An Ill Wind Blows (Side Pinkerlocke) - COMPLETE

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Re: An Ill Wind Blows (Side Pinkerlocke)

Unread post by Varethyn »

Okay, confession time.

I have legitimately been fairly busy with trying to find work and looking into potential courses, however I am in another low point concerning my mental state. I have generalised anxiety and it always makes me feel that if no one talks to me or says anything about things I do then I've clearly gone wrong and/or upset someone. I know this isn't true and I am seeing someone about it, but it's really making it hard to get this done. I want so badly to finish the story. I really do. I'm aware that Namárië has problems irl with her husband and in general. I'm aware that Lupis has problems regarding their girlfriend and general life. I am aware and greatly appreciate not having the time to check Petopia let alone read the latest chapter(s). But to my mind silence is a bad, bad sign and makes me wonder why I continue.

So please, you don't have to but I'd really appreciate a little support now and again. It doesn't need to be long, just a few words to let me know you're still enjoying this. I'm sorry if this feels like an excuse to not work on the story or if it sounds guilt-trippy cos it's not supposed to be. I simply want you to know how my brain works.

As an aside, I got another material today. I will still work on the writing, it'll just take a little longer.

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I really love your writing hun! Im sorry I cant be more active. I still think you should write a book in RL, you got the talent :D Or set up a bio shop on fr to make money/gems - I would gladly pay u to write :hug:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I wanted to extend a hand in support here- I'm so sorry I haven't been active lately, and thus haven't been able to respond or participate! I'm in the midst of trying to balance how much time I spend on various hobbies and thus my activity a lot of places has REALLY slowed down, but I wanted you to know that I really, really admire how much you've put into these pinterlockes and I LOVE where the stories have gone. If I had the time I know for sure I'd be writing one too just because of how wonderful yours have been, and even when I can't catch up I'm still really happy knowing you've been creating something so cool. Hopefully I'll be able to find a better life balance soon!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Thank you Lupis, it really means a lot :hug: I'm sorry I keep on harping on about this but I have that mindset where if no one says anything then what I'm doing isn't good enough. I'm very much well aware that yourself and Mirya Tarnfalk (gosh dang it! :lol: ) have a lot going on in life and that one or two people admitted to only read out of idle curiosity so I don't expect comments all the time from you guys. Yet there's something that irks me when I see the view counter go up with no one else offering any kind of feedback let alone support.

That all said I'm amazed I've inspired you so much with my writing! A lot of it really is throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it all sticks together and I worry that things don't make sense. I still haven't figured anything out for Verbena and Plumeria. I most certainly would check out any 'lockes you decide to try should you do so; you've always been great at RP as well as art. I'm sure you'd have some fantastic ideas :hug:

As for the state of my current challenge...

BACKLOG

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I've on-and-off kept track of my Pinkerton pulls in order to keep things going as they ought to. There were a couple days missed plus a couple familiars that don't count so there's a little less than should be, and it might not be in exact order. Regardless I will be attempting to bust through it all at some point, keeping track of future pulls too. I'm excited to incorporate Banescale lore into the story (hoo boy Lupin's gonna have a field day with that one) but likely that won't happen til the next story given how far behind I've fallen here. Speaking of Banescales, I'm wondering if it's worth incorporating the clan-bound eggs into the story somehow. I'm wary after the population explosion I had with IWB by hatching those three eggs and so early, but I feel it'd make a great lore addition.

Anyway, as always this isn't abandoned. I just needed some time away. I've got parts of chapters written out waiting to be finished so with any luck I'll get this thing done before the new year :lol:

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 65

Chapter 19

Without proof enough of the travellers' intentions the group carried on as normal, if with a more guarded air than usual. Much to Aster's relief it wasn't long before everyone finally had everything they needed to get ready ready; toys and books and clothes and tools had been safely stashed and lashed to their owners, food had cooled and been wrapped and placed carefully amongst Zinnia's belongings, wounds were treated and wheels were (at long last) oiled, though they still creaked and groaned on occasion. Everything else was slung into as many bags and packs as could manage or else carried where they did not fit. And of course every single item was subtly checked over and accounted for.

In the last moments before they set out the great nightshade Guardian paused to look over the cave where he'd almost let himself die, at the gravesite of his beloved mate and Charge Amaranth and at the burgeoning field Lupin had created in the wake of it all. His heart felt heavy in his chest as he gave his last goodbyes, promising to visit now and again. For now he needed to leave. He needed to travel, to find new places and dragons. Needed a way to distract himself from the hollowness the loss of his Charge had left. At least there was something to fill that void were she to accept. All he needed to do was ask her.

Led by the impatient black Bogsneak they set off from their temporary home. As expected Wisteria and Orchid fell into step alongside them, the former smirking at anyone who caught her gaze while the latter appeared lethargic and uncomfortable. While the awkwardness quickly faded as the Coatl looked down on her new companions it was in fact her who became withdrawn and uncertain.

“Wist, what's wrong now?” the batlike Nocturne moaned as she forced herself not to reflect her partner's emotions again. Sometimes it was a real pain having the urge to mimic those nearby as it took away from how she really felt. Orchid was delighted to have found another group to join for a time even if they didn't have the same musical taste the travelling duo did, so it annoyed her to appear so fidgety and worried at the expense of Wisteria.

Waving a white paw dismissively as one wing draped protectively over her sphinx the Coatl replied simply, “Just a passing thought. Nothing to concern yourself with, darling.”

“I'm more concerned that you're making me look concerned.” Orchid grumbled as she fussed with the straps her instruments hung from. “Aren't you the least bit glad we found another bunch to walk with until the next town? I know it took some time to convince them but at least we got some food and direction from it.”

“I said it's nothing to worry over.” The statement was to be followed with another except a loud trumpeting cut her off. Pink eyes going round with realisation, whatever emotions the Coatl had actually been feeling fell away as she shot her partner an accusatory glare. “You said Djembe was out of sight!”

“I thought he was!” Grip tightening on the leather straps Orchid ducked down beside the much larger dragon, pretending not to be there. “I told him to be careful and follow at a distance. Stupid beast...”

All attempts to hide were for naught. Shortly after the trumpet came a bout of giggling from the two youngest of the party; the Fae and the Tundra. Apparently the pair had split off in search of “a strange animal” they'd seen prior to leaving. It seemed they'd found it. And it of course was the pale greattusk Orchid liked to ride on. Chattering away about the “big, grey thing with a long nose” Wisteria became very aware of the smaller Nocturne doing her best to hide under the wing not yet extended. Opening her mouth to snap the Coatl was interrupted by a looming purple figure flanked by a larger white one.

