An Ill Wind Blows (Side Pinkerlocke) - COMPLETE

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Re: An Ill Wind Blows (Side Pinkerlocke)

Unread post by Varethyn »

Day 26
Pinkerton what arE YOU UP TO

So yeah. This is a thing. Two new dragons back to back. Had this come first I would have stockpiled the apparel. Well then.

Rolled a 10, meaning Wildclaw. Meet Verbena!

Now normally I'd have bought a triple basic to make giving genes easier. However the only triple basic wildclaws on the AH for treasure were all 99k, which kinda defeats the point of getting the cheapest dragon available. I could've bought one with gems but decided I'd rather hold onto those given how much harder it is to earn them on UmbralHart right now. So it was down to this little lady and her sister for 5500t. Scries are still appreciated (and for Aster too!) if anyone feels like playing around :hug: ( <- also yay thanks Wain for bringing back the hug!)

As for the familiar. I'm humming and harring over outright keeping familiar drops from Pinkerton and only roll for coliseum drops. That said, I rolled just for fun and got a 4 anyway. So Verbena's coppercoil creeper will also be joining us! So many new characters.

As a side note I finally updated the index page! If anyone hasn't seen it, I keep a cast list in the second post updated with links to each clan member for easy viewing and an index for writing and art posts in the third. I have also been adding links to following chapters in the writing posts for anyone who'd like to reread and skip all the in between stuff. At some point I plan to do the same with WoC too.

Also! I'm making a new rule (I know I'm sorrryyyyyy) regarding writing. Since some days I have no inspiration, or simply need a break, and Pinkie has been denying me the ability to level my team I get the choice now of writing as normal or running the coliseum using the item's rarity to determine how long for:

1 star = 10-20 rounds
2 star = 20-30 rounds
3 star = 30-40 rounds
4 star = 40-50 rounds

5 and rainbow star remains reader prompts, though I also either give you the option of forcing me on a death streak or I'm forced to run a death streak if no one participates. Leaning towards giving you the option to make me do it but at the same time 5 and rainbow star quality items tend to be rare anyway :lol:

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Having a choice between writing or levelling seems like a good idea - I know I'm having a good time having a lot to read but I also know writing it isn't always a walk in the park with inspiration running away whenever it feels like it :lol: Verbena is super cute, I'm interested to see how you incorporate her coppercoil familiar, too! Maybe she made it?

ImageImage
Also, couple of scries for her! She looks really pretty as a Wildclaw, but I have a skydancer problem so-- an obligatory skydancer scry is also there. She matches Hyacinth's colours really well and, if she did make her coppercoil familiar, I reckon she could make more mechanical thingmebobs. Maybe a mechanical prosthetic (is that the right word? Mechanical support prosthetic? Idk) might be in order, as an idea if you haven't already got her covered for lore :) Double also, just saying, she's super blue despite being a fire dragon. Blue fire, perhaps? Or maybe she can't breathe fire and just puffs out wisps of smoke every now and again? Idk, your dragon, your say goes! I'm just rambling with the ideas :lol:
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Verbena is super pretty!!

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Syleye »

I like the new rules, they make a lot of sense!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

day 27

Chapter 11

It had been a worryingly longer amount of time for Magnolia to return. On the one hand it was concerning: were they okay? Had they been attacked? Had Maggie hurt herself flying too much? On the other both Iris and Hyacinth were grateful for the rest.

Normally not long after waking Cin would help the Mirror by moving her stricken legs in a walking motion and waving her tail around. By doing so it would stop the limbs from deteriorating too quickly and possibly spark a connection that would allow her to regain control. It likely wouldn't return without proper surgery but it was the best they had. Iris did her best to remain calm with the knowledge that she may never get back feeling in her hind end though it was highly embarrassing that she'd required assistance to relieve herself from now on.

Since they'd awoken early to trade with Tibby and then flee not long after when the zombie-like Guardian caught up to them they'd not gotten any exercise in yet. The Skydancer was still mentally recovering from the attack, too shaky to stand without help. As the hours slipped by he had deigned to take a short nap to better heal and Iris didn't want to disturb him.

“Hey Lupe?” she called to the fluffy dragon who was staring intently at a patch of daisies by his forepaws. When he looked up she continued, “mind giving me a hand? I need to stretch my dead legs so they don't die any quicker.” It was meant to be in humour yet mentioning death made her feel horrible.

With a quiet nod the Gaoler rose from his spot in the grass, shaking out his long fur and making his braid dance before plodding over. It amused Iris that he'd kept it there despite his earlier protests. More so that he'd attempted more while he thought she wasn't looking. “What can I do?” he asked once he was level with the Plagueborne.

“I need you to roll my legs around like I'm walking.” Iris tried to explain, wheeling an arm in example. “Since I can't move them myself I need someone else to do it for me. Dene and Alli are having fun and Cin's sleeping. Would you mind?”

He bobbed his head, moving around to her side as she lifted herself up on her front legs. “Like this?” He'd taken one of her legs with a surprisingly delicate grip and begun gently tilting it back and forth.

Twisting her long neck to see Iris nodded. “Like that, yes, but move the knee as well.” Balancing on one hand she demonstrated again with the free one, rotating it like she was taking steps in the air. A puzzled expression crossed his sharpening features as he took her foot in his other hand, sitting back on his haunches to do so.

“Better?” He asked again, managing to get a loose cycle going.

“Yep, like that!” Iris exclaimed proudly. “Do the same with the ankle, too.”

It took some fumbling and almost dropping the Mirror a few times until Lupin was able to balance her upper leg in one hand and pinch the ankle between two fingers on the other, managing to rotate all three joins at the same time.

“Perfect!” Iris congratulated the Gaoler with a beam. She felt bad for making a young dragon do this for her but he'd grown so fast both in size and in mind. It was if he were older than he actually appeared. “Now do that for a few more cycles then do the same with the other leg.”

Once again with a surprisingly soft touch the Natureborne helped exercise both legs and then her tail, grasping it at the base and rolling and flicking it in various directions. “That helps?”

“That helps more than you know.” The Mirror smiled gratefully at him. “Thank you.”

“Need do this more?”

“Every morning.”

“I help every morning?”

She hesitated. She had not at all expected him to want to do something like this in the first place let alone offer to do it all the time. “I... well yes, if you're willing.” the Mirror finally replied at the Gaoler's expectant look. “It would help Cin a lot too.”

He cracked a smile, genuinely pleased to have accomplished something. “I like to help.”

Both of them lifted their heads at the sound of heavy wingbeats approaching, as did Gardenia and Allium further across the rise. “Maggie's back!” The Tundra, who was now plastered in leaves in various places across her lanky body, cheered heartily as she raised over to join Iris, Lupin and the very much awake Hyacinth, who was peering about blearily and reaching out of habit for specs he no longer had.

Sure enough the Ridgeback had returned, alighting with some difficulty in the grass away from the group to avoid buffeting them. Out of her arms wriggled a perfectly unharmed Zinnia along with many of their bags. Once the Bogsneak and bags were out of her grip Maggie dropped to all fours to allow the black dragon to assist in untying something from her back. More satchels and – to everyone's surprise – the cart as well.

“Wait, you managed to grab all of our stuff too?” Iris exclaimed in shock. How in the world would they have had the time and agility to dodge the monster long enough to grab it all and secure it so well?

Both girls wore grim expressions at this, though it was Zinnia who explained while Magnolia flopped hard onto the ground once she was completely unburdened. “About that.” She started, gesturing for everyone to gather around as she too lay in the soft green blades. “I managed to get the thing's attention by zapping it and slipped into a dip it couldn't quite reach me in. Stupid thing didn't seem to realise it could dig me out, Stormboss be thanked.” She trailed off a moment, dipping her gaze to the spot between her forelegs.

