Potential new hunter pets in WoD

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Re: Potential new hunter pets in WoD

Unread post by Quiv »

I don't think they have done the full "taming pass" yet though, theres plenty of plain ol wolves in Shadowmoon that aren't tameable yet too.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Okay, so this is a little less exciting, but I just had a little bit of fun trying to get to a named beast.

No rare, no elite, no anything. Just an obscure little NPC that I found per chance in Gorgrond by beast lore-ing it.

Roardan, the (now elite) dread raven that was a rare in early screenshots is now an elite green rylak that flies above mostly the Crimson Fen, a location in Gorgrond with a lot of red mushrooms that leads to the sea. It's above Tangleheart. This is also where the Gorgrond Sea Serpents and the sea serpent vignette Sylldross is located.

However, as I explored the Crimson Fen on my mount, on the ground, track beasts popped up a little dot. Hovering over it revealed that it was called "Lil' Roardan". Obviously, I had to check that out. So at first, as I was on the ground, I checked out the ground; no dice. Then I tried looking up and noticed the actual Roardan flying above me. That lead to the idea that it might be up in the sky. Lil' Roardan, unlike the mother, however, did not move from their spot. Instead, I looked at one of the mushrooms closest to the dot, and after that, decided to see if I could get up on there. By moving out of the Crimson Fen (from the north, at the Iyun Weald), I eventually got high enough to get on a high mushroom. From that point on, I could hop from mushroom to mushroom (disengage for the win) and eventually found this:

(Notice the draenei hoof in the nest if you look well)
(Sadly untameable, still. :( )
(I suspect mother Roardan caught unfortunate rangari prey and left him as food for little baby Roardan)

There wasn't much except for an object hammer (forgot name) in the nest, presumably once possessed by the deceased rangari, Huraand(rest in peace) which gave me the "Placeholder Treasure" item. It could potentially end up rewarding a nice transmog item or something (didn't get to see what the hammer looked like), or just a vendor grey.

Whatever the case, this is the kind of thing I love: little obscure treasures or special mobs that aren't necessarily rare or elite that can be found with a little exploring. =)
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Update on the ravager size thing. I really think this should be looked at. Same for the thunderhydra model and hook wasp model post tame.

The riverbeasts are currently at a great post-tame size. They look strong, intimidating, yet not in-the-way. Prior to their downsizing, ravagers also looked strong, intimidating, yet not-in-the-way. They might have been big, but not majorly disturbingly so. Especially compared to pets like chimaeras with a huge wingspan.

So I wouldn't see the harm in upsizing them to the size they have as dire beasts.

About that. I was lucky to get some shots. Dire beast summons a yellow ravager in Gorgrond, and I had tamed a yellow ravager, so I can compare.

Here..

Dire Beast ravager and hunter pet ravager size comparison. Dire beast on the right, pet on the left.

See? The dire beast is a lot bigger, and unnecessarily so. I mean.. I get the reason for downsizing clefthooves from their dire beast size, because clefthooves would be huge. But ravagers just look large and intimidating, not "huge" and bothersome. The size decrease for pet ravagers just takes out that intimidation factor it had before, and unnecessarily so. Now it just looks frail, tiny. I love the ravager because it is a savage, primal species, and its large, but not annoyingly so, size embodied that concept exactly before. Now it's been downsized, it looks less like a tamed beast, and a strong, proud beast crossbred with something smaller to make them just small enough to fit the hunter's own size. I've always disliked that.

Like I said: it removes the idea that you grabbed a wild animal and tamed it, and cloned it at a more handy size to maintain. It's a bit of an immersion breaker for me. I'm not talking about taming them at their size as it is exactly in the wild, but more so the size the ravager mobs seem to consistently be, which is around as large as the dire beast version.

It sounds like a whiny complaint, but it does determine how a pet feels to the hunter, so I think it's quite important.

the dire beast ravager close to my dwarven character. I think that's around the perfect size, really.

hunter pet ravager, a bit closer to my dwarven character (easier to position, and doesn't fade away)

And mind you, it's a dwarf, which aren't too large to begin with.

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

It's those downsizes that makes playing a male draenei suck sometimes... l tower over almost all of my pets except maybe Devilsaurs & the furry worms. I'd hate to tower over these guys too.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Here's where the Young Silverpelt is in Shadowmoon.

Level 90, blue Draenor Talbuk.

Can't get a good picture of them, but the Silverwing Kaliri uses the new WoD Kaliri model with black feathers. Not tameable yet though.
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_080714_154001.jpg (264.33 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

This might be silly and extreamly unlikely..BUT..have anyone checked the Cows and sheeps?! XD
I know many are marked as Beasts. I know it is unlikely but it would be hillarious to have a killer fluffy sheep or cow.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

I did a quick pass...