“Unhand me, you brute!” Even before the kerfuffle all eyes had turned towards the enigmatic pair of musicians. Two and two had been put together and now Wisteria hung indignantly by the scruff of her neck from Aster's jaws as he displayed her for the troop to see. “This is humiliating. How dare you! Put me down!”

Beside the Guardian a still rather quiet but no less displeased Magnolia held Orchid in her arms, the Nocturne showing no attempt to break free. While her face was expressionless it was the coiling of her tail and the refusal to make eye-contact that gave away her guilt. Or perhaps the decision to not look at anyone was so she did not mimic Wisteria's struggles.

Much to her surprise Wisteria was deposited, if unceremoniously, on the ground before the rest of the group as her captor moved to block escape while she was stunned by the action. She hadn't expected the Guardian to actually let her go. Then again, it's not like she had the option to bolt now that the two of them were surrounded. Granted the Coatl was bigger than a couple of members so if she wanted to she could bowl them over. But that wouldn't be very professional now, would it?

Zinnia held up two objects by the straps. Their belongings. “Excuse me! Get your mitts off of Orchid and my things!” Wisteria made to swipe the bags from the green-winged dragon, only for them to be deftly pulled away before her paw made contact.

“Explain why you have some of our things in there and we might consider it.” Came the smooth yet venomous reply.

“I don't know what you're talking about!” It was strangely difficult to keep the shrillness from her voice as she responded. Never had she lost her composure like this. There was just something about the Bogsneak that really ticked her off. It came out in full force however as Zinnia upturned the packs, allowing the contents to spill on the grass. “Wh- Why would we even want that junk?” White fur puffed out defensively, the Coatl's attempts to remain calm failing drastically. “Orchid, tell them why we wouldn't want it!”

Orchid, as it happened, refused to speak. The Nocturne, too, had been placed on the ground but insisted on keeping her head turned away. “All I'm getting from this,” Hyacinth stated, stepping forward, “is a guilty conscience.” Rubbing the bridge of his pointed snout the Skydancer began to pace around the detained duo. “This 'junk' may not hold much value but it is of great use to some of us. Aster, our Guardian friend behind you, found signs of someone searching through our supplies. Granted it wasn't the best place to store it. We had greater things on our minds than the storage of our less important items.” Gesturing gingerly with the arm Analika had bitten to the latest, large addition of the pale greattusk Allium and Gardenia had found, next to which the sphinx in question was now huddled, he continued, “He also claims that this creature was sleeping outside the den early this morning. Greattusks don't normally wander this far north unless they are someone's familiar.” Golden eyes drifted over the two suspects. “And given it now sits patiently across from us it all seems rather convenient, wouldn't you say?”

The thought of denying ever seeing Djembe passed through Wisteria's mind and would have spoken it had the fact her sphinx was quite clearly fond of the pachyderm not given away the connection. Instead a sudden wave of weariness overtook the albino dragon as years of putting on this same act caught up with her. “I can't do this any more.” Drained Wisteria flattened her feathery crest and sat next to her partner, closing her pink eyes and also turning away. “Fine. You got us.” The admittance was so devoid of emotion that the group had to look to one another to decide if it legitimate or not. Even Orchid finally lifted her head to regard the Coatl in shock.

“Wist, what are you doing?”

“I'm tired of this life, Orchid.” Still not looking up Wisteria sighed heavily even as the group surrounding them whispered theories to each other. “Tired of running, of stealing, of travelling with strangers until the next stop only to start the same song and dance all over again. We've already been found out. Quickest we ever have. Goes to show we're not meant to be doing this.” Wisteria cast Orchid a despairing sidelong glance, then shifted her gaze up to Aster, to Magnolia, over to Zinnia and Hyacinth and everyone else. “I suppose you'll be wanting to turn us in for this now? I suppose at least Kid and I will have a warm place to stay in some prison den for a few days.”

“More trickery no doubt.” Aster growled, receiving a piercing glare from his colourless captive. “You distract us with your music and charm to throw us off from your true goal of making off with our supplies.” With a snort he addressed Zinnia, “What should we do with them?”

The Bogsneak stalled, a baffled expression on her features. “Why are you asking me?”

“You are the leader of your group aren't you?”

“Uh no?” Almost offended Zinnia waved a pudgy paw at Magnolia, who balked at the attention. “I just got dragged out on this farce. If anything Magnolia's the leader cos she started the whole thing.”

Tapping her fingers together sheepishly the Ridgeback, barely audible, mumbled, “I'm not really much of a leader...” She then stooped, gathering the bards in her arms and pulling them, protesting loudly, to her chest in a tight embrace. “But I say whatever happens they should be treated fairly and given a chance to show they're not bad people! No one should be cast out from their clans, forced to wander and steal from others to survive!”

“Oh brother...” Zinnia slapped a hand over her eyes while Hyacinth rolled his, though an amused smirk tugged at his lips. Seeing this caused Iris to start giggling which in turn set off Gardenia, who covered her mouth with her fluffy paws and buried her face in Lupin's side.

“And what, may I ask, is happening over here?”

“Auntie Maggie's being overdramatic and funny again.” Squeaked Allium from her usual perch on Lupin's broken antler. Then she froze, splaying her frills in realisation that she was responding to an entirely new voice. This didn't go unnoticed by everyone else either as all heads turned to see who had joined them now.

A second Guardian, purple like Aster except female and with darker wings and a silvery underbelly stood a number of paces away, watching the goings-on with Shadowy eyes. Amidst the conversation and laughter no one had noticed the clink of the armour she bore, let alone any other signs of approach. Streaked with a celestial pattern that would make the Arcanist swoon despite her darker origins the new dragon bowed respectfully once she'd gotten everyone's attention. “Forgive the intrusion, I was passing by on my Search and could not help but find myself curious at the gathering.” She straightened, holding a proud stance even as a small, friendly smile graced her face.

“We caught some thieves and tried to make light of the situation.” Alstroemeria summarised, realised what she said and looked at Hyacinth. “Uh, I mean we tried to lighten the mood. I mean-!” Riding on the back of the previous outburst this faltering attempt to not accidentally make fun of the Lightborne among them only served to revive Gardenia and Iris' giggle fits. “Oh hush you two, I've spent too long underground. That's all!”

“Without ever having seen a male Gaoler it would seem.” The normally green Gaoler blushed red at Zinnia's snark as she shuffled slowly away from Lupin, who had also begun fidgeting uncomfortably. Perhaps she had approached him a little too soon.

Impatiently patting Magnolia's arm, the impact getting harder and harder as time went on, Wisteria said through a strained smile, “If we're quite done...” She squawked as the hug tightened momentarily, Orchid, too, making odd squashed sounds before they were placed back on the ground. “Well!” Clearing her throat and dusting herself off the haughty Coatl collected herself as best as she could under the circumstances, lifting a front leg in preparation to leave. “Since you have no leader to decide, Kid and I will be taking our familiars and-” A heavy, purple paw slamming onto her tail, pinning her in place, interrupted the escape attempt and Wisteria flopped onto the grass, thoroughly defeated.

