You're wasting supplies.”

The Ridgeback blew air between her thin, sharp teeth. “That's it? Really?”

Hyacinth stopped suddenly and whirled to face his aggravating partner, startling her into a standstill. “Do you really not see how bad things are?” He demanded, once again waving an arm in the direction of the missing storm. “Not only did you drag us both out here without asking all you've done so far is ask annoying questions, indirectly insult Zinnia and stuff your face with food we'll need later not an hour after we left the Zenith.” Stomping his foot Hyacinth once more turned with intent to continue after the Bogsneak. “You're the one who started all of this, I suggest you start putting in some effort.”

“But I am putting in effort!” Maggie countered, matching his stride with ease. “I'm out here with you, keeping an eye out and offering suggestions!”

Before Hyacinth could protest Zinnia's voice carried over the hill, “Hey, we've got trouble!” Without further argument the pair galloped over the ridge, sliding down a surprisingly steep incline and then hopping over to where the Bogsneak was waving at the edge of the cliff. “Look, down there. I think that's a Mirror being attacked by webwings.”

Sure enough, as eyes of ice blue and golden light peered over the perilous precipice the trio could barely make out a dark shape sprawled out on the beach below, mobbed by a flock of the mutant birds. Streaks of red and green darted to and from as they dived in to peck at the intruder, who seemed to be having a hard time getting away from the furious fowl.

“I think they're injured.” Hyacinth concluded, unfurling his wings in preparation to glide down. “Magnolia, help Zinnia down will you?” He kicked away from the edge without waiting for a reply. As he dropped he closed his eyes, focusing on the latent energy around him. His beak-like jaws parted as pure light began to gather. Once satisfied he opened his eyes and let the bolt loose towards the birds.

It landed in the sand a little aside from where the attack was taking place, but it was enough to startle the webwings long enough for the Mirror to land their own attack. Rather awkwardly they balanced on one foreleg as they brought the other down on the head of the nearest bird, claws sinking into flesh as it was smashed into the ground. It writhed, flapping its bat-like wings uselessly until it fell limp, neck broken.

The action caused the block to break up in confusion, several of the birds fleeing in panic. A pair of them yet remained, letting out ear-grating shrieks as they began to flit towards Hyacinth. Deftly the Skydancer leapt into the air, beating his wings once to clear the fallen Mirror and prepared another bright bolt. Only for Magnolia to slam heavily onto the beach beside him, shaking his balance.

Placing Zinnia on the ground between herself and Hyacinth Maggie dropped to all fours protectively over the oil-coloured Mirror, took in a deep breath and roared with all her lung capacity at the webwings. The force of her breath alone knocked them from the air momentarily, tripping over themselves in attempt to get airborne and fly away. They let them go.

“Are you okay?” Hyacinth asked the Mirror, waving Magnolia away and extending a grey hand towards them. “Are you hurt? I know healing magic if you need it.”

Four red eyes regarded the proffered hand, considering it. Only to bat it away. “T-thanks, I'm fine.” She insisted, though not quite sounding so sure of herself. “I-I just...” she cleared her throat, rising to full height on her forelimbs and flaring her black wings proudly. “I just fancied webwing eggs to eat and messed with the wrong nest. Th-that's all.”

Hyacinth, Magnolia and Zinnia exchanged unconvinced glances. “You seem to be having trouble standing up.” Zinnia pointed out simply.

“W-what?” the Mirror stammered. “Oh! I just need a rest from the fight. I'm fine, really.” She attempted to shift her weight onto her hind legs, awkwardly shaking her sinuous body to flick them into a better position. Only for them to push apart as she stood and rendering her flat in the sand. “I-I... I just need...” A choked sob escaped her maw.

“You came from the Scarred Wasteland, yes?” Hyacinth asked gently, laying in the sand next to the prone Mirror. “I understand your view of not showing weakness, but you clearly need-”

I don't need your help!” the Mirror cried, blinking back tears as she dragged herself along by her arms, scooping out grooves in the sand.

Magnolia started after her. “Wait, don't! We can-”

“It's no use.” Zinnia cut in, standing in front of the white Ridgeback to stop her from going further.

“At least tell us your name!” Maggie called out dejectedly. “And, and maybe your clan name? We could-”

“Magnolia!” Hyacinth snapped, joining Zinnia in the Ice dragon's path. “Enough!”

