The Black Wind Howls [Darkest Pinkerlocke Reboot]

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

The Black Wind Howls [Darkest Pinkerlocke Reboot]

Unread post by Varethyn »

“And now... the darkness holds dominion – black as death.„

Welcome, everyone, to my "Darkest Pinkerlocke"! This challenge will largely follow the Pinkerlocke rules we've grown to hate love except with a few twists! As well as the daily incentives from a typical Pinkerlocke I will also be borrowing from a Lovecraftlocke and the Stress system from the game Darkest Dungeon! A lot mixed into one and the rules may seem complicated at first glance. Luckily for you guys you don't need to worry too much about it! I am of course happy to answer any questions if something doesn't make sense or needs more clarification. Either way I hope that it proves entertaining for both sides with all the extra elements!

Note: Values may change over the course of the challenge depending on how easy or hard it feels.

Rules | The Story| Stage Coach | Gallery

Rules

ImageAll Nuzlocke activity corresponds with loot received daily from Pinkerton's Plundered Pile.
ImageA points system is in place to reflect story features (explained below).
ImageDaedalon is the main character and thus immune to death. If she were to die, however, she is incapacitated and cannot act for 15 days.
ImageDragons cannot earn a primary gene until level 10, a secondary gene until level 15 or a tertiary gene until level 20.
ImageAny egg found during the challenge, whether through the coliseum or scavenging, allows one breed change for any dragon.
ImageAny egg found by Nuzlocke participants in the coliseum must be hatched and join the challenge.
ImageGuardians born into the clan or arrive as a hatchling must go on their Search once they are at least 3 weeks old and as befits the story. Use RNG to determine type and distance of their Charge.
ImageRoll 1d4 for each familiar dropped in the coliseum. If 4, the familiar joins the challenge. Give them to any dragon without a familiar.
ImageIf a dragon has a familiar and faints in the coliseum, roll 1d4:
--- 4: The dragon and familiar both survive.
--- 3: The dragon survives but the familiar dies.
--- 2: The dragon dies but the familiar survives.
--- 1: The dragon and the familiar both die.

The Stress System

The Shade plays a prominent role in this story and so long as dragons are active in the challenge they will be afflicted by it. Every dragon has a certain SP ('Stress Points') - as a dragon spends more time in proximity to the Shade they can and will gain SP. All dragons start with 0/200 SP. Guardians currently on their Search, or whose Charge is outside the Windswept Plateau, are immune to SP gain.

Accumulating SP

As the Shade grows in power stress levels can soar dramatically. Whether it be the influence of the Shade itself, the presence of Shade-Touched dragons, fighting or eggs failing to hatch stress builds and makes the lives of dragons miserable, potentially leading to catastrophic outcomes.

Image1 SP per day that dragon is active and in proximity to the Shade
Image1 SP per day a Shade-Touched dragon is active
Image1 SP per egg that fails to hatch. 5 SP if the entire clutch or a single-egg nest fails. Double for the parents.
Image1 SP per dragon rolled for the coliseum
Image5 SP if that dragon is hit by (and survives) a critical hit in the coliseum
Image5 SP if that dragon witnesses a teammate enter Death's Door and another 1 SP each time they survive
Image10 SP if that dragon enters Death's Door and another 5 SP each time they survive
Image15 SP if that dragon witnesses a teammate die

If a dragon crosses the 100 SP threshold roll 1d4. If 4, they become Virtuous. Otherwise they become Afflicted.

Afflictions

Afflicted dragons lose hope in overcoming the Shade threat and tend to lash out in different ways as they slowly accept their fate. Each day, based on type of affliction, an Afflicted dragon has a chance to cause party-wide Stress. Roll 1d6:

Image1-2 - everyone gains 5 SP
Image3-4 - everyone gains 1 SP
Image5-6 - nothing happens

A dragon is immediately tested once they reach 100 or more SP. Dragons remain Afflicted so long as they are at or over 100 SP. If an afflicted dragon reaches 200 SP they suffer a heart attack and enter Death's Door. If they suffer another heart attack they die outright.