“Group vote.” Wiping the tears from her eyes Iris lifted a hand into the air. “We're not far from Saltwind Heights. All in favour of seeking out the local authority there say 'aye'.”

Zinnia's paw shot up faster than her own element. “Aye.” Aster and Hyacinth echoed the motion, followed by a much slower response from Merry then by Lupin, who didn't say anything though he still raised a paw. The shuffle of his small wings suggested he was still flustered.

“Maggie? Dene? Alli?” Iris inquired, turning to each in turn.

Allium shrugged. “I don't really know what's happening to say.” From the brown Gaoler's fluff came a series of snorts; Gardenia still preoccupied by the earlier shenanigans. Indeed the two young females had been off doing their own thing until they found the greattusk so there was a good chance they hadn't been around long enough to see the bards' failed theft.

“Maggie?” The Mirror repeated, craning her neck to regard the Ridgeback expectantly.

Doing her best to deflect the question for now Magnolia responded meekly by suggesting, “Sh-shouldn't we, um, welcome our guest first?”

“Please don't worry about me.” With another gracious bow the new Guardian placed a hand to her armoured chest. “It was I who intruded on your meeting. By all means finish what you are doing. I shall wait.”

“Are you sure?” Brows raised Aster asked, “You said you're on your Search, shouldn't you-”

“Majority vote is yes.” Zinnia butt in, slinking to the head of the troop to await their departure. “So it doesn't even matter what Maggie thinks right now.” Magnolia bristled at the jab, spines going rigid with annoyance, only to droop glumly as she lacked the heart to retort in kind.

Pursing her lips the plum Guardian muttered to Aster, “I see someone got out on the wrong side of the den today.”

As Aster searched for a way to reply Hyacinth approached instead. “Apologies for the mess. We've had a hard few weeks for many reasons and Zinnia doesn't take too kindly to too much stress.” Adjusting his cowl, taking great measures to make sure it covered the gem embedded in his forehead, the Skydancer offered his most professional demeanour as he addressed the newcomer. “It's a pleasure to meet another traveller on the road. My name is Hyacinth and these are Zinnia, Magnolia, Iris, Gardenia, Allium, Lupin, Aster and... Als... Astro...”

“Merry is fine!” the mossy-furred Gaoler called at the medic's fumbling of her name.

“Merry.” Hyacinth finished, giving her a nod of thanks. “We're on a search of our own, in a sense, as we're seeking the lost daughter of clan Cloudweaver with the intent of delivering her home safely. However we've hit many an obstacle along the way with these two being the latest.”

The new Guardian inclined her head in understanding, casting a questioning look at the two performers. “Thieves, you say? Petty. Although it is not a secret that the Wind lands have fallen on hard times. While I don't promote it, I can understand why.” Hyacinth gave her a grimace of acknowledgement. The lack of winds was hard for everyone, children of the element or no. He himself was born under the Lightweaver but his Skydancer heart yearned for the breezes to return. “I digress.” The Guardian continued, shaking Cin from his thoughts. “My name is Acacia. I thank you for taking the time to speak with me despite my intrusion. I heard you were heading to Saltwind Heights? Would you mind if I were to accompany you for a time? I may find something there.”

“Well,” Hyacinth cast a look back over his shoulder at the group for their blessing, only to see them steadily departing after an already ahead Zinnia. “Um. Since we're apparently already leaving I don't see the harm. Welcome to the group, Acacia.”

With Aster and Magnolia once again escorting the beleaguered bards and using some spare rope they'd scavenged to fashion makeshift leads for the familiars the motley party of creatures picked their way across the land. Soon they found the road they'd followed up until the attack, following it in hopes that it would lead them to their destination. It had been so long since they'd seen civilisation, having been forced to live off the land, sheltering in caves and generally putting up with one another that no one knew what to expect. Least of all Gardenia, Allium or the two Gaolers. The former two plus Lupin had only known the open grassy expanse of the Plateau and Alstroemeria the deep frosty recesses of the Southern Icefield.

As questions whether they were going the right way began to fly the first tips of the tallest hooks and cranes of the fabled fishing village began to poke up over the emerald verges of the horizon. Hopes climbing the dragons redoubled their efforts to make it to the clan before sunset, the roofs of buildings varying in size, shape and style making themselves known amongst the rods and pulleys. The air already filled with the calls of sea birds now included many voices as the inhabitants of the village along with gathered merchants hawked their wares in hopes of a final sale or two.

Panting and aching the troupe all but collapsed at the entrance of the cliff side lair. A chorus of voices shouted out at them: some welcoming, most offering freshly caught fish and other foodstuffs to restore their strength with. Initially declining the offers the team forced their tired legs to carry them that little bit further to the heart of the village to seek out a place to stay and somewhere to hand over Wisteria and Orchid.

On the way through Iris caught sight of a sign advertising a spa in a design she vaguely recognised. Curious the Mirror closed her main eyes to focus on her smaller, heat sensing ones to observe the figures within. Several red and orange silhouettes shuffled around in a sea of yellow, with various hot objects scattered around. Hot tubs to relax in, various tools for dragons with fur or hair. There! She just knew it, even after all this time. She knew she recognised that sign. Amongst all the other figures within was the unmistakable shape of a large male Ridgeback. Question was, was it the Ridgeback she was thinking of? With the others moving on without her Iris had to make a quick decision.

“Hey guys?” All members of the group, associated or not, turned to listen. “Uh... there's a... there's a spa here! Does... Would any of you like to... join me?” Darn it why couldn't she just say she wanted to drop in to look around quickly?

“I think we'd best turn these two in and find a place to stay first.” Hyacinth told the Mirror after a moment's deliberation. “We can rest afterwards.” A few murmurs of agreement followed.

“That's fair.” Claws scratched idly against the dirt path under her paws. “I, uh... I'm going to pop in to have a nose around. See what it's like. Okay?” She flashed a grin of assurance, though it was more to assure herself than her friends. “I'll catch up in a bit. Don't go too far.” After a few nods of confirmation a slightly reddened Iris pushed open the door.

“Wait, you sure you wanna do that with your training wheels on?” The flush deepened at Alstroemeria's question. Right. The cart.

Crests wavering with uncertainty as she fought to put on a confident face. “I-I-I'm sure th-they'll understand!” Not wanting to wait any longer in case she psyched herself out the oil-coloured Mirror pushed inside. Even before the door had opened fully did a waft of potent fragrance seep out of the gaps, making Iris pause to cough and blink rapidly as it caught in her throat. Immediately her tongue was coated in perfume, making it hard to resist the urge to gag.

“Ah, so sorry about that, miss.” Through tear-streaked eyes the Mirror turned to the owner of the voice that addressed her: a young, blue petal-patterned Nocturne boy with streaked pink wings and what looked to be a filigree headpiece adorned with rubies. More of the jewellery, at least she assumed it was – there was talk of ways to tame gembond and sculpt it decoratively into living adornments, was present at his wingtips. “A very satisfied customer left only moments before you arrived so there may be fumes.”

May be. Iris only smiled and nodded at the receptionist's explanation out of fear of having another coughing fit.

“How may we help you today? Not to be rude but you look like you're ready for a relaxing dip in one of our baths.”

“I would love that.” Came the rather hoarse reply as the Mirror wiped at both pairs of eyes. Quickly clearing her throat she amended, “But maybe later. I-I only wanted to see what's on offer and if... um...”

The Nocturne tilted his head curiously. “'If'...?”

Shuffling sheepishly in her cart it was a few heartbeats before the Mirror mumbled, “If Shears works here...”

“If who, sorry?”

Starting to take a deep breath to steady herself then quickly deciding that was a bad idea Iris opted to hold it a moment instead. “Shears. Does.. does a male Ridgeback named Shears work here?”

The receptionist's brows shot up his head in pleasant surprise. “It's not often we get asked for a specific stylist, especially not from someone who isn't local. I assume you know him from elsewhere?”

“We... used to be in the same clan until I left to join an all-Mirror pack.” Her mouth remained open a little longer than intended as she wondered whether to explain further, then snapped shut as she decided it wasn't worth it.

“I see. I was tempted to shoot a guess given your element but I didn't want to offend anyone.” The Nocturne, who Iris realised belatedly was of Light element like Hyacinth, flashed a toothy grin as he waved in the direction she'd seen the Ridgeback silhouette. “He went to wash up ready for his next appointment, but I don't think he'd mind if you wanted to chat. Don't take too long though, that appointment is due soon.”

“Thank you.” Nodding gratefully at the receptionist Iris began to wheel her way over to the staff wash room.

“Oh, did something bad happen?” She froze at the question the Nocturne asked, not wanting to retell the story. Especially not the true story. “Sorry, I saw the cart and... Sorry, ignore me.” When Iris looked up the Nocturne had busied himself with paperwork at the desk. Paperwork that had already appeared to have been expertly sorted and signed. Blushing furiously the Mirror added some extra speed to her step as she continued to the wash room.

Ignoring any other stares and questions from the various dragons within the spa, either staff or customer, Iris made it to the curtain that separated the wash room from the main room, poking her nose around it to regard whoever was behind it. “Um. He-hello?”

There he was, the very same Ridgeback with the very same rainbow fish tattoo and bright green claws. The very same Ridgeback she'd hung out with up until she felt the clan wasn't for her. He'd had similar thoughts at the time, but was more reluctant to leave than she had. “Ris? Plaguemother be praised! I thought I'd never see you again!” With a grace one wouldn't expect from one so large Shears bounded across the short distance between the two, swept Iris off of her wheels and squeezed her tightly. “Darn how I missed you!”

Reaching her arms around him as best as she could manage given the size difference Iris found herself giggling with delight. “I missed you too.”

“Dang girl, what happened to you?” Letting out a small squeal Iris felt herself be lifted up as the bigger dragon inspected her makeshift support. “Was it the pack you joined? I warned you that might be dangerous.”

Tapping his hands to put her down, which he carefully did, Iris spoke, “It was fine for a while. I learned a lot from them. Even if... it doesn't exactly show.” Rubbing a wrist absently the Mirror continued, “It was a freak accident. That's all.”

“A freak accident that saw you riding around in a buggy all the way out in the Wind domain.”

A flash of heat flushed her face. “Y-yeah, well... you're all the way out here too!”

“By choice.”

She had nothing.

“Sweetie, Iris, please. I'm out here on business. Finally got the chance to flex my creative muscles by fixin' up other dragons all pretty-like. That doesn't look like a choice.” Offering a warm smile and resting a large hand on her shoulder she could see the pleading in his crimson eyes. No words needed to be said; he of everyone deserved the full explanation.

“Do you have time? It's... a long story.”

Frowning and pursing his lips Shears tilted his spiny head to check a clock ticking up on the wall above them. “Not that long. Tell you what. Swing by in a few hours. I got a late shift tonight but when I'm done we'll crash at my place and you can tell me all about it. Sound good?”

Iris nodded slowly. Joy lifted a small weight from her chest. Finally she could explain to someone she trusted. True, she trusted Hyacinth and was getting there with Magnolia and the kids, but there was no one she wanted to pour her heart out to more than her childhood friend. A further exchange simply to catch up a little before Shears' next appointment came up and the Mirror made her way out of the spa. Thankfully it wasn't too far to find the rest of the group: not far up the road was a central plaza of sorts with inns and store fronts lining each row. Everyone was gathered in front of a proud-looking Snapper who was explaining something to them, though the words were lost as her mind drifted back to Shears.

Tonight couldn't come soon enough.

Next Chapter
Inventory/Notes: Breed/Gene x5

This... took the best part of the day to figure out. But we have progress! And Acacia finally joins us! Yaaaay *Flops*

Tarn, I hope you like what I did for Shears so far!

Nocturne scried for the spa receptionist
Last edited by Varethyn on Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Ohh I love how you wrote him in your story!! :hug:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Oooo, I really liked how you integrated Shears! His relationship with Iris seems really sweet, I love how casual and supportive it is.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Thank you, Lupis! It made more sense to me that if my dragons end up breeding with one from someone else's lair that there be some backstory between them already. Cos it would just be weird to be all, "hey I just met you but you wanna make some eggs?" Being from the same element helped. Also, for some reason I was imagining Zephyr Breeze from MLP only not pushy and obnoxious :lol:

COLISEUM DUMP TIME

I had planned to tackle the backlog daily, but since I don't know how many more chapters I'm going to write before ending this "session", plus how long it takes me to write at the moment, it made more sense to do it all at once instead. Likewise I was going to do these earlier but given NotN was so close it made sense to hold off to see if I could get some goodies from it. (I got like 6 strange chests. Yay?)

Here's the results:

Magnolia, Aster and Wisteria. Nothing of note. Maggie lv9 Aster and Wisteria both lv8.

Maili, Whisper and Pavan. Maili was KO'd once and grew to lv6, Whisper lv9 and Pavan lv8.

Maili, Ciro and Whisper. Autumn dryad drop (discarded as Lupin already has Willow). Maili lv7 and Ciro lv5.

Anemone, Magnolia and Hyacinth. Anemone badly wounded - lasted 15 rounds. Hyacinth lv9.

Acacia, Verbena and Aster. Bamboo phytocat drop (rolled a 2 so did not keep) banded crate, Acacia badly wounded - lasted 35 rounds. Acacia lv7, Aster lv9.

Flipped tails.

Ciro, Ayaz, Maili. Ciro KO'd once and grew to lv7, Ayaz lv11 and Maili lv8.

Flipped heads.
Aster, Iris, Allium. Allium badly wounded, lasted 5 rounds. Iris lv8.

Flipped tails.

I also got 2 pieces of apparel which have been added to the stockpile.

Backlog: ImageImageImageImageImage

Inventory/Notes: Breed/Gene x7

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Chapter 20

The night came quicker than expected. For now there was nowhere to lock up ne'er-do-wells and so the group was forced to keep Wisteria and Orchid with them, much to everyone's chagrin. Except Iris, who seemed to have much more pressing matters in mind. The Mirror had been pacing ever since she got back from the spa yet refused to explain why. All questions were answered with, “I'm fine” or, “It's okay, really” regardless of the question asked. It was a blessing, then, that the squeaky wheel had been tended to previously or else Zinnia would have done something drastic.

When the bell tolled 10 Iris was out of the door like a shot, stopping only long enough to say, “I'llbebacksoon. Orinthemorning. Idon'tknow. Bye!” Then she was gone, the doors swinging behind her. For a good while all the others could do was blink in confusion. Slowly breaking from their stupor the dragons began milling towards the rooms they'd been booked for the night.

When it came to who would watch over the bard brigands the obvious first thought was Magnolia what with her being so large. The idea was quickly shot down by her overly kind demeanour, fearing she'd be swayed into letting them go. While the next obvious choice Aster declined the role as he wanted to room with Gardenia, claiming to have something important he wished to discuss with her privately. Initially incredulous, the young Tundra allowed this as long as Allium or Lupin could join them, to which the Guardian agreed. As both Gaolers were currently setting the more bestial familiars into the local stable it was the Fae who ended up joining them, though she seemed oddly fidgety and kept glancing out of the window at her ersatz brother and his dryad friend,.

No sooner had Lupin and Alstroemeria returned, Willow having chosen to stay outside with the animals, was the request asked of them, startling the pair a moment at the trust needed for the task. “Of course, this was more aimed at Lupin than yourself, Merry.” Hyacinth admitted, rubbing his injured forearm with his other hand. “That said, since you two are together a lot, have grown so large and are... um... new...” here he subtly nodded at a group of bystanders gawking at the Gaolers, the rest of the group having grown so used to their presence that they'd forgotten the furry giants were relatively new to modern Sornieth, “not forgetting your apparent need to guard whatever it was you siphoned from,” the Skydancer lowered his head respectfully, “Amaranth, we thought you would be more than suitable for this.”

“Not to mention Gaoler sounds like 'jailer'.” Zinnia pointed out through a crack in the trapdoor leading down into the more cave-like dens below the inn. “It's perfect when you think about it.” With a click the Bogsneak was gone without waiting to see the outcome.

“I believe that to be the point.” the grey Skydancer murmured under his breath.

Acacia tilted her head musingly at this. “Gaoler, hm? So the rumours are true?” Another factor to the group: they'd been together so long, even with the recent addition of Aster, that they'd all grown to know each other to an extent. So it was still a shock when a new voice joined in their conversations.

“And what rumours would those be?” A rather dishevelled Wisteria ground out bitterly, more to remind everyone that she and Orchid were still present. “We've travelled a lot and hear many juicy stories. Nothing about... Jay-Laws or whatever you said.”

“Gaoler...” Quietly corrected Orchid, the Nocturne keeping her head turned away, eyes closed tight.

Long tail flicking elegantly behind her the galaxy-strewn Guardian explained, “As I left my childhood home of Shal'anir deep within the Tangled Wood I overheard whisperings from the creatures that lurk in the shadows. They mentioned something about ancient beings from aeons past walking the land once more. I must admit I had not expected to cross paths with one let alone travel with two.”

With the others' back-and-forth about himself and possibly Alstroemeria continuing without the two Gaolers being directly involved Lupin couldn't help but feel smaller and smaller with each word. He'd not gotten the chance to speak, polite as he was to wait until conversation had ended to say his piece in case he accidentally interrupted someone, and had begun to feel more like an ornament, a living trophy as his kind, supposedly, was discussed right in front of him. Alstroemeria had tried to tell him about the other Gaolers, about life deep beneath the thick ice sheets but the bouncy, overenthusiastic way she spoke made listening difficult as she jumped from description to description without actually describing anything. And she was so clingy!

Fidgeting uncomfortably the Tundra-like ancient shuffled closer to the bardic bandits with the intention of accepting responsibility of watching them for the night. If only the others would stop talking about him and Merry long enough for him to say so- “You know, Bird, we're stood right here.” Lupin balked at the green-furred female's interjection, more so at her nickname for Skydancers. “You can ask us anything. I'd be more than happy to tell you more!” As she puffed her chest out with pride he shrunk down to the ground, really not wanting all the attention she was redirecting back to them.

“O-of course, Merry.” It was Hyacinth's turn to fidget in embarrassment, taken aback by the suddenness of her offer. “I hadn't meant any-”

“I'll do it!”Blunt claws dragged over the wooden planks as the oilslick-coloured Gaoler shrunk further into himself. He had blurted it so quickly that he'd startled himself; the pressure had reached a point he could no longer handle. A board cracked under his broad paw. A small flower grew out of the dirt beneath it. The lobby fell silent as all present dragons stared at him with a mixture of emotion. “I'll do it.” He repeated, rasping as his throat tightened. “I'll watch them for tonight.” Just please stop staring at me...

“Erm. Yes, of course.” Tugging at the tie of his cowl the Skydancer averted his gaze, clearing his throat. “Thank you for accepting. I trust you will be fine with them?”

Swinging his long neck around to regard his charges for the night, one of which glared daggers back at him while the other insisted on avoiding eye contact, Lupin opened his mouth to reply only for Merry to jump in front. “Oh we'll be fine all right.” She waved a paw dismissively, oblivious to the irritation she was causing. “We Gaolers lock up and watch all kinds of wacky things over in the Dripcave Dregs, what's two other-” A withering stare from her fellow made her shut up, smoothing her fur and lowering to the floor submissively. “You... ah... don't want me with you, huh?”

“Not tonight.” Lupin clarified, though the tone insinuated longer. Alstroemeria attempted to win him over with a sweet smile, wagging her tail like a puppy. When nothing more was said the olive dragon drooped, slinking slowly towards the trapdoor to follow Zinnia into the dark depths of the cave system. Throwing another quick smile at Lupin she, with some effort as the gap wasn't made with dragons larger than a Bogsneak in mind, managed to squeeze down into the tunnels, using her diminutive wings to help pull her along.

Once the trapdoor had closed, with a simple silent nod to one another, the remaining dragons in the foray trickled into their respective rooms, Lupin ushering Orchid and Wisteria into theirs ahead of him. “Girlfriend?” The Coatl asked playfully. Deep green fur fell over the Gaoler's face as he lowered his head, not in the mood for any more talk. “She certainly likes you. Now I don't know anything about you Jay-Laws, however I'm willing to play matchmaker if you need advice-”

“Not my girlfriend.” A low growl filled the room. A familiar sound to the one it was aimed at, not so much from where it originated. Taking a long, deep breath that was let out in an irate snort Lupin flopped on the floor next to the doorway, barring escape, laying his head on his paws in such a way he could monitor the prisoners until they all fell asleep.

Very much accustomed to such cold reception Wisteria let out her own, weary sigh. A spark entered her pale pink eyes as she turned though, a wry grin spreading on her rounded face. “You know, you make a very imposing doorstop but there's a feature of these places that you may be-” As she reached for the window something long wrapped around her wrist tightly, startling her into making a very un-lady-like squawk. Drawing back from the panes so did the leafy vine that had sprouted from outside, rejoining a living lattice blocking the other escape route. “I... see you... already thought of that.” She chuckled humourlessly, slipping onto one of the beds, still holding her wrist as if the tendril were still there. “W-well then! Good job. Bravo, even.”

An awkward silence fell between the three dragons. On the other side of the room Orchid had lain on another bed, gazing out of a gap between the vines at the dark, star-speckled sky. For a good, long while the only sounds were their own breathing, footsteps outside and muted voices as other guests chatted in their rooms. Huffing out of boredom Wisteria rolled onto her belly, wrapping her tail around herself and glowering into her pillow as she hummed curses. <When will this end, Wist?> Jolting slightly in surprise and earning herself their jailer's full attention in the moment the albino Coatl curved her neck to regard the previously soundless Nocturne. <Why do we have to keep stealing from travellers and get into trouble just to have shelter for the night? All I want is to perform for real, make people happy. Maybe start a proper band and stuff.>

<I don't know, dear.> Laying her head back on the pillow Wisteria's scowl softened. It had been several months since the Twisting Crescendo had ceased, since she'd been evicted from her clan by her own superstitious parents who, by the same logic, should also have been kicked out long ago by the other resident Coatls. Ever since she'd been forced to scavenge for food, taking what meagre shelter she could find.

It was only by luck that that one clan had let her stay as long as they did. For once there were no others of her kind there, no one to cast blame or doubt on the colourless Coatl. Few asked about her eyes even, likely assuming, as most did, that she was of Arcane. It was there that she'd shown off her vocal skills, earning a few coins that went towards fresh seafood, a warm bed and the jacket she wore. So special it was to her that she took great pains to keep it clean. Not an easy task when you're forced into a nomadic lifestyle.

It had also been from that clan that Orchid had joined her. So enthralled by the Coatl's ability to sing melodically without her native humming, and in need of a way to show off her own skill with almost any musical instrument she touched, that the Nocturne chose to leave. At the time she'd believed Wisteria to be a willing travelling performer, not asking questions when they never joined other dragons in a lair or caravan. Not until, that is, she caught Wisteria wearing jewellery she'd apparently “happened to find” not long after stopping to earn a little treasure from their first audience.

Wisteria could not lie easily at the time, giving up and explaining the truth to her new partner. It had hurt to know, yet Orchid decided to stick around out of sympathy. The Coatl needed help and company and she was willing to accommodate. Heck, they'd even been gifted with a sphinx cub and young greattusk from a band of familiar traders needing to offload their more feisty stock. Granted it was in lieu of money but seriously, who just gets given a sphinx cub and greattusk? Greed took over then, the pair pressing their luck to see what other valuable goodies they could swindle off of unwary victims. Orchid even took to riding on her greattusk, whom she'd named Djembe after comparing his footsteps to the sound of drums, and even using him in display while her partner frisked their possessions.

Then they started getting caught. A mistake here, a dropped item there. Fear took them the first time they were imprisoned, then they realised how much they'd missed proper dens, proper food. Being in jail became a goal, intentionally slipping up from time to time in order to achieve it. Enough to satisfy themselves, not enough to make a name for themselves. Orchid's ability to perfectly mimic other dragons and even replicate their movements from moments ago if it were recent enough allowed sweet-talking, blackmailing and breakouts easy.

But the more they did it, the more the Nocturne doubted what she'd done. Wisteria was taking it in stride, claiming it to be penance for being cast out. Particularly if other Coatls were present. Those groups always had something stolen from them. Even if it wasn't useful to them. Then of course was the evening prior, when the albino had outright said she was tired of it all. Although that was hard to tell if it was an act to sway the group they now were held captive by or if she'd meant it. So Orchid pressed to find out. <Be honest, Wist.> Orchid lifted herself up enough to clearly see the Coatl over her own wing, well aware of green eyes darker than her own watching her closely. <Are you really fed up of it, too, or was it more drama. Are we going straight back to stealing when we are let go?>

<What else is there?> Snapping around fully to face Wisteria, using her arms to support her front half, the Nocturne stared open-mouthed at her partner in art and crime, though her instincts quickly saw her laying on her belly with arms tucked under her chest.

<How could you say that?> Orchid practically begged. <There has to be a clan out there willing to take us in. Somewhere we can stay until we can find our feet as actual, honest-to-goodness performers?>

Lazily draping a white wing over the side of the bed, an action mirrored by the bat-like dragon opposite, Wisteria stretched and yawned. <We are actual performers.> she countered, making herself more comfortable on the straw-filled cot. <We play good music, sing good songs and make good money or get good shelter. Besides, as long as there's more Coatls around we'll never get accepted into a clan. Might as well get used to it, it's only been half a year.>

<'Only'.> Orchid repeated drily, rolling her eyes. <Wist, this isn't what I mean. I'm all for exploring the world and meeting other dragons but I want to do it as a musician, not a thief. I want to get out there and entertain people for pleasure, not out of desperation. I want to earn my prizes, not be given it out of sympathy. ...although Analika and Djembe were very nice gifts.>

Wisteria blew out a breath forcibly between her lips. <Do you even know why they gave them to us, darling?>

<Because they were overly kind dragons wanting to make a difference by giving us animal companions?>

<Kid, dear, those weren't traders. They were poachers. Illegal poachers. All the animals they had with them? Exotic. Rare. Beasts that don't belong in the Plateau. They offloaded the young of creatures they no doubt hunted and killed for skins and ivory. For free? Probably because they were being tracked down like we would if we gave ourselves away. A sphinx cub and a greattusk would go for a lot of gems, let alone treasure, in the right market normally.>

<Th-they...> Peridot eyes going wide and wings flaring with shock Orchid shot upright at the thought. Across the way the brown overgrown Tundra also raised himself up in preparation for any untoward behaviour. <That's...> A grey hand went to her mouth in horror at this theory. <No wonder 'Lika keeps biting people... B-b-but! That's what I mean, Wist! I don't want to end up like that! It's... it's not right. It's not fair.>

There was a sour tone to Wisteria's returned humming. <Nothing ever is.>

Poachers. Actual thieves who would murder animals for profit and sell the young for even more. Gems even, not just treasure. Could it come to that? Could their lives spiral so far out of control that they'd have to turn to such acts? Orchid found her despairing gaze locking onto the wary one Lupin was giving her. The Gaoler had since relaxed back into a cat-like lounge, head tilted curiously to one side. A motion she could not resist, cocking her own head at him as she settled into her own lounging state. Though hers was far from relaxed. “...I'm sorry.” Lupin's ears pricked in confusion at the change of language, straightening once he realised she was talking to him. “I'm sorry for being so much trouble.”

While he offered an expression of sympathy Lupin struggled to find the words suitable for a response, so caught off-guard he was by the apology. Flashing a small smile in reply to his facial gesture Orchid took the silence as her queue to turn in, crawling back around so that she lay on her front, then rolled slightly onto one side so that her back was to Lupin.

“Good night.” the Nocturne whispered only loud enough for the other two to hear. Wisteria merely grunted as she shifted again.

Returning his head to his paws and still kicking himself for not saying anything Lupin murmured, “Sleep well.” as he proceeded to keep further watch until he could stay awake no longer.

When he awoke the Gaoler found his charges already awake, conversing in the Coatl humming until they noticed his rousing, pausing to offer him broad grins on both sides as Orchid chirped, “Good morning!”

“Morning.” Still groggy from just waking up Lupin yawned widely, stretching first his front legs and digging arms, then back legs and tail. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes he did a quick patrol to check that what few items decorated their room were still present and that nothing seemed out of place. Once satisfied he led the two women outside, nearly bumping into a pacing Hyacinth in the lobby.

As it happened the Skydancer had felt guilty for dumping the responsibility on Lupin, opting to wait by the door in order to apologise. After a brief conversation to assure the avian dragon that all was fine a change of guard initiated, allowing the Gaoler to relieve himself and rinse off in the nearby washrooms. Comfortable, he headed into the food court for breakfast, following familiar faces down the hallway. And focusing on those familiar faces as once again passers-by stopped to gawk at him.

Unsurprisingly, most of the food on offer was seafood. This suited him fine, though he was pleased to see plenty of non-seafood dishes for those who didn't like or couldn't eat it. Procuring a decent breakfast from the gobsmacked staff Lupin set off in search for a quiet place to eat, soon being flagged down by the furry form of Gardenia. Squeezing himself into her chosen booth it warmed him to see Allium also there, having being hidden by a mountain of salad the pair had been sharing.

“About time you got here, sleepyhead.” the Tundra commented with a cheeky wink. Blinking at this Lupin peered out of the window next to them to see the sun already fairly high in the sky. Had he really slept in that long? Once the bards had fallen asleep he'd thought he'd slept rather well. That or it had ended up being that late once they'd stopped talking. Regardless he gave his little sister a blast from his nostrils before tucking in.

As the three left the inn for some fresh air Allium tugged at Gardenia's head fur, pointing at their larger brother. “Oh... right. Hey Loopy, could... could you come with us a moment?” the pistachio-coloured dragon asked, a lot more shyly than usual. “Alli wants to tell us something.”

Arching a concerned brow Lupin nodded, motioning for the pastel Tundra to lead the way as Allium quickly flitted up to cling to his antler stump. Rounding the corner down an alley the trio sat in silence a moment, no one quite sure how to begin. Allium was fighting to find words, neck frills rigid and arched back, facial fins splaying and collapsing rapidly, red, walnut-shaped eyes lacking any hint to what was going on in her mind. Patiently the furry foster siblings waited. Trying to ease some of the pressure by looking away from the monochrome Fae Lupin watched a small group of dragons leaving the village, a fair number of the local residents following them out and waving. Whoever the red Coatl, cream Skydancer, black Spiral and young green Fae were, they had made an impact.

“I-it's... It's just...” Stammering so hard she had a hard time keeping upright Allium dropped to all fours to maintain some balance. “I wa-was t-talking with... with Willow about how... how their species worked. B-being that they have n-no real... um... g-gender. A-and it... it made me wonder something.” She paused, swallowing hard as if the very words she was trying to say were gumming up her mouth. “I didn't know how... how to think.” Spindly silver fingers wrapped and unwrapped with anxiety. “B-but there were times... not all the time but some times where... being called 'she' or 'her' didn't... fit? I-I can't explain... It just feels... wrong.”

“But that's how we address or refer to females, right? Even non-dragons?” It was an innocent enough question yet Allium looked like she had been struck. Gardenia panicked, reaching out to her sister, hovered, debated if it was a good move or not.“Oh Alli! What is it? Did I say something bad?” Lupin, too, had shot to his feet to wind comfortingly around the girls.

“Don't cry Alli.”He whispered soothingly to the tiny Fae, who hiccuped out of a stubborn refusal to get upset. Lowering his head the Gaoler nose-nudged her and she twisted around to throw her arms around his snout, pressing her forehead against his course fur. “Take your time. We're listening.” As he spoke his claws worked into the dirt, an allium – the flower she had been named after – blooming in the groove.

It was some time before the tiniest dragon was able to muster up the strength to continue. Shaking her head vigorously she squeaked, “I don't know why but I hate that word. Hate being called that word and the words attached to it. It... it feels like you're calling me by the wrong name almost. It's not... it's not me.”

Bowing her head shamefully Gardenia tucked her forelegs tight to her chest as she sat down. “I don't... I'm sorry, I don't get what you're trying to say.”

Shaking her head again Allium pulled away from Lupin, splaying her wings as if to prepare for flight. “Forget it.” She snapped, kicking a small pebble. She winced as it bounced off of the flower her brother had grown for her, collapsing in on herself as emotion ran wild.

“Alli...” Delicately despite the size difference Lupin scooped up the weeping Fae, bringing her to his chest so she could cling to his fur.

“I should go.” Gardenia stated abruptly, eyes squeezed shut, brow furrowed painfully deep. “I'm not helping at all. M-maybe I should find Willow for you guys.”

“No, Dene, it's okay.” the Gaoler called softly after the Tundra. “It's not you.”

“Like you understand what's going on!” Rounding on the larger dragon the Tundra puffed out her thick, light blue coat as she glared accusingly at him. “I'm supposed to see the future or something and I still don't get it! Maybe if my supposed powers actually worked then I'd know what's happening! But I don't! And I'm just making Alli upset! So I'm leaving!” A tear soaked into her cheek fluff.

Wriggling in Lupin's hands Allium poked her head between his fingers as he pulled her away from him again. “No Gardie, don't. It's not your fault.” Fans and frills settled flat against her skin as she held out an arm towards Gardenia, asking her to stop. “I just... don't know how to explain and it's frustrating all of us.”

“Not him!”

She may as well have stabbed him. Lupin flinched at his surrogate sister's verbal attack, gritting his teeth as he struggled to find some way to calm them both down. “Of course I'm frustrated, Dene. I'm just trying to think...” He trailed off, unsure what else to say. Why was he so bad at talking? Even in moments like this when it was needed most he had no words, no way to soothe those around him.

“It's okay, Lupe.” Allium smiled at him with her fins, patting his thumb assuringly. “I'm just being weird. Don't beat yourself up.”

But he wasn't convinced. There had to be some way he could relate to... not 'her'. What could he use? What would make her comfortable? “How about we call you 'they' like with Willow? At least for now? Would that help?”

“But that's so confusing!” Stamping a foot in annoyance Gardenia sighed loudly. “'They' is for more than one! Not one! It kind of works for Willow but only 'cos that's all we call them! Alli is a girl like me!” Again Allium flinched.

Drawing his lips into a tight line Lupin searched frantically for something to distract them both with, his gaze falling on the allium he'd grown. An idea came to mind. A half-baked long shot of an idea, but an idea. Lowering his Fae sibling towards the flower he attempted to explain, “You're like a flower. Not really female or male. Maybe not both, but not either, yet able to perform like both. Does... that work?”

There was a long, silent pause. As the seconds ticked past Lupin felt more and more like he was wrong, that he'd said something stupid. Just as he opened his mouth to apologise Allium began to giggle. Waiting a moment longer the Fae snorted, failing to contain the humour, then burst out laughing. A strange, monotonous sound but laughter nonetheless. “A... A flower! I'm... a flower?”

“W-well, dryads are tree spirits. And trees and flowers are both plants. S-so...” Yup, he'd botched that one. Yet, once again, Allium began to chuckle. Throwing the confused Gardenia an equally baffled look Lupin tried to force a smile, hoping to share in Allium's elatedness, didn't quite get there. Until she- they hugged his thumb and wavered her- their fins at him in the way Faes smile. Relaxing at the sight whatever awkward mess had graced his muzzle slid into his own grin.

Sighing lightly after catching their breath Allium shook their head. “No, not quite. But it does make me feel better. I'm a flower. I'm not a girl, or a boy. I'm... me. Just me.”

Dropping sullenly to the ground across from the two Gardenia wailed, “I still don't get it!”

“We'll talk with Willow about it.” Lupin suggested, moving to heft the tormented Tundra onto his back and lifting Allium up to ride on his antler stump. “Maybe they'll help you understand.”

Next Chapter
Inventory/Notes: Breed/Gene x7

Last edited by Varethyn on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

I appreciate this chapter so much <3 I know we talked a bit about presenting nonbinary characters and I love how you've been handling Allium's gender exploration. Lupin, as always, proves to be an absolute dear and my favorite of this pack. He's just such a gentle, patient sweetheart and absolutely the glue keeping the siblings together. I hope he gets the support and appreciation he deserves in return.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

This image has been kicking around in my head for ages. While it's not exactly what I'd intended I'm largely happy with it.

Inventory/Notes: Breed/Gene x8

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Oh my god this art is SO CUTE!!! I love it +_+

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Amazing art! ! I wish I could draw like that

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

The art is nice. :)

I still have a lot to catch up on, but I've enjoyed what I've read so far. I can see why Lupin is so loved, he's a sweetheart.
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Thank you all so much! :hug:

Great to see you around, Kya :D I'm glad you're having a good time reading through. Lupin's definitely proving to be a crowd favourite!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

ImageImage

Rolled Allium, Plumeria and Magnolia. Attempted a fight in Sandswept Delta but that was a no-go so they had the full 30 rounds in Scorched Forest (dang I'm sick of that place). Allium is now lv8, Plumeria lv7 and Maggie lv10. Which means...

Someone in the IWB team finally got a gene! Woo! It's great in a way that it was Maggie who was first, though in general giving anyone on that team a gene feels good. Darn you Pinkerton for not letting me fight or else cutting said fights short! *shakes fist*

Notable drops:
Image - Didn't keep
Image - Didn't keep
Image - Cos I don't have enough of those

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Yay Maggie!! So glad to see this team finally getting genes!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

She's so pretty! <3
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

*Sighs heavily.*

Rolled Lupin, Hyacinth and Alstroemeria. They made it 8 rounds before Merry was 1HKO'd by a super-effective crit.

Rolled Anemone and Iris first so tossed in Gladiolus for a family outing. They lasted 13 rounds before Glad got focus-critted. Anemone grew to lv8.

Some days I simply can't be bothered and the coliseum takes full advantage of it. Though this is also showing how overpowered the Badly Wounded mechanic is, since by having so many dragons the ones who are Wounded only have a small chance to get rerolled and thus put in any actual danger - Hyacinth is the only one so far. I've basically given up keeping count and will only make mention of it if someone actually does get rerolled while Wounded. For reference Merry and Gladiolus are currently Badly Wounded and I'm yet to address Acacia and Allium being Badly Wounded previously.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Pinkerton doesn't think I'm done suffering. Happy New Year to you too, you git.

Rolled Iris, Zinnia and Aster.

First, a confession. I ragequit twice at the beginning. I took them all to Sandswept Delta first as they were levels 8, 8 and 9 respectively and it... didn't work out. By which I mean Zinnia and Aster both got focused with super-effective attacks within 5 rounds. As penance I restarted the counter and resolved to do all 50 rounds regardless (since I could stop at 40 if I wanted). Let me know if this is a fair punishment for any time I ragequit cos RNG with broken mechanics just isn't fun. That said, once they were all lv9 after baring Scorched Forest again and got an Ambush stone each they absolutely wrecked face. All three are now lv10. Which means...

IOU 3 genes.

Yeah I'm kinda broke. Whoops. But yay! More IWB members getting genes at long last!

Notable drops:
Image - Didn't keep (ignore the one Aster has currently, it's purely for bonding money)
Image - Didn't keep