For a moment the only sound was the breaking of waves far smaller than they ought to be slapping weakly over the beach. A gull screamed somewhere overhead as the trio quietly regarded the departing Mirror. Just as they were about to give up and leave she stopped, looked back at them pleadingly and called, “I'm Iris. I... have no clan. And I...” Iris' voice cracked, flustering her into a pause. “Please...” she turned around and began to drag herself back. “I need help. My legs... I can't feel my legs.”

Next Chapter

Last edited by Varethyn on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Interesting read! :)I really enjoy the fish cake eating ridgeback :D

(Edited for spelling errors. .hate being on mobile )

Kirrandria
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Kirrandria »

Hatchlings yasss. I'm just here to dump off some mass scrys of cuties.
Image or Image
ImageImage
They give off the appearance of a unified nest! Aside from the mismatched elements :lol:

ImageImage
I can't think of a primary for Maggie D:
ImageImage
One pricey derg in there.

Bless these dragon btw, they're great.
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Thanks for the wonderful scries so far! There are some very pretty combos I need to consider. ...and fast, as today's pull is another material and the little ones will need to appear in it. It will be a little while to write out of course and editing the breeds will be easy.

Allow me to share the scries I came up with personally, for those who cannot or do not want to view my dragons' bios:

Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

So many decisions, aaaaa :lol: I do like how we all agree the boy should be a gaoler.

Also a note on gem genes: Should I get enough gems I will consider it, however I cannot risk buying any for the Pinkerlocke account. For that reason, much as I love how constellation looks on Hyacinth, I will have to avoid them for now. That said, if anyone's feeling frivolous I do accept them as gifts (never expected, always appreciated!).

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Syleye »

love the interaction between them its wonderful

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 8

Chapter 2

For all of the pecking and wing-buffeting she had received Iris' wounds were surprisingly minimal, save of course for the major concern that was her legs and, evidently, her tail too. Most of the minor wounds had already begun to heal on their own thanks to the Mirror's Plague heritage so Hyacinth focused on the freshest. Throughout the process Iris remained silent, not even wincing when a wound was cleaned and magically stitched together. The Skydancer pressed her to find out what had happened to cause all this, but she remained adamantly quiet.

With some difficulty and a lot of shouting Zinnia had managed to convince Magnolia into not fussing over the, as it turned out, young - adolescent perhaps – Mirror, guiding the Ridgeback up the coast in search of some easy fish to catch. Both for Iris and to replenish the cakes Maggie had consumed far too early into the adventure.

“Please,” Hyacinth tried again as he finished healing a scrape on Iris' forearm, “webwings would not cause such damage to your hindquarters. Will you not tell me what it was that did? I may be able to fix it if I knew the source.”

Iris still kept her mouth closed, head resting on her crossed arms while she waited.

“You realise I will need to test the extent of the injury to determine a cause myself if you refuse to tell me, yes?”

Still nothing.

“Very well.” he sighed as he began to run his fingers down her back and sides, occasionally pinching her smooth hide and the base of her wings. Every time he pinched Iris' skin twitched in response, though she remained silent as ever. No wincing, no sucking in air, no sign of any pain. Merely embarrassment as she was subject to this. In spite of this, she let him continue.

It was when Cin started poking around the Mirror's hips that she stopped responding. Furrowing his brow the Skydancer pinched an area a little harder than before. A slight twinge, barely noticeable. Again, slightly below that. Nothing. He pinched harder. Still nothing. He then moved to the legs proper, taking one in his hands and rolling it in a similar motion to walking.

“Can you feel that?” Iris shook her head, briefly revealing a glistening streak beneath her closed eyes. Hyacinth let out a defeated sigh, accepting the fact he wasn't about to get any sort of information from the disabled dragon. “I am terribly sorry to inform you that you appear to be paralysed from the waist downward.” He stepped away to give the Mirror space to think. “I did not feel any noticeable damage to your spine so I can only assume damage to your spinal cord. I expect a strong blow of sorts to your hip area.”

Another strangled noise escaped Iris, who pulled her hands out from under her chin to rest them over her eyes as she wept. “No wonder they kicked me out.” she muttered brokenly, voice barely above a whisper.

“I truly am sorry.” The Skydancer sat on a stony protrusion at the base of the cliff. “Perhaps if I had all my tools I could do something for you.” he pondered aloud. “If you are willing we could take you back to our hom-”

No!” Iris shrieked, bony crests pressed tightly to her skull as she whirled to face him. “Please... just no. I can't.”

“Why not?”

“I...” she shook her head furtively. “What's a Mirror who can't stand let alone run and hunt? I don't belong anywhere any more. Please, leave me.”

“We can help you. I can find a way to-”

“I said no!” Iris practically screamed, throwing herself away and starting to drag herself along the sand again in defiance. “I don't need help. I'm better off alone.”

Hyacinth stood, calmly making his way to the ailing Mirror's side. “I won't leave you.” Then he bowed his head. “But I respect your wish for me to not offer any more aid.”

She stopped, blinking up at him through her tears. “Why won't you leave me alone?”

“Because no one should be abandoned because of a debilitating injury.” Pain washed over his normally fair features as memories surged back. “No one.”

Further down the beach not an awful lot was happening. Zinnia had waded into the shallows of an estuary to stalk fish with minimal luck; what she had succeeding in grabbing was too small to be worth much. As was proved by Magnolia who was happily scoffing the minnows down the moment the Bogsneak's back was turned.

“I know what you're doing.” Zinnia finally ground out, back to the Ridgeback and tail flicking like an agitated cat's. “You're doing no one any favour by eating everything you get your claws on.”

“Sorry that I'm hungry.” Maggie retorted, tossing the latest catch into her maw without chewing.

The black dragon stomped out of the water, shook herself off and leered at her companion. “Well maybe if you actually did something you wouldn't notice so much. You're always hungry and that's going to cost us if you don't control yourself.”

Magnolia rolled to her feet, holding her hands out defensibly. “Well maybe if you got something bigger-”

“I'm trying!” Zin snapped, rounding on the white dragon with teeth bared. “The only reason I'm even bothering is because you won't go near the water. How about you go forage for fruit or bugs instead. Or will you eat those too?”

“I only eat fish.” Maggie retorted, showing her needle-like teeth. “So no, I wouldn't!”

“Then go do something else.”

“Excuse me, is this a bad time?”

Both girls stopped their dispute to regard the newcomer, a cream-coloured Skydancer with crystalline feathers. “Oh hey, you're Saira right?” Magnolia asked excitedly, bounding over. “One of the actresses?”

“Only on the side, dear.” Saira nodded, crest clinking melodiously with the motion. “I was gathering supplies to make bandages with and heard shouting.”

The pair exchanged glances, Zinnia's narrowing with frustration as she turned back to the estuary. “Ask Mag. I can't be bothered with this.”

Another chiming as the dryland drifter tilted her head at the Ridgeback expectantly. “Um, well.” Maggie started, rubbing the back of her long neck in thought. “Ilmatar, the leader's daughter, went missing when the wind stopped and I kinda went around asking about her and met the leader himself and... well... we're out here looking for her now.” She paused, grinning toothily. “It's so exciting to go on an adventure together! We had to stop for some food but we'll be-”

“Food that you keep eating yourself.” Zinnia called out without looking up.

“Ilmatar missing?” Saira piped in before Magnolia could continue. “This is troubling.”

The Ridgeback nodded quick enough for her spines to rattle. “It is, it is! I don't suppose you've seen her? Oh, and our friend s up that way,” she pointed to where Hyacinth was tending to Iris, “so we can't leave yet. Could you help with that?”

A delicate finger brushed the beak-like chin as Saira hummed. “I'm afraid I'm only good at making bandages, not using them. I'm willing to spare a few and the materials to make more. Right now I'm more intent on searching for Ilmatar myself.” She turned musically to retrieve the promised items and holding them out for Magnolia to take. “If you're grounded for now I'll check the skies ahead for you. If I see anything I'll report straight back to the Zenith. Get someone to help you down here too.”

“That would be great, thanks so much!” Magnolia cheered, adding the medical supplies to their own baggage.

“And thank you for the information.” Saira nodded again, flaring her wings. “Do excuse the ungraceful method of taking off, it's difficult without a breeze to ride.” With that she dropped to all fours, dashing surprisingly fast for her frame and leaping into the air, waving as she departed.

A wet splat brought the Ridgeback's attention to the ground, only to have a black paw shoved in her face. “This. Is. For. Later.” Zinnia stated sternly. “And for cooking. So wait.” Her arm lifted up and down as Maggie nodded glumly, taking it away and craning her neck back to watch the glinting shape fading into the distance. “Well. That happened.”

“She was nice.” Maggie said simply, trying not to look at the still-wriggling fish. “I hope we see her again some time.”

