The Black Wind Howls [Darkest Pinkerlocke Reboot]

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Re: The Black Wind Howls [Darkest Pinkerlocke Reboot]

Unread post by Ana »

Reynauld snorting his drink made me laugh.

Also some sad stuff in there.
Welcome back to writing :)

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

Day 18

ImageImageImage

Back from a break, straight back into the fray. Good that Dismas got a chance to join in this time. Not a lot else to say really, since they were still in the Woodland Path. No enemies got the chance to use any elemental attacks and any crits received were dealt back in kind.
Musard and Reynauld are lv8, Dismas lv6.

Notable loot:
Image x2

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 19

Flipped Heads for art!

I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do this time around and was tempted to try the Darkest Dungeon style art, with heavy black shading and an overall gritty, gloomy feel. But let's face it, FR is too cutesy and colourful for that. So have a cute Obelisk.

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

that is sooo cute!!!!

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Thank you Maria :hug:

Day 20

ImageImageImage
Vin's (not to be confused with Anvindr!) first battle. Since she grew up during my break I'd purposely left her out yesterday. Seems the Ancestor Pinkerton wasn't happy with that. I'm just glad I'm not using hard mode rules! Poor girl did get crit once but she'd already grown a level and took it like a champ. She also got her own in, as did Dis and Dae. We also saw our first Warrior's Way enemies! No loot though.
Sauvigni is now lv4 and Dismas is lv7.

I'm also a total derp and forgot to roll for the familiars I've gotten so far! Probably because I forgot to add that rule. Whoops. Let's do that now before we get any further.
Image 1
Image 3
Image 4
Image 1

We get a new dryad friend!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 21

All the fighting, all the time.
ImageImageImage

Once again a fairly straightforward bout. Vin did get smacked around a bit by brave sphinxes but we have plenty of potions so she's fine. Deadalon and Dismas got off a bunch of crits and no one got crit in turn, leading to some much-needed stress relief for Dis.
Daedalon is lv8, Sauvigni is lv5.

Notable loot:

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

With all the coli it's weird you dont get stuff from the event

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 22

And they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don-
ImageImageImage

And the lack of luck continues as not only did I not get any WW loot from the coli again, nor did I from any site activity today! Likewise I was hoping to get Musard some needed stress-relief but the 10 rounds went by so fast. Rey and Dae both got crits in but nothing much else. I'd say maybe I should revert back to the range of battles instead of the set lower end but 50 is a lot if I get a meat item. Plus once these guys level up they'll be going to the dreaded Scorched Forest. Well, this is why I have the Emergency Buttons in place if she gets too stressed.

Notable loot:

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Coli is not nice.. hope your luck picks up. I be holding a give away at the end of WW

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

That's kind of you, Maria :hug: I might take a day or so to spam coliseum myself. I did get a couple of chests today though!

Day 23

Flipped Heads for more art!

Grumpy birb.

Bonus!
When you realise just how big Obelisks actually are. (Borrowing Tundra for floof until Obelisks are available)

My lore does take size into consideration, buuut they're a little closer together in the story than on-site.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 24

Flipped Tails so nothing happens. But remember, stress still builds in the background...

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

wow had not expected Obs to be so big! Love your artwork !!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 25

Flipped Heads for story time!

Chapter 4

“What do you think happened to them?”

With the understandable request for time alone from Dismas, Daedalon and Reynauld had left the Laughing Bat and returned to the battlements on Squallwatch Keep. The former was draped over one of the parapets, resting her chin on her forelegs, as the latter stood at attention to survey the busy yet sleepy settlement around them. Neither had said much since leaving the tavern yet both desired company, and so here they were.

“And what about the Nocturne? Where did she come from?”

A sombre frown creased the Skydancer's face under his helmet as his Plague eyes scanned the surroundings. From here they could see quite some distance beyond the boundary walls, although not in the direction of the Aergate. Diaemus had seen it done that he alone got such a view and anyone else who wanted to see it had to fly high above the tower that held his private chambers. “I cannot say.” Reynauld admitted at length, a sense of resentment in his voice as he spoke. This was a threat and he was supposed to protect. How could he protect from a threat he did not understand? “I am loath to accept that the Shade is real. There are other accounts of hatchlings failing to hatch due to a lack of elemental energy, though none can explain why. That is why the Shade is first to be blamed, as we have no scientific evidence otherwise.”