“Thing is, not long after Mag managed to pick you all up and fly away it turned around and started to follow her instead.” Zinnia looked up again, worry marring her pointed face. “Nothing I did would distract it. I could even run up and bite its tail, what was left of it, and it ignored me.”

Concerned glances were exchanged between the others. “Why do you think that is?” Hyacinth asked at length when the Bogsneak remained quiet. “Why would it give up attacking you like that?”

Zinnia gestured with her snout at the younger members of their troupe. “I'm not completely certain but I think one of these guys was its Charge or something. I know it ain't Mag cos it ignored her when she came back for me, too.”

“What's a Charge?” Gardenia piped up, ears flattened against her skull.

“Guardian dragons have to go on a very special journey.” Iris explained to the Tundra, gaining the attention of blue, red and green eyes. “When they reach a particular age they start to feel like they need something. Or be somewhere. It changes from dragon to dragon. This journey is called their Search and what they seek is called their Charge.” She paused a moment to let this sink in. When she was content enough time had passed she continued, “That Charge means everything to the Guardian looking after it, no matter what it is. If they were to lose it, they'd do anything to get it back.”

Allium raised a hand. “Other dragon be Gardi Charge?” This made the Tundra shoot the Fae an odd look.

Iris nodded. “Even other dragons.”

Gardenia lowered her head suddenly, shaking a little. “Feel like should know this...” Lupin rested a heavy paw on his ersatz sister's shoulder comfortingly.

The Mirror turned back to the Bogsneak, catching her blue eyes and the gesturing with her head at the children and mouthing, Should we tell them?

Zinnia shook her head. “All we need to know is that we're being chased by a lumbering zombie Guardian looking to get its Charge back. We can't stay still for long. We need help and fast.”

Silence fell over the assembled dragons as they took in this information. Deciding it best not to swell on it further for now and instead focus on making use of the time they had they all split off to do their own things.

Gardenia had been quick to run over the crest of the hill again, towards where she and Lupin had found a small pond. The Gaoler had gone with her. Magnolia had all but fallen asleep, large wings flared over the grass to allow them to rest after her exertion.

After checking up on her alchemy partner Zinnia assisted the Skydancer with the wagon they'd bought, removing the front panel after some struggle and getting Iris to sit in it. It needed sanding but would do for now with some cloth and cushioning, though the wheels were slightly too small for her liking. After lining it with spare rags however it was serviceable and so Zin and Cin set about fashioning a rudimentary harness for her.

It was glorious, if a little uncomfortable and embarrassing, to finally move about without being carried by another dragon. It wasn't exact but for now Iris had freedom again and began running about whooping in exhilaration as she took the wagon for its test run around the top of the hill.

It wasn't until a little later when Gardenia and Lupin returned that she stopped, panting and arms aching but dang she needed that. Her elation subsided when she saw the way Gardenia was sulking however, though there was something else that made her grow sombre: Lupin's daisies had withered away.

With time enough on their side and Hyacinth and Magnolia still in recovery the group made a very basic, rickety camp using what loose wood they could find nearby. The best shelter managed was little more than a couple of lean-tos that could not cover all of the smaller dragons. Maggie had to deal with being fully exposed save for her own bedroll again.

With great debate it was decided who went where. Hyacinth definitely should be in one of the shelters and Zinnia elected Iris to join him while the juveniles shared the other and she slept under the stars. Iris had declined, insisting Zin stay with Cin and she stay out – that way they could find out how the wagon would work for sleeping. Everyone else said no and untied her, Zinnia all but thrusting her into the Skydancer's lean-to.

Lupin then came over, collected up Iris and set the protesting Mirror next to Gardenia and Allium, pointed at Zinnia then at the other shelter, then trundled over to lay next to the dozing Ridgeback.

That was that, they supposed.

Night came and went. The next morning saw them hastily packing everything up and gulping down a quick but filling breakfast. It was mentioned that the fish was yet to be smoked, something to remember next time they stopped. Now was not that time; they had to put as much distance as they could between themselves and the Guardian.