It was dropping into evening, the skies deepening into streaks of purple, red and orange. A large group of dark clouds had begun to gather in alarming numbers unusual for this region. With caution the two girls gathered up their spoils, trudging back up the sand to meet with Hyacinth and Iris and describing their interaction with Saira. In turn Cin described the extent of Iris' injury and his reluctance to leave her. The Mirror's insistent refusal to be taken back to Mistral Zenith posed a great problem as now they had to seek shelter somewhere she would be comfortable.

After a great deal of fussing eventually Iris relented into being carried on Magnolia's back while Cin and Zin shared the load of their gear and supplies. Away from the Ridgeback. Making their way up to and past the estuary the Bogsneak had been fishing in the group found themselves following the river back inland by means of a path carved into the cliffside. Someone had come this way before often enough for it to be necessary they guessed.

It soon became apparent who had made it and why.

Despite even Magnolia's size the group suddenly felt extremely vulnerable as they spotted what looked to be the edge of nests poking over the lip of outcroppings and ledges. Too big to belong to native birds. Too small to be rocs. Plus the caves linking some together only noticeable on the lowest ridges suggested the ability to traverse between each. Some were linked by wooden walkways. It all seemed abandoned but none of them wanted to remain here longer than necessary, their pace increasing as they clambered up the slope.

“Do you really think longnecks carved this path?” Maggie whispered as best she was able without her voice bouncing off the rock walls.

“I see no reason for dragons to have made it in such a way.” Hyacinth replied, gesturing at the crude, rough way the stone had been cut. “Even if it were dragonmade it would be smoother and safer no doubt.”

As they rose higher some of the lowest nests became more visible and, unsettlingly, recently used. No harpies were themselves present but their spoils were; dragon bones and scales littered and lined each ledge and nest. Skulls of smaller breeds hung on pikes with larger ones tied with rope inside the passages.

They all gasped when they spotted three round objects far out of shape to be harpy eggs. “Dragon eggs.” Iris murmured next to Maggie's ear. “How did they get those?”

“Stolen, traded. Who can say for sure.” Zinnia replied solemnly. “Much as I'd love to rescue them it's far too dangerous. It's a miracle we haven't been attacked yet.

“Well I won't just leave them there!” Maggie exclaimed, removing a protesting Iris from her back and gently placing her on the ground.

“Oh no you don't!” Zinnia hissed, grabbing the Ridgeback's tail. “It's not safe!”

She was knocked away by a simple flick, Magnolia abusing her size and strength compared to her team's. “Take Iris and run. I'll meet you up top.”

“Mag, no-!” But she had already leapt, snapping out her dark blue wings and soaring towards the nest that held the precious objects. “Idiot!” the Bogsneak croaked, suppressing herself from yelling and gaining unwanted attention. She shrugged off and all but hurled her satchels onto Hyacinth's back as she assisted Iris in getting onto hers.”

The Skydancer gasped under the sudden increase in weight, staggering to find his balance as Zinnia slithered up the slope ahead of him, encouraging him to do the same. He cursed under his breath as he struggled.

Below them the Ridgeback had settled straight onto the lip of the outcropping that supported the eggs without so much as a cautionary glance around. Without thinking she grabbed all three, shoving them unceremoniously into a bag and launching herself off the rock again. A few white feathers were kicked loose.

Move, move, move move! Magnolia chanted to herself as she circled around to grasp at the edge of the slope, misjudging the place she aimed for, collided with the cliff. Claws sunk in, carving deep gouges as she slipped backwards. Using her powerful back legs and elongated claws Magnolia found purchase enough to kick herself up and over, galloping up the slope as fast as she could manage.

Deep in the cave voices echoed against the passage walls. The harpies were coming.

The group reconvened at the top of the cliff but with no time to rest. Mag snatched up some of the heavier bags from Hyacinth so he could run better, the four of them making a mad dash in a random direction.

Behind them shrieks of alarm filled the air followed by the beating of many large wings.

“Why would... harpies even... live in caves?!” Magnolia asked no one between breaths. “I thought... they lived in... trees and stuff!

“Convenience of... passage!” Hyacinth replied wearily. He was flagging. “To meet with... other... beast clan perhaps.”

“A... meeting?”

“Shut up... and... run!” Zinnia interjected, also showing her exhaustion. They'd not yet been spotted mercifully but it wouldn't take long if they stopped now. There was no choice but to keep going. For now the best they could manage was weaving between infuriatingly sparse trees. “Go... on ahead... Mag! You're... faster! Find something!” Stormcatcher help us all if these trees belong to the birds as well.

“I've got a better idea!”

Oh no.

“Wait!” Iris called out urgently. “They're not even following us!”

Too late. Unfurling her wings one more time Magnolia jumped into the air, doing her best to stay above the others as they continued their marathon. Taking in a deep breath she let loose a stream of freezing air, coating the grass in front in a layer of ice.

“Why would yo- Whoa!” was all Hyacinth could manage before his feet gave way, sending him sprawling and sliding along the frozen lane. Zinnia did her best to scrabble to a stop, too late, went flying along after him spewing curses at the Ridgeback as she went, Iris clinging on as hard as she could to the Bogsneak's crests. Magnolia then let herself drop onto the ice and hurtled after them.

She hadn't really planned where the ice path would go, just that it would. As it happened they were all now speeding downhill long after leaving the trail, rolling and bouncing down the grassy hill before colliding with the side of one of the many giant pinwheels that dotted the Wind domain.

“That was awesome!” the white-and-blue dragon shouted, jumping to her feet as the last of the adrenaline coursed through her body. She whooped loudly and bounced around laughing until her aching limbs saw her collapse into the grass, still chucking to herself and waving her limbs in the air.

In stark contrast the other three simply lay still in a groaning heap.

“They weren't... even... following...” Iris repeated as she managed to wiggle free of the mess of arms, legs and wings.

Immediately Maggie stopped giggling to stare at the Mirror. “They... weren't?”

Iris shook her head. “I was watching. They couldn't get enough height.”

“Good thing the lack of wind is hindering our enemies as well.” Hyacinth muttered, laying on his back with arms and legs hanging limply. He winced as he tried to move an arm to roll onto his side, deciding to stay put.

Crack.

Zinnia's crests shot up. “What was that?”

Crack.

“The eggs!” Magnolia rolled over, retrieving the assorted eggs from her satchel and laying them on the ground to watch. It was the blue one with bumps that could confused for barnacles that had begun to split open, the ovular object wobbling as the young life inside stirred.

With various pained grunts and groans the other three managed to pull themselves over to watch the spectacle. “They're all from different regions.” The Skydancer mentioned with some surprise. “Those harpies must have been trading with other beasts to achieve this.”

“Oh really?” Maggie lay her large head on the ground next to the eggs. “So they're not from here, huh.”

“No. This one, the one hatching, is most certainly from the Sea of One Thousand Currents. And this one,” he pointed at the slimy green thing that could only just pass as an egg rather than some disgusting pustule, “probably looks familiar to yourself, Iris?”

The Mirror nodded. “All eggs laid in the Scarred Wasteland come out like that.”

“But this one,” Hyacinth carefully took up the round, seed-like egg, “appears like that from the Viridian Labyrinth. Yet there's something... off about it.”

“What do you mean?” Zinnia inquired, settling down to glance between them. Though she tried to hide it the Bogsneak seemed rather more inquisitive about the eggs than would have first thought. Her electric gaze kept flicking to the Water egg, in which a small hole had started to form.

The Skydancer tapped the supposed Nature egg, only to shake his hand. “It's petrified.” He stated, licking his knuckles. “It may look like a seed but it feels like stone.”

“Is that possible?” Iris' head shot up and she dragged herself around to the bird-like dragon's side to inspect the oddity. “For an egg to be petrified? I've heard of fossilised eggs from ages past. Not so much petrified.”

“What's the difference?” Magnolia asked distractedly, not taking her eyes off the shaking Water egg. Interestingly, possibly from the motion of the first, the Plague egg had also begun to move; the soft, membranous shell bulging out as the hatchling pressed against it.

“Not a lot.” Cin admitted, holding the egg up to examine it all over. “Absolute basics; something fossilised is an object preserved in rock or amber and the like. Something petrified is an object whose outer layer has been replaced with stone, possibly some precious ones, and otherwise decomposed inside. So while it may look like bark,” he tapped it again, lighter this time, “it is actually rock or sto-” He let out a surprised yelp as something inside tapped back, dropping the egg to roll next to the other two. “Wh-what?! That's impossible!”

And yet it was very possible. Against all rules of nature, while the egg itself was long gone its contents had been perfectly preserved. Life and all.

“Um... Life finds a way?” Zinnia half-joked, clearly bemused herself. “It is a Nature egg after all.”