Virtues

Virtuous dragons have seen a glimmer of hope in their darkest hours, reducing their SP to 50 and offer hope and comfort to others during this time of need. Each day, based on type of virtue, a Virtuous dragon has a chance to remove stress either from the party or themselves. Roll 1d6:

Image1-2 - nothing happens
Image3-4 - heal self for -15 SP
Image5-6 - heal party for -5 SP each

Dragons remain Virtuous for only 3 days but are immune to SP gain during this time.

Stress Relief

It's not all doom and gloom out there! Even in the face of looming disaster dragons are able to find ways to shed their fears, if only a little and rarely. Winning fights, simple pleasures or the presence of a hopeful individual, many little things help bolster a dragon's mental state.

Image-1 SP if that dragon lands a critical hit
Image-1 SP each for each successful egg hatching (unhatched eggs do not count)
Image-5 SP each when two dragons go to nest
Image-5 SP each if a dragon becomes Virtuous
Image-10 SP each if an unhatched egg is found
Image-15 SP each if a Shade-Touched dragon is slain

Emergency Actions

Peaceful Visit: Once a week a dragon can casually visit the town for some much needed fun. Roll 1d10:

Image1 - It was boring, but nothing bad happened either. 0 SP
Image2-5 - it wasn't as good as they hoped but it was still fun. -20 SP
Image6-9 - everything went smoothly. -40 SP
Image10 - something truly memorable happened! -70 SP

During this time they are unable to participate in Nuzlocke activities for 5 days but do not gain SP. Only one dragon can visit at a time and they cannot visit again the following week.

Pep Talk: The dragon with the lowest SP approaches the dragon with the highest SP for an encouraging chat. Roll 1d10:

Image1 - They barely listened. 0 SP
Image2-5 - They were reluctant but appreciated it. -10 SP
Image6-9 - They were grateful to chat. -20 SP
Image10 - They really needed that. -30 SP

Neither dragon can engage in Pep Talks for 5 days. If the dragon with high SP is Afflicted, roll 1d4: if 1, they refuse to talk.

Drops of Fate

Food: Fight in the Coliseum for a set amount of rounds based on the food type:

Plants: 10 matches
Insects: 20 matches
Seafood: 30 matches
Meat: 40 matches

Medium Mode: Select coliseum challengers in your lair using RNG then select the coliseum venue that either corresponds with or is one tier below the highest level dragon in that group. You can remain in a venue even if a dragon levels up, fleeing as necessary. Don't attempt 40 matches unless you want a wiped-out dragon!

Dragons who faint in the coliseum first enter Death's Door. They can continue to fight but if they faint again they must roll 1d4: if they roll a 1, they die. Repeat for every time they survive. Recovery from Death's Door leaves a mark on the dragon and they must rest, unable to join a coliseum team, for 5 days.

If a Shade-Touched dragon is in the party: The objective is to kill the Shade dragon as soon as possible. If the Shade dragon does not faint by the end of the rounds, it survives to wreak havoc another day. No more than 1 Shade dragon may be in the party at a time and Death's Door does not apply to them.

Materials: Do some writing for your Pinkerlocke.

Trinkets: Do some art for your Pinkerlocke.

Familiars: Introduce a new dragon. Buy a new dragon. Roll 1d20 to determine the breed you'll be getting. The dragon must be older than 5 days and mentally at least an adolescent. (Optional: give the familiar to the new dragon.)

1. Fae
2. Guardian
3. Mirror
4. Tundra
5. Pearlcatcher
6. Ridgeback
7. Snapper
8. Spiral
9. Imperial
10. Wildclaw
11. Skydancer
12. Coatl
13. Nocturne
14. Bogsneak
15. Gaoler
16. Banescale
17. Veilspun
18. Obelisk
19. Aberration
20. The cheapest G1 (one breed change allowed)

Once the dragon is purchased: Roll 1d4. If 1, the dragon is corrupted by the Shade.