The sea serpents in Uldum are still untameable, though the one in Gorgrond remains so.

The skeletal raptors in Wetlands and skeletal wind serpents in Tanaris are still undead.

Edit: The sheep, cow, and deer in Elwynn aren't tameable either. I was kinda hoping to romp around with a cow for a while :lol:
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

seiferzero wrote:A question : if The new core hound model will be used in special and temporary Mc LFR , that pet if tameable would be a sort of limited edition ?
I don't think we have any news about that model yet, but I honestly could see Blizzard completely replacing the original core hound with it, the same way they did with the old fire giants. At least that would be my hope. The new version is a very nice revamp that keeps the look and spirit of the original, the only difference is that it's higher quality, so I think they could safely use it in place of all the old red core hounds. Maybe they'd even get around to make green versions as well.
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

Quivering wrote:I did a quick pass...

The sea serpents in Uldum are still untameable, though the one in Gorgrond remains so.

The skeletal raptors in Wetlands and skeletal wind serpents in Tanaris are still undead.

Edit: The sheep, cow, and deer in Elwynn aren't tameable either. I was kinda hoping to romp around with a cow for a while :lol:
aww man XD the fun i would have had with a tiny black sheep

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

In terms of sheep, why not give Mages a unique polymorph spell?

"Polymorph Pet"
"Polymorph's a friendly target's pet to look like a sheep for one hour. Persists through death."

Applies a buff to the pet itself, and the buff can be cleansed off by casting Dismiss Pet. Something silly like that would be a wonderful addition to the teamwork of Mages and Hunters, or even Warlocks and other Mages.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

I don't know if this was noted or any others have been found, but I found a plant hydra marked as a beast. Its currently untameable (and a vignette) and I kinda doubt we'll get one (unfortunately) but it made me wonder!

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Quivering wrote:I don't know if this was noted or any others have been found, but I found a plant hydra marked as a beast. Its currently untameable (and a vignette) and I kinda doubt we'll get one (unfortunately) but it made me wonder!

I would disown Chimaeron for a plant hydra. So very fast. I'd prefer the green with red mouth one, but a mean green(purple) mother from outer space is fine too.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

ah kind of saddened by the ravager. I thought they were a perfect size. they may look big and scary next to a dwarf but next to some of the taller classes like draenei, tauren and even night elves I imagine they will start to look tiny.

The new wind serpent looks interesting. If the blood is animated I may have to grab one. Love the ominous look it has. Also quite surprised by the undead one! hope its permanent.

for some reason I am not too big on the wod talbuk. I think the bc ones look nicer. maybe that will chance when i can see more skins. wasn't there a ghost one that was seen a few builds back?

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

SylviaDragon wrote:The new wind serpent looks interesting. If the blood is animated I may have to grab one. Love the ominous look it has. Also quite surprised by the undead one! hope its permanent.
It is animated similar to the anima ooze, but its kinda weird on the wind serpent model. Animated nonetheless
Keely43
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Eonar

Unread post by Keely43 »

ShootsAlot wrote:Well, I was on my way to check for that cool anima serpent, I found someone else who was DYING for me to tame them :D
Update: I found the Wind Serpent in the egg, he is indeed the anima model, but is currently untamable (very intimidating model though).
Oh god...

MY HEART!!! :headbang: Yes,I have always wanted this since I was a newby to the game! I didn't know that undead (the ones in Tanaris)
were untamable,so my heart stopped when I saw," You cannot tame this creature." I was so sad,and now I'm freaking out in my chair!! :lol:
Siggy and Avatar under CoNsTrUcTiOn!!

IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME! Just keep waiting.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

http://wod.wowhead.com/npc=77430#modelviewer:10+0

People knew of this mob already, right? If not: blue Ji'kun! YAY!

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Not enough stable space anymore *Faints*

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Qraljar wrote:http://wod.wowhead.com/npc=77430#modelviewer:10+0

That thing is NEVER alive to beast lore. It's a miracle to even see its corpse.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

WerebearGuy wrote:
Qraljar wrote:http://wod.wowhead.com/npc=77430#modelviewer:10+0

That thing is NEVER alive to beast lore. It's a miracle to even see its corpse.

I beast lore'd it. It has a diet, but isn't tameable.

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

Quivering wrote:I don't think they have done the full "taming pass" yet though, theres plenty of plain ol wolves in Shadowmoon that aren't tameable yet too.
Plus, they still have to pass the "Shale Worms" in Deepholm if they are indeed going to be tameable.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."