“But why just elemental energy?” Daedalon pondered as she reflected on the bits and pieces she'd picked up during her time here. “Doesn't the Shade consume everything? Wouldn't it have taken the hatchlings or the eggs entirely?”

There was a brief pause as Reynauld saluted a Tundra flying past. The same Tundra, Daedalon realised, from the day Dismas made his outcry. The fluffy yellow dragon made a series of hand gestures that, according to Reynauld, meant 'All's clear' as she disappeared from view. “No one knows.” He shrugged. “Just that sometimes eggs don't inherit the land's magic. And that's also why I don't believe in it personally.” Gesturing over at the opposite battlement Reynauld prepared to take flight, Daedalon slipping off of the stone to jump after him.

After landing and giving the surrounding area a cursory once-over the Skydancer answered his friend's other question. “As for the hatchling, I also can't say. Sadly it's not impossible for young dragons to lose their parents or be abandoned by them. Even before they hatch.” His eyes narrowed at a passing thought. “I just hope neither of those two-”

A commotion below prevented him from finishing his thought and the two peered over to see a group of guards, the first of which, a pale Gaoler, held something tightly in one of her front paws. A lithe, similarly-coloured male Banescale flanked her and a small collection of dragons surrounded them both. They all came to a halt outside the main gate the pair found themselves stood overhead of, as the unmistakable form of Diaemus came outside. The Imperial stopped and waited patiently as the procession came closer, the Gaoler bowing and opening her paw enough to reveal a tiny, struggling figure.

“What's happening?” Daedalon whispered worriedly, despite being far enough up that none of them were likely to hear her.

“I... don't know.” The amount of confusion and disbelief in Reynauld's voice only worried her all the more.

“But... you're the captain. They're supposed to take orders from you, right?” Glaring at the scene unfolding the Skydancer held up a taloned hand to shush his companion as Diaemus started to speak.

“Welcome! And who have we here today, hm?” His rich, smooth voice carried easily on the breeze, so clear and powerful that he may as well have been standing behind them. Despite how much time she spent around him Daedalon always found Diaemus' formal voice to be enthralling. When it was just the two of them he'd speak to her normally, so it quickly became commonplace. So whenever he addressed a gathering such as this as the Master he is she couldn't help but swoon. Catching herself the Obelisk blushed furiously under her blue coat, glad that Reynauld's attention was firmly on the event unfolding below them.

“Unhand me, you brute!” Screamed the shrill, monotonous voice of a Fae, as the tiny dragon wriggled futilely in her captor's grasp. “I would have words with this egg-thief!”

“Egg-thief?” Diamus lifted a paw to his chest, his words laced with mock-hurt. “My dear, you wound me! Such unpleasant accusations to throw around with such little regard to whom you are speaking! Come now, do calm yourself so we can discuss these frankly outlandish claims.”

“Outlandish?” If anything her anger had only increased. “I've seen it for myself you miserable tyrant! You steal our eggs, our children, and you take them below the keep! I saw one of your lackeys pilfering from my own nest! This shall not stand!”

“Wait, I know that Fae.” Reynauld exclaimed suddenly, leaning as far over the wall as he dared, squinting his eyes and flaring his wings for balance. “It... can't be. That's Eudoxia!”

Daedalon's green eyes widened to the size of saucers. “Eu... Diaemus' advisor?” She'd only had the pleasure of meeting the Fae on a few, short occasions so they'd barely had the chance to know one another. What the Obelisk did know was that Eudoxia was a fairly blunt, humourless yet well-meaning and quite knowledgable individual. When she'd first arrived Daedalon had seen the Fae accompanying Diaemus in a similar way to how she did now, only Eudoxia would be fussing over this or that and the Imperial would be pretending to listen. One day, she simply vanished. Having only seen her on short intervals Daedalon hadn't thought about why.

Because of the nest she mentioned? Had she temporarily stepped down to raise a family?

...or had she replaced her? The Obelisk's heart quailed at the thought that she'd unknowingly and inadvertently taken the place of another established member of the community.