Apparel: At a stack of 5 apparel, breed two of your dragons. When the eggs hatch flip a coin for each hatchling. If Tails, the hatchling is dead and must be exalted. Hatchlings with Primal eyes are exempt from the coin flip. Apparel stacks of 10 can be redeemed to give a dragon a gene early.

If no dragons are compatible or RTB, buy the cheapest G1 or hatch an egg. Hatchlings from unhatched eggs are exempt from the coin flip and both are allowed one breed change that must be applied by the next story entry.

Battle Items: Uh-oh! Flip a coin:

Heads: DEATH STREAK!
Tails: Time to Relax! Use RNG to select three random dragons, then roll 1d20 for each: the number rolled is the amount of SP they heal.

Death Streak rules: Randomly select three dragons using a random number generator. They then must fight in the coliseum for 10 rounds consecutively (ie. you cannot leave the venue until the streak is over) using hard mode rules, quitting midway if a dragon dies. Death's Door does not apply to Death Streaks.

If a Shade-Touched dragon is in the party: The death of the Shade dragon does not end the streak. Continue until the streak ends, or a living dragon dies.

Rules | The Story| Stage Coach | Gallery

Last edited by Varethyn on Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:53 am, edited 16 times in total.

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Re: The Black Wind Howls [Darkest Pinkerlocke Reboot]

The Story
“In time, you will know the tragic extent of my failings...„

Chapter 0
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

Rules | The Story | Stage Coach | Gallery

Last edited by Varethyn on Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Stage Coach
“Women and men; soldiers and outlaws; fools and corpses. All will find their way to us now that the road is clear.„

Image Daedalon (DAY-da-lon) - the Attendant
Image Reynauld (RAIN-ald)- the Captain
Image Dismas (DIZ-mass) - the Rogue
Image Musard (moo-SARD) - the Treasure Hunter
Image Sauvigni (sow-VEE-nyee) - the Orphan
Image Noyers (NOY-erz) - the Lost
Image Peis (PAYS) - the Consumed
Image Lucy (LOO-see) - the Ill-Fated
Image Saisset (SIGH-set) - the Meek Servant

Other Notable Characters

Image Diaemus (dee-AY-muss) - the Master of Squallwatch
Image Kamen (KAY-men) - the Replacement
Image Rochelle (ro-SHELL) - the Feral One
Image Juniper (JUNE-ip-er) - the Messenger

The Graveyard
“Most will end up here, covered in the poisoned earth, awaiting merciful oblivion.„

Click on an icon to be taken to the untimely loss.

ImageImage

Rules | The Story | Stage Coach | Gallery

Last edited by Varethyn on Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Last edited by Varethyn on Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Reserved just in case~

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Chapter 0

The Windswept Plateau. That was the name whispered in dreams recalled as a bright canvas of greens and yellows blurred together below, interspersed with bright splashes of brilliant colours. A calm, warm wind whipped about playfully, tugging at fur and main and tail, smoothing it, tangling it. Large green eyes cracked open as a joyous grin yet grew. Life. Freedom. A sense of being home despite only recently breaking free of a cage of stone hidden deep within the earth. Creatures flew alongside, above, below, ahead, behind. Creatures never seen, yet knowledge abounded. From whispers, dreams.

Daedalon unleashed a roar of sheer joy. Knowing. Being. Seeing a world once experienced second-hand, through eyes that did not belong to her. Imaging sensations only described, now felt. Each Obelisk was Earthshaker's child. They were born from the ground, the rock, the stone. Yet each was imbued with energies from other elements besides. He'd built them, sculpted them. Materials from the land itself given form. Given life. Why they were so elementally different then, she did not know.

And currently did not care.

Allowing the soothing winds to carry her the Obelisk settled into a lazy glide, taking in the sights below.
Each domain she'd flown over had its own unique characteristics that set it apart from its neighbours. Many things had caught her interest along the way but none strong enough to make her stop. The call home was too strong. She may be born from earth but she was Born of Wind. What wonders awaited in the land that she was bound to?

There! Banking slightly to the side the blue lion-like dragon slowly spiralled down towards some sort of structure that appeared to be stone rings suspended in a row, each with a ring of what seemed to be clouds between them. Touching down carefully between buildings made from bamboo and leaves, and ignoring the startled and awestruck stares of her onlookers, Daedalon padded over the grass until she stood at the foot of a grand flight of stairs leading up to the first ring. She gawped in amazement as a stray wind ruffled her mane again.

“Incredible, isn't it?” A deep, smooth voice rumbled behind her. She twisted her neck around to see who was speaking: A large ashen-grey Imperial with silvery hair and dressed in red and black armour smiled at her. She beamed back, unable to contain her excitement to maintain a reasonable amount of politeness. “This is the Aergate. Not so long ago the winds failed and-”

“And this place was rebuilt so that dragons could still fly!” Daedalon interjected, bouncing from paw to paw like an excited hatchling hoping to impress their teacher. Then she stopped, realisation crossing her features and she shrank back with a sheepish grin. “S-sorry. Earthshaker taught us a lot of things while we were in stoneshape and I'm just so eager to see it all for real!”

The Imperial chuckled, meandering around the fluffy stranger to stand at her side. “It's quite all right. I'm sure you've got a lot you would like to see.” He craned his long neck to stare up at the slowly rotating rings of the Aergate before them. “I had the pleasure of learning of your kinds' emergence only recently. I am honoured that I be the one to greet you, and in front of the Aergate at that. Such a momentous occasion to be sure.”

“Did... did you make this?” Daedalon asked, shyly rubbing her forepaws together as she joined the sinuous serpentine dragon in watching the structure. “Sorry, we were told of a lot of places in Sornieth but not where they came from.”

“Oh goodness no!” Lifting a forepaw to his chest in flattery the Imperial regarded the dark-winged Obelisk once more. “This structure has been around for Ages! Even I couldn't tell you which Age it was built in but it has certainly lasted a very long time. It was in ruins before the Twisting Crescendo ceased and needed to be revitalised. And that was mere years ago.”

“Wow...” Daedalon breathed in admiration. Imagine, ancient dragons- No! Maybe even creatures before dragons using this temple to fly when the winds weren't strong enough! In her dreams she'd seen the World Pillar, seen it shatter and fragments fly across the world. Each one blessing the lands they fell with the magic of the Deity that had slumbered within each piece. Windsinger's influence wouldn't have been here until then. What might have been here if that were the case...? Unless it was just the first dragons who made it. Not as exciting but still pretty interesting!

A drawling voice shook Daedalon from her thoughts as the Imperial continued, “While I cannot lay claim to it I do one day hope to become its protector.” He sighed wistfully, then turned to her once more, smile never once faltering. “In the meantime I have something of an unofficial watch over it, since the city here and its leader have that much under control.”

“'Unofficial watch'?”

Using a silver wing to gesture the Imperial pointed towards a large hill on the horizon. “My clan lies on, and within, that hill over there. See the castle at the very top?” It was so far away that Daedalon had to squint, eventually nodding as the spires took focus. “That is Squallwatch Keep, and my home. I am leader of the Squallwatch clan, you see. And while we pride ourselves in a great many trades I see it as an excellent vantage point from which to keep an eye on proceedings down here. Hence the 'unofficial watch'.”

Thick, curled fur bounced as the Obelisk nodded furtively in agreement. “That makes sense! It's good to have allies that will look after each other even if it's not necessary!”

“Exactly. And in fact,” the Imperial lifted a forearm to his chest again, dipping his head and the front half of his body in a sort of bow, “as leader of Squallwatch I am happy to extend a claw and offer you a place in our community.”

Daedalon's smile faded into a blank slate as the offer sank in. “Oh no, I couldn't!” She stammered after a few beats. “Thank you very much all the same but I couldn't ask-”

“Please, I'd be delighted to bring an Obelisk into our fold.” The grey arm extended towards the youngest dragon breed. “We all must be welcoming to our newest dragon brothers and sisters after all. In fact, until you find a place of your own I'd be willing to offer you a temporary room in my castle, so long as you assist me in my tasks while you're there that is.”

Large, green eyes flicked between the Imperial's kind face and the proffered paw, weighing her options. It would be great to have a place she could call home, if only for a while before moving off again – after all, there was so much more of the world to see! Including all the stuff she'd passed by on the way here. But this place, this place was huge. And pleasant to be in. And had fascinating structures like the Aergate to investigate. And... a slight hint of something not quite right? She recalled the Earthshaker's orders.

WARN THEM. GUIDE THEM AWAY FROM THE DANGER WITHIN. GUIDE THEM TO SAFETY, HIDE THEM, OR YOU WILL ALL BE TAKEN.

PLEASE, MY CHILDREN. PROTECT OUR FAMILY. I MUST GO. THIS THREAT MUST BE FOUND.

But... surely that was just the cave, right? They just needed to get the dragons who found them out of the caves, away from the cavern they'd been born in. No, surely this was different? ...What if it was connected though? Her snout creased into a frown as she thought. No, there might be a connection! The Threat might be here, too! She should stay and help and see what happens!

Lifting a paw of her own Daedalon accepted the patiently waiting gesture and shook. “Thank you! Yes, I'll stay! At least for now. There's so much to do and see, but I can start here! You're so kind!” She decided not to mention the not-quite-right feeling in case it gave her new friend the wrong idea. Speaking of. “Um, sorry what is your name?” She grinned apologetically again. “My name is Daedalon. Nice to meet you!”

The clawed hand gripped the fluffy paw firmly. “You may call me Diaemus. A pleasure, my Obelisk friend.”

Next Chapter

Last edited by Varethyn on Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Uhhhh yes new writing! She's like the Red riding hood :) Should focus on her task but nooo .
Love her eagerness to explore

(If it's not ok yo comment let me know and I delete thi)

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

No no, it's safe to go! :) I'll do my daily pull later on.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 1

Pinkie starting us off easy this time. Or is it a false sense of security?

Nothing much to report here. Rey got hit by a crit but he and Daedalon dished out a few of their own. Stress kept to a minimum!
Everyone is level 3.

Notable loot:

As an aside, I'm curious to know what you guys think of this ruleset and gimmick :)

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Im mostly interested in the story ;) but the stress system sounds very unique and might help you write

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 2

Hm. An easy fight followed directly by a new dragon. Pinkerton, what are you planning?

At any rate, welcome Musard!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Ohh shes pretty m love abyss. Had to click on her to confirm :)

Btw I got 15 eliminates in my hoard. May I donate some to you or is gift a no go

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Gifts are appreciated but not expected :) That said, I'll pass on the eliminates since that's a huge waste if any dragons I equip with them end up dying. Thank you all the same :hug:

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

not even one for the lead character ? :D

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Best not to, cos otherwise I'd be tempted to get more :lol:

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I soo send anyway ;) i had like 30 but sold some to fuel my gene projects.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Oh you :P :hug:

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 3

...I see how it is.

Flipped Heads and rolled the starter team in a different order. Thanks RNG.
ImageImageImage

Since they were lv3 they got to stay in the Training Fields. Absolutely nothing of note happened. Fun! Well, they're all lv4 now.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Heh better a non event day in the training grunds than having to exalt already. Go team

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 4

Flipped tails for an Oppressive Aura! No one rolled a 1 though so nothing happened.