An Ill Wind Blows (Side Pinkerlocke) - COMPLETE

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Re: An Ill Wind Blows (Side Pinkerlocke)

Unread post by Ana »

Heh see what you done now Lupis :P :lol: :hug:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

NOOO I HAD TO SAY IT oh my god that's SUCH AWFUL TIMING

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

ImageImage

One last trinket in waiting plus a new one today. So much art. Have proof that I didn't forget about these two.

ImageImage

Kinda gave up partway through due to catching a cold but I'm kinda happy with how Plumeria's eyes turned out.

Inventory/Notes: Breed/Gene x11

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Really love your art hun!

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Rolled Zinnia, Acacia and Allium

Went straight to Sandswept Delta since they were close in level and once again they handled all 30 rounds with ease. It got scary when the group of three serthis potionmasters came up, since both Acacia and Allium are weak to Light, but for some reason they kept targeting Zinnia when they got the chance to attack. The group even went a few extra rounds as Acacia and Allium were both close to levelling at the end.

Zinnia is lv12 and Acacia and Allium are both lv11.

Notable drops:

Notable notes:

Winds of Change is basically at its end short of a merger so I will no longer be using that team for coliseum prompts. I am also doing away with my breed/gene stockpile. I simply don't have the funds to apply them all and instead will be redeeming them to fully gene a dragon or so at the end of this story. Right now I'm looking at Lupin and Ayaz since they're reader favourites and may join the next story (Vin would be there too but I'm happy with him as is) but if anyone would like to see a particular dragon fully gened (should I get the funds or, if you're feeling particularly generous, gifted scrolls) then please leave your thoughts.

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Flipped Tails - nothing happened.

Rolled Allium, Acacia and Aster

I foolishly took them all to Sandswept Delta thinking they'd be fine. Got a pack of Scalebacks and focused down the wrong type; the iridescent one got enough breath to use an elemental move on Allium, 1HKO'ing them after 7 rounds.

Now, I'd like an honest opinion here (though I think I already know the answer): while it has been over a week since the last time, Allium has been KO'd several times including during a death streak before I'd decided KO's during streaks are deaths regardless. Should they be killed/removed from the 'locke given all this or say heck to it an let them live?

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Flipped Heads
Rolled Gardenia, Hyacinth and Allium.

Well, it doesn't matter now that no one said anything for the last post. Gardenia is 3 levels behind Allium, who is level 10 with Hyacinth sitting at level 9. That meant Sandswept Delta. 3 rounds in Gardenia is struck by a super-effective 1HKO from a serthis alchemist. And like I said last time and before that, I changed it so KO's in a Death Streak are deaths regardless. No saving throws, no Badly Wounded, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Gardenia is dead. The centaur she was given was moved to Allium.

If anyone wants to adopt her let me know. Orchid is also still around but both will be exalted by the next chapter.
ImageImage

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

I feel like you guys are as fed up with this and me as I am. I can't wait to start over with a new formula and rules.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Never fed up with you hun :hug:
Sorry I haven't commented more but RL been a nest. Hubby been in and out of hospital and is getting a pacemaker operation in February. Plus lot of stuff with the munnicipal system.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

ImageImage

Chapter 23

It had been quite some time since she'd emerged from the thick, twisted trees that housed her old clan. It had been quite some time since leaving the comforting, cool shade of the vast boughs and the warmth of her old lair. It hadn't been so bad when she first stepped into the light of the world outside. And yet it still blinded her eyes and burnt her dappled hide. Simply travelling the last weeks without a strong wind to carry her had been tough. While it was obvious enough to walk by starlight in the waning hours between day and dark, and indeed she had done so, few non-Shadow Flight members were keen to stay up that late. So if she needed to converse with someone, trade for supplies or ask for ideas Acacia had been forced to walk during the times the sun was at its highest and most brutal.

Starting early had allowed the Guardian some time to adjust however, and she was always looking for ways to become stronger. Even now as she watched the children of the Wind dancing and singing and playing in the sky now that the winds had returned she had opted to lounge in the shadow of the inn rather than wait inside. Thankfully the starry pattern around her deep purple eyes coupled with the helm that graced her head helped to break up the light somewhat, making it that much less bothersome.

Suddenly there was a commotion. A shout. Someone exclaimed about a fire. Just as quickly as they'd started the festivity ended, joyous dances as the Windborne dragons relished the return of their element ground to a halt as instead they fluttered down to gather and stare in shock at the roiling black clouds building in the distance. It had been one of them, a Spiral who had flown higher and further out than most, who had first spotted it and raised the alarm. Now every inhabitant of Saltwind Heights had gathered at the edge of the town to bare witness to the threat.

As Acacia lumbered over, keeping as best to the shady spots as her larger form would allow, there was a snarky comment from a Fireborn that was quickly snuffed out. It was followed by more whispers, more murmurings as panicked rumours began to fly amongst them. “I knew something was wrong!” Someone called out from the middle of the group. “The Twisting Crescendo is spinning the wrong way! Sornieth is doomed!” A ripple of complaint as those around the doomsayer made, mostly baseless, attempts to correct him. Others began to chatter worriedly about the implications. Were they really doomed? Was the world ending with the reversed storm?

“What is the Twisting Crescendo?” A small voice ahead of her piped up, gaining the attention of the Skydancer that was part of the group she planned to travel with from here. The voice belonged to possibly the tiniest adult Fae Acacia had ever seen, perched on the broken antler of one of two very curious dragons the likes of which she'd never seen before. Yet the group had been greatly accepting of them to the point that it didn't bother them at all. A thought for another time as the reply was given.

“I fear there isn't time enough to explain in detail.” The Skydancer said as he returned his attention to the smoke on the horizon. Indeed given how thick and voluminous the gathering clouds had become the fires must have been great and spreading fast. Although it had been an odd question. Who didn't know about the eternal storm? Well. Maybe 'eternal' was the wrong term nowadays. Another thought for another time.

Craning her long neck over to join the trio Acacia inquired, “Should we assist?” When all of them were looking at her she continued, “My Shadow magic will be able to smother the flames and I believe your Tundra companion is blessed by the Tidelord. Together we may be able to push it back.”

The Skydancer, Hyacinth, tapped a spindly finger to his lips thoughtfully as he reviewed the situation. A cluster of other dragons had already broken off to hold back the blaze, of which the first licks of fire could already be seen over the rise. It was spreading faster than expected, fed by the new direction of the Crescendo's pull. “I'd say we should, yes.” He said at length, likely debating the safety and relevance of such an act. Turning to the Fae and not-Tundra the birdlike dragon told them, “Go find your sister. We need to do something about this.” Then specifically to the not-Tundra, “I expect you want to help out as well, Lupin, but you may want to stay back for this one. You as well, Allium.”

Lupin, as his name apparently was, nodded slowly, turning his head and giving Acacia a good view of dark green eyes befitting a Natureborn between the long locks of his equally dark green mane. That explained Hyacinth's instruction for the odd dragon to not join in. For all of how a dragon's body may be built their magical essence reacted with the natural ones of the world. Such as why a Water Tundra would be beneficial in a fiery mess such as this despite their long, flammable fur when a Guardian of Ice, with their smooth scales, would want to avoid it for fear of overheating. Then again, the not-Tundra's fur definitely looked as flammable as his birth element. Double the reason, then.

“What will you do?” the star-speckled Guardian asked Hyacinth after Lupin and his tiny passenger had vanished amongst the panicking throng.

“I shall first deliberate with the leader of this clan,” Hyacinth explained, motioning with his long head back towards the village, “to see how he wishes to deal with all of this. Then I shall aid any who receive injuries in the fight.”

“Ah, healer?” She nodded respectfully at his one of confirmation and the reveal of his medical supplies hidden beneath his robes. “Very good.” It was shortly after the exchange that the pastel actual-Tundra arrived alongside the previous two. Acacia and Hyacinth explained what was needed of her, their directions becoming soft and reassuring as she became more and more distressed by what was expected of her.

The not-Tundra, Lupin, reached down to rub his cheek against hers. “You'll be fine, Gardie.” Pulling back he offered the smaller dragon a small smile. “Just do what you did when we needed water after running from Amaranth that time.” Sounded like this group had more stories to tell than she first assumed. 'Gardie' looked up at the brown dragon, fear filming her blue eyes with a thin layer of tears.

“But there's so much.” It was no exaggeration; the flames were leaping high into the air now as the cinders caught in the breeze landed in the dry grass, set it alight, birthed new patches of flame that chased the winds as they blew towards the village. An unnatural heat was blowing in from the south-east. If nothing was done soon it would be upon them.

“Hey, look over there!” The clicking of claws on basalt filled the sooty air as Verbena excitedly ran up and down the length of the dark stony lip, jabbing a finger at what should have been a field of green grass.

She and the weird Fae had hopped from place to place to learn new things, but really unless they went in a very specific, and dangerous, direction most of the Ashfall Waste appeared largely the same. Cool as the volcano was from where they stood at the bottom of it hostile creatures had made their home around the vents leading up to it. Neither she nor Plumeria were particularly keen on taking them one just for some sight-seeing. At least, for Verbena to sight-see. It had taken far too long for the excitable Wildclaw to realise the small Arcane dragon was blind, her eyes crystallised at birth by the magical energies of the Starfall Isles. For all the talk the speckled grey Wildclaw did, however, one didn't need eyes to see when every minute description was painted for them in words.

In this case the pair and their familiars had made it, with the aid of several clans who only really let them in to shut Verbena's rambling up, to the very edge of the invisible border that separated Fire from Wind. So much green! So much... what were those? Plumeria called them 'trees' and 'flowers'. The flowers she could understand, after all her first jewelcraft project had been of a flower. Or what a drawing of a flower would look like when made of carved mineral. Crudely. Did it actually look like a flower? She'd discarded it after all. The only plant life in Fire territory was dull or dead. Black, charred husks of what once were trees and even then only found on the outskirts. Sometimes something colourful popped up. Blink, though, and some herbivore would have pounced on it. And then it was gone. But here, here! A carpet of actual, living grass and actual, living, possibly flowers and animals that weren't black and orange lizards (though those things were tasty) and just... colour!

Except this one was also full of fire. More fire. Why was she so interested in more fire after all the griping she'd done about this boring place? Because it wasn't meant to be there, that's why. You don't have grass and flowers and trees and fire. It just didn't work. Unless it was a camp or bonfire, she supposed idly. Still, this was far too big to be either of those. Unless the inhabitants liked to use entire forests as bonfires. So naturally the Wildclaw's curiosity was piqued.

The only thing that stopped her from rolling about in it all was the ravine. Well, not her specifically. With the new winds picking up the raptor-like dragon could easily spread her large, purple wings, jump and be carried over. Even while carrying Spangle. Likewise Plumeria could do the same with a little guidance. Heck she could ride on her, too.

No it was Achike, Plumeria's blue dragon reef snail. If it hadn't been for him the two would have made so much more progress to... wherever they were going. Nowhere really. Anywhere. Anywhere but here. See, the thing about snails is that they're not fast. Like, at all. And Plume was happy to ride on his shell. This was where things had gotten especially awkward for Verbena, who had to run circles around the Fae and her snail in order to burn off energy while she waited for them.

And now he caused another issue. Snails don't exactly fly. They don't jump, either. The only time you see one in the air is because it fell or was being carted off by a bird. And you'd need a big bird to pick up this big boy. This big... slimy boy.

“How exactly did you get Archie here anyway?” Verbena asked, as if they'd been having this conversation while she'd been enamoured by the distant disaster. All this time and she'd never thought to ask.

“Achike.” Corrected Plumeria, her facial fins splayed and vibrating while her neck frills wavered up and down in the Fae way of expressing humour. Though one side hung lower than the other, belying the mild frustration of her familiar constantly being misnamed. “We met in a cave connecting the Water, Light and Lightning regions en route to Fire. I thought him a delightfully cool boulder on which to perch in an otherwise warmer climate than I am accustomed.” She chuckled in her odd, toneless way. “It wasn't until the sounds around me changed and I found my food supplies lower that I realised the mistake.”

“And you ended up sticking together since?” Verbena was rocking on her heels as she peered over at the neighbouring land, more interested in getting over there to see what was up than the conversation she had started.

“I enjoyed the slow pace and he appreciated the food I gathered.” Was the simple reply. Acutely aware of her companion's impatience the gem-eyed Fae then asked, “What can you see? The air smells cleaner yet still the ash of your lands clog my nose and I can hear the distant rushing of water.”

Clicking her sickle-claws the speckled raptor tilted her head as a description formed. “Uh well. It's more grass, longer that what we saw before, and there's a lot of different flowers here. It keeps going to the horizon with lots of trees poking up here and there. The closer ones are kinda small but the get bigger as they go further. And I mean big! Like twice as tall or more as the ones I told you about earlier.” Carefully picking her way over the lip again Verbena crouched the examine the gap dividing the lands. “And there's this big crack in the ground that goes waaaaay down. It's dark but I think the water's down there.”

“A ravine.” Verbena guessed Plumeria was considering their options as well at that revelation. “How wide is it? Is it wider than Achike is long?”

“Um... it's thin enough here that us two can jump over.” The Wildclaw explained, continuing to judge the distance. “Buuuut I don't think Archie-

“Achike.”

“-Achie can reach it.”

“Are you certain?”

Frowning at the question Verbena padded to the giant snail's side, used her arms to measure roughly how long he was where he sat blowing snot bubbles at her, ran over to the gap with her arms still held out and hopped, flapped, landed on the other side, hopped, flapped, landed back on the Fire side. “Yeah no, it's wider than he is long.”

“It didn't sound far.” Tapping the rubbery neck of her familiar to spur him on Plumeria guided Achike to where the taller dragon waited.

“It's farther than it-” The argument was cut short as the blue snail slithered to the very edge, wafting his whiskers and eye stalks ahead of him. Keeping his tail (was it a tail? Snails were basically one giant, slimy foot with a shell right?) firmly planted he began to stretch out over the divide. Verbena boggled at the sight as Achike effectively doubled in length, his surprisingly stretchy body clearing the ravine with ease. Except...

“Okay so now we have a very slimy bridge.” Verbena groused, putting her hands on her (annoyingly substantial) hips as she observed the motions. “How does he get his butt over?”

As if he were listening Achike began to draw his body in on itself, pulling his back end towards the opening. As his 'belly' began to sag under the weight of his own shell Plumeria flitted off, hovering over his head at the other side as she gingerly stroked his sensitive whiskers. Then, alarmingly, he let go, letting his hind half dangle over the abyss below. Despite herself Verbena sucked in a breath of horror, only to blow it out as the snail casually pulled himself up and over.

“...okay.” Verbena conceded, staring as Fae and snail reunited on new ground. Achike made burbling noises as Plumeria petted him rewardingly for his little trick.

“So what else did you see?” Hoisting herself back into place on her familiar's back Plumeria pushed the previous subject. Verbena, collecting up a rather confused Spangle who kept running up and down the length of the rocky outcropping as it failed to compute a way over for itself, hopped back to the other, grassier side and watched the trails of smoke drifting into an otherwise cloudless sky.

“Fire.” She murmured, thinking back on her musings as to why it was there.

Behind her the Fae sceptically asked, “Fire? Did you not seek to escape your birth element? I suppose it shouldn't be too much of a surprise to follow that which you are familiar with; I myself have been intrigued by the Arcane dabblings of those mages who did not turn away from me so quickly but we have only now just crossed out of the lands of the Flamecaller. Why so soon?”

“Because it shouldn't be there.”

“And why not? What about this field is so different from the others we passed?”

Again Verbena contemplated her new surroundings. It wasn't that it had been multiple different fields they had passed. In truth it had all been the same one with its golden-green grasses and assorted plants and living trees. That wasn't too easy to describe however and even as she thought on it she wondered if the field had been split at some point, making it a separate one after all. Shaking her crested head in annoyance at the change of thought the Wildclaw explained, “It's a new fire. Nothing around it is burnt like my home is. If you want to contain a fire you use rocks. This fire is going everywhere!” Narrowing her eyes and jumping on top of a large boulder fallen from a spire on the Firelands side Verbena added, “Wait... there's buildings over there! And the fire's heading straight for it!”

Trapped beneath the fallen log Gardenia could do nothing but watch the fire spread, attempting to extend up into the branches of the thick trees and eventually engulf everything in a furious blaze. The tree was singed and blackened by the flames, the dense strands of its wood breaking off like petals from a flower. Twigs of pine and cedar flew from the branches of the tree and into the air as the flames spread out of control.

There had been a stampede of animals of all kinds, the snorting, squealing mass cutting her off from the Shadow Guardian and the others she'd come out here with in attempt to stop the flames from reaching Saltwind. Very briefly between efforts it had been explained that the Twisting Crescendo was the result of the sparring between Windsinger and Tidlord, her deity and who blessed her with her magic. For some reason it had dissipated for a few months only to come back again, spinning the other way. Before now it drew in the cold air of the Southern Icefields, keeping the land temperate. Now it sucked in the hot air from the Firelands. It was through this that cinders and embers spat from the great volcano that sat as monument to the Fire flight were drawn in, settling in areas that should not have been touched by them. Now, woefully unprepared, the dragons of the Windswept Plateau battled against something they'd never thought would happen.

Gardenia had been doing well despite her fears and uncertainty. Flanked by dragons she did not know and forced to leave those she did behind due to them being sensitive to great heats it had taken a lot to get her to bring about her magic let alone cast anything. It had been more of a frustration than bravery that spurred her into creating her own jet of enchanted water to douse the flames but that first action redoubled her courage, allowing her to effectively aid the others.

Then the stampede happened. The alarm was sounded ahead of time but no one knew which way to go. Acacia went one way. The residents of Saltwind went another. No time to decide. Gardenia had thrown herself forwards randomly, cowering in the roots beneath a thin tree, keeping her head down and body tucked in as far as it would go. In her hollow the animals managed to miss her for the most part. A few clips of hooves on her horns, her wings, her tail. Nothing much. At least it didn't feel like much. It was the fire that was the real enemy.

Uncomfortably hot within her own fur the Tundra was desperate to get away and cool off. Water. She needed water. But she could not feel it, the flames had evaporated it all. No droplets hung in the stifling air, no hidden puddles waited underfoot. With nothing to access Gardenia had no choice but to get out of there. Forcing herself to her feet, however, spooked something within the stream of ungulates storming past her. A bleat of panic. Something large hit her cover.

There was a crack, a splintering. She'd looked up in time, wide eyed, as the tree collapsed on top of her, pinning her to the charred earth. Ringing filled her ears. Stars filled her eyes. Ash filled her nostrils. Pain shot through every inch of her furry body.

A cry. Someone had seen her. “I've got you!” It was hard to tell who it was through her muddied senses but it seemed familiar. Something large lowered a great head, butted the log. No. Something hard slid past her side. Then the weight was lifted as the creature raised its head, rumbling with the effort. Hands on her forelegs, someone dragged her out. The tree crashed behind her.

The figure who saved her coughed. “H-hey, are you o-*cough* okay?” Gardenia shook her head, instantly regretted it as the pain flooded into her skull. “Yo, medic-guy! We need your help over- Oh Windsinger, is that what I think it is?” Suddenly Gardenia was alone again as the figure took off to a spot nearby. “Is anyone nearb-*cough* nearby enough to-*cough cough* help out? Hello?! Wisteria?! Anyone?!”

Wisteria...? That was the name of the Coatl right? Then was this Orchid? The Nocturne? Groggily the Tundra rolled onto her feet, hacked up the soot that had gathered in her mouth. Through blurry vision she saw her, the batlike dragon, pulling at another fallen figure. What was it? Should... shoul
d she help? Ambling over a few steps the heat forced Gardenia to stop again. It felt like someone had placed a hot, thick blanket over her. She pulled at the neck of the cape she was wearing, one of her more successful attempts at tailoring. The edge was nowhere near her throat yet she felt strangled. She undid the clasp, let it fall off. If anything it made the heat worse.

Then there was a loud trumpeting sound that shook her eardrums. The greattusk. Orchid's familiar. Dizziness sent her to the trampled ground again. So hot. So thirsty. Voices too muffled to understand was the last thing she heard as Gardenia slipped into unconsciousness.

I would like to adopt you as my Charge.”

“What? Why?”

“My mate's... Amaranth's Charge was a Water egg before she... I can't be certain you are from that egg but you remind me so much of her. I don't feel a pull towards you as I did my previous Charge so it is hardly imperative that you answer me quickly.”