“Still!” Hyacinth was wiping at his specs, more as a release than to actually clean them.

With another, loud crack the hole in the Water egg grew larger and a blunt nose poked out of it, taking its first intake of the air outside its shell. The hatchling squeaked, throwing itself at the opening, cracking it further until it tumbled out. Large blue eyes blinked in confusion as the tiny tundra's world became a heck of a lot bigger.

“Eeeeee!” Maggie squealed, moving to pick up the sodden ball of fur. Zinnia intervened, blocking the Ridgeback's attempts.

“Oh no you don't. You'll probably smother the poor thing by accident.” As she spoke she quickly scooped up the young dragon herself, holding it close as it fussed at her. “You're far too big and excitable to handle a baby, Mag. Sorry.”

Magnolia let out a hurt whine at that, backing away slightly though her gaze now rested on the two others. The hatchling inside the Plague egg was doing remarkably well, using thin, pointed claws to poke through the membrane and rip it open. A faint peeping started up as its little off-white muzzle found its way out, the weight of it leaning against the ravaged side causing it to give way and leave a very fussy Fae wriggling in mucous.

Again Maggie started to reach out in adoration, but stopped short to turn away sadly. If she was too big to handle a Tundra then a Fae was completely out of bounds. Besides, Zin had already plucked it from its mess and had started licking it.

“...What are we even going to do with a bunch of hatchlings?” Iris wondered aloud. “Assuming they're all dragon hatchlings...” she added, watching the supposedly dead egg roll around of its own accord.

“I... do not know.” Hyacinth stated simply, staring at the Nature egg in bewilderment. “I never expected to become a father or father-figure for a long time yet.” Then he froze, paling with realisation. What were they going to do at all? Iris refused to go to Mistral Zenith so they couldn't take the hatchlings there. But they were on the hunt for Ilmatar with no good place to set up a camp let alone a hatchling-friendly den.

Iris dragged herself a little closer, reaching out to steady the round mini-prison. “I think this one's stuck because of the rock. Such a shame.”

“What do you mean, “such a shame”?” Magnolia blurted, skirting around Zinnia and plucking the petrified egg from the Mirror's claws.

“Hey!”

“We just need to help it, that's all!” She rammed a long claw into the gap where the sprout normally would have been, since filled with packed dirt.

“If an egg can't hatch properly then the hatchling isn't strong enough to live! That's life!” Iris demanded, slapping a hand in the grass stubbornly.

But Maggie wasn't listening. Ramming her claw over and over she started chipping away at the dirt. Slowly but surely a dip began to form. Something inside chirruped in anticipation, butting against where the Ridgeback was digging. Eventually persistence triumphed; the thinned debris gave out and Maggie's claw cracked into the egg. Pulling away the rest of the encrusted casing she leaned down to let the young one tumble out into the grass.

But something was wrong.

“Uh, Zin? Could we see the Tundra real quick?”

Raising a confused eye ridge Zinnia reluctantly placed both, now cleaned, hatchlings on the ground next to the new one who seemed at first to be an extra furry brown Tundra. Except not.

“It's too... gnarled?” Iris furrowed her brow and sniffed at the not-Tundra. “Not something I recognise.”

All eyes fell on the resident bookworm for answers.

Next Chapter

So much for making entries shorter :'D I just realised how much of a handful three hatchlings are going to be to write! Woo!
Speaking of, here are Gardenia, Allium and Lupin as their final breeds with gene plans/ideas in their bios.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Varethyn on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Syleye »

wonderful introduction of the babies and Iris

Kirrandria
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Kirrandria »

I'll say it again; I love these characters! Nice nod back to Saira, and aaaaah it makes me sad too. These hatchlings are gonna be interesting, especially the Gaoler boy. He couldn't make it out of his egg without help and he's a Nature dragon, it'll be interesting to see how Iris takes to him.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Oooo, really enjoyed the last two chapters! I wonder how they're all going to settle in- the tensions with Maggie are really high, but I feel like they have the potential to all fall in love with her, even in a begrudging way.

LOVE the way you handled a gaoler hatching. They're going to be awfully confused by that one!

All the scries are looking really great! Also, if Iris ever dies, can I put in my bid already to adopt her? I really love her concept!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

I'm so, so glad you all approve of how I handled this chapter, particularly explaining the gaoler's existence at all. After all, this story is taking place at roughly the same time gaolers begin to emerge so how the heckle does a nature gaoler egg make its way to the Windswept Plateau at this point in time? :lol: And Saira's appearance too; since this takes place at the same time WoC does it felt right to add some little detail or other to indicate roughly where in time we are. I'm sorry I made people sad with her :hug:

Lupis: Wow I wasn't expecting that. Of course! I'll make a note somewhere to remind me. I'm so happy to know you like her and that I've done a decent job with her condition so far :hug:

Day 9

Chapter 3

Nothing. No one, even Hyacinth, had any clue what the overly fluffy baby dragon was. Despite her earlier comment everyone had turned to Iris in case it was some kind of mutation. She'd shaken her head in a kind of offended manner, saying that a Nature dragon would not have been affected in such a way. This thing, whatever it was, was completely, well, natural.

One thing was certain, it was a hatchling who needed food and care.

“Honestly, I'm surprised it's even strong enough to do anything.” the Mirror commented drily, somehow irritated by the mere presence of the whatever it is. “If it can't break out of its own egg surely it wouldn't manage to stand up like that.”

Indeed the mystery baby had already found its feet, wobbling awkwardly towards the other hatchlings and squeaking at them. It nose-nudged the pale-blue Tundra and cocked its head as if it too knew something was different between them. In return the Tundra batted the not-Tundra on the snout with a comically huge paw, peeping back. This caused the not-Tundra to pounce, initiating a play fight. In the midst of it all the grey Fae was tripping over its far-too-big wings in attempt to not get squashed.

“You heard Cin. The egg was completely petrified.” Zinnia replied just as drily as she watched the three squabbling. “Young as the hatchling appears it must be old. Very old. Ancient, even.”

Iris lay out in the grass with her snout between her paws. “How...? How could something like that survive so long?” Despite herself and her reservation towards the nature of the fluffy baby's element she found herself highly curious. “Whatever species it is everyone back home will be very eager to figure that out.”

“The ability to lay eggs that could survive so many years underground.” the Bogsneak muttered, moving to lift the surprisingly heavy ball of brown-and-green fur off of its ersatz siblings. She grunted, taken off-guard by the weight and the resulting need to use both hands to lift. Not helped by its fussing protests. “Now now, you're a big... um...” A hint of embarrassment crossed her features as she lifted the creature to... examine it. “Boy.” she concluded, letting him down again quickly and shooting Iris a glare as she chuckled beside her. “Oh and I'm sure you've sexed many hatchlings yourself.”

“No.” the Plague-born stated, still giggling slightly. “It was the look on your face when you did it.”

Rolling her eyes the Lightning dragon let go of the puffball to scoop up and dump the other two in front of the Mirror, gesturing for her to do it herself then. As the bewildered cripple, who was suddenly not so giggly, picked up the pair Zinnia twisted her neck around to call out, “Hey Cin, you thought of anything yet?”

The Skydancer, who had been pacing on three legs with the last practically plastered to his chin in deep thought, shook his head. “I'm afraid not. Without access to my books the best I can compare it... him did you say? Best I can come up with is the story of the Icewarden's first creations. But surely that is an old wife's tale designed to scare naughty children.”

Behind him, pressed up against the curving wall of the pinwheel-like windmill Magnolia snorted, turning away. She'd been avoiding the others since Zinnia scolded her for trying to greet the newborns. “You mean the gay owlers?”

“Actually it's pronounced as 'jailer'.” Hyacinth corrected, waving a finger at the Ridgeback. “The story states that Icewarden's first draconic creation was made to keep watch over...”

But Magnolia wasn't listening. Feeling uncomfortable the Ice-borne stood up on her hind legs, stretching out her various limbs then glanced sadly towards where the two other females were entertaining the hatchlings. And each other it turned out; their bickering had subsided into snorts and playful punching of the shoulders.

Mag felt her heart tighten. Not mere moments ago the Mirror hadn't wanted to talk to anyone. Now she'd gotten the least sociable member of their group laughing. And here she was. Relegated to the sidelines, forbidden from approaching the little ones. Her stomach growled again and her pale eyes settled on the food pack Zinnia was currently taking samples from to offer the tiny dragons.

It wasn't fair.

“It's getting late.” the Ridgeback declared loudly as she gazed up at the sunset-striated sky, jolting Hyacinth from his ramble. I pale blue eye flicked to the gathering to watch for indication that they'd heard. Then narrowed when it appeared they hadn't.

The studious Skydancer approached the girls and their miniature gang, readjusting his specs as he did so. “Magnolia's right. We need to set up camp or find shelter for the night.”