The question was, where do they go from here?

Once again lamenting the lack of a map between them the group set off, Iris greatly enjoying the ability to walk alongside her new friends. After a while Hyacinth perked up, recalling that the trader from before was heading towards a place called Saltwind Heights. Perhaps if they could find the road again they could follow it to this fishing village.

And so it was decided, with Maggie occasionally flying ahead to see if she could spot it. After a few sessions like this she returned with good news. If not the road from before then she'd at least found a well-used trail. Any road was better than none so they opted to follow it, stopping to camp at the curb when darkness fell again.

Content with the progress they'd made the speed fell to a comfortable walk as the road guided them to whatever destination lay at its end. Along the way, as dusk started to fall once more, they spotted a cave in the distance, deciding that will be their home for the night. As they got closer however they began to realise that it was not a naturally formed cave. Rather it looked like someone had dug it out. Regardless, it was shelter. So they slipped inside.

“Oh, it's taken.” Maggie said with a mix of disappointment and curiosity as they regarded the sleeping Guardian laying with their back to the group. “Think they'd mind?”

Zinnia shook her head. “No, let's leave. We can set up camp further up the road.”

As they took turns making noises of disappointment the large purple form stirred, a greyish-brown wing shifting so that his head could snake over his shoulder. “Oh. Hello.” The decidedly male Guardian rumbled in a somewhat subdued, emotionless tone. “I thought I heard voices.” With a deep sigh he adjusted so that he was now facing his guests.

“Sorry to intrude.” Hyacinth spoke up, giving the Guardian a small bow. “We were looking for a place to stay for the night and hadn't realised this cave was taken. We apologise and shall leave you in peace.”

“Peace.” the purple dragon scoffed, making the group exchange wary glances. “I've not known peace for over two months now.” He sighed again but as he regarded the gathered dragons before him Magnolia caught sight of something.

“Um, are you okay?” She asked softly, suppressing the urge to throw her arms around the stranger. “Your eyes look sore.”

Indeed the Guardian's pink Arcane eyes were ringed with red. As he swung his head something glistened on his face in the dwindling light. “I...” He considered his words, then shook his head. “It's nothing. Don't worry.” He shifted again so he took up less space while remaining comfortable. “You say you're looking for somewhere to stay for the night? Well, I don't have much but I'm happy to accommodate.” A smile ghosted his lips briefly. “I could use the company, if you're willing to stay.”

“That would be wonderful.” Hyacinth replied on behalf of the others, who nodded in agreement. “Thank you. My name is Hyacinth, it's a pleasure to meet another soul out in this wilderness.”

“Aster.” Aster rumbled in his sullen tone. “Likewise.”

Everyone took their turn to introduce themselves, though Lupin had to speak for Gardenia who had fallen rather shy around the large new dragon. Allium, conversely, was extremely energetic and eager to meet the Guardian, throwing questions about his Search and Charge and what it was like and if he'd found it yet.

Iris had to call the Fae down and apologise profusely for her curiosity. After all this was the first time the young dragons had seen a Guardian and not a few days ago had their quirk explained to them. Aster took it in stride, though Maggie and Lupin both noticed how unfocused he appeared at the mention of it all.

With some effort and promises to explain more in the morning to quieten the excited Fae each member found a place around the cave to settle. It wasn't deep but it was shelter for all of them. Except Maggie, who could only stick her head in. But that was fine. She was used to it.

But while they all settled in and began to fall asleep, Aster could not. The Fae's questions, while innocent and otherwise humorous, burned in his mind as guilt gripped his heart. Even with this sudden congregation of fellow dragons around him he continued to feel alone and helpless.

No. Even their company would not save him.

Next Chapter
Inventory/Notes: Breed/Scatter/G1 purchase x1

I actually had this pre-written thanks to a bout of spontaneous inspiration before the familiar pull. It's already long enough however so Verbena will join the story next chapter!
Last edited by Varethyn on Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Oooh, yay, excited to see Aster introduced! I'm very curious about what his deal is, and how the importance of Charges has formed into this story- I wonder what he'll think of the zombie guardian?