“I... I don't know. I'll need to think about it.”

“Take your time.”

Hours passed. Soon the combined efforts of all the dragons of Saltwind Heights had pushed back the wildfires. While they yet raged on the village and its inhabitants were safe. Though not without cost. Without a proper healing den or hospital the inn found itself crammed with those who suffered the worst of the catastrophe: Those who were most sensitive to the heat and those injured while fighting the blaze.

As promised Hyacinth flitted from room to room, offering his services as both a medic and a healer, using means magical or physical where necessary or preferred. After binding Acacia's arms in bandage, held up by gauze, from where she'd charged in after hearing Djembe's calls, it was unsurprising that he lingered in the next room.

Gardenia's room.

She'd come in giddy and weak, now lay struggling to breathe, her breathing shallow. Whenever she awoke the Tundra could not tell where she was or who was with her, eventually passing out again. At first the blame had been put on her breed's short memory coupled with high levels of stress. Then she began vomiting profusely, occasionally suffering fits of spasms that left her exhausted. The more it went on and the worse she got it became clear what it was that was afflicting her.

Heat stroke.

Wisteria had slipped in beside the Skydancer, offering what meagre aid she could. Where had she been during it all? Hiding. Huddled within the clan walls as everyone else acted on the threat. Even Orchid. Now the guilt-ridden Coatl went from place to place, room to room to do something, anything to help. Even if it were as simple as flapping her wings to bring in cool, clean air for Gardenia. Outside the coolness was supplied by Magnolia, her 'dirt' revealed to be the beginnings of a dark, feathery pattern growing in, as she froze packs of water to be applied to burns and help bring temperatures down. As she pumped Hyacinth placed some of these ice packs in strategic places on the Tundra's body, then took out a stethoscope.

“Will... Is she going to be okay?” All the flamboyance, all the haughty, stuck up character she'd held before had slipped away like the rivulets of water trickling through Gardenia's fur as the ice melted. Hyacinth sight, removing the earbuds. Hadn't he effectively raised her? And the Fae, Allium, and the frea- The Gaoler, Lupin? A feeling like someone had grabbed her throat gripped Wisteria. She had no business using such an insult. Never had. He was different, that's all. Same with the green one, Merry. There was no need for such thoughts here. “I cannot say.” She jumped slightly. After all she and Orchid had done the Coatl had not expected anyone to want to talk to her, so Hyacinth's response came as a surprise.

“What do you mean?”

“Her heartbeat is too rapid.” Hyacinth explained, fixing her with a worried look then turning back to his patient. “It's not safe. If she'd been out there as long as Orchid said she'd been...” He hefted another sigh, locking his golden eyes to her pink ones. When she did not respond with more than a puzzled stare he added, “It could cause complications to her brain, and maybe her other organs. It's treatable but there's a chance she'll suffer brain damage or even...” Suddenly he found something more interesting on the floor between their feet. “Unless she wakes up cohesively, it is inconclusive.”

Her wingbeats slowed as she contemplated this information. It was hardly her fault, yet by hiding away and letting everyone else do all the work she felt the smallest she'd ever been in all her life. Considering she often saw herself bigger than everyone else, that was a lot. Even Orchid had gone to help. Even a pair of complete strangers had rushed in to help.

She could hear the Wildclaw and new Fae talking outside, the former excitedly retelling the adventure she literally just had. Yet it what was said was true then those two couldn't have come at a better time. Who would have thought a giant snail would be so useful?

Hyacinth had said something. What? She hadn't heard. He wasn't looking at her though so it probably didn't involve her. Then he motioned for her to stop, readjusted the ice packs and ushered them both out so Gardenia could rest. He pressed on to the next room, the next patient. As he did Orchid flew the opposite direction. The Nocturne flashed a sad smile as she passed her former partner, disappearing into a far room. Soon after her voice floated out as she attempted to cheer up whoever was inside.

Ignoring the hails of the speckled Wildclaw Wisteria padded outside, tuned out everything around her as the last thing Orchid said before starting her new rounds whirled in her mind.

<I'm sorry Wisteria, but I'm going to stay here.>

Aghast Wisteria had rounded on her Nocturne companion. <Stay? Here? As in here, here? Not with those travellers like we'd discussed?>

Orchid shook her head. <I realised something when I was helping bring the Tundra and centaur back->

<
Why did you bring a centaur back anyway?>

A frown. <Because she was hurt, too. Anyway, when I was helping bring them back I found myself talking to them, playing my instruments a little. I don't know if she could understand me but she calmed down. So I did the same with some of the other guys here and... Wist, I want to be a nurse's assistant. I want to help cheer up and tend to those who are sick or injured.>

A chill ran down the Coatl's spine as the previous night inserted itself rudely into her mind. <...It's only temporary, right?> Why was she so desperate about this all of a sudden? <You only mean until this is over, then you're coming with me again, right?>

Lost in her thoughts as she was Wisteria failed to notice Aster until she'd almost bumped into him. Lifting his head to give her a sullen look the Coatl considered going elsewhere. After all, he was the one who caught them, the one who insisted they be brought to justice. But he'd also lost his Charge twice. Unexpectedly he shuffled to one side, allowing her space to join him.

She did.

The winds had indeed changed. For the worse. He'd lost his first Charge and mate and then the one he'd offered to protect as his new one. Just like she'd lost her clan and partner. No. not just a partner. A friend. Her only friend.

This revelation sat like falling soot and choking smoke on her tongue. Bitter and acrid.

This was not the change she'd wished for.

Next Chapter

ImageImage
Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Soo well written soo many feelings. . Gotta get my voice to not break when I read it to Vicky later

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Chapter 24

Gardenia passed away during the night. It was expected if no less painful for it. In her brief moments of consciousness the Tundra did not respond to any kind of stimuli. Not of sight, nor scent, nor taste, nor touch. Even though, through everyone's efforts, her condition had stabilised – heart rate and temperature brought to a normal level – the damage had been done. Not even the faces of her siblings, their voices or those of the others, nor the taste of her favourite sugarmelon roused her from her stupor.

With great difficulty Hyacinth gave the order to end her treatment. If she came to she came to, if she did not then... well.

Her lifeless body was found the next morning, Tidelord Himself appearing to grieve for His lost daughter as the murky, ash-clogged clouds above split apart to send tears of air and water cascading heavily into the scorched earth below. All at once it was a blessing, a curse and a message. The fires lessened first to a simmer, then were forced to hide within the broken husks of the trees they had destroyed, then finally sent skyward as wispy tendrils of steam and smoke. If one looked closely they could make out newborn gyres, the birdlike creatures dancing in the vapour.

With the help of the Saltwind clan it was decided to give Gardenia a burial suited for a Water dragon: a rickety yet well put together raft of driftwood was lashed together with salt-stained rope and decorated with seashells. Everything used was scavenged from the beach and it was from this beach that she was set adrift, laid peacefully upon the makeshift platform as it carried her out into the ocean. Water seeped in through the cracks, the raft sinking slowly under the Tundra's weight. Soon it sunk below the surf. Soon Gardenia was taken to the bottom of the sea.

All of the Saltwind clan had joined the group in seeing her go, they and the travellers gathered along the gravelly beach to watch. Even Wisteria and Orchid were there, though they sat a little away from the main group, as well as the newcomers Verbena and Plumeria. In the silence that followed save for the pattering of rain on sand, sea, stone one by one they trickled slowly away. One by one until only the travellers remained. Watching the waves, the ripples. Hoping deep inside that their friend and daughter would resurface, spluttering for air and calling for help. Hoping it was a mistake.

Nothing happened. She never came up.

A couple of small, blunt faces trailing long, sodden hair poked up, startling them. They shouted at them in a language they didn't understand, clearly upset by something. A nearby fisher-dragon trotted over, calling out in the strange words and waving until the heads vanished. She turned to them. “Sorry fer that. Them Maren don't like it when us dragons use 'their' waters and was tellin' ya off fer litterin'. Had ta explain we was sending off a lost sister like. They un'erstood that thankfully. Los' enough o' their own ta get it.”

The group simply nodded their thanks, grief swelling their tongues and clogging minds and throats alike. The fisher nodded back grimly, pushed out a small boat adorned with various tackle and let the current pull her out into the greyed waves.

It was the flecked Wildclaw, Verbena, who spoke up first, clearing her throat and rubbing the back of her long, thin neck. “Sorry but... should we head back up now? I don't mean to sound insensitive or anything but we're going to drown in all this rain if we keep sitting here.” Her voice, while lightly raspy from her time in the Firelands and for all the constant gabbing she'd done since her arrival the previous day, was surprisingly soft and quiet. Death had not been the first thing she'd expected to see since crossing into the unknown.

Breaths of varying strength escaped each dragon as each fought to steady themselves. Aster, in particular, looked ready to lay in the stony sand and stay there. With a few mumbles between one another, a few nudges of coercion and a lot of sniffling from Allium and Lupin they managed to find their feet and trudge, slowly, towards the lift that would bring them to the clifftop where the village sat. Slowing their paces Lupin, and by extension Allium as they sat on their favourite perch, and Aster paused to cast one last longing gaze out to sea.

A tugging at his side caused the Gaoler to glance down. It was Willow, the dryad looking worse for wear after so many trees perished in the blaze. Thankfully theirs was much farther away so they were unharmed, but it clearly affected them regardless. Wordlessly they lifted a tan arm to point at the sky, at a break in the clouds. As if on cue they split apart. Like a great, orange flower the sun's rays bloomed from their rain-laden prison, lighting up the world, showering glitter upon the water. While rain continued to fall Lupin managed a small smile, catching the faint gasp from his Fae sibling above as they grasped the message his familiar was trying to impart on them both.

Hope.

Gravity's pull somehow felt stronger the next few days. Everyone seemed weighed down by something; whether the wildfire, the loss of Gardenia or some other personal issue. Even those Wind dragons who had returned to the overcast skies to resume the celebration of the winds' return appeared more sluggish in their dances.

The weather fluctuated between sunny, overcast, drizzle and back again, taking the dragons' moods along for the ride. No one knew how to feel for long; there were times of joy such as the feeling of hope and continuation Lupin, Allium, Willow and Aster had felt after the burial, times of sorrow as memories flooded back of their time with Gardenia, times where emotions seemed not to exist at all as they took life slowly. Day by day. Healing, like Acacia's burns.

Likewise healing was the centaur Orchid had discovered in her attempt to save the late Tundra. She, too, had suffered heatstroke. She, however, pulled through. Once coherent enough to hold a significant conversation in surprisingly fluent draconic the brown-pelted centaur introduced herself as Peryle – a rather ironic name given the situation she found herself in – and that she had been sent from a clan hidden deep in the Tangled Woods.

Hadn't that been where Acacia had come from, too?

The two did not know one another, though they appeared to recognise each other's names to an extent. Peryle had been sent from clan Shal'anir after hearing of the Twisting Crescendo's disappearance. It had already been delayed for other reasons, including a certain Guardian setting out on her Search, with a local gang of known serthis waylaying her further. Between navigating the forests, fighting off greedy Beastclan seeking to steal the pack she was to deliver and then the freak wildfires Peryle had, much to her shame, lost a good amount of what was inside. Nonetheless, once she was well enough to do so, the centaur addressed the group of travellers as her recipients, handed over the supply pack and read aloud the message tucked within:

While grateful for this gift the food was instead donated to the Saltwind clan for their hospitality while the remaining potions were stashed in Hyacinth's medical bags. No doubt they'd come in useful.

But something else appeared heavier than normal.

Around a week later, during their morning exercise routine, Hyacinth noticed something off about Iris. Helping her rotate her hind legs to keep them healthy the Skydancer couldn't help but inspect her abdomen. Was he seeing things or was her belly... bigger? When he asked the Mirror evaded the question by claiming to be putting on weight. In their moment of depression she had eaten a little more than usual, true. Not enough to show this much surely.

It wasn't difficult to break her however. After a little prodding the disabled dragon suddenly decided that he, and anyone who wanted to join them, should meet her best friend right now. Despite the invitation she set off the moment her straps were secured, Hyacinth having to almost run in order to keep up. Following the Mirror down the streets, avoiding the pedestrians perusing the markets as usual, he Skydancer found himself bemused to be standing outside the spa that she'd pointed out the first day they'd arrived in this place. Iris had invited him to check it out then, too. Did her friend work here?

Hesitating for a few beats Hyacinth finally racked up the nerve to push inside. Only to pull right back out as the thick scent of strong perfumes and shampoos greeted his senses. Taking a few minutes to regain his sense of smell, forcing down the urge to gag, he tried again. Once fully inside he was greeted by a blue Nocturne, adorned with filigree cut from the previously dangerous gembond disease both to keep it in check and make it more beautiful. Declining the offer to book an appointment to 'help ease the burden of stress he was carrying' the avian dragon kept his head down in attempt to avoid eye contact with the other staff members as he made his way over to where Iris was waiting.

The Mirror was talking hushed and hastily to a large yellow and purple Ridgeback sporting an impressive tattoo of fish along his side and arm. With the beautician being so large compared to the Skydancer it may as well have been a mural. He murmured something in return to Iris, nodding every now and again without looking away from the Pearlcatcher he was working on, her mane half rolled up in curlers as he worked the rest into a similar state. Once he did finish rolling the unruly hair into place the Ridgeback excused himself while they waited, beckoning Hyacinth into the back room as Iris wheeled meekly around to his side.

“Heeey man!” he drawled in an overly friendly manner once they were settled. “Hyacinth, right? L'il 'Ris was telling me all about you and your posse. Said she has something... important to tell us?” Here he nudged Iris with an elbow encouragingly, though she flushed red and turned away. Chuckling the Ridgeback reached a hand out to the waiting dragon. “Shears. Pleasure to meet ya.”