“Kinda busy right now.” Zinnia grumbled as she fought to keep the hatchlings from biting her hand off. “One at a time! You might end up eating the wrong thing at this rate!” With a defeated sigh she shot an imploring glance at the other two. “Mind grabbing one each so I can figure out what Fluffy here likes?”

Almost before the question was finished Iris, using her large, black wings to balance, reached out and managed to grab the Tundra by the scruff. The little girl fussed loudly as she was dragged over and did her best to worm out from the Mirror's protective grasp.

Afterwards Cin carefully picked up the Fae, peeping indignantly, and held her to his chest. “So small...” Fae already were diminutive, fragile things. A Fae hatchling had to be the most delicate thing on all of Sornieth so he did his utmost to handle her the way he handled a centuries-old manuscript. Except aged parchment didn't wriggle and squeak. He found himself having to reposition his hands frequently to stop from dropping her.

“Thanks. Now- hey!” the Lightning Bogsneak began only to snatch the provisions bag away as a brown head tried to snuffle inside. “Wait!” she held out a pudgy digit the same way one would direct a pet dog. Needless to say the too-fluffy-Tundra didn't obey and tried again. “Okay, look,” she sighed defeatedly as a bag of dried apricot slices was retrieved, “you can have these. Just please stop climbing on me.”

No sooner had it been opened did the fruity contents all but vanish as the furry boy devoured it all. A second bag was tossed to him as he began to pine for more, this one lasting just as long. And yet still he keened.

“We'll have to resupply a lot sooner than expected.” Hyacinth remarked, settling between the two girls and reaching for a box of bean beetles. Managing to balance the feisty Fae in one hand he used the other to open the box and offered the dead insects to the hatchling, who took one and began chewing around the carapace. “At least this one's a more dignified eater.” he chuckled, popping the rest into his own mouth before picking up some more.

“I hope Flufflepuff there doesn't only eat plants as well.” Iris commented as she was handed the last bag of apricot for the Tundra girl. “Otherwise we won't have anything for this one.” As she opened the bag to let the fluffy baby feed the Mirror flinched as a loud grumbling sounded from her own stomach. Crests flattened against her skull and she turned away to finish feeding the Tundra, grimacing.

“Sounds like someone else needs feeding.” Zinnia commented with more than a hint of amusement in her words. When the Plague dragon didn't look back the Bogsneak sighed, taking out a bundle of jerky and holding it out. “Here, take- what the?!”

All three of them stared in surprise as the now definitely-not-a-Tundra attempted to chomp down on the dried meat. Tundras did not eat meat. The fact that he was even remotely interested suggested a completely different diet or desperation through starvation. And he was not starving.

“Uhh.” Zinnia blinked, still processing this fact. “Good thing we have a lot of fish?” She managed sheepishly to Iris, allowing the carnivorous hatchling the jerky and offering fish cakes to Iris instead.

“I'm just trying to think what dragon species favour both plants and meat.” the Mirror replied, distractedly missing the proffered provisions as she kept staring at the baby.

“Well, I do...” the Bogsneak coughed. “But that is not a Bogsneak.”

Once again both pairs of eyes landed on Hyacinth as they awaited his wisdom. “I told you already, the only thing that makes any kind of sense in even the smallest manner are the Gaolers of myth!” the Light-borne squawked, waving his free hand quickly to ward them off. In the other the off-white Fae found the gesture funny and amused herself in trying to grab at the fast-moving fingers.

“How about we call it a Gaoler then?”

They stared at the fuzzy lump as he yawned, belly finally full, revealing a mix of sharp and flat teeth. Tundras possessed long canines, this is true, but only the one set and used only for fighting. That was definitely the maw of a creature that ate meat as well as plants.

“I got nothing better.” Iris shrugged, letting the Tundra go and watching her snuggle up against her ersatz sibling.

“I have no complaint.” Hyacinth agreed, placing the Fae to join the other two youngsters. “Better than not having any means to address it. Which leads to the question of naming them.”

After a moment of watching the three form a pile of fluff and wings Zinnia asked, “Any thoughts Mag?” No doubt she'd be good at coming up with something for them. But there was no response. “Maggie?”

They all looked back at the base of the windmill.

The Ridgeback was gone.

Next Chapter

Last edited by Varethyn on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

^ RP is available!

Day 10

More art! Today, Iris joins the team!

Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.