Movie info

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Movie info

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/354 ... esentation
Duncan Jones has played the Warcraft games, World of Warcraft, and even Lost Vikings. He originally played Ultima Online.
The Special Effects supervisor plays World of Warcraft and is level 90.
Marketing hasn't started yet, so there isn't a ton to reveal yet.
Jones liked the script, but it was very Alliance centric. He thought it would be better to make it about both sides and the original Warcraft.
Jones turned down other films because he was really passionate about working on Warcraft.
While working on Golden Compass, the special effects supervisor got up at 2 in the morning to do runs with his guild.
Real actors will be used for the Orcs.
Avatar meets Game of Thrones as far as complexity of visual effects.
There is a lot of Warcraft lore, so they had to pick a certain amount of the lore for this movie.
The team has to figure out which characters to shine the spotlight on.
There is concept art for Draenor, Dalaran, Ironforge, Stormwind
Making environments for the game has a lot of restrictions, but in the movie you can expand on the environment with less restriction.
Many locations in the film will be on built sets, like the Lion's Pride Inn.
The most famous character in World of Warcraft is the actual world itself.
Wardrobe and Costume design is being done by someone that has worked on Avatar.
The cinematics department is working with the special effects team to ensure the feel of WoW is still there even when it isn't a cartoon style character in game.
The team is looking at details as small as the bark on the trees in Elwynn Forest.
People who don't know the world and people who are hardcore players will both enjoy the film.
The story is Orcs vs Humans. Lothar and Durotan.
Durotan represents the highest ideal of the Orcs. He believes in his people and his future.
Both want to do the right thing for their people.
The games weren't the best way to tell this story originally, so the movie will be a great opportunity to tell the story in an even more epic way.
Someone has to win and someone has to lose, but everyone loses at least a little bit.
The movie will be shot in Vancouver (?).
The style of this war movie will be similar to Gladiator, gritty.
WoW doesn't have scabbards, so where swords will go has to be worked out.
There are no plans for an art book for the movie, but it is a possibility.
Lots of the cast has been picked out.
The first movie has to be done right, then they can think about doing more.
The majority of the movie takes place in the Eastern Kingdoms.
The lore of this time doesn't have many female characters, but the producers are pushing for including some female characters.
We will see a preview sometime next year, maybe at Blizzcon.
Metzen would like to do a TV series one day. When they originally decided to do a movie, Game of Thrones didn't exist on TV yet, so most similar stories were told in movies. If everything goes well, maybe a studio will want to do a TV show.
The Lord of the Rings movies inspired Jones to want to do this movie. He wants to match or beat them at making an awesome movie.
Someone is working on the Orcish language for the movie.
The movie will be PG13, but the PG13 rating is shifting. Batman movies are PG13.

I'll update as they go...

Personally, I'll be a bit sad if it's based on the original Warcaft...no Draenei likely :<
Last edited by MaximumOverdrive on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Re: Movie info

Unread post by Chimera »

Vancouver? Like, Vancouver, BC or is there a place in the states called Vancouver? o.o

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Shalyth wrote:Vancouver? Like, Vancouver, BC or is there a place in the states called Vancouver? o.o
There is a place in the states too. But I'd say BC seeing as HEAPS of movies are filmed in Canada XD
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

I'm hoping inside they'll go with Vancouver, BC just for the fact I'm like a 2 hour trip away from there (it's only that long cause transit is soooo slow cause the skytrain has to stop at every stop to let people on and off and the buses out by me are finicky and tend to be too early and leave or too late or not even have the one you want run in the first place)

I'd totally buy a day pass and wander all through every bit of Vancouver with my camera if they did do some filming up here and I found out about it xD

But unfortunately I can more than likely see it being the states Vancouver cause everything Blizz does seems to avoid Canada completely ._.

Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

So, if it's Lothar and the times around the origins of the horde invasion, that means modified "the Last Guardian", or at least the times around then? /fistpump

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Shalyth wrote:I'm hoping inside they'll go with Vancouver, BC just for the fact I'm like a 2 hour trip away from there (it's only that long cause transit is soooo slow cause the skytrain has to stop at every stop to let people on and off and the buses out by me are finicky and tend to be too early and leave or too late or not even have the one you want run in the first place)

I'd totally buy a day pass and wander all through every bit of Vancouver with my camera if they did do some filming up here and I found out about it xD

But unfortunately I can more than likely see it being the states Vancouver cause everything Blizz does seems to avoid Canada completely ._.
Well if they were filming they would not let you near the set with a camera XD
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Myrrmi wrote:So, if it's Lothar and the times around the origins of the horde invasion, that means modified "the Last Guardian", or at least the times around then? /fistpump
Mmmmm, well, I don't think anyone knew that Medivh was evil during the first war so it'll probably follow that timeline. But as it is with pretty much everything, there'll most likely be some modifications and changes happening in the movies storyline compared to the books and games so it all meshes properly
cowmuflage wrote:
Well if they were filming they would not let you near the set with a camera XD
Shhhh I can dream haha

Most likely I wouldn't even be able to get within a couple blocks of the set I bet ya :lol: They won't be filming on the streets no doubt so they'll probably jack areas that are heavily natural still which means they can keep people out from all directions a lot more easily since no one will have a reason to pass through

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

cowmuflage wrote:
Shalyth wrote:Vancouver? Like, Vancouver, BC or is there a place in the states called Vancouver? o.o
There is a place in the states too. But I'd say BC seeing as HEAPS of movies are filmed in Canada XD
Definitely assuming Vancouver BC as the director guy was wearing a Canucks t-shirt (Vancouver hockey team, which I only know because of my boyfriend)
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Vephriel wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:
Definitely assuming Vancouver BC as the director guy was wearing a Canucks t-shirt (Vancouver hockey team, which I only know because of my boyfriend)
LDHKLGEJDNLAKHSHVJDA:?SKNBfbv:wghjkM DMB

I want in so baaaaaad omg D:

Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Dalaran - US

Unread post by Helsinki »

Maybe I'm weird for thinking so, but... This seemed like a better idea when the talk of it first came out. WoW was a big deal then... It's not such a big deal now, and after the project is actually complete, WoW will be in the category of "people still care about that?" (Hell, it's almost there now.)

Blizzard said not all that long ago that wow will probably never see a level cap beyond 100. If that's true, this game is nearing its death rattle. But then, maybe that's the point of the movie - to make people care again.
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Helsinki wrote:Maybe I'm weird for thinking so, but... This seemed like a better idea when the talk of it first came out. WoW was a big deal then... It's not such a big deal now, and after the project is actually complete, WoW will be in the category of "people still care about that?" (Hell, it's almost there now.)

Blizzard said not all that long ago that wow will probably never see a level cap beyond 100. If that's true, this game is nearing its death rattle. But then, maybe that's the point of the movie - to make people care again.
Blizz says lots of things. Doesn't mean they can't change their minds.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Helsinki wrote:Maybe I'm weird for thinking so, but... This seemed like a better idea when the talk of it first came out. WoW was a big deal then... It's not such a big deal now, and after the project is actually complete, WoW will be in the category of "people still care about that?" (Hell, it's almost there now.)

I don't think the level 100 thing has any weight, it seems more of a rumour that's been spread around for a long while. I do agree it's pretty late for the movie, but I guess they just didn't really have any other choice with the issues they had at first and all.
Didn't I read somewhere, a fair while ago, that level 100 is where WoW would end? Where leveling would stop? Do we have any real reason, one way or the other, to confirm or deny that possibility?

Nope. Blizzard never said this, though fans have repeatedly stated it over the years as it was fact. It isn't.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

They're been trying to make a Warcraft movie for years. It just never got off the ground compared to this one.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I have to agree about the movie showing up kind of late to the game. WoW was a massive behemoth of an mmo back when this was first announced. It still is but its quite obvious that a lot of the players have grown up and moved on. It could still be a cool movie but I doubt it will have a cult following like it would have had a few years ago. We all know WoW is getting older so its a shame they couldn't get the movie off the ground sooner.
but who knows? just because the game is getting older doesn't mean the movie wont be good. :)

Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Dalaran - US

Unread post by Helsinki »

SylviaDragon wrote:I have to agree about the movie showing up kind of late to the game. WoW was a massive behemoth of an mmo back when this was first announced. It still is but its quite obvious that a lot of the players have grown up and moved on. It could still be a cool movie but I doubt it will have a cult following like it would have had a few years ago. We all know WoW is getting older so its a shame they couldn't get the movie off the ground sooner.
but who knows? just because the game is getting older doesn't mean the movie wont be good. :)
That is very true - those concepts look amazing! I will watch the movie even if I'm quit before it comes out.
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Vancouver, BC. Tons of movies and television shows are filmed there. It's less expensive and from what I understand, SAG and the other movie unions have less influence. Just about any movie with 'northern hemisphere forest-ish settings or scenes are filmed near Vancouver.

I'll be interested in seeing how the movie develops. I do hope the Horde has more than a token presence. Oh, and there'd better be Tauren. After the Dawn Treader Narnia movie not long back, there's no excuse for not having bipedal cow people.
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Boven wrote:
Vancouver, BC. Tons of movies and television shows are filmed there. It's less expensive and from what I understand, SAG and the other movie unions have less influence. Just about any movie with 'northern hemisphere forest-ish settings or scenes are filmed near Vancouver.

I'll be interested in seeing how the movie develops. I do hope the Horde has more than a token presence. Oh, and there'd better be Tauren. After the Dawn Treader Narnia movie not long back, there's no excuse for not having bipedal cow people.
I'm gonna be so stupidly happy if they do film here :lol: I'll have to make at least an effort to scout out known locations they'll be around if its at all possible

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

I dunno. I still kinda wish they weren't doing live action, and were just doing a cgi film made by the blizz movie team themselves. given the right director and screenwriter i think that would be a far better way to go and would accomplish far more visually
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net