After a second of deliberation Hyacinth took the proffered hand, shaking it firmly. “Charmed.” Replacing his hand on the floor after adjusting his cowl he added, “It's good to meet someone Iris is comfortable with. When we first met her she barely wanted anything to do with anyone.”

Again Shears chuckled, Iris in turn covering her face with her paws in embarrassment. “Yeah? Another part of tryin' to be a 'true' Mirror huh, hun?”

“S-s-something like that...” A voice muffled by oil-coloured limbs responded awkwardly. It wasn't hard to tell this was making her incredibly uncomfortable.

“Well then Iris,” the Skydancer cut in before Shears could make further fun of his friend, “if you wouldn't mind explaining why we're here and what's going on?” Then after a thought, “Take your time if you need it.”

Shaking her head as it left the safety of her arms the Mirror stared balefully up at both of her best friends. “N-no. It's... it's fine. If I don't...” She stopped to take a breath, Shears placing a comforting paw on her back as she did so. “If I don't say it now I never will until it's too late.”

“'Too late'?” Hyacinth echoed, raising an eye ridge.

Taking another breath, releasing it and repeating a few times Iris, seeming to be fighting back tears, explained at length, “Cin, you asked earlier why I... why...” Again she grit her teeth, sucking in air like she'd been running all day. “Why... my belly looks bigger.” Overhead it was Shears' turn to draw in a sudden breath. Sounds like both boys were in the dark on this one. “I-i-it's... I came here... the first night. Cos I wanted to see Shears again when I realised he was working here. We... Back in our old clan, before I left to join an all-Mirror pack, we... were kinda close.” If she could move it Hyacinth imagined Iris would have been lashing her tail in agitation. “I left before we got anywhere. A-and it reignited here? I guess? I stayed the night with him... and... our magic... our essences...”

“You allowed your magical essences to combine?” Something broke in the Skydancer's chest at this realisation. She's just a patient. he scolded himself. A patient and a friend. Nothing more. It didn't stop the ache. He ignored it. “That's... quite the responsibility. Congratulations.” It had meant to be genuine. Yet the tiniest hint of bitterness coated the word. We are not close.

...Were they?

“Oh Iris, hun, that's great news!” With large paws and larger reach Shears swept the Mirror into his arms, squeezing her lightly in embrace. “Will they be coming soon? Oh I can't wait to see our children!”

Stop thinking this way. Stop thinking this way.

“Me neither.” There was a sadness in Iris' voice, all four of her eyes locking pleadingly to Hyacinth's two. Why? What did she want? His mind was whirling with a back-and-forth argument about how much he cared for her, if there had been more. Why else did his heart hurt to know she already had a life-mate? Were they even life-mates?

Then it struck him. How did a dragon who was half-paralysed lay eggs? A new panic rose in his own gut as he ran through all the complications this could cause. Could she do it? Would he need to operate and remove them? Would they survive?

Why is she having eggs with this brute?! “I suppose we can only wait and see.” Not a brute. Far from it. Stop it, stop thinking like this. “Needless to say, Iris, I'll be wanting to keep you under close observation.” He fixed her with so serious a look that made her squirm in Shears' grip. “If it did happen the day we arrived in Saltwind Heights then you could be ready to lay within the week.”

“So soon?” Even the Ridgeback was taken aback by this, placing the cart-bound Mirror back on the ground. Was that unease in his red eyes? Were any of them ready for this?

Was he ready for this?

“Will... will it really be any time now?” Iris' voice was strained, tears actively running down her cheeks. One arm wrapped around her bloated belly, her wings pressed tightly to her shoulders. She was scared. Not unreasonably so. It really was a huge undertaking to take care of hatchlings, especially in her condition.

Hyacinth nodded slowly. “The gestation period can be roughly a month, variable by species. Then a further week for the eggs to hatch.” Neither Iris nor Shears could bring themselves to say anything more at the time, the shock too great whether it be through fear or excitement or a mix of both. “I shall leave you two alone to think about this. Iris, I'll be at the inn when you're ready.”

Wordlessly she nodded, all but tying her arms around one of the Ridgeback's. Hyacinth nodded in kind, first at her then up at Shears, then retreated outside. As he went he took in the spa patrons as they relaxed in their various ways. Sprawled in a tub of an alarmingly coloured liquid. Lounging on a mat as another dragon pasted cream on their faces (were those slices of cucumber on their eyes?). Sitting on a stool or chair or coil-pole as they had their manes or claws tended to.

Maybe he would take up the receptionist's offer after all, the thought idly worming in amongst the tornado of others taking up his head space as he passed the Nocturne in question. Maybe. First, he really needed some fresh air. And maybe something strong to drink.

Next Chapter

Last edited by Varethyn on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

Poor Gardenia, I'm glad you gave her a nice sendoff and I feel it would be something to explore for the different elemental flights in how they put their dead to rest. :) These last two chapters were written wonderfully, and it's easy to tell that the end is nearly upon us for these two stories. Also, I love Verbena, her personality had me smiling as I read from her PoV.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I love the story so much and both excited and sad to see how it all ends

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Thank you both :hug: I am sorry for all the whining and complaining I've done; I really did want to be sure I'm giving you guys a good read. But yes I shall soon be introducing the two groups to each other, maybe have a few posts after to see how they fare with it, then it shall be the end of this session. I hope you've enjoyed it :hug:

Falcon: That's something I definitely want to explore! I did lightly touch on it in WoC when Vin buried Saira and hated it because she "should have been returned to the sky, not dumped in a hole in the ground" and again when Lupin grew flowers on Amaranth's grave. So having the opportunity to give Gardenia a semi Viking burial (with less fire) seemed fitting.

Since this is the 3rd material I've gotten in a row I treated it as a coliseum prompt. Rolled a 3 (30- 40 matches) and rolled Lupin, Hyacinth and Verbena.

They rocked the Sandswept Delta's world. 'nuff said.

Lupin and Verbena are now lv10 and Hyacinth lv11. I also treated Lupin to a gene at last cos he is best boy:

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

Not gonna lie, Saira's death absolutely killed me and made me stop reading for a while because I couldn't take it. I also feel bad for not speaking up to adopt her when I should have. :( I'm glad you plan on exploring it and I remember both of those! Poor, poor Aster, though, geez. How's he going to go on after losing two Charges? And Lupin looks amazing with phantom! *gently ruffles his mane*
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

As the fourth material in a row I chose to do a coliseum bout again. Rolled a 1 (10-20 rounds) and rolled Zinnia, Lupin (again) and Acacia

They rocked the Blooming Grove. Not much more to say here.

Notable drops:

I also chose to give Zinnia Skink, with another brewing for Verbena after a change of idea for her genes.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Both Lupin and Zinnia looks amazing!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Flipped Heads. Rolled Allium, Acacia (again - seriously, it loves rolling Acacia and Lupin lately, huh?) and Iris.