Also aw, man, I just love Lupin so much. What an absolute sweetheart and such a gentle soul.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Syleye »

Wonderful treat <3 Lupin is truly sweet and all of them have such defined personalities its easy to connect to them all

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 28
I finally got to go back to the coliseum!
...and squandered it.

Rolled Hyacinth, Gardenia and Zinnia. After reading some tips in other 'lockes and without better judgement (seriously, when will I learn?) I attempted a couple of rounds in Scorched Forest since Zinnia is lv7, with the intention of going back to Woodland Path once I was sure it was a no-go even with the tips.

So of course the one Plague caster I get not only targets the only team member who is weak to Plague but also gets a crit on her.

Seriously, self, there's a reason I made the "mixed-medium" mode. Zin and Cin finished them off and Cin is now lv6.

Inventory/Notes: Breed/Scatter x1, Gardenia Badly Injured for 7 days

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

ohh noo poor Gardenia!! I loved the last chapter btw

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I loved reading the introduction of Aster and I'm super excited to learn more about him as the chapters go on! :D Also poor Gardenia! D: Her chapter is gonna be a rough one
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

OH NOOO Sweet Gardenia, I'm so glad you set rules so she isn't immediately at risk of death (unless Pink is a nasty man). The next chapter is definitely gunna be rough. ;_; Those poor kidlets are already so important to me, and she has so much left to see and figure out!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 29
Someone's definitely more a fan of my creativity than survivability.

Here's Aster!

Inventory/Notes: Breed/Scatter x1, Gardenia Badly Injured for 6 days

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Creativity always trumps survivability apparently :lol: Aster is looking so good, love the pose! :D
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I adore that Guardian bust!! :D

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 30
This group's first death streak!

...and it was Tails. Which meant nothing happened.

I am so annoyed at how little I've gotten to go to the coliseum with this story - not getting the chance to get everyone stronger or get better at it myself - so I said screw it and went in anyway. Rolled Hyacinth, Lupin and Iris which was a godsend as Cin and Ris were lv6 and Lupe lv5, so I got to stay in the Woodland Path (remember: Death Streaks must use hardmode rules which force you to go to the venue that corresponds to the highest level dragon in the team). They tore through it easily and Iris is now lv7.

Inventory/Notes: Breed/Scatter x1, Gardenia Badly Injured for 5 days

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 31

...I am seriously starting to reconsider the gene plan. Pink, just cos it's the first of the month doesn't mean I should automatically get a new dragon. It's tempting I will admit but come on! Aster's only just arrived and I'm yet to introduce Verbena. I actually would have preferred writing :lol:

Inventory/Notes: Breed/Scatter x2 or G1 purchase x1, Gardenia Badly Injured for 4 days

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Syleye »

:lol: pinkerton is being pushy

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

hehe :D I think pinkerton likes to tease you.. lots of writing when you dont want too.. genes when you dont want too.. he has a thing for you :D

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 32
Pinkie says that I'm getting another dragon and I'm going to like it.

So I got another dragon. I suppose. I rolled a 1 which means fae!

Faceted eyes. And only 5k. Her parents had immediately been exalted, too.

Not named her yet as I've run out of time for right now. Plus I'm tempted to use my scatter scroll on her unless anyone can save her current colours :lol:

This also makes 10 dragons, which means another of the team can become Beloved! I have a feeling I know who it will be... ;) But we'll see what you guys have to say!

Inventory/Notes: Breed/Scatter x2 or G1 purchase x1, Gardenia Badly Injured for 3 days

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Man, Pink is determined to grow this clan! And never, ever shrink it, apparently. :lol:

I think this lady has a lot of potential- arcane faceted is QUITE the choice, for a clan with a complicated relationship with arcane! Her colors aren't actually too bad, I don't think.

Image Image

(also this will not come as a shock but Lupin gets my beloved vote!!)

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising