The Black Wind Howls [Darkest Pinkerlocke Reboot]

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Re: The Black Wind Howls [Darkest Pinkerlocke Reboot]

Unread post by Varethyn »

Day 5

Pinkerton realised that I won't always be writing so he tossed another material at me. Lucky him, I flipped Heads.

Chapter 1

A few weeks passed and Daedalon fell into a somewhat comfortable if lazy lifestyle. Not fully of her own intent the role she'd been given by Diaemus was not what she'd expected; he'd described it as a 'personal attendant of sorts' and indeed she had spent a good amount of time attending to his needs. However a good portion of it was simple activities such as organising his study, bringing him food and wine, offering advice with and writing letters and other busywork. Not a problem, anything to repay the Imperial's kindness after all. What bothered her most though was how much time was spent simply being with him. Not necessarily doing anything or even speaking, just being at his side as he did his own routine.

When they did talk Diaemus was curious about her and her origins, constantly asking what it was like, what she knew now and what she wanted to do. In return he would expand on her knowledge, tell tales (whether true or not she could not tell) of how Squallwatch came to be and how he became its leader. And a lot of what he found fascinating about the Aergate. When there wasn't anything in need of doing she was free to explore and should he have need of her Diaemus had given her an enchanted bell: when he rang it, she'd hear it no matter where in the world she was.

Today the Imperial was out of town for 'personal reasons' and had requested that Daedalon remain within the clan's boundary until he came back. This was standard for every time he'd leave, much to the Obelisk's annoyance as that meant she could not go far to explore. While he understood her frustrations Diaemus insisted it was for her own protection and so she'd comply.

A contented sigh left Daedalon's lips as she stared out over the Plateau, chin on paws as she rested on the balcony joined to the room Diaemus had given her. His chambers were on the opposite side, overlooking the Aergate. She would've liked such a view as well but she certainly couldn't say no to the one she got either: rolling emerald fields sprawled in every direction, dotted with small towns, camps and settlements between Squallwatch and the Great Sea. To the north hints of bamboo sprouted at the edges of Reedcliff Ascent. To the south was the Millmeadows, the myriad of sails turning mesmerising her. And then to the west was the endlessly swirling Twisting Crescendo with the colourful Cloudsong dancing above it. Earthshaker said it once blew in the opposite direction to what it was now. Daedalon couldn't imagine it.

Being stuck within Squallwatch wasn't necessarily a bad thing of course, as it gave her the chance to explore the settlement. The outside of it she'd gotten a good idea of by now, the way it followed the curve of and spiralled down and around the large hill it was situated on. But what fascinated her most was that there was so much more inside the hill as well! So high and wide and yet so steep it was that many caves and tunnels and chambers had been dug in, around and through the vast grassy mound. It was almost a whole different world in there. What little she had come to know about the underground was that little of it went near the centre of the hill. No one could say why explicitly and it was assumed it was because the castle extended far inside, with vaults and dungeons and all sorts of hidden, unspoken of rooms besides.

As she strode out onto the battlements Daedalon spotted the small, dark form of Reynauld, captain of the clan guard and one of the few friends she had managed to make so far. They'd met as he was doing his rounds through the castle and came across this strange newcomer. At first meetings were short and blunt, the Skydancer not being much one for conversation. Or so he'd shown then anyway. Perhaps it was her talkative and inquisitive nature that got him going. Or perhaps it was more talkative than he let on because of their other partner in crime.

Speaking of.

Reynauld was leaning over the stone walls, lips pursed in annoyance at something down below. Daedalon had heard it as she was leaving the tower so there wasn't much needed to ask except, “Dismas again?”

Dismas was something of a rogue and loved causing trouble for others. Frequently stealing money, food and supplies, causing commotions for the fun of it and terrorising newcomers to the town the red Pearlcatcher had something of a name for himself. Well known enough for the guard to be on his tail constantly. Why then had he not been taken in? Turns out nothing otherwise happens in this sleepy community and so Reynauld often let him get away with it, or else secretly released him later. It was rumoured that the guardsman even put Dismas up to it personally just to have something to do.

How Daedalon had managed to fall in with them so quickly she did not know. For whatever reason they both believed the Obelisk would keep their secret partnership and, better yet, they all enjoyed one another's company. Despite having been here a few weeks now and with word of the Obelisks spreading the local denizens would continue to stop and stare at her unique form whenever she passed. She didn't mind, though now and again she'd hear her new, unwanted nickname of “the Master's pet”. These two didn't do that, which she was grateful for. As odd as their friendship was and how they interacted because of it. Having friends who didn't judge her status as “the new breed” or “the Master's pet” was great, plus now she had many people to turn to and learn from.

“Who else?” Reynauld sighed without looking up at the much larger Obelisk. It continued to amaze and amuse her that a dragon so small could be the captain of anything when there where Guardians, Gaolers and Imperials around. And one Obelisk, not that she'd want that kind of responsibility. “Looks like he tricked someone into running his shenanigans again.”

Placing her broad paws on the wall Daedalon joined her friend in glancing down at the ruckus below. Near the bottom of the hill, on a flat patch in front of one of the gates used to control the flow of ground traffic, a sizeable crowd had gathered around the familiar red-and-black form and a new orange one. Even from here it was obvious it was a Guardian from their size. Their attire was, however, questionable with it's almost mismatched brown theme, marred in places with grey. The most striking piece was the pick dangling from their wing.

“Should we go see what he's done this time?” It was a half serious, half teasing question as the fluffy blue dragon shot the dark Skydancer a knowing smirk. It wasn't uncommon for him to let Dismas run with it for a while.

“I suppose we ought to.” Reynauld replied in mock-defeat as he rolled his wings and shoulders, similarly dark armour rattling as he did so. “At the very least I want to hear what story he's come up with this time.”

Voices carried high into the air as the crowd and its hosts yelled and cajoled and cried and shouted, words ineligible from this distance. Both dragons flared their wings and, with the captain leading the way, leapt from the castle to glide gently down towards the scene. Stories the pair had shared with her whirled excitingly in Daedalon's head. Had the Pearlcatcher “discovered” something? Met a “famous” dragon? “Defeated” something “dangerous”? She looked over at her companion gleefully, only for the smile to fade as he pulled up and point to a roof below them. He was frowning, and not in the persona he used to pretend to detain Dismas. This was serious.

“Is he completely insane?” Reynauld spat in a low tone as they touched down a little away yet close enough to hear them clearly now. “Why would he be spouting that nonsense?”

Tilting her head in confusion Daedalon turned back to the crowd and strained her ears to pick up everything. “...been true all along!” Dismas called over shrieks of outrage, of confusion, of... fear? “We found a secret passage inside the castle! I've seen it for myself!”

“It's true!” The Guardian added as a rush of “no way!” and “you're lying!” erupted from the gathered residents. “The passage is behind the wheelhouse, where the river passes through!” Now that she was closer Daedalon realised that the patches of grey on the orange Guardian's clothes, and Dismas's now that she looked, was actually dust and cobweb. “Your master is keeping a grave secret from you and we can't just leave it!”

“Who in their right mind would willingly work with the Shade?” Someone piped up within the throng. “And now you're saying Diaemus is? Hogwash!”

Shade. The word dug at the insides of her mind like some caged animal using its claws to escape. Ice ran down her spine, making the Obelisk shudder despite herself. “W-what are they talking about?” She whispered, having missed what Reynauld picked up on in her daydream. Why was she so unnerved?

“The Shade,” the Skydancer began, fixing her with a steady, crimson stare, “is supposedly a very powerful and very dangerous entity. Ages ago the Deities themselves were said to have fought it off as it tried to destroy the world they had made-”

“Destroy Sornieth?”

“Yes.” Undeterred by the interruption he continued, “No one knows entirely why, only that the Deities fought it back and formed the World Pillar to keep it at bay.” Another shudder, this time more pleasant as the Pillar was mentioned. “Except it came back when the Arcanist was born and now lives in fragments around the planet.” Plague eyes narrowed slightly as he frowned under his helmet. “But as far as I'm concerned it's just a fable.”

It was Daedalon's turn to frown. “But if it's just a fable then why is everyone getting so worked up by it?” Including me, she added silently.

“Because in the story the Shade exists only to destroy. So for one to invoke its name generally means they want to destroy something, or someone.” Claws clicked as he moved to the ridge of the rooftop they stood on. “It's been heavily rumoured for a long time that it does exist and that many have attempted to use it in some way. Mostly it's the reason why wildlife goes berserk out of nowhere.” He plumed tail swished behind him as he poised to fly. Noticing this, Daedalon prepared herself to take off as well. “Basically they're claiming that our leader is running Shade experiments in a secret vault beneath the castle. Idiots.”

Both leapt from their perch towards the gathering, much of which had begun to disperse as other guards that had arrived as the pair was talking began to usher them away. A larger gap was formed hurriedly as Daedalon came in to land, giving Reynauld plenty of space as well as he strode towards his friend and the stranger. Ignoring the salutes from his guards the captain stuck his face right into the Pearlcatcher's and demanded, “And what in the Deity's names do you think you are doing?!”

“Giving them the truth!” Dismas shot back insistently, a glint of adventure in his golden eyes even as concern laced his words. “All this time, I knew something was off. And now I've seen it for real! All thanks to Musard here.” The Guardian bowed, pick rattling against various hooks intertwined in the thin rope keeping them together.

“And who are you, outlander” Reynauld asked the larger dragon, “to come to our community and start poking around and spreading rumours?”

Giving off a highly offended air Musard replied brusquely, “Excuse you but these rumours have been circling for a long time. I simply wanted-”

“It was rumoured,” the Skydancer cut in just as bluntly, “that the Shade was locked away within the hill and that's why we don't dig that far in. There was no mention that Diaemus was in any way involved with it much less conducting experiments! We've already had many individuals leave in fear of those lies, we don't need more thinking the Master is corrupt!” This was news to Daedalon, the Obelisk standing quietly aside as she drank in the argument. “Honestly Dismas,” he turned back to the rogue, “this time you've really gone too far.”

The force in the Skydancer's voice made the Pearlcatcher flinch, clearly hurt by his friend's accusation. Then with a low, almost desperate tone returned with, “Then come with us and see for yourself.”

“Shall we take them away, sir?” One of the guards, a muddy red Ridgeback with black ringlets decorating his hide, asked curtly. Already he had a large hand on Musard's shoulder and a yellow Tundra with faint blue stripes shuffled awkwardly next to Dismas.

Reynauld glared at the two dragons in front of him then directly at Dismas, who returned the gaze with a daring stare. He knew, Daedalon thought, that the captain wasn't going to do it. And indeed, with another flick of his long tail, Reynauld turned away with a huff. “No, let them go.” The two guards exchanged questioning looks. “However, if this happens again...” He whirled around to stick his beak-like snout right in the Pearlcatcher's face. “Then there will be consequences.” With that he gestured to the Obelisk the he was returning to the castle and prepared to lift off.

“Ah but we're hitting up the tavern together later, right?” Dismas called jovially after his friend. Plum-coloured plumage ruffled slightly right before the Skydancer took to the air and flapped away. The rogue chuckled, waving off the guards like he had any authority to command them and sidled up to Daedalon. “And what about you, Dae? I'm sure you're dying to see the hidden vaults.”

Having paused a moment to see off the Ridgeback and Tundra Musard also joined them. “Friends of yours?” She muttered dryly, clearly not caring for the situation she'd found herself in.

“Only Daedalon here and grumpypants Reynauld he flew away already.” Dismas clarified almost proudly.

“Daedalon?” the Guardian repeated. “The Master's pet I've heard so much about?”

The Obelisk in question had been preparing to answer, now put off by that stupid nickname. Puffing out in annoyance she instead said, “Honestly, no. I don't like what you've been saying about Diaemus. He's too nice a dragon to work with such things.”

Dismas's smiled faltered slightly as Musard adjusted her battered overcoat. “Surely your Wind heritage begs you to explore though, right?”

“I'm definitely interested!” the blue dragon admitted, torn between excitement and offence. “I just don't want to encourage slandering the Master is all. So I'll pass for now. Thank you.” Like the Skydancer before her Daedalon motioned that she was heading back to the castle before spreading her dark wings and bounding skyward.

“Well Musard will be sticking around and you know where to find me if you change your mind!”

Something made her pump her wings harder than normal, putting on unnecessary speed to get back to her chambers and alighting on her balcony. Striding inside she began to pace around the circular room, deep in thought. Largely arguing with herself over whether to believe Dismas and this Musard character about the hidden passages inside the hill, about the supposed hidden chambers inside. The idea blazed with possibilities that needed to be confirmed by seeing them. In amongst the personal tug-of-war though was a question she didn't want to ask aloud.

If it truly is real, then was Diaemus really involving himself with the Shade?

Next Chapter

Small note: I realised a couple of names might be confusing to pronounce, so I added how I personally pronounce them to the Stage Coach.
Last edited by Varethyn on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

uhh Diaermus and the shade... intriguing!!

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 6

ImageImageImage

Pretty standard romp through the fields honestly. Musard did take a crit to the face but landed her own in kind. Dismas and Daedalon also landed crits which encouraged someone else at the same time so all in all the team had their SP reset.
Musard is now lv3.

Notable loot:

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 7

ImageImageImage again.

Grinding exp in the Fields is a slog now, but far better than the current alternative. It was crit-central on the dragons' side and the enemies didn't get the chance to attack at all, so needless to say it was quite a fun and stress-free adventure.
Thanks to some exp camps Daedalon and Dismas are now lv5.

Notable loot:

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 8

ImageImageImage

Pinkerton's setting us up for something. Wary as I am I'm glad I got Reynauld a chance to relax (low as his SP may have been in the grand scheme of things). After I got RNG to play nice and not send Dismas out on his own that is. Easy 30 rounds in the Fields, nothing of note happened.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Pinkerton defo plaining something but it must be nice to have some quiet time

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 9

Flipped Heads for story time!

Chapter 2

After spending some time mulling over things, Daedalon decided she didn't know enough about the Shade to be overly concerned about it. Let rumours be rumours. Satisfied with that idea the Obelisk smiled, shook out her fur and nodded to herself as she returned to the balcony. It was only a story anyway, right? Earthshaker would have told her more otherwise, surely. Of course, that still left the matter of the secret passage behind the watermill and the secret underground vaults of the castle. Should she investigate those? Dismas was right that it intrigued her...

Oh what the heck, one look wouldn't hurt. Plus it was still inside Squallwatch so she wasn't breaking any rules. Her feet had practically already left the balcony before the thought had finished, wings catching the wind and carrying the blue dragon around the settlement as she scouted for the building in question. Flying around was gradually getting more peaceful as time went on; more often than not everyone she'd fly over would stare up at her either in awe or fear or resentment. Now very few still did that. Although, now that she thought about it Daedalon noticed there were less dragons around right now.

As the river came into view so did the reason. A large crowd of dragons had started gathering at the watermill, with many of Reynauld's troops blocking access. Seems Dismas and the new girl – Musard? - had an effect on some of the residents after all. Well sphinx feathers. Turning around and finding a quiet place to land, Daedalon glanced in the direction of the mill with cheeks puffed out in disappointment. Now what?

Letting her feet take her wherever the green-eyed Obelisk found herself outside Squallwatch abbey. While not a religious dragon herself she always appreciated the architecture and the peacefulness often found within. It was good that those who enjoyed that sort of thing had a place to worship the Windsinger and the winds in general, especially after what was said to have happened with the Crescendo. Many Windborne dragons would come here to meditate, centring themselves to find inner peace or simply peace and quiet from the world outside, or to pray and give thanks to their reigning Deity. And hope that the wind doesn't stop again.

Across the way from the abbey lay the local graveyard. It was a fair size, much too large for the amount of inhabitants currently at rest here. In part because of differing Flight ideas on how to send off their lost loved ones, mostly because so few had perished in recent days. Mostly the elderly and the sick, though a few other unfortunate souls joined them along the way. So big was the otherwise relatively small graveyard that many chose to bury pets and familiars here as well.

A large male Guardian sat at a lonely stone in the corner, a space marked out next to it that matched him in size. Daedalon swallowed, fretful tears suddenly stinging the back of her eyes as she continued on. That Guardian had been there ever since she'd arrived and long before. It was said his Charge was buried there and he refused to leave it, likewise refusing to eat, drink or even speak to anyone else. He'd marked the area next to the grave himself. She didn't want to consider the implications.

Whoever had founded Squallwatch initially had chosen a good spot for these places, out in a flat, quiet, secluded part of the lair. Within the walls but outside the town proper. It made it serene, a good place to come and think and simply escape the bustle of everyday life. Now Daedalon passed under a gate in the inner wall that separated the two areas. Here the hill began to slope up with more caves and buildings replacing the grassy sprawl. At this end it was largely residential and pocked with openings in the hillside, trees, dugouts and assorted living spaces for each breed of dragon's preferences. A large cave mouth offering passage to the other side of the hill yawned in the soil.

The hill flattened out again, large enough to accommodate an entire troupe of merchants if they lined up in a circle around the plaza built here, a wide path leading back down into the rest of the Plateau and out of the main gate like the tongue of some giant, earthen beast. This was where the bulk of trade between clans took place, even now there were several carts and wagons bearing a rainbow of colours and crests along with a stage coach bringing in visitors seeking to to tour the land. A stable took up one side next to the gate where traders could pen animals used to haul their wares.

Trade ranged from produce to precious metals and stones. Squallwatch didn't have its own dedicated farmlands save for a few small plots here and there. Likewise there was no ranching, no animals raised for meat and resources so the community relied on getting its food from elsewhere. In exchange there was a blacksmith who could work the metals into useable weapons and armour. Set up on the edge of the plaza between other stores and stalls a burly Snapper worked tirelessly to create custom-fitted helmets, breastplates, gauntlets, boots... whatever was needed. For a little extra he'd decorate them. For a bit more extra he'd make weapons. These were more expensive since very few dragons actually used them to fight with and more so would use them to decorate themselves or their dens.

Continuing off from the trading area the road split: the lower path hugged the foot of the hill and was reserved for more residential building and excavation until it hit the second inner wall where the river curved in. The upper path spiralled its way up the hill like a coiled snake as it led further into Squallwatch and, ultimately, to Diaemus's keep. Naturally at such a split sat The Laughing Bat, the local tavern. Its sign swung in the breeze, depicting a Runic Bat with its mouth open and angled in such away to appear as it was described. It sort of worked, though no doubt some artistic licence was employed to make it more believable. On a similar vein the chains emitted a high-pitched squeak as the sign swung. The owner insisted it was the bat laughing, purposely not fixing or oiling them to keep up the 'illusion'.

Needless to say, this part of town was always very loud between the blacksmith's hammer clanging, the hissing of the forges, the chatter and bartering between traders and the gossip and revelry that spilled from the tavern. Daeadlon moved quickly on to spare her ears. Sometimes she stopped in on The Laughing Bat; while it wasn't really her scene Dismas and Reynauld often frequented it. Dismas for recreation, Reynauld for relief. Whatever their reason she enjoyed their company. Idly the Obelisk wondered if Musard would be joining them now.

Following the path further revealed further stores and shops of varying kinds: clothing, accessories, alchemy supplies, jewellery, scrap, antiques and curios. Some had a structure, tree, scoop or cave next to them where their owners lived. Some had gardens, others storage yards. Yet further up was a small library of sorts – 'of sorts' as they collected books and tomes and scrolls of all kinds including ancient texts that were for display purposes only.

Further yet was an adventurer's guild where aspiring adventurers would gather for training in offence and defence against raiding beastclans and the increasingly hostile wildlife. Here dragons could do some light sparring to better their skills both physical and magical, exchange information and pick up odd jobs and requests to deal with various issues around the general area. Most of these happened beyond the walls as the Squallwatch guard could take care of issues in and around the town, though now and again help could be required to help locate a thief or to fight back against something tunnelling into the underground passages.

Then the very crest of the hill was walled off to the public, enclosing vast gardens surrounding the keep. Sculpted topiaries, hedge mazes, pictures recreated with the careful placement of different flowers, trees, ponds and plenty of seating and lounging areas. A few huts were dotted around as use as sheds or to house a number of groundskeepers who tended the gardens: raking gravel, feeding birds and fish, trimming the bushes and keeping pets and familiars in line and so on. Daedalon sometimes helped out with these chores as she did with any around the keep and its lands so she knew her way around even on foot.

All told it would take a medium-sized dragon roughly half an hour to climb the hill by following the path at a casual walking pace. While Daedalon appreciated the time it took to amble all the way, giving her time to think about what to do, she wasn't a mid-sized dragon. She wasn't large either but it certainly didn't take her nearly as long as others did. Finding herself within the castle gardens already disappointed her. She hadn't decided yet! Grateful as she was to Diaemus, being disallowed to leave the lair while he was away was really dull. Maybe she could go check if Rey was about and ask why he got guards to block the secret passage already. If it was there. Then again there were a lot of dragons poking around the watermill... Still, it was something to do.

Crossing the garden eventually the stone walls of the keep came into view between the plant life. Smoke billowed from a building to her right, indicating that the keep's personal blacksmith was hard at work. This one was far larger and much grander than the one in town, specialised in developing and maintaining armour and weaponry for the guard dragons. Next to it was the armoury it was all stored in when out of use.

Since, then, the barracks were on the other side of the keep Daedalon decided to fly the rest of the way. Hopping up a sloped ornamental rock the blue dragon leapt into the air, flapped a couple of times and then glided around the outside of the massive building to get to her destination. Landing neatly in front of it she smoothed out her fur and pushed open the larger door that dragons her size used, put on a wide grin and poked her head inside. Then frowned. Empty.

With a sigh she backed out and closed the door behind her. There was nothing interesting going on and nothing worth doing and now her friends had vanished. Granted she hadn't even tried looking for Dismas, but then after his outburst earlier he and Musard were probably hiding somewhere. And being captain of the guard Reynauld was likely on patrol. Still, that left her with nothing to do and nowhere to go. Defeated, the Obelisk clambered on top of the barracks to gain height for easy flight, caught a breeze and made her way up to Diaemus's study. Maybe something was in the wrong place or not put away.

Today was going to be a long day.

Next Chapter

Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Chapter 2 is up!

Day 10

...oh! I wasn't expecting one of these so soon. As it happens, I'd gotten Dismas and Musard shortly before they became RTB, and of course Daedalon was ready from the off. Now to decide how things should go...

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 11

ImageImageImage

I... forgot to flip a coin. Oh well, content! Since they were all lv4 or 5 we had to go to Woodland Path. I was a little worried because of the introduction of elemental attacks, but none got the chance to go off. Dismas did receive a crit at one point but Reynauld's been working on his field medic skills and patched him up easily. All in all an uneventful, mostly stress-free (sorry Dismas) Death Streak.
Reynauld is now lv5.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 12

Flipped Tails for an Oppressive Aura!

Image 7
Image 5
Image 5
Image 2

Musard was uncertain for a moment but otherwise no problems here!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

been too hot to read.. i get on it once the temperature gets lower..sorry :hug:

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Missed yesterday's post due to computer issues. Bleh.

Day 13

Image (I actually lost what I pulled from Pinkerton by accidentally closing the browser after grabbing it. This is what Crim was after.)
ImageImageImage

Training Fields was beginning to become a bit of a drag, so I opted to attempt the Woodland Path. Amazingly it went fairly smoothly with everyone landing at least 2 crits along the way. Which has me looking to work on my SP values because I did not anticipate they'd make so many! At this rate everyone will be stress-free after each fight. Granted it's still early days and the dreaded Scorched Forest is coming up. Not sure whether to remove stress-relief through crits entirely or just the bonus teammate roll.
Everyone is now lv6.

Notable loot:
ImageImageImagex4

Day 14

...I'm also reinstating the "and makes sense lorewise" rule. It's far too early for this, though I did come up with a decent idea for the previous nest (whose eggs I shall wait to hatch until the next story opportunity I can address it). In the meantime I have many eggs to choose from to hatch instead! Which shall I go for: Arcane, Fire, Plague, Lightning, Nature or Nocturne? :D

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Nocturne! Could play well with the Shade influence ? (still on chapter one)

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Nocturne it is! Meet Sauvigni (sow-VEE-nyee). Yes, like Sauvignon.

Day 15

Flipped Heads for story time.

Chapter 3

A sigh escaped Daedalon's lips as she rested her head on her paws, leaning against the balcony and staring out at the green expanse sprawling out below her. The sigh was not contented this time, the view not comforting or inspiring. She was bored, restless and confined. Another few weeks had passed and she hadn't gotten any closer to finding her own place. Or if she even had a place. So much time was spent stuck in Squallwatch or helping Diaemus with this or that. While she was very much still grateful to him for what he'd given her the obelisk was growing increasingly frustrated with how much time he wanted to spend with her.

The days the Imperial left the colony for personal reasons was getting more and more frequent to the point that he was missing overnight once. These days meant Daedalon couldn't leave to explore. And on the days he was present, any time she spent away from Squallwatch was cut short by the ringing of the bell. Not just once had she considered disobeying or at least delaying her return, but never could she find the heart to do so or say no. At the same time the itch to fly and travel the world and see the things only spoken of in dreams was becoming unbearable.

Not to mention the not-quite-right sensation.

It wasn't obvious enough to claim that it was definitely happening but the Obelisk could swear the sky had darkened slightly since her arrival in the Windswept Plateau. If only she could place what was going-

The bell rang again, a soothing yet noticeable chime that would ordinarily be easy on the ears and mind, now aggravating and disruptive. Diaemus wanted her again. Probably to sit obediently at his side as he greeted some other noble or higher-up individual. Daedalon couldn't help but notice how often this was happening compared to the times he actually needed her help, the title of “Master's Pet” now more fitting than it was an insult. It made her feel sick. But this was the promise she made and so she'd best honour it. Her legs felt stiff as she forced herself to follow the twisting corridors of the Keep towards his study.

Aside from an initial friendly greeting the procedure was quiet between the two dragons as they worked to find certain books, tomes, scrolls and writing tools and then reorganise around the gaps left behind. What was located was transferred to Diamus's desk, a large, heavy wooden thing decorated with ornate candles, set against the right-hand wall and faced so the writer could look out the doorway leading to the balcony ahead of them.

The left-hand wall was lined with sturdy bookshelves, some of which were used instead to house tools and trinkets instead of the reading material that filled the rest of the storage, until reaching the large, arched doorway leading to the spiralling staircase leading down into the rest of the keep. Another door, similar in size and shape, sat behind the desk and lead to another set of curved steps leading to Diamus's bedchamber. Daedlon had never seen his personal room, it being one of very few that was off-limits to the Obelisk. She didn't mind; certain things were meant to be kept private after all and what was more private than the place one slept?

“Master, may I speak with you about something?” Daedalon asked at length as she replaced an unneeded book in its space on a shelf.

Without looking up from the scroll he'd unravelled on the desk Diaemus replied, “Oh dearest Daedalon, you know you may call me by name.” With a snort of disappointment the ashen Imperial rolled the scroll back up, tied it with a string and held it out for his attendant to take.

When it's just the two of us. Daedalon finished silently as she took the rolled parchment and popped it on top of a pile of other, already read scrolls. “I know.” she admitted. “It just doesn't feel right not calling you by your title.”

Diaemus smiled warmly at the comment. “I am flattered you're willing to address me as such but do know that, for you, it really isn't necessary.” Propping himself up on his elbows and arching his long, thin claws together he regarded Daedalon patiently.

“Right, of course Mas- I mean, Diaemus.”

The Imperial chuckled in response to the fluffy dragon catching herself. “Of course you may speak. I do so apologise for not being around as much as I should. Personal business and what have you.” He waved a hand before returning it to its supportive position. “It must have been very dull and restrictive for you not being allowed to go far during that time.”

Daedalon offered a guilty smile as she turned to retrieve a large, black, leather-bound tome, pausing to admire the gold inlay and writing before hefting it over to the desk. “I... could say more on that but I feel I've already bored you enough with talking about my dreams all the time.”

“Ah but you you have good reason to! After all, you only recently awoke to this world – it's only natural that you'd feel... trapped here, in a sense.” Diamus pushed away from the desk as the tome was slid towards him so he could pull it closer himself. “There's so much to explore beyond our walls and naturally your Wind energies only fuel your desire to travel. It must be excruciating for you.”

Daedalon sat back on her haunches and snatched a look out the open door leading to the balcony as Diaemus flipped open the thick leather binding to skim the first page, admiring the view of the Aergate even from this distance as its floating rings turned slowly. “Well, yes I suppose.” Mentally she argued with the Master about being allowed to go further and that it wasn't fun staying here any more. Only for her heart to give out in the form of a soft sigh as she added, “But I still need to pay you back for all of this. Staying in Squallwatch Keep, let alone Squallwatch itself, I mean.”

Long whiskers twitched and sharp teeth were exposed as the Imperial smiled over the dusty pages. “But of course, and I shall continue to feel honoured that you choose to remain here.”

Choose. There was that word again. Making it feel like she could leave whenever. And to be fair, she probably could. If only she'd build the nerve to say so. Instead the debt of gratitude weighed her down, preventing such choices. Trapped by her own guilt. Daedalon looked outside again, unable to meet his deep, red eyes even as they returned to the words in the tome. There was a rustle as the page was turned. Aside from birdsong and the chatter from some of the guards outside there was silence for what felt like a longer time than it really was. Why could she not summon the courage to face him on this?

Instead, with an air of defeat that only she could sense, the Obelisk asked the question she'd intended on asking from the beginning. Before the topic of adventure came up and ruined her mood further. “Aren't you concerned about the rumours spreading around town?” It wasn't what the guards were talking about, but the same comments had begun being whispered ever since the spectacle Dismas and Musard had put on a while ago.

“Rumours?” He barely looked up from reading as he spoke, very little in the way of curiosity or worry in his words. It was as if he'd been expecting the question.

After waiting a second to see if Diaemus would say anything else Daedalon continued, “About the Shade? And that... some think you're conducting experiments on it in chamber below the castle? Which is why none of the tunnels go near the centre of the hill...?” She trailed off, ducking her head into her thick, curly mane when the grey-scaled dragon continued to study the tome with more interest than he did in what she was saying.

He must have noticed her discomfort as he lifted his antlered head to regard her steadily, his smile never wavering as he let out his own small sigh, closing the tome and resting on it as he finally replied. “I understand that this troubles you, and yes I did hear about that rogue's outburst the other day. Unfortunately things like this have been brought up many times during my vigil. Attempts to make me step down through shame and unpopularity. A pity, truly, that I haven't proven myself a reliable leader to my own domain.”

Diaemus chuckled, a hollow, mirthless sound as he wound his way around the desk to place his paws on Daedalon's shoulders, causing the Obelisk to look up at him. “I wouldn't worry yourself over such trifling details. The Shade is nothing but a hatchling's story for tired broodmothers and my intentions remain absolute.” Waving a paw at the tome on his desk the Imperial finished by adding, “We've found what I wanted, with much thanks required on your part. Why don't you have the rest of the day to yourself whilst I busy myself here?” Even though he'd not really stopped smiling something about it became warmer, putting Daedalon at some ease.

Relaxing muscles she didn't realise she'd tensed up the Obelisk returned a grateful smile of her own as she said, “Thank you. I appreciate that.”

At first Daedalon had retired to her room to brush her fur of dust and cobwebs accumulated from the tomes, only briefly pondering why they were so unkempt before turning her attention to the balcony. However, no matter which direction she looked in, how much she flared her wings with the intent of launching into the sky, the blue dragon simply couldn't bring herself to fly. Diaemus was present in his study, she could leave and go as far as she liked. Wherever she liked. Yet...

With a growl of frustration she flopped onto the smooth stone platform, gazing out over the grassy fields. Today simply wasn't a day for exploring it seemed. Uninspired, she was content to simply lay there for a while. Well, content was probably the wrong word. More she was doing it out of lack of idea for something to do. After spending a few minutes laying there huffing with boredom Daedalon decided that this wasn't how she wanted to spend the rest of her day.

Getting back to her feet and shaking out her pelt she realised she hadn't seen either of her friends yet. Best place to check would be the Laughing Bat, she figured. Mind made up the Obelisk took off after all, arcing around to spiral towards the tavern.

Landing with a surprising grace for her size, and ignoring the expected stares of the outlander traders passing through, she padded over to shoulder open the larger set of doors. Even before she'd entered the air was thick with voices and the scent of dozens of assorted foods and beverages. Now that the door was open and she pushed inside it was like her senses being hit with a brick wall. So thick was the air and loud the voices that it was almost disorienting for newcomers. Luckily, Daedalon was no longer a newcomer. An infrequent enough visitor to still feel the effects, however, just not as harshly.

“...right as she was about to sneeze!” Dismas's voice rang out above the chatter, followed by a roar of laughter. Clearly she'd arrived right at the end of a joke or story. Disappointing, but at least she knew he was here. The next challenge was getting to him. Carefully weaving between the tightly-packed patrons the green-eyed dragon shortened the distance between herself and her Pearlcatcher buddy, muttering apologies each time she bumped into someone whether it were her fault or not.

Soon she got close enough only to see that he was deeply invested in a conversation he was holding with a group of other, similarly dressed dragons gathered around on stools, benches, coiling poles or the floor itself. Amidst the other tavern noises it was impossible to hear what they were talking about and she didn't want to be rude and interrupt. At the same time she didn't enjoy being in here on her own. As Daedalon started heading back towards the doors she spied a familiar set of purple wings, an impish grin cracking her blunt face as she slunk over to join Reynauld.

“Hey, Rey!” She shouted over the conversations behind her as the Skydancer lifted a glass of something she couldn't identify to his thin lips, pausing as he heard her and glowering irritably at being disturbed. At recognising his friend the captain's stern face softened to a dismissive 'oh it's just you' kind of expression, resuming his drink as the Obelisk sat on a large, low bench next to him. “Didn't think you'd come to a place like this.” Daedalon commented in a teasing yet also slightly curious manner. “Because of your...” frowning, she pointed to her forehead to mime the jewel on his. “Emotion-tracking head-thing.”

This made Reynauld snort into his beverage, causing him in turn to sputter, swallow heavily and then sit coughing for an alarming amount of time, catching the attention of the bartender. “Wrong hole again, luv?” the purple Bogsneak drawled in an accent Daedalon didn't recognise as the Obelisk admired the butterfly patterns tattooed onto her wings. Taking a few deep breaths Reynauld simply waved her away, eyes squeezed shut as he nodded a confirmation. Shrugging, the bartender turned to Daedalon. “Don't see the Master's Pet come 'ere often. Wanna order somethin'?”

The question was asked innocently enough, it was her job after all, but the nickname soured the words completely. “Um, no thanks. I'm just here to see friends.” Daedalon replied as levelly as she could through the offence and gestured to the ruffled Skydancer next to her. With a shrug the Bogsneak went to serve someone at the opposite end of the bar, allowing the pair to focus on each other. “Sorry about that. Are you okay?”

With a final wheeze Reynauld regained some of his shattered pride, righting himself and staring tiredly at Daedalon. “Not the first time, won't be the last.” There was accusation in his red eyes, though the actual blame was left unspoken. “'Emotion-tracking head-thing', honestly...”

“Well what else was I supposed to call it,” the Obelisk countered, amused, “when you only call it a 'forehead gem' yourself?” Reynauld lifted a bony finger to object, only to fail to come up with his own counter and sulk over his drink, muttering something.

“Hey you two!” Reynauld's saviour from further teasing barged in in the form of Dismas, the red Pearlcatcher slipping himself in between the pair on the edge of Daedalon's bench. “Didn't think I'd see either of you in here!”

“Me neither...” Was the short response before the Skydancer brought his glass back up to his mouth, taking several, long gulps. Dismas just snorted in response, placing his own, freshly refilled flagon on the bar as he got comfortable. “What about you, Dae? Definitely never pictured you to hang around a crowded place like this.”

Drumming her fingers nervously against the bench as she spotted Dismas' friends whispering to one another and pointing at her Daedalon dipped her head, shuffling uncomfortably. “I was looking for you two, actually.” She admitted quietly, then repeated herself when she realised he couldn't hear her.

“Ahh, Diaemus got you cooped up again huh? Bored?”

“Actually I'm free to go today. He's reading in his study.”

Dismas cocked his head curiously. “Really? Thought you'd be out flying around the Plateau by now.”

“I just... didn't feel like it.” Daedalon shrugged. She chanced another look at the group, flinching back when a rainbow of eyes stared back at her. One of them was snickering.

Taking a sip from his own drink Dismas shrugged in turn. “Eh you get days like that. Got the whoooole world at your wings and you'd rather laze around at home. Happens.” He offeref a toothy, knowing grin then gestured above him. “Well here I am, there's Grouchy McGrouchface and Musard's up there in our room. She'll probably be down soon.”

“'Our' room?” Reynauld inquired warily, ignoring the nickname Dismas gave him to focus on the rest of the sentence. “What do you mean, 'our' room? You've barely known each other a month and you're already sharing space?”

Another round of giggles and chuckles from across the bar. Thankfully to Daedalon it was not aimed at her this time. “Pfft, sorry dad I didn't know I wasn't allowed to like female dragons.” A golden eye winked at the Obelisk, to yet another series of tittering from the crowd that caused her to hold her head in her paws in embarrassment.

“You're lucky I let you get away with these things.” Once again the now almost-empty glass went to the Skydancer's mouth, the leaden dragon dismissing himself from continuing this farce.

Heavy footsteps could be heard through the wooden ceiling then, as a large dragon shuffled around upstairs. They lightly thumped their way to the staircase, preferring to step down rather than fly or glide in the available space in the stairwell, revealing themselves to belong to Musard. Undeterred by the crowd before her the orange Guardian let her own bulk clear the way as she approached the trio. Despite the smile of greeting Daedalon noted something in her deep, purple eyes. Something wasn't right. Not-quite-right, she thought with realisation as the sensation niggled at the back of her mind once more.

“Heya Moose!” the Pearlcatcher called over the cacophony of voices as she sat down on a similar bench to the Obelisk's. “How're the eggs doing?”

“Eggs?” Daedalon cut in excitedly.

“Eggs?” Reynauld echoed, more a demand than an exclamation.

“Yes, eggs.” Musard confirmed, a slight hint of dread hidden in her otherwise proud words. “Actually Dismas, that's what I-”

A thin fist slammed on the bar, making a surprisingly loud bang amidst the chaos and making the nearby flagons and glasses rattle. “What the hell do you mean “eggs”?” The Skydancer's red eyes danced between his friend and his partner-in-crime. “Did you two seriously...?”

“A casual fling.” Dismas waved the topic off calmly as if it were a simple thing and didn't matter, causing the guard captain to sputter in barely contained rage. Then the Lightborne's grip on his drink strengthened as he frowned deeply, suddenly serious. “A casual fling that turned into a big thing.”

With the bird-like dragon still struggling to centre himself Daedalon piped up in attempt to lighten the mood. “Well congratulations you two!” She said merrily, clapping her broad paws together. “It's amazing that you fell in love so quickly, unless you'd known each other before?”

Dismas grunted and Musard suddenly seemed infatuated with something on the floor. “Nah, we'd met not long before we tried to get word out that the Shade is right under our feet.” he clarified, swirling the remains of his beverage absently. “And we... We don't feel that way 'bout each other.”

The ignorant Obelisk paused, unclasping her paws and settling back on the bench uncertainly. “What do you mean? Isn't that how-”

Musard snorted a laugh and the Pearlcatcher's whiskers twitched as he flashed a knowing grin. “Well yeah, usually.” Then it faded again as he turned away. “Usually.”

Thoroughly confused Daedalon fell silent, flicking her emerald gaze between the three fellow dragons in hopes that someone would explain what was going on. Eggs came into being when a male dragon and female dragon share magic, which happens when they loved each other, right? Discretely she lay a paw on her belly, wondering if she'd one day get to experience such an event. So then... why was this a problem?

“You were drunk, weren't you?” Something about Reynauld's tone sliced right through the other patrons' activities, heard clearly within the whirl of voices. Musard looked up, her expression seeming almost to dare him to continue. Dismas flinched slightly, nothing more. The Skydancer continued his accusations. “The pair of you got so drunk that you shared magic. Whether you knew you did or not.”

“Yes it was an accident!” The Pearlcatcher snapped, finally reaching the end of his tether at his friend's probing. He slammed his tankard on the bar loud enough for the bartender to glare at him. After taking a deep breath he added, “It was an accident, but I ain't no monster.” His drink tipped forwards as he inspected what was left of it. “We don't love each other, but I ain't about to ditch and make her raise them on her own.”

A soundproof bubble enveloped them, an invisible barrier that made the room feel silent despite the revelry abounding all around them. Reynauld sat with his face in his claws. Dismas sidled a little closer to Musard, who shielded the group from sight using one of her large, black-blue wings. Daedalon hunkered awkwardly in the middle. This was not at all how she'd imagined the day would go. If only she'd had the inclination to travel instead, maybe this could have been avoided. Perhaps she'd better excuse herself, return to her room and sit in stoneshape for a while until things blew over.

It was Musard who popped the bubble, clearing her throat and repeating what she;d begun to say before Reynauld had interrupted them. “Dismas, I wanted you to come and see the eggs. I'm... I don't think...” Her lips pressed into a thin line as she set her jaw in uncertainty. “Something's wrong, I can feel it. And I... I think I'd be more comfortable if you came upstairs.”

“...Right.” Draining the last of his drink Dismas slapped a handful of gold coins on the bar then slid off the bench to take the stairs, the Guardian hot on his heels. Then paused, swinging her head around to regard the dejected Obelisk and frayed Skydancer.

“You two can come as well if you want. Friends of Dismas and all.” While Daedalon beamed and set to follow, Musard added to Reynauld, “I'd appreciate your... abilities if you would offer them, Rey.” Not stopping to see if he would accept the invitation the large, orange dragon fell back into step behind Dismas, with the Obelisk hopping along at her side.

Behind them Reynauld sighed, finished his drink and placed a few coins of his own down as the Bogsneak bartender came over to collect and clean up. He nodded his thanks to her, which she responded to with her own, and slowly ducked and meandered his way to the stairs.

Once there Musard leaned against the door, pushing it until it swung inwards so the group could enter the room. Between a Guardian and Obelisk and much of the room taken up by a temporary nest there wasn't much room for comfort. Musard eased it slightly by slipping into the nest and curving her large body behind three green eggs and coiling her tail around the front of them.

“Oh wow!” Having never seen eggs before Daedalon inched as close as she dared, flopping down to take in the green-tinged ovular objects. Were the swirls a pattern? Or were they raised? There was a warning growl above her and she realised she'd been reaching out to touch them without thinking. Whoops. Snatching her arm back the Obelisk gave Musard a sheepish grin and murmured a quick, “S-sorry!” In that moment, again, Daedalon couldn't help but notice the look of fear behind the proud mask as the fiery dragon gazed down at the eggs.

Removing his helmet, allowing his antennae to wave freely and his gem to glint in the light from the window Reynauld asked suddenly, “You have three eggs there,” his words were forced, clearly still unimpressed by the pair's recent intimate antics. What he said next however belayed his worry for the clutch, “but I can only sense two sets of emotion.”

“Only... two?” Pride gave way to sadness, though with hope at the lives mentioned. “I... well, I've heard it's normal for larger clutches to have...” Musard grimaced, not wanting to say the word on her mind.

Reynauld nodded in understanding, only to add, “However, one of them doesn't seem draconic. Do you per chance have a familiar?”

The Guardian's face paled further and Dismas stepped in for her. “Yep, a pebblehide stoat called Snatcher. Handy little blighter, likes to slip into small places and hide in piles of stones to get us things we can't reach.” Snatcher must have heard his name as what was originally passed up as a fold in the nest material suddenly moved, a pointy, yellow snout poking out as large, amber eyes ringed with thick, stone-like scales took in the new dragons.

“O-only... one.” Musard said shakily, running her forepaws over the eggs. “Th-that's fine. That's... fine. There's still... one.” A pleading glance was shot at the Skydancer, but he was still frowning.

“It doesn't feel like the other emotions are coming from-”

Before he could finish panic entered the Shadow dragon's eyes. “Y-you can't... You're lying!” the Guardian shook her head dismissively, refusing to accept what the Skydancer was telling her. “Th-they just need a little help!” Before anyone could stop her Musard plucked one of her eggs out of the nest and began pressing her claws into the thin yet tough shell.

“Don't do that!” Reynauld squawked, only to be swatted by her tail as he tried to approach. Snatcher squeaked at the sudden movements, diving back under the nest. The bump giving away his position slid from one end to the other as he re-emerged to lay next to Dismas instead, the Pearlcatcher on his feet and staring in dismay, frozen as incompatible thoughts swirled in his mind.

Cracks began to form down the length of the egg as tears slipped down her frilled cheeks. A crack, one claw sinking inside. Hurriedly she put it down, prying it open with both hands. Flecks of eggshell fell away, peppering the nest. The prison broke, the sides splitting apart with an odd ripping sound.

A perfectly formed, grey body fell limply into the fabric. “No...” With heavily shaking paws Musard lifted the tiny Guardian to her face, pressing its chest to her earhole. A breath? A voice? A heartbeat? Anything at all? A rift opened then, consuming all sound as the gathered dragons collectively caught their breath. Not looking at her lost child again the Guardian gently lay it down, then reached for the second egg. No one tried to stop her this time, shock locking them in stone. Again she pressed into the shell. Again the tears on her face matched the lines forming in the shell. Again it broke open with that odd cracking, ripping sound. Again a greyscale body was checked, laid back down in despair.

She was barely even looking when the third came out the same way. Colourless. Lifeless. All three, taken.

Silence.

Then sobbing.

Then a scream.

As the great Guardian collapsed, body racked with her cries of despair, Daedalon could do nothing but rock back on her haunches and cover her muzzle with her paws, tears dampening the fur around her eyes. Not-quite-right? This wasn't right at all! She remained there as she watched Dismas slam his tail into the wall, the shelves on it shaking with the force and sending his pearl, which he'd left up here, wobbling on its perch.

He reached up to grab it, clutching it tight. “If this isn't proof that he's messing around with the Shade then I don't know what is!” the Pearlcatcher spat, sending black lacquer flying as he began coating his pearl in bitter memories. “I'll get that bastard. I'll expose him for the traitor his is and he will pay for taking our children!”

Something still wasn't right.

Daedalon returned her paws to the floor forcefully, sending pain up her wrists and into her limbs. She ignored it. Of course not! None of this is!

Not that. Something else.

Wait. The Obelisk swivelled to face Reynauld, the stoic Skydancer now pressing himself as far into the corner as he could in attempt to leave the scene without physically leaving. Eyes closed, chin pressed into his chest fur. He'd said something about two sets of emotions. One was Snatcher, but the other wasn't coming from the egg. So... what was it?

“Rey?” She asked softly, scooting over to her friend. He barely moved, though she glimpsed a red eye looking at her. Miserable. Hurt. Betrayed? “The other emotions. They're in here too, right? Where are they?”

The distraction appeared welcoming as Reynauld lifted his head to wave his antennae around. Too bereft to speak, he instead pointed at a suspicious mound in the opposite corner, behind Musard. Nodding her thanks Daedalon carefully, very carefully tiptoed past the grieving mother to inspect the mound in the nest. As she got closer she stopped, aware of something coming from beneath the material. A voice, scared and small.

“No. Lying. Taken.”

Risking a glance back to make sure she hadn't disturbed the Guardian Daedalon continued, reaching forward to gently lift the fabric. Slowly, carefully... The voice stopped, a sensation like something moving had frozen. She paused, unsure. There were definitely only three eggs. Who was this? With resolve she took the fabric and pulled, revealing a tiny, bright yellow Nocturne who stared with large brown eyes of Earth.

“Who...?” Daedalon began, bewildered by the existence of the hatchling hiding in her friends' room.

“Who...?” The Nocturne mimicked fearfully, pulling her limbs, wings and tail close to make herself as small as possible.

At a loss for what else to do the Obelisk found herself saying aloud, “Uh, guys?” Behind her she sensed the bulk of Musard shifting, aware that the Guardian was now looking her way. Then a great amount of movement, a claw thrust around Daedalon's chest as she was all but flung out of the way with a yelp.

“There is one... There is one...” Musard clutched the child close to her face, rocking back and forth comfortingly for the both of them. “My child...”

“There s'one...” The Nocturne returned, unravelling herself enough to wrap around the fire-coloured snout tightly.

“My baby. My Sauvigni.”

No one corrected her. No one asked where the Nocturne came from, why she was in here. Now wasn't the time. Musard needed this.

They all needed this.

Next Chapter

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Varethyn on Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 16

ALL the materials. Flipped Tails for an Oppressive Aura!

Image 5
Image 7
Image 1
Image 6
Image 8

Dismas was hit particularly hard this time around, leaving him Rattled! He'll gain double SP until he shakes it off... or worse.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

just read chapter 2.. Poor Daedalon, having all her friends disappear...
and ohoh Dismas with the double SP.... maybe he is really aligned with the shade...

scry of your noc girl

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Chapter 2 takes place on the same day as Chapter 1, they haven't disappeared just doing other things. Daedalon's just bored :)
I will say right now that, unless specific circumstances happen, none of my ream are aligned with the Shade. Daedalon isn't sure if it's real as she figures out everything Earthshaker told her about while she was in Stoneshape and the other three oppose it. There will be more on that shortly, and in fact something I'd already written in the upcoming Chapter 3 coincides nicely with today's Aura. It'll be up soon, still muddling through some PC issues D:

Lovely scry! I'd considered something like that while I was checking her out. I came up with this one:

Though I did come up with something similar for Musard:

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

just edited my above post with scry for the nocturne :D

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 17

Dismas rolled a 9, overcoming his unease!

ImageImageImage

RNG wanted Musard to fight alone again but I got it to cooperate. Once again an easy romp through the forest; a few crits were received but twice as many were dealt back. That said, Daedalon's currently the least stressed member of the group. Which is fitting, giving her character! I do feel bad that Dismas isn't getting a chance to unwind though.
Everyone is lv7

Notable loot:

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Phew! It's uh... been a little while. My own darn fault, I wasn't paying attention to the date when I decided to start this. So inevitably I got wrapped up in the new 9.1 WoW content. It was... something. I am no longer in a rush to get things done so hopefully it won't take an age for updates to happen. In fact, I meant to make a note previously but every time I went to do so my brain went, "Ooh shiny!" and I went to do something else. Welp. Chapter 3 is finally available! I hope the length makes up for the wait!