I'm getting very scared at how well everything is going. They destroyed Sandswept Delta. What close calls they had were easily healed through Sap alone.

Acacia is now lv11.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Chapter 25

Then the rains came.

The group (of whom Verbena had asked what they called themselves, something none of them had ever thought of) had planned to set out once Acacia's burns had healed enough for her to walk comfortably. Already a light shower was falling as they packed away the last of their supplies, prepared their last thanks and goodbyes to the clan who had so graciously hosted them. After all, a few drips weren't going to put them off.

Then the heavens opened in their fullest, the fine curtains becoming instead a torrential downpour. Reluctantly the departure was postponed until the next day.

Then the next. Then the next.

For coming on five days the rain kept coming, soaking the trampled earth now boggy underfoot and making ground-based travel treacherous and hindering flight with the severity of the rainfall. They were stuck. Even on days that seemed good enough to make a start, if slow, they were told to remain inside the clan walls; there had been talk of an enraged herd of pohips at a nearby grove downriver from Saltwind, the cause of their anger as yet unknown but nonetheless making it too dangerous to leave.

Then the eggs came.

Unable to detect the changes in her lower body Iris' first hint she was close to laying was a lingering restlessness, a desire to find a good place to dig out and build a nest in. Everywhere she checked out however she was shooed away for it was either someone's garden, the land above an underground burrow or sites marked out for future expansion. Surrendering the idea of having her own personal nesting area Iris allowed herself to be taken to the clan's hatching grounds.

Led by an overly happy Wildclaw who seemed to be more excited about the prospect of eggs than the Mirror herself was the pair followed a wide ridge a ways down from the mainland and large enough to comfortably support an Imperial around the cliff side. Low enough for privacy, high enough that the hatchlings would feel the wind beneath their wings the entire time, the caretaker explained far-too-happily. At least the rain had let up.

After a while of poking around, investigating the various nooks and caves and dug out hollows Iris settled on one that curved in on itself so that the nest proper was sheltered from unruly weather such as what they'd had to endure. Far too large for her alone she'd chosen it with the hopes that Shears would come in to visit, or at least so Magnolia could. Without waiting for the caretaker to stop gushing over new hatchlings the oily dragon set to work pulling out fresh, dry grass from a nearby storage silo with which to design her nest.

It felt strange using such life-giving, vibrant plants to lay on. A stark reminder that it was days long gone by that she'd have to dodge the oozing pustules and organ-like terrain of the Scarred Wasteland and all the horridness and dangers it would bring. Strange, yet oddly securing. As she worked to spread out the grasses her mind wandered to what the pups would look like. Mirrors? Ridgebacks? A mix of both? Green eyes? Red? ...Of course they'd be green, she berated herself. After all, it may have been her and Shears' magical essence that formed the eggs but it was the land's elemental essence that would imbue them. This was the land of Wind. Both she and Shears may both be of Plague but their offspring would not be. It was... all so very strange.

At his word, once he was allowed in, Hyacinth soared in to join Iris in setting up the nest. From her cart it had been awkward to reach out and set the grasses in a desired shape and thickness. Once satisfied, or rather made to accept that it'd do, Iris allowed the Skydancer to undo her straps, lift her gently into the centre and help her get as comfortable as she could be in her state. He could not help but stare at the bulge in her belly as he manoeuvred her into place. She wondered what might be going through his mind, guilt biting at her. They had been close. Not close close but definitely close. On another day, in another time maybe these eggs could have been theirs instead.

The wait began. The long, suspense-filled wait as she lay in her grassy mound, flung and kicked about until it formed a near-perfect circle around a near-perfect, freshly dug pit in the middle. It was here, with her back end settled in the straw-lined dip and front end draped over the edge, that Iris lay, panting from the build. She had her head turned shamefully away from Hyacinth, who was sat a short way away and tending to some fresh scratches on his arm. She had done that. She'd gotten frustrated, far more than she had any right to have, and lashed out at him as she pulled everything together. When he'd insisted it was fine she didn't agree,, didn't disagree, didn't ignore him or thank him.

She hurt him. Lost her temper in a way she never knew she could. Just because he 'got in the way'. He hadn't even gotten in the way. Despite it all and for all her shocked apologies the Skydancer had simply said that it was normal. Hormones, or something. Whatever it was Iris could not wait to be rid of it if it made her attack her own friends for no reason.

Every couple of hours or so the grey-furred dragon would help her back in the cart so they could wander up and down the ridge until she got tired, both for something to do and to get her mind off of things. Waiting was hard. Even without feeling whatever discomfort other egg-heavy females went through before laying. The first few trips were silent, her face flushed with shame for her actions. Then idle conversation. Then they sat companionably outside her chosen nest site.

Now and again the Wildclaw caretaker would pop her head in, offering both of them something to eat. Hyacinth in particular had been grateful for that since he refused to leave Iris longer than it took to relieve himself, refusing to switch places with the Wildclaw, other healers or even Orchid when she kindly dipped inside to see how they were doing. The Nocturne had been taking a lot of notes from Hyacinth's observations, took in all the equipment he'd brought with him and agreed enthusiastically whenever he asked something of her. Little things like making sure everything was in good supply along with more... delicate requests requiring female input.

It was not long after Orchid had said good night, heading back into the village for the evening after finishing a soothing melody to help ease Iris in both body and mind that pain filled all four of her wide, crimson eyes. They were coming.

Hyacinth was at her side in an instant, massaging her sides as he repositioned her hindquarters and giving her words of reassurance. Gasping and groaning through the pain Iris managed to prop herself up on her front paws, sinking slightly into the grass under her weight. If she could move it the Mirror would be lashing her tail like a whip. It didn't help when Hyacinth went quiet. Frills plastered against her skull she tentatively turned her head to see why.

He was staring wide-eyed at her back legs, holding back a look of panic. Catching her eye the blue-winged Skydancer retrieved a handkerchief to dab over his brow as he admitted, “I... I don't know what to do. I've never witnessed... egg laying before.” Oh. Oh Plaguemother, both of them were in the dark. And there was no time to learn; a convulsion shook her entire body, causing her to scream in agony as her insides twisted. Something moved, that was for sure.

Chancing another, shaky glance back at her friend she saw him fussing with the position of her legs, setting them in such a way that she almost was able to stand on her own by using the grass to support her ankles. Then, looping one arm under her waist for further support he stepped around to her side as he... lifted her tail? It made sense but... her face was really hot for some reason and she couldn't look at him any more. For what it was worth he looked as shy and awkward about it as she felt. Another bolt of agony immediately erased the thoughts, squeezing her eyes tightly shut, throwing her head back to shriek.

“Um... p-push!” Hyacinth blurted behind her, moving the arm looped under her to massage her underside in sweeping motions towards her tail. Of course that would be what he'd suggest. That was always the first thing to be suggested when a mother was laying. Regardless Iris forced her body to tense up, focusing her waning energies into her abdomen. Gritting her teeth so hard her jaws hurt she grunted and strained first simply to dislodge the objects inside her, then with renewed vigour as the effort and Hyacinth's motions caused the shifting to travel into the parts she could not feel.

Another gasp, this time from Hyacinth. “I can... I can see one!” His voice was a mixture of excitement and embarrassment, shaken from the work he found himself doing. He'd seen blood. He'd seen severe burns. He'd helped heal a great deal of devastating injuries in his quest to learn more, to mix magic with science and build towards prosthesis. Yet in all his study he'd never had to look between the back legs of a female Mirror – or any female dragon... or any dragon – or deliver eggs. Amused pity crossed Iris' creased face momentarily until she was racked with another wave of pain echoing up from her insides.

Then there was a sound. The sound of something hard hitting something soft. The sound of something round rolling in the grass. A tired yet excited smile replaced her snarl, but before she could get the chance to meet the egg that contained her child another convulsion took over her body, making her feel sick. Like she'd eaten something that disagreed with her. Once more the pattern resumed: her straining with all her available might to pass the second egg as Hyacinth encouraged and massaged her soothingly. She tried to focus on his awkwardness, how cute and funny it was. It helped a little, and after around an hour the second egg joined the first.

“What do they look like?” Too tired to check just yet Iris instead closed her main eyes to detect the heat signatures around her. Two balls of fire sat together in an orange circle bordered by greenish-yellow. The yellow-orange silhouette of a Skydancer lowered its head to observe them.

“As you'd expect.” It was simple, yet relieving to hear. “Pale green with hints of darker patterns. Typical of a Wind egg.”

Wait. “Pale?” Fear gripped her at the thought that something was wrong, imagining what Wind-imbued eggs she'd seen before. Glimpses in the other caves they'd passed to get to this one, of new mothers brooding over their clutches. Those eggs weren't pale.

The silhouette nodded, then he must have forgotten that she could see him this way as he stated thereafter, “Yes. Don't worry, it's normal.”

Iris snorted. “You sound confident for someone who's never dealt with egg laying before.

“Perhaps.” There was a hint each of offence and amusement behind his words. “But I do read. I may not have reached the section of my tomes that covers laying eggs but there have been many places discussing the nature of how they take their element.” A short pause, possibly he was recalling such a text. “'All eggs are pure white when first laid, then quickly take in the essence of the land they are in. Some develop patterns, others growths to protect them. Some float, others blend in.' Your eggs are pale green, indicating they're developing as intended.

“Thank whatever matters...” Iris breathed, ready to collapse. Except... “Why does it still hurt?” The convulsions had stopped, yet it felt like there was something else. She felt Hyacinth's hand rubbing her belly again, then freeze.

The sound of his voice sent her into panic again. “There... is another one.” It was high enough up that she could feel where he was prodding. Why did it feel different? “You need to keep going.”

What?! All the Mirror wanted to do was curl up around her two eggs and sleep the days away after the exertion it had taken. And now there was another? Could there.. could there be more? How did other mothers do this? They weren't paralysed for a start... “Please... I need to rest.”

Behind her Hyacinth breathed deeply through his nose, weighing the options. “I think it would be wise to keep trying,” he stated after a time, sending her crests downwards in exasperation. “However, you do not bare the same signs as with these. Maybe a small rest will help.”

She didn't need to be told twice. Allowing her front legs to buckle Iris toppled into the grass, taking the rest of her body with it. The third egg, if was a third egg, sent waves of complaint through her stomach. She ignored it when nothing else came of it. Slowly, sluggishly she used her front paws to drag herself around until her snout touched the smooth shell of one of the eggs. Something about the sight of it relaxed her. Reaching out she began to caress the closest, smaller one. Smaller. “Why are they different sizes?” It should be obvious but a cloud hung over her common sense, cruelly shrouding the answer.

“I hazard a guess,” Hyacinth began, settling down next to her, “that it's because Shears is a Ridgeback. Congratulations, you successfully had a mixed brood.”

Mixed... Iris had heard tell of mixed-breed broods favouring one parent or other. No one was sure why. Putting voice to her thoughts the Skydancer confirmed the existence of many arguments as to why. The breed that came first had priority. The last breed to be made had more powerful magical essence. Some breeds naturally took in magic to become powerful. Certain breeds specialised in breeding over others (this one made them both frown). It went on, with no dragons agreeing on any one solution. It didn't matter. What did was that her first two children were one of each; a Mirror like her and a Ridgeback like Shears.

It could have been a Skydancer.

Iris bit her lip at the sudden thought, casting a sidelong gaze at her friend. Did he feel the same way? Why did she feel so guilty? Like she'd hurt him somehow? Other than the scratch, that is.

Almost like the thought was the trigger pain shot through the Mirror's body again, sending her writhing and clutching her belly. Helping her back into position Hyacinth worked her hind legs again, pulling her tail around with one hand and massaging her with the other. An hour passed. Then another. “Why... won't... it... come... out?!” Iris snarled through her fangs, tears streaking her black-brown face out of fear, of frustration, of agony.

Hyacinth's hand moved up and down around where the egg stubbornly refused to move from. “I don't understand eith-” Why? Why did he stop? She shot him a pleading look, falling away into despair at his anxious expression. “It's...” What? It's what?! “It's... facing the wrong way.”

“What do you mean?” Her voice was weak and wavering. Between laying the first two eggs and now waiting almost three hours on the hopefully last it wasn't unfair to say she was thoroughly exhausted. The Skydancer didn't reply immediately, changing the motion of his hand to rub at one side rather than the whole. It felt as wide as the first. How could it be the wrong way?

“It's smaller than the others.” No it isn't. “You saw how they tapered slightly at one end?” Yes. What's the point? “That's how they're supposed to face, to make it easier to leave the body.” You sure have done a lot of reading but what's the- “The taper is pointing to the side, not the back. It's sideways.”

Sideways. Smaller. Stuck. “Can... will it... Will it come out?” What happened if an egg got lodged inside? Would it hatch inside too? What happened then? Would it live? What would happen to her? A cry of anguish left her jaws as thoughts and questions and images swirled dizzyingly in her mind. She could taste bile, fought the urge to vomit.

No reply, only a continuous motion of circular rubbing, teasing at the trapped egg. For a little over another two hours, where the outside world was bathed in the darkness of night, they continued this way. Iris' arms felt like jelly, a sensation she barely registered in her grief. The questions kept coming, haunting her. Still Hyacinth kept tight-lipped as he concentrated on his movements, which had greatly slowed in his own aching tiredness.

Then at last it moved, and she screamed.

After so many hours of gruelling work both dragons lay panting in the nest, him on the outer edge of the raised mound, her curled around three ovular objects in her little pit. She was crying. He was trying not to.

The third egg was deformed, half the size of the Mirror egg. And remained pearly white.

It wasn't absorbing the magic of the Wind lands.

There was no life to absorb it.

The egg was already dead.

Next Chapter

Last edited by Varethyn on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.