“Time and time again you bring this up.” Diaemus tutted, visibly showing his disinterest by examining his claws as he spoke. “Eggs and hatchlings go missing, of this I am filled with the deepest sorrow and can only offer my condolences. However there has been little evidence as to who, how or why. I have already increased the level of security and number of guards around Squallwatch and still you insist on kicking up a fuss and making a fool of yourself.”

He put his paw back down then, voice turning a deadly seriousness that Daedalon had never heard. “I have been lenient with your punishment thus far. Exceptionally so. Even allowing you to go to your mate once you realised you were bearing eggs. And yet you continue to test the limits of my patience.” Drawing himself up to his full height and raising his voice so much she was sure all of Squallwatch could hear him Diaemus declared, “Eudoxia, for continuously crossing me, for making such vile accusations and for spreading falsehoods about me, I condemn you to the dungeons for as long as I see fit! Take her away!”

With a twisted grin that made Daedalon's skin crawl the Gaoler resumed her unnecessarily tight grip on the Fae, who was only able to emit a thin, pained yelp from the pressure of the large paw. As she and her Banescale partner passed by Diaemus to make their way to the staircase leading below the keep the rest of the guards dispersed in various directions. Some walking, others flying. Diaemus watched them leave, lingered for a moment for a reason the pair could not tell from their vantage before he, too, turned around to head back inside.

It was several moments before either the Obelisk or the Skydancer dared to move.

A sudden flare of confusion and anger caused Daedalon to furrow her brow deeply, shooting her companion a stare of disbelief. His antennae must have picked up on it immediately as the birdlike dragon jolted slightly before removing his helmet and running a hand over his long face. “I don't know.” He said simply, returning her stare with an apologetic one that made her feel bad for even thinking what she was. “They may be my guards, under my order, but I had nothing to do with what just happened.”

Daedalon considered this for a moment. “Then, the guards by the watermill Dismas mentioned? Did... was that you?” The questioningly raised eye ridge gave her all the answer she needed. “Then... why?” She slumped against the battlement wall, suddenly fatigued. “Diaemus is the only other one who they'd listen to, right? But why would he order them to capture Eudoxia and throw her in the dungeons?”

Her mental fatigue seemed to be picked up by the Skydancer as well as he wavered unsteadily on his feet. “What he said before, about increasing security and the number of guards. All of that was his own work. I wasn't made aware of it. Normally he would pass suggestions to me to deal with, not take them on himself.” Reynauld frowned at the stone slab in front of him. “Master, what is going on inside your head lately? You never used to be like this.”

“Maybe you should talk to him?” Reynauld hummed in consideration at her suggestion. “I mean, I would ask but I don't think we were meant to see that. So if he knew I was watching... It might not go well.” Without knowing exactly why, Daedalon got the sense that Diaemus would be upset to know she witnessed everything. “But it would work with you, since you'd notice something up with your guards that you didn't order. I hope, anyway.”

A series of expressions passed over the Skydancer's face as he pondered this, all a range of doubtfulness. “I'm not sure how well that would work,” he admitted after a time pacing in thought, “however I have no other idea. If nothing is done who's to say he won't have them do his bidding behind my back all the more?” Pausing his pacing Reynauld nodded in decisiveness, more to himself than to his friend. “Yes, you're right. I should request an audience with the Master. Perhaps I... Maybe there's something I've been missing.” He flashed her one of his rare, small smiles. She didn't need to be a Skydancer to tell he was nervous. Even the captain of the guard was wary about personally meeting with the Master.

“I hope you find something out.” Daedalon smiled sincerely back. He nodded to her and the smile faded, the grey captain turning around to make his way downstairs. Presumably to schedule and appointment with Diaemus – no one just walked up to him to chat after all. At least, no one other than Daedalon.

What was once a glimmer of pride became a pang of guilt at her position, at her privileges. And how did she get there? Just by being herself, the new breed. The special one. The unique one. That made her wonder how things would go once others of her kind started coming here. She staggered as she tried to walk herself, another wave of fatigue washing over her. Perhaps a stone-shape nap would do some good before anything else.

The rest of the evening was more nerve-racking than it ought to have been, so Daedalon spent it slowly, trying her best to avoid Diaemus as much as possible. Dinner time was awkward as they shared the food hall together, so she kept quiet and avoided eye contact. If he noticed her discomfort he didn't mention it nor try to speak with her. Grateful for this Daedalon excused herself, settling in for an early night.

Much of the following day was spent in a similar manner. Finishing her chores as quickly as possible while seeming as inconspicuous as she was able to, the Obelisk found the first opportunity to leave and took it. Before she left though, she took a quick peek down the corridor to the stairs leading to the dungeon. As expected, a pair of burly male Guardians stood watch at the top. For all the time she'd spent with Reynauld and his troops, she'd never seen these two before. Same, she realised, with the Gaoler and Banescale. One of them flicked a deep blue eye in her direction, so she scurried away quickly and took to the air as soon as she was outside.

However, the not-quite-right feeling nagged at her mind, preventing her from going far. As she flew in loose circles around Squallwatch Daedalon's eyes were drawn to the distant shape of the Aergate and decided, why not? It had been a while since she'd visited it since arriving in the Plateau after all. However, rather than land in the town around it proper she opted to watch the rings from a low hill nearby.

For as relaxing as the moment was, however, the not-quite-right sensation followed even here. A voice poked at her mind, like that feeling you've forgotten something and can't quite place what. Something compelled her to get closer, so she did. Plonking herself at the base of the steps just like the first time, she simply sat and stared up at the monument as it spun slowly. What was it that was bothering her so? It wasn't the looks of the locals as they passed by. She was used to that by now. The fact she hadn't been here in so long? No, the whimsy overwrote that easily. So then-

Wait, what was that? Dark. Too dark to be a shadow. With slow, tentative steps, lips pressed tightly together without understanding quite why Daedalon investigated the odd patch on the wall next to the closest ring. It was small, yet so out of place that she could spot it even from down on the ground. Black paint? Was it even... black? Wrong wrong wrong! her mind screamed at her in time with her rapidly increasing heartbeat. She shook her head to quiet the voices. What was wrong? What... is it moving? The air around her seemed to drop by many degrees as she forced herself yet closer. Yes, very, very slight at the edges. A subtle waving, rippling motion. Why was it so cold? She could feel the wind around her, tugging at her fur. It was warm. Yet inside she felt like ice. Like the warmth was being sapped from her. And yet... she felt compelled to stare into the impossible hole in the wall as it writhed on the stone. Blacker than black. She reached out to it despite feeling ill, empty. The world fell away around her. All she knew was the void before her. She had to know. Had to find out what it was-

“Hey you!”

It felt like a heavy blanket had been yanked off of her head, light pouring into her vision and a pressure she hadn't noticed lifted from her mind. Stunned, Daedalon stood dumbly by the wall, blinking rapidly. A risky glance. It was still there, still moving. Still... pulling her... No! The Obelisk wrenched her attention away from the stone to acknowledge whoever had called to her, expecting to be in trouble. After some false leads as she glanced around her eyes finally locked with the large, equally green ones of a grinning Spiral hovering just above her head, barely at the edge of her vision.

Grinning. She wasn't in trouble. “Um. Hi!” Daedalon made herself say, the returning heat rushing to her face. A hearty guffaw left the brown noodley dragon at her reaction, causing her face to only flush all the more. If this kept up she was sure her fur would catch fire from sheer embarrasment.

“Sorry, sorry!” he chuckled at her as he twisted around himself in his humour. “I just love sneaking up on tourists visiting the Gate. Your expression was priceless!” Daedalon puffed out her cheeks indignantly. “Hey, how about I make it up to you by showing you how it works?”

“Really?!” The Obelisk stared at the Spiral with wide, hopeful eyes like a puppy about to play with a new toy. Realising this she pulled herself together, cleared her throat and tried again. “Really? That would be amazing!”

The sensations from being effectively launched through the enchanted rings by powerful winds was exhilarating. Too much to do it just once. Time and again Daedalon returned to the front of the Aergate to jump through, accompanied by the Spiral guide who was likewise sharing the whale of a time. Even when he randomly conked out, landing draped over one of the stone rings, she kept going back for more. What a rush! Eventually though she had to stop when it dawned on her what time it was. So fun it had been that she'd even forgotten to have lunch!

Worth it.

Thanking the Spiral profusely, and with invitation to please come back some time, Daedalon reluctantly departed back to Squallwatch, gliding around the large hill a few times to let the adrenaline wear out. Once alighted, albeit still incredibly giddy, the Obelisk picked her way to the food hall for dinner. It was difficult to hide her excitement so unsurprisingly Diaemus teasingly questioned her about it. “I think I know why you love the Aergate so much!” She'd babbled, the story of the day all but falling straight out of her mouth. The Master simply chuckled at how animated she was, otherwise saying little so that she could say her piece.

Of course, there was one part that she didn't mention. Later, up in her chamber Daedalon flopped back in her nest still giggling from the delights of the day. Once it had run its course, however, the niggling feeling came back. Her smile faded as images of the nothingness filled her mind, suddenly feeling queasy. What had it been? She'd completely forgotten about it and never checked to see it it was still there when she left. Dread gripped her for reasons beyond her knowledge. Why? What about it scared her so much?

She fell asleep shivering.

Next Chapter

There was going to be more, but the chapter was getting long already. More reason to look forward to the next one then!
Last edited by Varethyn on Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 26

Flipped Tails for an Oppressive Aura!

Image 2
Image 1
Image 1
Image 10
Image 2

Both Reynauld and Dismas have been rattled by the aura. This does not bode well for Rey's meeting with Diaemus!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 27

Before anything else, I bring terrifying news. Reynauld... rolled another 1. Our grumpy Skydancer has become Shade-Touched. Whether it be Diaemus' work or otherwise, this doesn't help the rumours and now Rey must be purposely killed come his next battle. He will attempt to appear normal but is extremely unsettling to be around and is discretely siphoning elemental magic from those around him. Everyone else will be gaining an additional SP every day so long as he is around.

Dismas, thankfully, rolled a 10 for a full recovery.

BUT WE'RE NOT DONE YET. I flipped Tails for another Aura!

Image 2
Image 9
Image 5
Image 6

Thankfully, the others remain unscathed.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Ohh poor Reynauld!

Im glad to see you write so much Varethyn. It seems like you find the story more easy to write this time around :hug:

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Thank you!

Yeah, the last time I tried I'd acted too late on my inspirations, so it fell flat and directionless as I forgot them or else no longer felt inspired. I still have the dragons from that attempt though, so maybe they'll appear at some point. As for this attempt I have the ideas fresh in my mind this time, borrowing some elements from Darkest Dungeon (a streamer I watch is replaying it atm both in attempt to finally complete it and in anticipation for the upcoming sequel) and the story of Revendreth in WoW (I redid the campaign recently and took screenshots. A lot of screenshots).

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

good to have inspiration!! I hope others read your story, but if not I just wanted to say Im Proud of you for sticking with it so long :hug:

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 28

ImageImageImage
Well, this happened far sooner than expected.

So. I had to think very hard how to do this, as Rey was my healer. Lore-wise he'd act as best as he normally would, which means healing where appropriate. However I decided that would be completely against the point so lore is left out of the coliseum - he was allowed to heal others but not himself. Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything drastic here since they were all still in the Woodland Path. But in some universe the stars aligned and most of the attacks were focused on Reynauld. He died in round 13.

While that's good news for everyone else, save for the stress hit he'd left behind (I'm honestly not sure how to deal with stress regarding a dragon becoming Shade-Touched and a Shade-Touched dragon being killed. Right now it's +10 when a dragon becomes Shade-Touched and -5 when witnessing a Shade-Touched dragon dying. Thoughts? After all, the monstrosity is gone but it used to be their friend/ally.) that did mean that Dismas and Daedalon had to finish the run on their own. Thankfully it was manageable, with the use of a few potions and two handy level-ups (Dismas' cutting it close with killing Reynauld. My method is to apply the points immediately, but that would have healed them all!).

Dismas is now lv8 and Daedalon lv9. All subsequent runs featuring Dae will now be in the Scorched Forest!

Notable loot:
Image x2

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I am no good at rp and rules so this is just thoughts .. if they make no sense then I appologies.
If a dragon witness another dragon become touched by the shade they become stressed and want to find a cure
If a dragon dies from being shade touched i would imagine stress would be high on the dragons friends whilst those who dislike the dragon get less stressed
No idea if that made sense