An Ill Wind Blows (Side Pinkerlocke) - COMPLETE

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Re: An Ill Wind Blows (Side Pinkerlocke)

Unread post by Krysteena »

Gardenia is super cute, bless her! Her lil smile is so precious! :D

The idea of the guardian arcane zombie being the protector of one of the eggs is a neat little detail, too, I love it! Also, although he better not, if Hyacinth dies, would it be possible to put a note somewhere that I'd love to offer him a home, please? If no one has already claimed him, of course!
Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

Notes have been added :hug: I shall do my best to keep everyone alive! Aside from one character I'm yet to introduce in WoC I've never felt so connected to my dragons before.

Nuu the hug isn't working yet!

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Wonderful, thank you~ :hug: Gonna send as much luck your way as possible that everyone is all okay - and also that both the coli and Pinkerton show mercy :lol:
Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Syleye »

this has been so enjoyable .

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Thank you so much guys :hug:

Day 22

Image< Break time's over, back to work!

Chapter 10

Shouts of confusion.

Cries of fear.

Roars of anger.

Screams of pain.

Scared sobbing.

Tiny paws grasping.

Movement. Sounds. Fast. Loud.

None of it reached her. Her body may have been there, sat on the ground in dismay with three young dragons crowding around her but her mind was not. No, she was back in the Abiding Boneyard. She was with her pack staring down the rival group. Something was wrong. Her leader didn't notice, only wanted them off his turf. They'd fought mercilessly. She was injured, they cast her out even as they fought on, unaware or refusing to accept that these dragons weren't dragons any more.

All around her were the scenes of battle yet nothing registered as her mind was full of scenes of another fight not long ago. A fight that gave her nightmares. A fight that saw her removed from a previously caring – as caring as a pack of Plague Mirrors could be anyway – and left her crippled.

It wasn't until a giant paw slipped underneath her, lifting her off the ground with ease. Iris shook her head vigorously to remove the shades of a not so distant past to see what was happening. There was pressure against her back now, pinning her wings. In a brief moment of confusion she dug her claws in, resisting the urge to coat them in virulent disease.

“Ow! Hey, I'm saving you here!”

Maggie? Iris shook her head again, placing one hand on her bony plates as the world around her swam with dizziness. “Ma... Mag... nolia?” The fog was thick but was lifting gradually.

“Okay good, you're back.” The Ridgeback called, adjusting her grip on her precious cargo. It was then that the Mirror realised the unconscious Hyacinth in the crook of the white dragon's other arm while her hands held a trembling Tundra and a shaken Gaoler who seemed enthralled with the ground speeding below them. Allium had burrowed her way into the mats of Lupin's thick fur, grasping the stump of his broken horn. “You kinda zonked out for a moment there.”

Wait. Was that blood she could smell? “I... What happened?” Iris shouted as loudly as she could to be heard over the screaming air around them. Magnolia had managed to pick up a lot of speed and evidently the rush prevented her words from reaching the Ridgeback's ears.

Iris let out a sigh, stolen by the whipping currents, and turned to check on her fellow passengers. They'd heard her it appeared, at least the hatchlings, as a pair each of red, blue and green eyes stared at her with a range of emotion. If Fae eyes held emotion. She tilted her head when she saw the twinkle in Lupin's. Was he... enjoying this? No. There was something else. Like he'd realised something important.

“You three doing okay?” the Mirror asked softly, though with enough volume for them to hear her. They all nodded at different rates, uncertain if they were okay or not. Iris nodded back then focused on the limp Skydancer across from them. It wouldn't honestly have taken much to send the spindly thing flying as it was. She could only imagine the damage that monstrosity had caused him while she was in her stupor.

Above, the Mirror heard Maggie groan in discomfort. It must have been hard on the massive dragon's wings and back to power them through the still air at such a speed. Indeed, they were slowly losing altitude as the Ridgeback made to settle on a grassy rise. Balancing on her hind legs by digging in her hook claws Magnolia gently deposited her friends on the ground, making sure to lay Hyacinth on his front and positioning one of his wings.

When she looked over to see what the larger dragon was doing Iris flinched at the awkward angle the Skydancer's left wing fell at, the way it flopped as Maggie moved it. It was less a flinch of squeamishness or of sympathy – when you live in the Scarred Wasteland you see far more gruesome injuries. More that it happened at all, though she wasn't sure why.

“Did that thing do that?” Iris asked despite knowing full well what must have happened. Using her claws to pull herself along the Mirror inspected the damage Hyacinth had received. Miraculously it was only his wing that suffered the most; blue feathers bloodied and skin torn with the sharp edge of broken bone poking through.

“I mean, yeah?” Maggie replied with heaving breaths, leaning over to stand on all fours and allowing her wings to droop. “He just... stood there. We shouted at him to move but it was like we weren't there.” It took Iris a moment to realise the Ridgeback was shaking. She guessed it wasn't entirely from the flight. “Who would just stand there and let themselves be walloped like that?!”

“Someone who saw something that shouldn't be.” Iris muttered, recalling the memory again. She'd always been softer than most. She'd blamed it on her parents' Arcane heritage and once again questioned why they'd laid her egg and abandoned her in the Plaguelands. So of course she'd be the one who froze at the sight of the rival pack, the more inquisitive than aggressive member. The fact that thing's element had also been Arcane didn't help in any way. It only served to think of her mother.

It wasn't until four pairs of eyes turned to her expectantly that she realised she'd spoken aloud. Not in any mood or mind to explain herself the Plagueborne searched for means of deflection. Some other topic she could change to. Ideally something import- “Wait, where's Zinnia?” It wasn't a false question. The Bogsneak was legitimately not with them.

“She...” Magnolia hung her head sadly. “Zin told me to take you guys and run while she stayed to distract the Guardian.” Again her warm yet Icy stare met the Mirror's. “What was wrong with her? The Guardian? I've never seen anything like it... Is it a Plague thing? I heard some horrible things-”

“That was not the fault of the Plague!” Iris suddenly lashed out, making everyone jump and causing Gardenia to slink back behind the Ridgeback with a whimper. That made the Mirror pause sullenly. “Sorry, it's just...” She sighed. Even though her heart was Arcane she was raised in Plague, and that meant understanding what the various strains can do, what the Flight aims for and what they're completely against.

“Necromancy is not favoured by Plaguebringer.” She continued, softer this time and avoiding eye contact. “That was not our doing, I can swear on it.” Though given the nature of those creatures it was understandable why Plague was first to be blamed. Still, there was something much more pressing at hand. “Why did Zinnia stay behind?”

Magnolia had turned away, frowning at the little information Iris was giving her. Distractedly she replied, “Cos she wanted to make sure you guys would be okay.” Then she swung her long neck around to face the Mirror once more. “Don't worry, as soon as I feel able I'll go fly back for her and the stuff. Last I saw Zin had slipped into a spot the Guardian couldn't reach.”

Iris nodded grimly, though worry gnawed at her chest.

It was a good few minutes before Maggie felt fit to fly again, though each one had felt like an hour. With reassurance she'll stick to hopping and gliding more than full on flying again the Ridgeback took a running start to get air under her wings, leapt up and soared away. Iris hoped she did stick to spots and spurts; after all, she needed to find Zinnia and bring her back as well. Not only that but she planned to go out again later to fetch their stuff.

With Hyacinth still out cold Iris had no one to talk to but the hatchlings. Not that it was a bad thing, she'd enjoyed teaching them and watching them grow. It was just nice to have someone around who understood what you wanted to say. Not the best when those listening could barely speak themselves.

“Gardie, are you okay?” the Mirror asked, looking at the shaken Tundra while she set about helping Allium. The Fae had managed to get herself wrapped up in Lupin's mane and could get free.

Gardenia had kept a few paces away, eyes fixated on the direction Magnolia had flown off in. They way they'd come from. She'd been like that since they'd landed. Even after Iris had snapped the Water dragon had gone back to staring at the horizon. “Feel like... should see.” The pistachio-furred Tundra murmured.

“'Should see'?” Iris echoed, cocking her head to one side. While Allium had since been freed the Mirror still idly fussed with Lupin's fur. The Gaoler hadn't moved or said anything so she'd continued the action without realising. “See what? We're too far to see the monster if that's what you mean.” Monster. What a word to tell a child. Monsters were meant to be fictional. A story. Children weren't meant to grow up knowing they were real.

Gardenia nodded absently, then shook her head afterwards. That was when the Mirror noticed the Tundra's eyes were closed. “Here.” Gardenia pointed between her stunted horns. As Iris opened her jaws to ask again what she meant the furry dragon repeated, “Feel like should see. But can not see.” She pointed to her head again, her voice wobbling.

“I'm sorry Dene, I really don't-” Wait. Water. Water dragons could divine the future couldn't they? Receive prophecies and all that? Was Gardenia trying to say she should have foreseen this? “Oh. I... think I get it? You're still young, Dene, and I think there's something you need to do before you can “see” like that. So don't worry.”

“'Ris? Can you stop now please?”

Iris jumped at Lupin's voice as if she'd forgotten he was so close. With a sheepish grin she scooted away from the Gaoler who now sported a darling braid. “S-sorry. I... fiddle when I'm nervous.” Now why did you say that, too? she chided herself. First monsters, now showing you're nervous. You're supposed to be brave for the young ones.

She suddenly felt a light, rhythmic tapping on her head, not able to help but crack a smile when she realised it was Allium patting her in the same way she'd gently pat their heads to comfort them. “Is 'kay. Izza kay. Is ah-kay.” the tiny dragon attempted over and over to get the phrase correct. With a chuckle Iris raised her fins to mimic the Fae gesture for contentment, though she was sure her eyes betrayed her true feelings. More so when they drifted over the broken Skydancer.

“Really should try to do something for him...” Iris pushed herself up, only to fall flat on her face as she once again failed to remember that she couldn't walk any more. How many weeks had it been since the incident and she was still making a fool of herself? Couldn't even flick her tail in annoyance.

As she began to drag herself over to Hyacinth the Mirror felt something pressing against her side. Twisting her neck back she saw Lupin trying to nuzzle his head underneath her body. When he saw her looking at him he backed off. “I can help?” He asked, sounding apologetic. “Help you move?”

Iris pondered this a moment, started to nod but stopped in time to remember Allium was up there and instead replied, “Yes, please. Help me to Cin.” She raised her chest off the ground to let the Gaoler stick his nose under again. After a second of hesitation he wriggled beneath her raised body, twisting around so they both faced the same direction. Then together they walked over to Hyacinth.

“Let's see.” the Plague dragon mused when she was happy Lupin had her in a good position. As carefully as she could she ran a thin finger up his wing arm towards the break, the skin around which was beginning to clot with dried blood. How hilarious that the medic is the one who winds up injured. I wonder... “Lupe, be a dear and take Cin's bag off for me.”

The brownish Gaoler did as asked, grasping and tugging at the satchel strap until it slid over Hyacinth's head. “What for?” He asked curiously as Iris flipped it open to rummage inside.

“Cin can heal,” she explained, pulling out a white box and a roll of bandage. Is this even right? “He has things that make you feel better.” The box was unclipped, opening to reveal an assortment of ointment bottles, splints, sticky plasters, cotton balls... Uncertainly Iris picked up a bottle and read it. “I think this is the one...” She twisted the lid off after a few unsuccessful tries, foiled by the hatchling-proofing. Then she took a cotton swab, placed it over the bottle's opening and tilted it so the liquid ran out. Is this too much? Plaguemother help me Cin, if you could just wake up and tell me...

With apprehension she replaced the lid – properly, so the seal clicked in case the kids fiddled with it – and began to dab the bloodied skin.

Then shot back with a yell as Hyacinth woke with a scream of agony.

“By Lightweaver, what was that?!” He squawked, panting heavily as his hands travelled up to his injury.

“W-we don't know either-” Iris stammered, taken aback that holy whatever he did actually wake up.

“No! What did you use?!”

“Uhh...” She showed him the bottle. “This is the correct one, right?” She felt so small all of a sudden, like she should slip between the blades of grass and live amongst the insects. “...I'm glad you're awake.” She added in an equally tiny voice.

Hyacinth swept his hands over the grass, feeling for something. Duh! His spectacles! They must have fallen off when he got hit or while they were flying. “I... I...” He stopped floundering to blearily regard the Mirror. “What did happen? There was a... a... ugghhh...” He returned his attention to his cracked wing.

“What do I need to do?” Iris asked urgently, looking between Hyacinth and the bottle in her claws.

“Just... ah! Just some... water. Make sure its... hahh... clean.” Hyacinth sucked air between his teeth each time he disturbed the break.

Iris nodded dumbly, motioning for Lupin to bring the bag over again. Surely he would have some plain water somewhere...

“Can help?” the Gaoler's gruff voice asked, green eyes sparkling.

The Mirror blinked all four eyes a couple of times before saying, “Oh, yes! Can you and Gardenia sniff out some water? Take... um...” She retrieved a canteen, presumably what he would have kept water in had it not been empty. “Use this. Thank you!”

Eagerly Lupin took the flask from Iris and lumbered over to the Tundra, shaking her a little to get her attention. He pointed at her, then at the flask. Iris assumed he was doing his best to explain. Eventually he thrust the container under her nose to smell. That seemed to make her perk up and the pair galloped down the slope.

“Um, mind telling me what this stuff is so I don't get mixed up in future?” Iris asked Hyacinth with a weak smile.

Through the pain the Skydancer complied. Punctuated by gasps and sharp inhalations he pointed to each item in turn to explain their varying uses and functions. Some were clear, splints give support when wrapped in bandages. Others not so much. Which cream was needed for what type of injury, and what order? Is it needed at all? Sometimes it was the ointment, or the other bottle. Hyacinth did his best to explain but it all went over Iris' head in the end.

However, a very diligent and curious pair of large, red eyes was following every action.

Soon enough, quicker than expected actually, Gardenia and Lupin returned. Both seemed in higher spirits now, perhaps from being able to do something to help the adults. With direction from the Skydancer, who Lupin assisted in rolling into a more comfortable position while Iris and Gardenia laid out the wing, the group was able to, between each other even as simple an action as passing a clean cloth, clean, treat, set and bandage the limb.

“M-make sure it's st-straight.” Hyacinth winced. With any luck it would go numb soon. In the meantime he had to endure as Iris ran her hands over her work. He joined her after a moment of reading her uncertainty. “You did a good job.” He managed a smile. “Now we... wait.” He groaned again as the ache ran over his back and shoulders.

“What do you have to do with it?” Iris asked, furling and unfurling her wing in demonstration. “I don't expect you can tuck it in like normally.”

He shook his head. “No, it'll need to hang for a while. But don't worry. Injuries like this can take as few as two weeks to heal. I just need to- ah... to try not to move or catch it.” A shaky breath was taken, then he moved his golden gaze to meet her ruby one. “Thank you. For helping.”

She blushed and turned away. “You mean after I messed up?” Lupin flopped down next to her companionably. She could help that notice that some of his mane around her braid was twisted and tied. He saw her looking and pretended to watch Gardenia and Allium as they played doctor. The Fae was very keen to put her new knowledge to the test, using water, leaves and twigs to wash, splint and bandage the Tundra's arm.

“You tried.” Hyacinth assured her. “What you used will help. You simply put it in the wrong order, that's all.” He smiled at her and she smiled back. “I only wish I could have helped you.”

