New Character Models Discussion - Update! Fem Gnome Faces

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Re: New Character Models Discussion - Update! Fem Gnome Face

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I like the tauren female but I still am not happy with it honestly.

It just doesn't resemble the old model that well... and that edit shows my biggest concerns. The nose is a half nose - more akin to that of a canine than a bovine. The mouth hanging open wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't open ALL of the time. The eyes are also really red for some reason? And the chin is way too big, but that's not as big of a concern for me.

All of the fur patterns are simply copy-pasted from the males, as the spotty ones have exactly the same pattern as the males' (no more cute spotted legs). A lot of the colors are off, too.

You can see when the fem tauren is in motion how odd she looks with her mouth hanging open, compared to the males -

I know a lot of races still need tweaks, but I just hope tauren female get looked at, as well as human female. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with them all.

(Sorry for the long post)
Last edited by Lupen202 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Snowy
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Snowy »

Okay I was fine with the female Tauren until I saw that gif above... just... WHAT?! What's wrong with her nose? That is NOT a bovine nose. .___.

Oh my god she looks like an ape... She actually looks like something from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. :lol:

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

The tauren females are probably my least favourite of the revamps. They just dropped the ball on them. I had really been hoping that the new models would allow me to finally play one, but the faces are just terrifying. I had high hopes after the males because I completely love them, but the females are just something I'll never play now if they stay with how they are. Their new jump animation looks super wonky as well.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Uuugh yeah. This worries me a lot. I main a female tauren, I love my female tauren, but the update is just... not there yet. At all. :\ The hanging open mouth is killing them for me- as well as the lack of vibrancy in the new fur texture. The old furs were so shiny and brightly colored, and the new ones are just dull.

Really really not pleased.

Also my two undead still cannot be replicated and I'm not happy about that either.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Also, male worgen are STILL whitewashed and that makes me really unhappy. It makes my friend (who's char's human form has always been really dark) SUPER unhappy, to the point where she's thinking of racechanging the character completely, and this is one she's had that way for ten years. It's bad enough that male worgen's human skin tone has zero relationship to their fur (unlike girls who go from light to dark in a sensible fashion), now it's just 'any color you like as long as it's whitebread'.

The tauren thing is still very much small potatoes to me in comparison, I dunno. As far as model tweaks though, the male night elf has some real motor issues too; he runs very weird, and his jump's off too. And the female gnomes are still all really pissed off. Male trolls still don't look like they have a finished hi-rez skin texture either. It's so close to the wire I just don't know if they're going to address anything more, although I guess there's still hope when they put in the belfs that they'll make a pass at everyone.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Mmmf, trolls also have really floaty, strange run animations that really put me off. And damn, I didn't even notice male worgen whitewashing, that's gross. >.<

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Well there's a new build today apparently, so crossing my hooves/paws/fingers for some tweaks to ANY models.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Trolls are bugging me. It's the run. They look like they should be stretching their legs wide and instead of running they lope? Is that the right word? However now they just look like the gravity on Draenor is off and they're struggling to stay on the ground :lol:

And Tauren...please lady, close your mouth! You look like you're about to charge at someone calm yourself!
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Mm, a lot of the run animations have similar oddnesses. I have a feeling they tried to over exaggerate them a lot to show off the new models and rigs, but we ended up with motions that look almost too cartoony. The night elf males I definitely noticed it with, and the undead females, along with others. It's like they're trying to make up for the stiffness of some of the original animations but they went a bit too far. I'm not sure how to describe it exactly, it's just the feeling I get from some of the animations. A lot of them look great! But the running is particularly noticeable when you spend so much time looking at it. A few races almost give me a sense of motion sickness with the way they're very hoppy/overstated now, if that makes sense.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I love both the dwarf female & male run. I also like the new tauren female run, actually - at first I was taken aback by it but as I've ran around more on beta I really enjoy it. Same with male tauren - reminds me of a charging bull. Human female & male run looks great too. Orc is fine.

Fem troll definitely bugs me the most (which is a shame because aside from the run, I think they look amazing - they did an awesome job updating them), and I haven't played enough of undead to have an opinion on their run.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Kayro wrote:However now they just look like the gravity on Draenor is off and they're struggling to stay on the ground :lol:
THAT IS EXACTLY IT. The trolls are so bouncy that it looks like they have trouble staying on the ground! Plus they don't seem to use that huge leg length they have- they keep their legs mostly bent all the time, so it's like they're lightly jogging instead of actually running.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Snowy wrote:Okay I was fine with the female Tauren until I saw that gif above... just... WHAT?! What's wrong with her nose? That is NOT a bovine nose. .___.

Oh my god she looks like an ape... She actually looks like something from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. :lol:

Planet of the Apes is what came to my mind, too.

The nose and upper lip of the new female Tauren model makes me think that whoever was in charge of the revamp looked at goats instead of cattle. I still can't figure out why they gave them that split upper lip. I'll admit that it's not uncommon to see cattles' lower front teeth when they've closed their mouths, but that doesn't explain why the poor Tauren girls can't close their mouths at all.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I find that a lot of the "new model" female faces have this "OMG SURPRISED!!!" look to them.
Though I'm a bit shocked at just how "zombie-ish" the new gnome and dwarf faces are.
They remind me of the gnome-enemies you fight at level 1 in the underground starter zone.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I really like the female tauren noses ;-;
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Tauren female noses need to be redone so they aren't goat noses, otherwise the new model is perfect
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
13thmaiden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by 13thmaiden »

I'm so glad to find there's others talking about the models and their needed tweaks and criticisms! And I put you on my list of model critique thread on the forums at Blizzard! Hopefully with enough of a large list maybe the blues will start noticing we're serious about some of these tweaks!!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14609530839

^--- The list if you wanna see it. :D
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

So glad my Tauren is a male, otherwise I'd have a goat for a druid :lol: :mrgreen:

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Not ALL of the noses look the same though. I noticed when I was scrolling through the female tauren faces that the way the nostrils/nose leather looks varies hugely from one face to another. The one that people are saying looks like a goat is the one that used to represent the one that had tiny nostrils and kind of looked like a tube-nosed bat in the original model.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

the female cow imo looks hideous Q_Q
The eyes of the human females...no.
Gnomes...why so angry D=

My main character is a human hunter...if they doesnt change the eyes...well.. she will be used alot less

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

So I think I know what the problem with the Whitewashed Worgen is. And if I'm right, Blizzard will probably never fix it. :P

A lot of people have been grousing that instead of being exactly like they were, female tauren patterns are now 'copy pasted' from the males. The old models had specifically rendered skins, so they were unique to the model. Now, it appears that both genders of Tauren are accessing shared skin color files, ensuring consistency between genders. Same colors, same spot patterns, just tweaked over the model to fit.

Now, since Worgen are the only race with a gross dichotomy of skin colors (in fact, I think they're the only race that's different at all), the girls have about 10 or 12 skin color options, while the males have been stuck with a paltry 5. If they're sharing the same list, then the girls get the whole range of options (as they currently do) but the males are only drawing from the first five entries in the list, meaning they're all still well within the 'pale' range. Unless Blizzard gets off their butt and evens up the skin options, the way the skin resourcing code works means that worgen are just perma-shafted. Which really bloody well sucks. I don't know why the males get so screwed when it comes to options anyway; I complained about it bitterly in Cata (to no avail, obvs) but now it's coming back to make matters worse than they were.