“You tried.” Iris told him. It was meant to be in jest repeating what he said, but somehow it ended up being genuine. “Shame about the cart. Though Mag said she might bring it when she gets Zin.”

“...Magnolia and Zinnia aren't here?”

Welp, time to start explaining.

Next Chapter
Inventory/Notes: Breed/Scatter/G1 purchase x1. Hyacinth Badly Injured for 2 days.

Last edited by Varethyn on Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

oh my god how many days in a row have you been given a writing prompt?? Not that I'm complaining because yesssss more story feed me but come now, Pinkerton, give sweet Vare a break!

that said- YESSSSS MORE STORY +_+ Loved this chapter! I fall more and more in love with sweet fluffly Lupin every day and I'm loving the increasing development of the relationships between the characters. Also super curious about all the little plot hooks you've planted into this chapter- there's something up with everyone, so far, and I'm excited to keep reading!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Considering I ended up writing half of this at 2am in 26C heat with no idea what I was doing any more I am very glad you still enjoy this :lol: ♥ And yeah that was... 6? writing prompts in a row with a battle and an art in between somewhere.

Day 23
BUT HEY I GOT ANOTHER BREAK YAY

It's Allium! And that completes the portraits of the current team! Not that happy with the head crests but overall pretty content. Considering it's 31C here and humid as all get out. UK weather everyone! *Flops*

Inventory/Notes: Breed/Scatter/G1 purchase x1. Hyacinth Badly Injured for 1 day.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I think the art is marvelous! ! We have a heatwave in Denmark too .soo humid.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Syleye »

The art is so lovely and oh my gosh the story is wonderful, enjoyable beyond belief I really am feeling Iris and the babies <3

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Loved both the new chapter and Allium's new headshot - she looks super cute! I can't wait to see how the three hatchlings are as they grow up - Lupin is a mystery, still, and I'm putting odds on Allium being a healer once she's old enough :> Also, aye, the heat in the UK is crazy. I'm really not ready for tomorrow's heat, it's gonna be hot enough to melt whatever is underneath the concrete on the paths and stuff D:
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Aww, Allium is super cute! Love the big, big eyes! And oof, I can relate. It was about that temp here in Michigan over the last week, and 80% humidity. Really gross. ;_; I hope it cools down soon!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 24
Bless you Pinkerton for this much needed extended break for I am melting right now.

Although Iris and Hyacinth are bonding I don't think they're that far along :lol: and again there's no one I'd like to scatter. Despite some back-and-forthing I actually decided that I am ready for a new dragon to join the team. And I am so glad I did.

First allow me to clarify something - the G1 purchase is a once a month thing given the possibility of pulling multiple apparel items. Before I hatched the eggs I'd left it open in case I got screwed out of new party members, giving me an extra, slightly more special, way of getting one. I will be adding back the once a month limit given how I already have 8 dragons while leaving it a decision between breeding and scattering as well.

Back to the prompt. I rolled a 2 meaning I get myself a guardian! Meet Aster:

I admit there were a couple G1 guardians cheaper than him but as soon as I saw he was Arcane ideas began to flood in. So... here he is!

Also of note, Hyacinth is no longer Badly Injured and has his safety net back for his next coliseum bout.

Inventory/Notes: Breed/Scatter x1.

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Syleye »

Aster is lovely

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Uhh bright guardian boy! What about giving him gembond. .might be a good story in the poison by Snake story ?

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Syleye »

he could be a firefly collector :D

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

I actually already have a plan for him! But I always appreciate the scries <3

Day 25
Pinkie is plotting something... I can feel it, something terrible is going to happen.

I wanted to try something a bit different this time around. It was originally going to be a full scene but my brain died halfway cos of the heat. So... enjoy a half-assed zombie guardian thing!

Inventory/Notes: Breed/Scatter x1.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Uh love Zombie guardian art!!

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Yo that's so cool! Love the expression! :D
Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Syleye »

spooky guardian love it

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Woahh really fantastic art, Vare! Man, I want a guardian like that. :lol: She's terrifying!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising